PDA

View Full Version : Grant

Tony Oday
08-28-2008, 02:12 PM
I just do not understand all the love for Grant. In fantasy football or real football. This guy is not a savior, though I hope I am wrong, and has only played 10 games in the NFL on a team that sets up the run through the pass when #4 was here. Now he is going to have to do it behind a patchwork line and a Rookie under center, dont get mad I still think Automatic Rodgers is going to be good.

I love the fact that he can shed tackles and makes the one cut and goes that is how this running game is supposed to be, however I dont think he is even in the top 10 in the NFL as a RB. I also remember him getting caught from behind a lot on long runs, though I did love the long runs, he isnt a burner that is for sure.

What do you all think? I mean for a 6th round pick that we sent it was a GREAT return on value but now what does everyone think he will do this year?

Gunakor
08-28-2008, 02:17 PM
I think it depends on how Rodgers fares this season. If Rodgers struggles, teams will stack the box and Grant won't find many easy yards. If Rodgers catches fire, defenses will be forced to play more honest and drop more into coverage. If that happens, I don't see Grant being any less productive than he was last season. His vision and burst are still there, unless I've missed something. He should have no problem with a 5 or 6 man front. It's 8 in the box that could ruin his season. It's up to Rodgers to see that he doesn't have to deal with one very often.

The Leaper
08-28-2008, 02:24 PM
I also remember him getting caught from behind a lot on long runs

I don't remember him getting caught from behind much at all. There were times that a defender had the proper angle on him...but more often than not he took his big gainers to the house last year.

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2008, 02:28 PM
I don't remember him getting caught from behind much at all. There were times that a defender had the proper angle on him...but more often than not he took his big gainers to the house last year.

Agreed. He has good speed. He ran a 40 in the mid-4.4s coming up. That's good--especially for a bigger RB.

Sparkey
08-28-2008, 02:34 PM
I also remember him getting caught from behind a lot on long runs

Those happened as he was hitting the hole, because a tackle or TE missed a backside block more often than not.

Tony Oday
08-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Honestly most of the times I 'remember' him getting caught could have been just great angles...I do like his burst but everyone seems to be lumping him in with the second tier good backs in the NFL and I just don't see that after 10 games. I mean AP is a great back that will have trouble with injuries because of Jump Pass and the passing game in MN but he 'seemed' like a good, with great potential as a RB, where as Grant reminded me a lot of a Denver RB, nothing that special but gets 1200 yards a year.

SkinBasket
08-28-2008, 02:45 PM
I'll take an "unspecial" 1200 yards over a spectacular 700 yards.

sheepshead
08-28-2008, 02:52 PM
If Ryan Grant stays healthy, he'll be in the 1000-1200 yard range easily. The kids the real deal, barring unforeseen circumstances, he's going to produce.

KYPack
08-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Tony,

He's big and fast. He's experienced and plays with fire. Guy's got shake, knows when to cut, and has the offense down cold. What else do you want in a back?

This wasn't your swiftest post.

Tony Oday
08-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Tony,

He's big and fast. He's experienced and plays with fire. Guy's got shake, knows when to cut, and has the offense down cold. What else do you want in a back?

This wasn't your swiftest post.

Whoa I agree he is a big kid, liked him when I saw him run over a LB playing for the Giants, with a burst and one cut I get that, I just don't understand how the bandwagon got loaded up so fast.

I may have not worded this correctly I just dont see him as a top 10 back yet. If he runs 1200 yards with 7-10 TDs well heck there isnt anything you could want more! What are the odds that he is going to do crack that this year?

Again I think he is good however I just don't see how the kool-aid got passed around this much. Heck Jennings doesnt get this much love ;)

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Whoa I agree he is a big kid, liked him when I saw him run over a LB playing for the Giants, with a burst and one cut I get that, I just don't understand how the bandwagon got loaded up so fast.

He led the conference in rushing once he took over the starting job. That will get a bandwagon loaded up fast.

texaspackerbacker
08-28-2008, 04:25 PM
I've said consistently, Ryan Grant is a unique special talent, no less than the 3rd best RB in the NFL behind Peterson and Tomlinson (in that order).

The ONLY possible knock on him anybody could rationally have is that 2/3 or so of a season is not enough to prove how good he is. Fine, if you think that, I'll make it a prediction rather than a proven fact.

