PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Practice Squad Announced

pbmax
08-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Packers Sign Eight To Practice Squad

posted 08/31/2008

The Green Bay Packers signed eight players to the practice squad Sunday. Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, announced the signings.

Signed to the practice squad were wide receiver Jake Allen, center Brennen Carvalho, tight end Joey Haynos, linebacker Danny Lansanah, defensive tackle Alfred Malone, cornerback Joe Porter, wide receiver Brett Swain and running back DeShawn Wynn.

pbmax
08-31-2008, 01:42 PM
So they have a TE of the future and insurance at RB in Wynn. Not too shabby. A center to develop as well. No Scorpio though.

Lurker64
08-31-2008, 01:42 PM
It'll be interesting to find out how many of the other WRs we cut got picked up on waivers. I didn't have Jake Allen as #6 on our depth chart personally. I wonder where Taj Smith ended up.

pbmax
08-31-2008, 01:45 PM
We should also start to find out about waiver claims as well, since I don't think you can sign to the PS until the younger guys clear waivers.

Lurker64
08-31-2008, 01:47 PM
So they have a TE of the future and insurance at RB in Wynn. Not too shabby. A center to develop as well. No Scorpio though.

We also have an emergency DT, that's a small comfort since, as I recall, we rarely had more than 3-4 DTs active for games last year, so our depth was primarily of value as an injury buffer.

mraynrand
08-31-2008, 01:47 PM

but they have left over Lasagne, which is always better re-heated. I wonder who will get picked off this squad...

pbmax
08-31-2008, 01:49 PM
I may be nuts (not a Deputy though) but I actually think Lasagna can play in this league. Anybody with me on this? Or did he just look good against 2s and 3s?

but they have left over Lasagne, which is always better re-heated. I wonder who will get picked off this squad...

mraynrand
08-31-2008, 01:52 PM
I may be nuts (not a Deputy though) but I actually think Lasagna can play in this league. Anybody with me on this? Or did he just look good against 2s and 3s?

I don't think you're nuts at all. I thought he had pretty good speed and awareness. I'm worried that someone out there, with some antipasta and a fine Merlot is going to think Lasagne will fit in perfectly.

gbgary
08-31-2008, 01:57 PM

I don't think you're nuts at all. I thought he had pretty good speed and awareness. I'm worried that someone out there, with some antipasta and a fine Merlot is going to think Lasagne will fit in perfectly.

my thoughts exactly...yum.

Brohm
08-31-2008, 02:09 PM
They must have really soured on Muir as he was PS eligible as well. Also, I guess the NFL caught wind of Wynn's softness as he failed to make anyone's roster.

EDIT: **Muir claimed by the Colts**

pbmax
08-31-2008, 02:55 PM
The Packers put in no claim for waivers according to JSOnline. Jansen may need surgery according to his agent.

That means the long snapper likely will be one of the three they worked out today:

• Tim Bugg (6 feet, 257), a rookie from Indiana who signed with Cincinnati (no signing bonus) May 14 before being waived July 1.

• Ryan Senser (6-3, 227), a rookie from Ohio University who signed with New Orleans ($5,000 signing bonus) May 5 before being cut July 28. The Saints brought him back for another nine-day stint in mid-August.

• Brett Goode (6-1, 260), a second-year man who snapped on punts for four years and placements for his final three at Arkansas. He was with Jacksonville ($5,000 signing bonus) from mid-May to mid-August in '07, then again from March to June 19 this year.

Cleft Crusty
08-31-2008, 03:12 PM
The Packers put in no claim for waivers according to JSOnline. Jansen may need surgery according to his agent.

That means the long snapper likely will be one of the three they worked out today:

• Tim Bugg (6 feet, 257), a rookie from Indiana who signed with Cincinnati (no signing bonus) May 14 before being waived July 1.

• Ryan Senser (6-3, 227), a rookie from Ohio University who signed with New Orleans ($5,000 signing bonus) May 5 before being cut July 28. The Saints brought him back for another nine-day stint in mid-August.

