PDA

View Full Version : Curse of Florida Receivers - Chad Jackson Edition

pbmax
08-31-2008, 01:14 PM
PFT: Patriots Release Chad Jackson (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/31/patriots-release-chad-jackson/)

SEC speed just doesn't count like it used to.

mraynrand
08-31-2008, 01:16 PM
PFT: Patriots Release Chad Jackson (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/31/patriots-release-chad-jackson/)

Suckers! We got their draft pick, We got their draft pick!! Nyyyyyyaaaah!

Brohm
08-31-2008, 01:16 PM
Ouch!

Thanks BB for the trade down :P

Scott Campbell
08-31-2008, 01:24 PM
I don't understand. He had such great 40 times.

mraynrand
08-31-2008, 01:34 PM
I don't understand. He had such great 40 times.

Apparently his degree is in film, so the Patriots may re-hire him for other duties.

BallHawk
08-31-2008, 02:29 PM
But he should of done well. I mean, he played for Florida, not some small school in the Midwest. His competition was top notch, especially against Middle Tennessee. Oh, and did I mention he had a fast 40 time?

All hail Ted Thompson. He knows WRs.

Lurker64
08-31-2008, 03:24 PM
But he should of done well. I mean, he played for Florida, not some small school in the Midwest. His competition was top notch, especially against Middle Tennessee. Oh, and did I mention he had a fast 40 time?

All hail Ted Thompson. He knows WRs.

Well, the scouting department deserves some credit for evaluating WRs, TT's just the boss, other guys do much of the legwork. Still, he deserves credit for not overriding or ignoring the scouts, like Sherman did from time to time.

Guiness
08-31-2008, 04:34 PM
Bingo Lurker. It's more likely that TT has a crackerjack guy who can pick receivers, and he's smart enough to listen to him, than that he's a good evaluator of WR talent himself.

Wow though - CJ was quite highly touted. To give up on him completely after 2yrs means he must be some kind of bad.

Packgator
08-31-2008, 04:56 PM

The next one to watch is Percy Harvin. He missed the game this week with a heal injury but he is on many of the " possible heisman winner" lists.

http://www.harvinzone.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Harvin

Partial
08-31-2008, 05:13 PM
While I personably am of the belief that TT can judge talent at WR as well as anybody, I think its too soon for it to be accepted league wide or what have you. He landed Jennings who is a star, and several guys with potential to this point.

Partial
08-31-2008, 05:14 PM

The next one to watch is Percy Harvin. He missed the game this week with a heal injury but he is on many of the " possible heisman winner" lists.

Harvin is FLs best player imo and will be a star at the next level but not as a wideout. He'll be a hybrid player like Ginn or Hester.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-31-2008, 05:44 PM
There are two sound rules that every gm should follow:

1. Never draft UF WRs.
2. Never draft FSU lineman...especially DEs

Badgerinmaine
08-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Remember how angry a lot of people were here when we didn't take Chad Jackson?
Hmmm.

Badgerinmaine
08-31-2008, 07:47 PM

1. Never draft UF WRs.

(snip)
Back in the day, Wes Chandler and Cris Collinsworth did just fine as U of F alumni wide receivers in the NFL...

CaliforniaCheez
08-31-2008, 10:09 PM
Chad Jackson was always a dung pile WR.

What a stupid pick!! At the combine Jennings was faster than Jackson in the three cone drill and the shuttle drill where change of direction is important (like it is to a WR).

Idiots talked about Jackson's 40 time but never about his lack of ability to catch the ball.

Even now that crapbird isn't worth discussing. Jennings was a much better prospect to draft.

You can tell a person's lack of football knowledge when they make stupid statements about the "quality" of SEC football. They think their criminals can run faster and that speed is all that matters in football. How foolish.

I'd rather watch fundamentally sound team football of the Big 10 or Pac 10.

Partial
08-31-2008, 10:15 PM
That's just crazy talk. SEC is the most entertaining football in the world in my opinion.

CaliforniaCheez
08-31-2008, 10:36 PM
That's just crazy talk. SEC is the most entertaining football in the world in my opinion. Right... Better than the Packers and the NFL. My point is made for me.

Deputy Nutz
08-31-2008, 10:46 PM

Harvin is FLs best player imo and will be a star at the next level but not as a wideout. He'll be a hybrid player like Ginn or Hester.

Thats right. You got to sit next to his momma and pappa at a Florida game, and now you know him and his play like you are hiding in his closet sniffing his jockeys.

Come on, he might be great in the pros, he might stink. You really don't know and honestly neither do I. Tim Tebow might be a damn good NFL qb, after all he won the heisman and his is actually the teams best player. Harvin is good but did he rush for over 20 touchdowns, and throw for 30? No, he might be their best athlete and has the most potential, but a lot can happen between now and when he declares for the NFL draft.

BallHawk
08-31-2008, 10:55 PM

Offensively, neither Ginn or Hester have reached a level where players should aspire to be like them.

Partial
08-31-2008, 10:57 PM
That's just crazy talk. SEC is the most entertaining football in the world in my opinion. Right... Better than the Packers and the NFL. My point is made for me.

You want passion in football you watch Brett Favre or the SEC.

Partial
08-31-2008, 10:57 PM

Offensively, neither Ginn or Hester have reached a level where players should aspire to be like them.

Agreed. And Harvin won't be any different. He'll start out as a returner.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-02-2008, 09:25 PM

Really? Interesting you would think that since he hasn't returned one kick or punt in college. :oops:

Tyrone Bigguns
09-02-2008, 09:32 PM

1. Never draft UF WRs.

(snip)
Back in the day, Wes Chandler and Cris Collinsworth did just fine as U of F alumni wide receivers in the NFL...