Tony Oday
08-28-2008, 04:27 PM
I've said consistently, Ryan Grant is a unique special talent, no less than the 3rd best RB in the NFL behind Peterson and Tomlinson (in that order).

The ONLY possible knock on him anybody could rationally have is that 2/3 or so of a season is not enough to prove how good he is. Fine, if you think that, I'll make it a prediction rather than a proven fact.

Maybe that is the best way I should look at it, a prediction rather than a proven fact :) That makes more sense to me.

mraynrand
08-28-2008, 04:47 PM

Maybe that is the best way I should look at it, a prediction rather than a proven fact :) That makes more sense to me.
Count me in. Grant as a 1800-2000 yard rusher is the prescription the Packers need to fill.

boiga
08-28-2008, 05:05 PM
He led the conference in rushing once he took over the starting job. That will get a bandwagon loaded up fast.

It was that and the fact that he was such a HUGE upgrade over the other RB's on the roster that make so many consider him a savior. Peterson's probably overrated considering that Chester Taylor ran nearly as well as Peterson did behind the same Oline.

Ryan Grant gave us a running game. The vikes still had one even after AP got injured. So, Grant is the more valuable RB.

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Adrian Peterson isn't overrated. He may or may not be injury prone, but there hasn't been a better runner come into the league since Jim Brown. LaDainian Tomlinson is still a better overall RB at this point. Marshall Faulk and Walter Payton were too, but Peterson is an incredible runner. Just on pure all-around running ability, I'd rank Peterson second behind Brown (and maybe Barry Sanders--who had such a unique style that it's hard to compare him to other guys) and just ahead of Eric Dickerson. Part of the reason why their (Peterson/Taylor) yards/carry were similar may be how the defense schemed when each was in the game. Also, let's not forget that Peterson's stats took a hit when he came back from injury.

Partial
08-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Adrian Peterson isn't overrated. He may or may not be injury prone, but there hasn't been a better runner come into the league since Jim Brown. LaDainian Tomlinson is still a better overall RB at this point. Marshall Faulk and Walter Payton were too, but Peterson is an incredible runner. Just on pure all-around running ability, I'd rank Peterson second behind Brown (and maybe Barry Sanders--who had such a unique style that it's hard to compare him to other guys) and just ahead of Eric Dickerson. Part of the reason why their (Peterson/Taylor) yards/carry were similar may be how the defense schemed when each was in the game. Also, let's not forget that Peterson's stats took a hit when he came back from injury.

Wise man Harv. I can't believe a rare talent like AD dropped to #7. He's going to be a special, special player.

texaspackerbacker
08-28-2008, 05:20 PM

Didn't Gale Sayers come into the league after Brown? I'd agree that Peterson tops just about everybody in the last several decades, but not quite Gale Sayers.

Grant is a different kind of runner, and arguably, he is more valuable to the Packers, although we DO have a helluva a lot of other talent than the Vikings. Time will tell, but Peterson, at this early stage, appears to be even better than Grant. Grant just might last longer, though.

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Didn't Gale Sayers come into the league after Brown? I'd agree that Peterson tops just about everybody in the last several decades, but not quite Gale Sayers.

I haven't seen enough of Sayers to have a informed observation of him. A lot of people from that era like him, but to me he didn't seem like an all-around runner. He had incredible moves and speed, but wasn't a power runner. More like Barry Sanders. Peterson, Brown, and Dickerson were three guys that could shake, overpower, and outrun defenders.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

boiga
08-28-2008, 05:26 PM

My point was more that Grant was a bigger upgrade over Morency/Wynn/Jackson last year than Peterson was over Taylor. Sure the kid has talent, but his Oline deserves equal credit for the Vikes run game.

It's hard to make direct comparisons between these guys because of all the factors like their blockers, the offensive scheme, etc. Our Oline stank at run blocking for most of last year. Ryan Grant single handedly made that unit productive. So, he deserves much of the adulation he received last season.

Partial
08-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Chester Taylor is just a guy. Money Morency (albeit he has immense potential) is just a guy, same with Jackson as this point. Peterson is much better than Grant. The dropoff is greater from Peterson to Taylor than it is from Grant to Morency, because Peterson is that much better than Grant.

To me, I like Grant because he is fast and unafraid to hit. Kind of reminds me of a young Ahman Green. I'm hopeful that he can carry a team on his shoulders like Green and be the feature of the offense. His success will allow A-Rod's life to be much, much easier this season.

