PDA

View Full Version : Jon Ryan had a plan and set sights on Green Bay Packers.

woodbuck27
06-18-2006, 08:39 AM
The open audition he wanted

Ryan aims to unseat Sander as the Packers' punter

By TODD ROSIAK
trosiak@journalsentinel.com

Posted: June 16, 2006

Green Bay - Jon Ryan was looking for an opportunity this off-season, plain and simple.

So much so, in fact, that after he received offers from both the Green Bay Packers and New York Giants, the veteran of the Canadian Football League signed with the Packers despite the fact their offer of a $35,000 signing bonus was $5,000 less than the Giants' offer.

And now, rather than competing with 19-year veteran Jeff Feagles in New York for an opportunity that might never have come, Ryan has his sights set on replacing inconsistent third-year man B.J. Sander in Green Bay.

"I just knew they were going to give me a fair look," Ryan said of his decision to take less money to sign with the Packers. "B.J.'s a veteran, he played good last year, but he's not a guy that's been around for 10 years or anything."

He's also not a guy who's set the world on fire in his previous two seasons in Green Bay, either.

He became a source of criticism early in his first year when, after then-coach and general manager Mike Sherman spent a third-round pick to draft him out of Ohio State - earning him a signing bonus of $583,250 in the process - he punted so poorly he wound up being inactivate for all 16 games.

Sander won the job with a decent training camp last year but then proceeded to finish 30th among 30 punters in gross average (39.2) and net average (33.9), and tied for last with just 11 punts inside the 20-yard line and a long punt of 53 yards.

To be fair, Sander did tie for the league-low in touchbacks with two before missing the final two games of the season with a broken bone in his left (punting) leg.

But even if he had continued to kick there was no question the Packers would be looking to better themselves at the position in the off-season.

Ryan Flinn, who took Sander's place when he was injured, was kept around for another look until Ryan arrived. Then just before the team's post-draft minicamp Flinn was waived, turning it into a two-man battle for the job.

Although he has no previous NFL experience, the 6-foot, 202-pound Ryan did post impressive numbers in the CFL.

He averaged a league-record 50.6 gross yards per punt last season for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, with a long of 82. In 2004, his first in Winnipeg, he booted a 92-yarder.

"I had really no other options but to go to the CFL. There was no NFL interest," Ryan said.

A native of Regina, Saskatchewan, Ryan played at the University of Regina before being drafted by Winnipeg. At both places, and even in the years before, he gained lots of experience kicking in adverse conditions - a must for any punter calling Lambeau Field home.

"I think it's an upside," he said.

Sander's performances worsened as the weather got worse in Green Bay last season, so Ryan's experience in such conditions undoubtedly played a role in the Packers' interest.

"I was up in Saskatchewan for a little bit of my early career and know what it's like in that place," said special teams coordinator Mike Stock.

Ryan and Sander have had limited opportunities thus far to punt in a team setting but when they have, the results have been inconsistent.

On Monday Ryan averaged 51 yards on eight punts with a long of 60 and Sander 48.9 yards on nine punts with a long of 55, but a stiff breeze was at their backs.

Compare that to a practice just three days earlier, when, while punting into a stiff breeze, each had a series of forgettable turns culminated by three sub-30-yarders by Sander and a miss-hit by Ryan that barely made it past the line of scrimmage.

Once the Packers' voluntary workouts wrap up on Wednesday, Ryan plans on returning to Canada to train. Consistency is his No. 1 goal.

"I think in terms of my distance and hang time, that's all good," he said. "I just need to get it consistently to where it's 45 yards and 4.6 hang time every time."

And once he and Sander return for the open of training camp on July 28, the competition will heat up like the weather.

And with a new regime in place, it's clear this coaching staff isn't entering with any preconceived notions about either punter.

"I'll let them decide (who wins) by the way they perform," Stock said. "Whoever performs the most consistently is the guy that's going to get the job."

From the June 17, 2006 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

woodbuck27: This is going to be a great battle! OUR punting had to improve immensely as it sucked last season.

It was ' the PUNTING HORROR SHOW '.

swede
06-18-2006, 11:07 PM
Refresh my primate memory. How did Sanders do in terms of putting the ball behind the 20 or near the goal line? That kind of touch is another aspect of punting that is almost as important as distance and hang time.

HarveyWallbangers
06-19-2006, 12:27 AM
He only had 2 touchbacks, but he only had 11 punts inside the 20 and 1 inside the 11--BY FAR the lowest totals in the league. That means he didn't have to pooch punt it much. That makes his bottom 3 finish in punting and net average (which would be affected by touchbacks) even more embarrasing. Sorry, but Sander's sucked last year. People are reaching when they try to stick up for him. He was atrocius, and he just doesn't have the leg strength to be a top punter in the NFL--especially in Green Bay.

woodbuck27
06-19-2006, 11:29 AM
He only had 2 touchbacks, but he only had 11 punts inside the 20 and 1 inside the 11--BY FAR the lowest totals in the league. That means he didn't have to pooch punt it much. That makes his bottom 3 finish in punting and net average (which would be affected by touchbacks) even more embarrasing. Sorry, but Sander's sucked last year. People are reaching when they try to stick up for him. He was atrocius, and he just doesn't have the leg strength to be a top punter in the NFL--especially in Green Bay.