Next thing you'll be talking about the knute rockne era of ND football.

Lurker64
09-02-2008, 09:52 PM

1. Never draft UF WRs.

(snip)

Next thing you'll be talking about the knute rockne era of ND football.

There was probably a time that "drafting a Big Ten Running Back" was considered a good idea too.

Zool
09-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Rashard Mendenhall?

Partial
09-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Beanie Wells? Maroney??

Lurker64
09-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Neither Wells nor Mendenhall has done a thing in the NFL. Maroney hasn't done much to speak of either( 835 and 745 yards rushing and 6 rushing TDs each in his two years in the league aren't exactly impressive numbers, particularly since Grant did better in less than half a year, and the Pats have a better OL than we do.) The exception is likely Marion Barber, who took a number of years to come into his own and has yet to show that he can carry the load all by himself, but he's definitely a back anybody would be happy to have.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Neither Wells nor Mendenhall has done a thing in the NFL. Maroney hasn't done much to speak of either( 835 and 745 yards rushing and 6 rushing TDs each in his two years in the league aren't exactly impressive numbers, particularly since Grant did better in less than half a year, and the Pats have a better OL than we do.) The exception is likely Marion Barber, who took a number of years to come into his own and has yet to show that he can carry the load all by himself, but he's definitely a back anybody would be happy to have.

While i get your point...enis and a number of psu backs..there have been some pretty decent UM backs...some for a short time..tim biaka, some longer..Wheatley.

However, you can't discount Eddie George, raymont harris, and robert smith...OSU backs are pretty good.

Chevelle2
09-02-2008, 10:54 PM

Really? Interesting you would think that since he hasn't returned one kick or punt in college. :oops:

Whoops.

Partial
09-03-2008, 02:56 AM

PErcy is too go0od to return kicks in college. He will in the pros. Special players don't return kicks in college, but he is too unpolished to start out as a receiver.

Watch him. His game is end arounds and bedating DBs deep[. He's got 4.3 wheels if n ot faster. I really appreciate his game. Ask his pops.

Partial
09-03-2008, 02:58 AM

Maroncey has been lights out but why run when ylou can pass for 7000 yards. Honestly.

Partial
09-03-2008, 02:58 AM

Whoops.

My advice is to watch. Harvin is a stud. He's not a receiver though, just an athlete.

Lurker64
09-03-2008, 03:22 AM

Maroncey has been lights out but why run when ylou can pass for 7000 yards. Honestly.

If Maroney had been truly lights out, and his rushing numbers were inhibited by the Pats epic passing game, you'd expect him to have good receiving numbers or at least good yards per carry.

In his rookie season, Maroney caught 22 balls for 194 yards and 1TD.
Last season, Maroney caught 4 balls for 116 yards and no TDs.

In the rushing game,
In his rookie season Maroney averaged 4.5 yards per carry.
Last season, Maroney averages 4.25 yards per carry.

While, again, these are not embarrassing numbers they are certainly a long way from "lights out." Compare Maroney to, for example, Joseph Addai who was taken nine picks later the same year. Since Addai has unquestionably been better so far, you have to say that Maroney has been at least a little disappointing (though certainly less disappointing than the other two 1st round RBs that year, Reggie Bush and DeAngelo Williams.) But considering that Maroney was taken in about the same position in the 1st round as Maurice Jones-Drew was in the second, it doesn't seem to me that he was a great pick for the Pats, though he was likely a decent pick.

Packgator
09-03-2008, 09:15 AM
He's not a receiver though, just an athlete.

59 receptions for 858 yards.

83 rushes for 764 yards.

Rushing average of over 9 per carry. They put the ball in his hands however they can.

Partial
09-03-2008, 10:47 AM

83 rushes for 764 yards.

Rushing average of over 9 per carry. They put the ball in his hands however they can.

I agree. I think he's there best offensive player and one of the most dangerous quick guys in the country.

Partial
09-03-2008, 10:47 AM

If Maroney had been truly lights out, and his rushing numbers were inhibited by the Pats epic passing game, you'd expect him to have good receiving numbers or at least good yards per carry.

In his rookie season, Maroney caught 22 balls for 194 yards and 1TD.
Last season, Maroney caught 4 balls for 116 yards and no TDs.

In the rushing game,
In his rookie season Maroney averaged 4.5 yards per carry.
Last season, Maroney averages 4.25 yards per carry.

While, again, these are not embarrassing numbers they are certainly a long way from "lights out." Compare Maroney to, for example, Joseph Addai who was taken nine picks later the same year. Since Addai has unquestionably been better so far, you have to say that Maroney has been at least a little disappointing (though certainly less disappointing than the other two 1st round RBs that year, Reggie Bush and DeAngelo Williams.) But considering that Maroney was taken in about the same position in the 1st round as Maurice Jones-Drew was in the second, it doesn't seem to me that he was a great pick for the Pats, though he was likely a decent pick.

His numbers aren't bad, and that is ignoring that he has been hurt and playing with injuries. Disappointing, slightly, but he is a pretty good back. Addai is just a straight up stud.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-03-2008, 03:16 PM

PErcy is too go0od to return kicks in college. He will in the pros. Special players don't return kicks in college, but he is too unpolished to start out as a receiver.

Watch him. His game is end arounds and bedating DBs deep[. He's got 4.3 wheels if n ot faster. I really appreciate his game. Ask his pops.

Too good....lol. Special players don't return punts and kicks. You mean like Tim Brown, Woodson, rocket ismail?

Give it up.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-03-2008, 03:19 PM

83 rushes for 764 yards.

QFT.

And, i HATE the gators. Less so after SS left. :wink: