PDA

View Full Version : Cullpepper's Open Letter To The NFL

Chevelle2
08-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Must read, IMO

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/29/an-open-letter-from-daunte-culpepper/

Scott Campbell
08-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Vet minimum? Didn't we offer substantially more than that?

I like the idea of guys working without agents. I think John Stockton did it here.

Guiness
08-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Mmm - interesting letter. Have to respect the guy for writing it. I don't like some of the things he did around the time he was trying to get away from Minn, but at least this shows that he wasn't doing it out of ego, that he was just doing what he felt he had to - whether you agree with his decisions or not.

It is curious that he didn't end up in a camp. I don't know why he would be 'blackballed' - he's never held out, been a cancer, etc. If he's true to his word, and just wants to be in a camp, I'm surprised he isn't.

The answer seems to point to something that I choose not to embrace at this time.
You can read this two ways, and it depends how honest he's being with himself. One guess is that the blackballing - the other is that 32 GM's agree that he's finished!

Tyrone Bigguns
08-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Who did Daunte get to write that letter.

Scott Campbell
08-29-2008, 06:14 PM

SO NOW A BLACK MAN CAN'T BE ARTICULATE?!?!?!

Tyrone Bigguns
08-29-2008, 06:55 PM

When Daunte uses the term "on the eve" it will be the first time.

As for being articulate...i lived in orlando when duante went to UCF. Duante attended UCF because his test scores blew..and his grams got paid (i had a friend working at a major chain furniture store..and said her whole house got new furniture).

Artic: This is writing...wrong word scott.

Scott Campbell
08-29-2008, 07:32 PM

As for being articulate...i lived in orlando when duante went to UCF. Duante attended UCF because his test scores blew..and his grams got paid (i had a friend working at a major chain furniture store..and said her whole house got new furniture).

Hmmm. So are you avoiding the question because YOU ARE A RACIST?!?!?!

:lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
08-29-2008, 07:38 PM

Hmmm. So are you avoiding the question because YOU ARE A RACIST?!?!?!

:lol:

I didn't know the question was serious.

The question in itself is foolish.

imscott72
08-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Interesting letter. It sure sounds to me as if Daunte is trying to say he isn't getting a chance because he's black.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Interesting letter. It sure sounds to me as if Daunte is trying to say he isn't getting a chance because he's black.

Where in the world do you get that?

imscott72
08-29-2008, 07:46 PM

This paragraph.

Recently the Commissioner called to let me know that I was on the top of the list for a job if a key veteran got hurt. I really appreciate the Commissioner’s help, but I hate that I have to wait for a fellow QB to experience the misfortune of an injury in order for me to have an opportunity to continue my career. Why was I not given the chance to compete for a job? This is my question to the NFL. The answer seems to point to something that I choose not to embrace at this time. So instead, I will continue to believe for the best and prepare for the worst.

Of course I may be overanalyzing it, but that was my first reaction.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-29-2008, 07:50 PM

This paragraph.

Recently the Commissioner called to let me know that I was on the top of the list for a job if a key veteran got hurt. I really appreciate the Commissioner’s help, but I hate that I have to wait for a fellow QB to experience the misfortune of an injury in order for me to have an opportunity to continue my career. Why was I not given the chance to compete for a job? This is my question to the NFL. The answer seems to point to something that I choose not to embrace at this time. So instead, I will continue to believe for the best and prepare for the worst.

I think you are reaching. Plenty of black QBs in the league.

Could be that he doesn't want to embrace:

1. He is viewed as done
2. Viewed as a troublemaker (no agent)
3. Viewed as not good enough to compete
4. Viewed as strictly a backup
5. Viewed as having not part of anyone's future.

imscott72
08-29-2008, 07:55 PM

This paragraph.

1. He is viewed as done

Well at this point it could be any of those reasons and until he says something else I guess we're just left with our opinions and interpretations of what he did say.

Guiness
08-29-2008, 10:50 PM

1. He is viewed as done

Agreed, and I alluded to that in my post above. Except of course the reasons you mention are not likely the ones he's contemplating!!!!

My guess is he's insinuating he's been marked as a pariah. Why he would think that is hard to tell. Maybe he has a persecution complex? I'm not being facetious here -

Does race come into it? I don't know. I can't see why it would, or why he would even think it would. His statement is incredibly vague though, so it's not possible to tell what he was thinking.

MJZiggy
08-29-2008, 10:55 PM
I can see why he would. He's brought race into things before when it wasn't part of a discussion. I think he sees himself as a pioneer, showing that a black man can play quarterback, but the thing that perhaps he hasn't noticed is that it's not so rare as it was when he showed up in the NFL. Of course, this is just based on things that he's said in the past. I could be completely off. Or he could.

pbmax
08-29-2008, 11:03 PM
I am impressed with the letter (if he wrote it, or even if these are his true feelings). As for the possibility he would rather not entertain, he might consider taking your laundry public as one of the things he has done that might scare off some teams.