Realistically, BJ's main role in Green Bay now, may be to 'just push' Ryan to his best. Then again, it can work the other way around and Sander may rise to the ocassion and get his act together.

It's ALL very interesting to view the competion at the punter spot and see how many still do believe that BJ will be OUR man. We'll of course, have to wait till maybe as late as the third week in August to see.

If I had to bet now then you know who my $ would be on to be OUR punter in 2006, all prejudices aside. We were terrible there last season and something will give.

I believe that Jon Ryan has it (as he's certainly demonstrated) to punt for us in 2006.

woodbuck27
06-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Seattle releases veteran P Rouen

NFL.com wire reports

KIRKLAND, Wash. (June 19, 2006) -- The Seattle Seahawks released veteran punter Tom Rouen after the 13-year veteran played in 12 games for the NFC champions last year.
Rouen signed with Seattle on Oct. 5, taking over for Leo Araguz, who was released. Rouen averaged 41.6 yards on 62 kicks, including 20 punts downed inside the 20-yard line. In the playoffs, Rouen averaged 45.4 yards on 15 kicks, including a 50.2-yard average in Seattle's 21-10 loss to Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl.

Rouen played in 16 games for Seattle in 2003 and four games in 2004 before being sidelined with a hamstring injury. He averaged 41.5 yards per kick in his 32 games with Seattle.

The 38-year-old Rouen originally entered the league in 1991 with the New York Giants as an undrafted free agent and then played nine-plus seasons for Denver. He also played for the Giants and Pittsburgh in 2002.

Fritz
06-22-2006, 06:03 AM
[quote=HarveyWallbangers]

Realistically, BJ's main role in Green Bay now, may be to 'just push' Ryan to his best. b]

Hey, anytime a guy's called "BJ" you've got to wonder what his main role is.

woodbuck27
06-22-2006, 10:03 AM
[quote=HarveyWallbangers]

Realistically, BJ's main role in Green Bay now, may be to 'just push' Ryan to his best. b]

Hey, anytime a guy's called "BJ" you've got to wonder what his main role is.

I think his main role is to tap into Jon Ryan all he can, to learn how to secure a job on another football team as a decent punter.

Jon Ryan will be OUR punter once TC is broke.

woodbuck27
06-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Road to Rouen?

While former Canadian Football League standout Jon Ryan had another strong punting performance, a steady veteran is available who also could challenge disappointing incumbent B.J. Sander.

The Seattle Seahawks released 14-year veteran Tom Rouen on Monday.

When asked if the Packers had interest, Packers General Manager Ted Thompson was coy.

“Iââ⠀šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢m not sure I would tell you if I did,” Thompson said.

Rouen had a gross average of 41.6 yards and a net of 35.0 yards last season for the Seahawks. By comparison, Sander had averages of 39.2 and 33.9.

Rouen, who spent the last three seasons with Seattle, is an experienced bad-weather punter. He punted his first nine seasons with the Denver Broncos before punting for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2002.

Harlan Huckleby
06-22-2006, 12:46 PM
I don't care who punts. BJ Ryan, Jon Sander, who gives a F. Guess i have a punting attitude problem.

woodbuck27
06-29-2006, 02:45 PM
NINERS TO ADD ROUEN

A league source tells us that the 49ers have agreed to terms with veteran punter Tom Rouen, who recently was released by the Seahawks.

Per the source, the Niners will announce the acquisition later today.

Rouen has spent 13 seasons in the NFL, with the Broncos, Steelers, and Seahawks. He punted for two Super Bowl championship teams in Denver. He averaged 41.6 yards per punt in 2005.

The other punters on the team's roster are Andy Lee, who has held the job for the past two seasons, and rookie Tom Malone, who didn't incur much wear and tear while serving as the punter for the USC Trojans.

woodbuck27
07-18-2006, 08:47 AM
http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders/ci_4061403

If Sebastian Janikowski does not ascend to the status Shane Lechler enjoys among the NFL's punters, he could be on his way out after this season.

Never mind the mystery surrounding his inability to consistently produce touchbacks —

what the Raiders need is someone who converts everything inside of 45 yards plus the occasional clutch kick from 50 and beyond.

Posted July 17, by Ben Maller

Isn't that what we need also?

Our punting woe's last season were dreadful. Everytime BJ Sander stepped up - I certainly felt we had little hope for a bail out - some 'saving grace'.

Overall we have alot to be desired on ST's - an extremely important aspect of any REAL success for us.

GO PACKERS !!