• Brett Goode (6-1, 260), a second-year man who snapped on punts for four years and placements for his final three at Arkansas. He was with Jacksonville ($5,000 signing bonus) from mid-May to mid-August in '07, then again from March to June 19 this year.

FYI, Ryan Senser is the cousin of Joe Senser, who played for seven season with the Vikings as TE, going to the pro bowl in '81. You may have heard him on the raido - WCCO I believe in the early 90s and 2001-2006. You may have also been to his sports bar in the Minneapolis area. Clefty would never go to such a commercial bar; I would find the greasy spoon, where there is a better chance of encountering more spicy authentic foods and some type of food poisoning.

Joemailman
08-31-2008, 04:13 PM
I'm rooting for Bugg. I predicted TT would draft him last year. If TT signs Bugg, I may call up TT and say "Ya know, if you had listened to me..."

Maxie the Taxi
08-31-2008, 04:23 PM
I'm rooting for Bugg. I predicted TT would draft him last year. If TT signs Bugg, I may call up TT and say "Ya know, if you had listened to me..."

Coincidently he was on my draft list too. I never saw him play, but I remember his scouting report was pretty impressive.

Guiness
08-31-2008, 04:42 PM
wow - I'm quite surprised at this PS. It actually looks like a Practice/Developmental Squad...
I said in a couple of other threads that I expected the Pack to continue to rotate guys through it - that's what they've done the past couple of years, haven't they?

They've already seen all of these guys, and decided they weren't good enough to make the team. Wynn in particular surprises me - he's been around for two preseasons, had an offseason to prepare, and still couldn't make the squad. Do they think he's going to get over the hump or something???

Harlan Huckleby
08-31-2008, 04:48 PM

he was very impressive, quick, big, aggressive.

why can't some of these guys pork-out and play DT.

pbmax
08-31-2008, 07:49 PM
I think they are less interested in auditions because their depth is better. No waiver claims for them means that they value their depth more than other team's castoffs. And given the youth of the team, most of their cuts were practice squad eligible, unlike past years.

Wynn makes sense to a degree, because if he can ever stay healthy (a big if) he probably has as much talent as the top two on the team. He has way more shake than Lumpkin, who I am more than glad they kept. Give Wynn another year under the Rock and see if he's healthier next year.

wow - I'm quite surprised at this PS. It actually looks like a Practice/Developmental Squad...
I said in a couple of other threads that I expected the Pack to continue to rotate guys through it - that's what they've done the past couple of years, haven't they?

They've already seen all of these guys, and decided they weren't good enough to make the team. Wynn in particular surprises me - he's been around for two preseasons, had an offseason to prepare, and still couldn't make the squad. Do they think he's going to get over the hump or something???

ND72
08-31-2008, 08:15 PM
Joe Porter

Bastard

RashanGary
08-31-2008, 08:31 PM
Looks like a pretty talented practice squad. Lots of upside there.

pbmax
08-31-2008, 11:01 PM
OK, I'll bite ND. What did Joe Porter do to you/us? Did you prefer someone else?

Joe Porter

Bastard

vince
09-01-2008, 06:35 AM
Looks like a pretty talented practice squad. Lots of upside there.
Agreed. Jake Allen shows a lot of upside, along with, IMO, Haynos, Lansanah, Malone, and Porter.

I don't know shit about Carvalho.

I'm surprised with Swain and Wynn. Swain didn't show much, other than the quick slant for six against the Titans. Every time I think Wynn has finally shot his last wad, he gets another life. I see him as soft mentally, and that's not someone the Packers should keep throwing lifelines too. Obviously, Thompson, McCarthy and Company know a lot more than I do though.

Fritz
09-01-2008, 09:45 AM

he was very impressive, quick, big, aggressive.

why can't some of these guys pork-out and play DT.

I see a job opening for Gilbert Brown to return to the Packers as "Eating Coach."

Also, it's always funny to me how much and how fast the practice squad changes. they send out the list of who's on it, and by next week it'll be a whole different set of guys.