With that said, he had one of the best seasons for a running back ever. The only runner I've ever seen that I thought was more impressive and a bigger threat was Barry.

Tony Oday
08-28-2008, 05:34 PM
But what about Gado!? ;) hehe

Tyrone Bigguns
08-28-2008, 05:37 PM

A certain rb might cut you for not including him.

To not have him is ridiculous. He was the whole offense.

texaspackerbacker
08-28-2008, 05:37 PM

I haven't seen enough of Sayers to have a informed observation of him. A lot of people from that era like him, but to me he didn't seem like an all-around runner. He had incredible moves and speed, but wasn't a power runner. More like Barry Sanders. Peterson, Brown, and Dickerson were three guys that could shake, overpower, and outrun defenders.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I wouldn't really say wrong. However, Sayers did have decent "burst"--like Peterson and Grant. I think he had even more pure speed than Sanders, and he was almost as shifty.

Since we're discussing quality RBs of the past 30 or 40 years, OJ was damn good in his prime too.

My criterion for greatness is that the guy seemed like a real threat to go all the way on any given play, and also could get the job done when blocking broke down.

I don't recall anybody in my lifetime like that other than Brown, Sayers, Simpson, maybe Sanders, and now maybe Peterson.

Partial
08-28-2008, 05:41 PM

Ok that is just crazy talk.

Give me Stephen Jackson, Reggie Bush, Frank Gore, Bryan Westbrook and Marion Barber over him in the NFC alone.

He has talent, but has a lot to prove. He has the opportunity to be a very good player, on the level with those listed above and the other premiere backs of the NFL.

Don't flame me for Bush, but I think he's poised for an epic year.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-28-2008, 05:48 PM

Ok that is just crazy talk.

Give me Stephen Jackson, Reggie Bush, Frank Gore, Bryan Westbrook and Marion Barber over him in the NFC alone.

He has talent, but has a lot to prove. He has the opportunity to be a very good player, on the level with those listed above and the other premiere backs of the NFL.

Don't flame me for Bush, but I think he's poised for an epic year.

I"ve already pointed this out to him before.

You can add portis, brandon jacobs (great talent..too many backs on the team), addai, ronnie brown, willie parker, magahee, lewis, white (on a bad leg), LJ, lynch, and michael turner..career 5.5 average.

while some may be debatable...there is no case to say grant is better...yet.

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2008, 07:07 PM
A certain rb might cut you for not including him.

He's dead to me.
:D

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Chester Taylor is just a guy. Money Morency (albeit he has immense potential) is just a guy, same with Jackson as this point. Peterson is much better than Grant. The dropoff is greater from Peterson to Taylor than it is from Grant to Morency, because Peterson is that much better than Grant.

I wouldn't go this far. Taylor is a quality RB. A decent starter. Huge upgrade on Morency. It's probably about even--as far as Peterson to Taylor and Grant to Jackson.

bobblehead
08-28-2008, 09:54 PM
this thread has taken the silly pill. You can't put AP or Grant in any company yet. come on, bo jackson, marcus allen, you didn't even mention them...emmit smith anyone? how about how great billy simms looked before injuries...curt warren?? Excellent backs with burst aren't all that rare, ones that get on a team that runs and last a long time get more credit.

For my money I'm a dickerson fan...6'4" with top end speed and crazy vision. Lasted a long time, had a 2k yard season, and multiple 1500 seasons. but still, I can't put him well above brown, simpson, emmit, sanders, ect. I won't even put LT in the breath with those guys yet. LJ was the man just what...2 years ago? Shawn Alexander?

RB's are a dime a dozen, and there are 2 levels. 1, guys who have good burst, break arm tackles, and great vision, with no blocking they get a yard or 2. level 2, guys with decent skills taht can get it done behind a good line, but without blocking don't get anything done. Level 3, everyone who gets cut.

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2008, 10:02 PM
I never said he was the second best RB of all-time.

He may or may not be injury prone, but there hasn't been a better runner come into the league since Jim Brown.

Seriously. Peterson has crazy skills. Apparently, not too many people have watched him a lot. Athletically, he is to RBs what Randy Moss was to WRs when he came out. Of course, Green Bay as a team still did as well or better than the Vikings with Moss.

esoxx
08-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Someone who burst on the scene in a dominating fashion was Earl Campbell. Incredible power and ability.

