PDA

View Full Version : Predictions or observations

RashanGary
08-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Some random, positive (and negative) developments

- Flynn is a legit developmental prospect. His arm seems as strong as Brohms. Maybe it was downplayed because it was compared to Jamarcus Russell's. He's also gritty, mobile and seems to be generally level headed. This is a tough year with the young QB's, but next year all of the developmental efforts could be rewarded with two legit, young, talented QB's backing up Rodgers and maybe competing with him at some point.

- Chillar is worse than advertised. Skinny and weak is my first impression of Chillar. Every time he tackles a running back it looks like the RB is tackling him. He has a good frame, but needs to add some muscle.

- Bishop is pretty damn impressive. He was considered a low talent try hard leadership guy coming out of Cal. He racked up tackles and was said to always be in the right spot, but his upside was said to be limited. Well, his upside appears to be much more than I thought anyway. He's tough. He runs. I noticed him playing very fast and confident in practice. He stood out as a guy that flowed to the ball and made plays (that's part of the MLB position in this defense but he also did it at WLB in the last game). Then when the live tackling opened up he showed that he's tough and physical as well. I like his chances of developing into a legit starting NFL linebacker.

- Barnett put on a clinic for how not to tackle. His play in the flat has been atrocious. One time it's tackling too high and getting punked the next time it's taking a bad angle and diving at a guys feet. The next time he's running a guy down and the RB just cuts and leaves Barnett standing there not knowing what to do.

- Brohm is not as NFL ready as they said, but I get the impression McCarthy put a lot on his plate and is focusing more on the long term development than having short term watered down success (false confidence if you will). I think McCArhty is doing the right thing, but fans don't understand it takes time and the media will ignorantly swarm.

- B Jackson can run through arm tackles

- Kregg Lumpkin is hard to tackle and is a pretty damn instinctive runner. He was a very highly rated college recruit. Maybe his talent was forgotten about because of the injuries.

- Tramon Williams looks good. He had the pentalty that I thought was BS. Marshall tied his arm up, but Tramon was looking back for the ball and acctually picked it off. It should have been a pick not an interferance call. The next play he got legitimately burned by a probowl caliber WR and a perfect throw. I think he lost a little swagger after that penalty. He has to learn to forget and move on even if it was a bad call. He made several plays on the ball through the preseason and generally looked strong. He played a lot and did have passes completed on him but with completions came breakups and plays on the ball. The other DB's had completions and very few plays on the ball. Tramon, like Bishop, seems like a starter waiting in the wings.

Aaron Rodgers can really throw the ball. He had nearly 70% completion percentage and a QB rating over 100 through the preseason. That throw into cover 2 was perfect. I've seen Manning make that pass several times just over the cover 2 corner and just in front of the safety. It requires timing and a very good deep ball touch. I've seen Favre try it but it's often picked off. It's one of the ways to beat cover 2 defense, but it requires a perfect throw. Jennings is a very instinctive, natural WR and he did anticipate the spot Rodgers would throw the ball rather than overrunning the route. It took two to tango there, but the throw was the most impressive part of that play. That was a great way to finish the preseason.

- The DL in general is scary. They're getting older at several key spots and the young talent isn't showing the promise we had hoped.

- Will Blackmon is the worst corner ever. It's completion after completion after completion with him and he never makes a play on the ball. He better have a great year on ST's or his stay will be short lived.

- Crosby and Jon Ryan have taken the next step. Crosby is nailing FG after FG after FG (over 90% in camp) and kicking touchbacks. Ryan is getting great hang time on monster punts.

HarveyWallbangers
08-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Aaron Rodgers can really throw the ball. He had nearly 70% completion percentage and a QB rating over 100 through the preseason. That throw into cover 2 was perfect. I've seen Manning make that pass several times just over the cover 2 corner and just in front of the safety. It requires timing and a very good deep ball touch. I've seen Favre try it but it's often picked off.