He has battled both the Vikings and the Dolphins publicly, through the media. He is now conducting a job search through the media. While this type of information is a welcome change from the pablum and bleating that most agents engage in, its just the type of distraction that scares off people and teams. Not all, not everyone, but perhaps enough.

If you add the people who fear the public nature of his comments and grievances, concerns about his health, concerns about his ability to read more than one receiver and throw, and those who think his race will somehow cause a problem, then you might have reached the critical mass for unemployment.

RashanGary
08-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Didn't he make the Vikings visit him in Florida and work him out in a parking lot or something crazy like that when he injured his knee?

the_idle_threat
08-30-2008, 06:43 PM
When the Packers finally offered for me to come to Green Bay to back-up Aaron Rodgers there were no real negotiations. They offered me a deal that was, according to my research, below market value. They said that they would get back to me after the draft.

[Econ 101 for Daunte] Market value is not what is stated by "research" or some kind of price guide. Market value is the highest amount someone is willing to pay. And it varies all the time based upon new information.

Your market value was what TT offered at that time, if that was your best offer. After you spurned that deal, your market value dropped to the league minimum. When you spurned that, teams decided to stop wasting their time with you so now your value is not even the league minimum unless/until someone gets hurt and a team gets desperate.

When you're a hot commodity and a free agent, your stock can attain a market value that exceeds what you're likely to contribute on the field (i.e. you can be overpaid, like in that $100 million contract you signed in Minny, or like Ahman Green was in Houston). But when you're an eccentric. oft-injured has-been, your market value will likely be below what you're capable of contributing on the field (i.e. you will be "underpaid" based upon league averages for pay vs. performance). You are in the second situation now. The only way out for you now is to swallow your pride, take a lesser deal, and earn a raise by erasing doubts.
[/Econ 101]

And I agree with whoever above took Daunte's cryptic comment about league motives as a hint at the race card.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-30-2008, 06:55 PM
I can see why he would. He's brought race into things before when it wasn't part of a discussion. I think he sees himself as a pioneer, showing that a black man can play quarterback, but the thing that perhaps he hasn't noticed is that it's not so rare as it was when he showed up in the NFL. Of course, this is just based on things that he's said in the past. I could be completely off. Or he could.

I don't recall him doing that...not saying you are wrong..but, that i don't recall it.

Have any examples, instances, etc...or links?

Tyrone Bigguns
08-30-2008, 06:56 PM
I am impressed with the letter (if he wrote it, or even if these are his true feelings). As for the possibility he would rather not entertain, he might consider taking your laundry public as one of the things he has done that might scare off some teams.

He has battled both the Vikings and the Dolphins publicly, through the media. He is now conducting a job search through the media. While this type of information is a welcome change from the pablum and bleating that most agents engage in, its just the type of distraction that scares off people and teams. Not all, not everyone, but perhaps enough.

If you add the people who fear the public nature of his comments and grievances, concerns about his health, concerns about his ability to read more than one receiver and throw, and those who think his race will somehow cause a problem, then you might have reached the critical mass for unemployment.

QFT.

You have elaborated very well on my "troublemaker" viewpoint.

Cleft Crusty
08-30-2008, 06:58 PM

This paragraph.

It's that thing he does after throwing TD passes that no one can stand.

Guiness
08-31-2008, 12:20 AM
[Econ 101 for Daunte]

Well put Idle. Especially the part about an 'eccentric, oft-injured...' Yes, he's likely to get offered less than other back up QB's.

SnakeLH2006
08-31-2008, 02:29 AM

This paragraph.

Agreed it's gay as hell, but prob. looks good on a party boat in front of skank ass strippers....if that is what one is into...(<<Not this guy). :shock:

Iron Mike
08-31-2008, 09:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IOqjQVi-3w

Scott Campbell
08-31-2008, 10:52 AM

Gee, when you put it that way he may as well file his retirement papers.

MJZiggy
08-31-2008, 11:20 AM

My apologies, I've gotten Daunte mixed up with Donovan.

mraynrand
08-31-2008, 11:24 AM

Agreed it's gay as hell, but prob. looks good on a party boat in front of skank ass strippers....if that is what one is into...(<<Not this guy). :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmUlKPthrag

Tyrone Bigguns
08-31-2008, 06:34 PM

No worries, we know all us black folk look the same to you whities...especially you white chix as you avert your eyes, clutch your handbag tighter, and cross the street. :wink:

MJZiggy
08-31-2008, 06:54 PM

No worries, we know all us black folk look the same to you whities...especially you white chix as you avert your eyes, clutch your handbag tighter, and cross the street. :wink:

I knew you were gonna be the idiot to say something like that...