Freak Out
08-28-2008, 10:10 PM
For my money I'm a dickerson fan...6'4" with top end speed and crazy vision. Lasted a long time, had a 2k yard season, and multiple 1500 seasons.

As soon as he got rid of those shoes. :)

bobblehead
08-28-2008, 10:12 PM
I never said he was the second best RB of all-time.

He may or may not be injury prone, but there hasn't been a better runner come into the league since Jim Brown.

Seriously. Peterson has crazy skills. Apparently, not too many people have watched him a lot. Athletically, he is to RBs what Randy Moss was to WRs when he came out. Of course, Green Bay as a team still did as well or better than the Vikings with Moss.

I agree, he is fantastic, I disagree he is the best runner to come out since jim brown. I watched him plenty last year, he is a stud. But guys like dickerson, sanders, smith...you can't say he is better than them. As you said, sanders was unique, but smith had goofy vision, as did dickerson, along with size and speed. and Bo Jackson imo was the most talented runner ever, but his career was spotty. Lets see what happens with AP this year, if he pops off 2k in his second year I'll put him in terell davis territory.

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2008, 10:23 PM
I agree, he is fantastic, I disagree he is the best runner to come out since jim brown. I watched him plenty last year, he is a stud. But guys like dickerson, sanders, smith...you can't say he is better than them. As you said, sanders was unique, but smith had goofy vision, as did dickerson, along with size and speed. and Bo Jackson imo was the most talented runner ever, but his career was spotty. Lets see what happens with AP this year, if he pops off 2k in his second year I'll put him in terell davis territory.

Jim Brown
Eric Dickerson
Adrian Peterson

Broke the mold on size, speed, moves. I forgot about Bo. Athletically, he was a freak and he'd belong in this group. I won't say Sanders. Great moves and speed, but didn't have the power of these guys. Same with Sayers. Emmitt Smith is laughable. He was a very good RB that played behind GREAT run blocking OL. Payton was close, but not quite in their league as a runner. He was a phenomenal blocker and receiver though. Tough as nails too.

IMHO, the five most gifted runners in NFL history were: Brown, Dickerson, Peterson, Bo Jackson, and O.J. Simpson.

If I had to rank them, I'd rank them Brown, Bo, Peterson, Dickerson, and Simpson

There are a bunch of other guys that are nearly as gifted as those guys as runners (Sanders, LT, Steven Jackson, Larry Johnson, Marcus Allen, Marshall Faulk, Payton, etc.) However, those guys are my top 5 for most physically gifted runners of all-time.

Now, Peterson has a LONG way to go before he can match their accomplishments. He needs longevity.

superfan
08-28-2008, 10:51 PM
I agree with the overall premise of the original post, which I take to be praise but skepticism. I love what I saw out of Grant last year, but I think it is premature to crown him as one of the top 5-10 backs in the NFL.

His biggest attribute seems to be hitting the hole with a full head of steam. He gets the ball, he is immediately hitting the LOS. This is effective in regards to limiting negative yardage and breaking occasional big runs. Whether this is sustainable with success over a full season, I don't know.

Scott Campbell
08-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Adrian Peterson isn't overrated. He may or may not be injury prone, but there hasn't been a better runner come into the league since Jim Brown.

Holy shit!

He just leap frogged Walter Peyton and Barry Sanders in just a single year.

Scott Campbell
08-28-2008, 11:22 PM
I just do not understand all the love for Grant.

Its simple Tony - too many big runs, through too many tiny creases, through too many would be tacklers to be a fluke.

I sure hope my eyes weren't lying to me last year, because that's what I saw.

Bossman641
08-28-2008, 11:59 PM

Peterson is a superstar, no doubt, but I think you are underrating Taylor a bit. He's a very solid RB. Morency is a guy who might not even make the team. I'd say dropoff from Grant to Mo is greater than AP to Taylor, especially when you factor in the Vikings' OL.

texaspackerbacker
08-29-2008, 12:04 AM
Dickerson is the one Grant reminds me of the most.

I clean forgot Payton--and Emmit Smith too. I guess that means that longevity and pure ability are very different.

Tyrone, I overlooked your "cutting" post earlier, but I assume you refer to the guy I mentioned--the Juice. If not, who? Scary to think we agree on something. At least we apparently don't about Grant.

bobblehead
08-29-2008, 12:47 PM

I clean forgot Payton--and Emmit Smith too. I guess that means that longevity and pure ability are very different.