I liked the post, but Favre was one of the best ever on those types of throws. That wasn't really a deep ball. It was the type of throw that Favre built a Hall of Fame career on. Favre had more problems when he tried to hang the ball up on deeper throws, and the safety would have time to move over and make the pick.

boiga
08-30-2008, 01:19 AM
- Will Blackmon is the worst corner ever. It's completion after completion after completion with him and he never makes a play on the ball. He better have a great year on ST's or his stay will be short lived.
I really don't understand your complaint against Blackmon. He's had some good pass breakups in the preseason and tons of interceptions in Training Camp. He's easily our fastest defensive back and is a sure tackler.

I think Tramon is better and is playing at starting caliber, but Blackmon would be competent at the Nickle or Dime positions. I'd rather have a CB who keeps tight coverage and makes sure the receiver can't waltz into the endzone than a guy who makes a play on the ball by risking a sure touchdown. Blackmon is playing light years ahead of Lee and Bush right now.

Zool
08-30-2008, 01:32 AM
- Will Blackmon is the worst corner ever.

Ahmad Carroll is on line 2 for you. He'd like to discuss this.

pack4to84
08-30-2008, 02:30 AM
Aaron Rodgers can really throw the ball. He had nearly 70% completion percentage and a QB rating over 100 through the preseason. That throw into cover 2 was perfect. I've seen Manning make that pass several times just over the cover 2 corner and just in front of the safety. It requires timing and a very good deep ball touch. I've seen Favre try it but it's often picked off.

I liked the post, but Favre was one of the best ever on those types of throws. That wasn't really a deep ball. It was the type of throw that Favre built a Hall of Fame career on. Favre had more problems when he tried to hang the ball up on deeper throws, and the safety would have time to move over and make the pick.No Favre couldnt throw this pass. This was why he struggled with cover 2. Cover 2 was design to beat Favre. Tony Dungy when he was D coach of the Vikings came up with this type of zones because Favre couldnt throw with and arch on short to mid deep passes. I even called my brother after this play and told him. Rodgers just showed he could beat the cover 2 zones like I have been saying he could. This was the first game this preseason that he faced a cover 2 defense. Bengals and Broncos played man2man and 49ers play more 3-4 than anything.

pack4to84
08-30-2008, 05:04 AM
for the vision impaired here our screenshots of cover2/tamp2 zone defense the one that Favre struggled with.
http://www.sportsgamer.com/assets/images/08.01.08.08.04.07.jpg
http://www.sportsgamer.com/assets/images/08.21.08.10.11.19.jpg
If you notice the weakness of this zones is the outside over corner and underneath the safety and over the MLB in between the 2 safety's. Favre struggled with this because he cant throw middle deep passes without zipping it. To beat this defense you have to throw with and arch to get it over the corner and over the MLB. Remember the corners/mlb are all ways looking towards the QB when dropping back, so they are ready to break on a throw. The only thing Favre could do with this defense was throw the slant, but doing this teams where punishing the receivers after they caught it.

"screenshots thanks to www.sportsgamer.com"

HarveyWallbangers
08-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Whatever. Did you notice the throw to James Jones for a TD at Minnesota last year. Just one of many examples of Favre making this type of throw.

RashanGary
08-30-2008, 09:35 AM
That was one deep safety with man coverage on the outside. Those are very different coverages. The safety had much more ground to cover, making the window a lot wider. Favre had to lead his guy and hit him in stride. Rodgers had to precision pass that thing into the tightest of zone windows. Rodgers said after the game that they were not expecting that coverage. Also, leading up to the game, Rodgers was saying this team was more of a one deep defense. I think they expected a one deep look and thought they could take advantage of man coverage on the outside (similar to the JOnes TD). Instead it was tampa 2, but Rodgers took the shot anyway knowing it had ot be a perfect throw. He probably should have checked into a run to take advantage of the soft defense but maybe he thought it was a disguise or just felt balsy. Jennings did a great job adjusting his route and slowing up to be in the wiindow at the right time. It required a QB and WR to be on the same page. Fergy for example would have ran right past that ball, not adjusted and everyone would think it was underthrown. It was a perfect play by both Rodgers and Jennings and IMO it's an example of how this team can slit your throat even if you're an upper teir defense like Tennessee playing a pass protection scheme like Tampa 2.

pbmax
08-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Favre used to abuse Tampa's corners in the zone behind the corner and at the sideline. Its when he demonstrated his first clear ability to look off the safety. His success was dependent on two things: pass protection and receiver. Freeman and Brooks could run this route without problems. Schroeder and the Corpse Formerly Known as Freeman couldn't get there because of low IQ/rabbitt ears and lack of speed respectively. He also abused the deep middle when he had Chmura or Jackson.

Dungy et al, in order to put a crimp on the out pass used to blitz a CB, LB or safety from the weak side to hurry the throw. You may be right about the Vikings with Dungy, my memory of their games in a Dungy/Tampa 2 are fading.

Also remember, this is a pretty deep throw. The receivers have said Rodgers is still learning touch on short and medium throws and throws these harder than Favre currently does, something AR needs to correct. But Favre demonstrated the same need for touch as Rodgers does now, when he was young. But both would have had a much easier time lofting a deep throw like a 15-20 yard out than other medium or short range stuff.

I liked the post, but Favre was one of the best ever on those types of throws. That wasn't really a deep ball. It was the type of throw that Favre built a Hall of Fame career on. Favre had more problems when he tried to hang the ball up on deeper throws, and the safety would have time to move over and make the pick.No Favre couldnt throw this pass. This was why he struggled with cover 2. Cover 2 was design to beat Favre. Tony Dungy when he was D coach of the Vikings came up with this type of zones because Favre couldnt throw with and arch on short to mid deep passes. I even called my brother after this play and told him. Rodgers just showed he could beat the cover 2 zones like I have been saying he could. This was the first game this preseason that he faced a cover 2 defense. Bengals and Broncos played man2man and 49ers play more 3-4 than anything.

RashanGary
08-30-2008, 10:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGGfhTdiKF0

This throw to Kitrick (spelling) Taylor is an example of FAvre beating cover 2. He said he looked the safety off and rifled it in.

Favre skip stepped two or three times before he let that thing go. That was as hard as Brett could throw it right there. It was impressive. Rodgers will never be able to make the pass Favre just made here. Rodgers can look his guy off, but he'll never be able to throw it hard enough to get it that deep into that hole. If Favre tried to make that throw now, at 38 it would be picked off like it has been for the last 5 years.

Rodgers throw was different. Favre pumped, let that thing develop deep and then rifled it like only a 22 year old Favre could. Rodgers dropped back and immediately aired it up, just over the head of the corner but with just enough zip to have the ball beat the safety to the spot. It was a touch pass that required perfect timing and precision not a cannon that required brute arm strength. Manning makes this play pretty regularly but I've also seen the CB drop quickly, jump and pick it off.

Freak Out
08-30-2008, 10:11 AM
One thing I noticed is that Rodgers is still healthy. That's a good preseason.

DonHutson
08-30-2008, 12:41 PM

Ahmad Carroll is on line 2 for you. He'd like to discuss this.

Ahmad Carroll had to hang up. Joey Thomas just punched him for trying to steal his title.

mraynrand
08-30-2008, 01:09 PM

Napoleon Dynamite: This is pretty much the worst video ever made.
Kip: Napoleon, like anyone can even know that.

http://www.derok.net/images/entertainment/napoleon%20dynamite%20family.JPG

Partial
08-30-2008, 03:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGGfhTdiKF0

This throw to Kitrick (spelling) Taylor is an example of FAvre beating cover 2. He said he looked the safety off and rifled it in.

Favre skip stepped two or three times before he let that thing go. That was as hard as Brett could throw it right there. It was impressive. Rodgers will never be able to make the pass Favre just made here. Rodgers can look his guy off, but he'll never be able to throw it hard enough to get it that deep into that hole. If Favre tried to make that throw now, at 38 it would be picked off like it has been for the last 5 years.

Rodgers throw was different. Favre pumped, let that thing develop deep and then rifled it like only a 22 year old Favre could. Rodgers dropped back and immediately aired it up, just over the head of the corner but with just enough zip to have the ball beat the safety to the spot. It was a touch pass that required perfect timing and precision not a cannon that required brute arm strength. Manning makes this play pretty regularly but I've also seen the CB drop quickly, jump and pick it off.

:lol: :lol: ok whatever you say. Favre's arm looked pretty good last year in what? 4-5 come back wins?!?!