Tyrone, I overlooked your "cutting" post earlier, but I assume you refer to the guy I mentioned--the Juice. If not, who? Scary to think we agree on something. At least we apparently don't about Grant.

He reminds me of dickerson...well, not in the least. Curt Warren I think was the name of the guy from seattle who was a rookie same year as Dickerson and he was VERY much like Grant...a one cut runner. He saw the hold, cut to it and ran with full intensity. Great vision, really good speed and not too easy to take down. Heres to hoping Grant doesn't follow his career path of a blown knee in his second season.

Partial
08-29-2008, 12:54 PM

Peterson is a superstar, no doubt, but I think you are underrating Taylor a bit. He's a very solid RB. Morency is a guy who might not even make the team. I'd say dropoff from Grant to Mo is greater than AP to Taylor, especially when you factor in the Vikings' OL.

Taylor has shown more than Morency but Morency has all the traits required to be successful in the NFL. Now that he's healthy he looks a lot better than BJack in every facet of the game so far.

Bossman641
08-29-2008, 01:04 PM

Taylor has shown more than Morency but Morency has all the traits required to be successful in the NFL. Now that he's healthy he looks a lot better than BJack in every facet of the game so far.

What games have you been watching? Morency hasn't done shit, hasn't really been given the chance, but still. 8 carries for 12 yards? I'm just wondering what you are basing this on.

mission
08-29-2008, 01:06 PM

You know nothing about football, success or the NFL.

Sorry, just the facts.

Try me again.

Partial
08-29-2008, 04:32 PM

What games have you been watching? Morency hasn't done shit, hasn't really been given the chance, but still. 8 carries for 12 yards? I'm just wondering what you are basing this on.

He has gotten several key first downs as the third down back, and had a great camp. Money Morency would be a capable number 2.

Partial
08-29-2008, 04:39 PM

Sorry, just the facts.

Try me again.

Ya know. I went and googled you and found out that you speak horrendous english and produce amateurish beats. Hell, I've done better with mario paint and that music editor.

With that said, you're too hood for me, and like Ty you're always right, so I'm not going to bother justifying the rest.

i make music.

i train producers.

i make records.

i literally do this.

with names you know, on tracks you know.

in the city you know.

get at me.

You're so modest to, btw. Nice pic as well. Look real hood to me.

Scott Campbell
08-29-2008, 04:51 PM

He reminds me of dickerson...well, not in the least. Curt Warren I think was the name of the guy from seattle who was a rookie same year as Dickerson and he was VERY much like Grant...a one cut runner. He saw the hold, cut to it and ran with full intensity. Great vision, really good speed and not too easy to take down. Heres to hoping Grant doesn't follow his career path of a blown knee in his second season.

Curt Warner had a decent career. 4 Thousand yard seasons and one 985 yard season. He was quite a bit smaller though - 5-11 and 205.

mission
08-29-2008, 04:56 PM

Sorry, just the facts.

Try me again.

Ya know. I went and googled you and found out that you speak horrendous english and produce amateurish beats. Hell, I've done better with mario paint and that music editor.

With that said, you're too hood for me, and like Ty you're always right, so I'm not going to bother justifying the rest.

i make music.

i train producers.

i make records.

i literally do this.

with names you know, on tracks you know.

in the city you know.

get at me.

You're so modest to, btw. Nice pic as well. Look real hood to me.

that's from soundclick... havent used it in quite some time.

nice try tho... you're such a dork.

packerbacker1234
08-29-2008, 08:24 PM
The only way you don't understand the fantasy love for him, is because you didn't have him single handidly beat your team, or take you from a bottom dweller to final playoff team... to a champion... like he did for so many.

The 10 regular season games he started, he had the most fantasy points of any running back in the league. Naturally, not on anyone's roster, anyone who seemed buried who needed a diamond in the rough got one, and rode him to the title.

Thats the reason for fantasy love.

Likewise, the reason for the love is, until he played last year, it looked like NO ONE could run behind that putrid line. He ran hard, and earned a 5.1 yard per carry average. Yes it was only 10 games... but it was only 16 for Adrian Peterson.

So, should the vikings not be excitied about him then? I mean, thats only 6 more games then our guy.

esoxx
08-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Thats the reason for fantasy love.

I thought the reason was Jessica Biel.

Eh, what do I know?