PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Road Trip

Partial
08-31-2008, 01:53 PM
After graduating school next May some of my buddies and I are going to take a west coast road trip. We're thinking about doing 11 days.

What are some of the best sites to see?

I'd like to see the Grand Canyon, spend at least a day on the beach in Cali, go to Yosemite, check out some of Oregon, and hike for a day or two at Mount Rainier.

Any tips, thoughts, advice?

HowardRoark
08-31-2008, 01:55 PM
Spend a day or two in Big Sur. Go to Nepenthe and sit there and stare at the view and drink beer.

http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/

mraynrand
08-31-2008, 01:58 PM
If you like hiking, there are some amazing hikes at Mount Rainier. Don't try Yosemite in season - it's a zoo. Go to Kings Canyon instead.

Scott Campbell
08-31-2008, 02:02 PM
After graduating school next May some of my buddies and I are going to take a west coast road trip. We're thinking about doing 11 days.

I'd like to see the Grand Canyon, spend at least a day on the beach in Cali, go to Yosemite, check out some of Oregon, and hike for a day or two at Mount Rainier.

My advice is that you're not going to see much other than the inside of your car if you bounce around like that. Pick a few places in one area, and spend a lot more time at each.

Or, stretch your trip out to 45 days. At your age, you're not likely to get a chance to do something like this again for a long, long time.

Scott Campbell
08-31-2008, 02:03 PM
One more thing:

Zion > Grand Canyon.

mraynrand
08-31-2008, 02:07 PM
One more thing:

Zion > Grand Canyon.

Yep.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-31-2008, 04:36 PM
Make sure you aren't lazy and dont' bring a gps.

HarveyWallbangers
08-31-2008, 04:43 PM
When I took my West Coast road trip, I took a month to do it. Like Scott said, you ain't going to see much if you only take 11 days.

Partial
08-31-2008, 05:20 PM
I think my parents would flip the F out on me for taking a month off of work.

I don't think my or my friends employers would let them do it either.

I don't think I could afford it either. After tuition and putting away 5k in a CD this year, my bank is down to about a grand. By May i'll have like 2-3k to my name only, but 0 in student loans and a 2002 civic. I don't think I can afford more than 10-11 days.

oregonpackfan
08-31-2008, 07:45 PM
If coming up from CA to Oregon consider stopping at:

1. Crater Lake, OR

2. Swing up to Cannon Beach, OR on the coast. It has a wonderful beach, great food, and enchanting shops. Packinpatland loved Cannon Beach when she visited Oregon.

3. Head east and drive the Columbia River Gorge between Portland and Hood River. Watch and/or try wind surfing at Hood River.

4. From Hood River travel south 40 miles and drive up to Mt. Hood, an 11,000' mountain. The Roadway will take you up to 6,500' but you can hop a chairlift up another couple of thousand feet.

SkinBasket
08-31-2008, 08:19 PM
You would learn a lot more, about yourself in particular, if you volunteered at a homeless shelter for 2 weeks. That's not a joke. There's something easy and glossy about going to all the places you mentioned. If that's what your looking for in your passage to manhood, then so be it. If you're looking to be someone other than Adam Brody, you might want to consider it.

texaspackerbacker
08-31-2008, 08:19 PM
There used to be a nude hippie commune at Big Sur--under the Bixby Creek Bridge. I climbed down there twice looking for it, but never found it--400 feet from Highway 1 down to the ocean.

Maybe the grandkids of those hippies are still there. If you find it, let me know.

Freak Out
09-01-2008, 08:39 AM
11 days? Quit the damn job and do it right.

MadtownPacker
09-01-2008, 09:20 AM

Any tips, thoughts, advice?You need at least 3 days to enjoy a good amount of Yosemite. The beach is a one day thing.

Stop by my Madtown with yo homies and Ill get you fools lit.

HarveyWallbangers
09-01-2008, 10:43 AM
I think my parents would flip the F out on me for taking a month off of work.

I don't think my or my friends employers would let them do it either.

I don't think I could afford it either. After tuition and putting away 5k in a CD this year, my bank is down to about a grand. By May i'll have like 2-3k to my name only, but 0 in student loans and a 2002 civic. I don't think I can afford more than 10-11 days.

Then you need to take couple of areas of interest and take the time to enjoy those. Hit the other spots as you get older. Otherwise, you'll spend most of your time in your vehicle. That's not necessarily a bad thing though. I kind of enjoy doing that too. I guess it falls on what you expect to get out of the trip.

MJZiggy
09-01-2008, 10:57 AM
I think the guys are right. It's at least worth asking if you can get more time off. Offer to take unpaid leave and some bosses become much more cooperative.

Iron Mike
09-01-2008, 11:56 AM

I'd like to spend at least a day on the beach in Cali

You can spend a day on the beach in Wisconsin now and have the same experience.....the reason to visit California is to laugh at the old hippies. And the most amusing hippies live in Santa Cruz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxCpzpsISeM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcxPWqc8XQ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd2303zpCfk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaYesz2C0cA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn6wBtcCPhA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zLB6Z-VBLg

GBRulz
09-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Be sure to check out Wally World.

Zool
09-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Be sure to check out Wally World.

Oh look Clark, the grand canyon...

(3 seconds later) OK kids lets go!

mraynrand
09-01-2008, 11:10 PM
There used to be a nude hippie commune at Big Sur--under the Bixby Creek Bridge. I climbed down there twice looking for it, but never found it--400 feet from Highway 1 down to the ocean.

Maybe the grandkids of those hippies are still there. If you find it, let me know.

The 'head' of that nude Hippie commune was called 'Big Sir.'

oregonpackfan
09-01-2008, 11:12 PM
If you make it to Oregon be sure to stop at Oregon City--the birthplace of Tonya Harding. The trailer park where she was raised is still there.

Perhaps you could get into a hubcap flinging contest with her. :)

HarveyWallbangers
09-01-2008, 11:34 PM
I rather enjoyed the time I spent on the Oregon Coast (up and down H-101). There are spots around Coos Bay, I believe, where you can pitch a tent on the beach just off the ocean.

Partial
09-01-2008, 11:34 PM
I rather enjoyed the time I spent on the Oregon Coast (up and down H-101). There are spots around Coos Bay, I believe, where you can pitch a tent on the beach just off the ocean.

Did you go by yourself?

HarveyWallbangers
09-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Did you go by yourself?

I took my west coast road trip right after losing my girlfriend and my job in 2000. It was okay. I got a nice 4 month severance package (which I milked for 6 months), had money saved up, and had just bought a brand new Jeep Wrangler. I went by myself for a month, but my cousin and her husband happened to be vacationing in Oregon and northern Cali at the time, so I spent several days with them. I also stayed with relatives in Seattle and near Glacier National Park. I saw lot of northern Cali, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, Idaho, and Montana.

bobblehead
09-01-2008, 11:57 PM
http://www.nps.gov/cave/

Carlsbad Caverns are a must imo. Nothing was cooler to me...I did like roswell too though and they aren't that far apart. Nothing like a good UFO conspiracy.

oregonpackfan
09-02-2008, 02:29 PM

The Oregon Coast is attractive in that it has both sandy beaches as well as areas with rocky cliffs. Don't fantasize about "swimming" in the ocean during the summer time. You can wade in the water but it is cold, even in the summer time.

Yes, there are a few hardy(or foolish) souls who do swim without the benefits of a wetsuit but they don't stay in the water very long.

MadtownPacker
09-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Shit, since Psycho-P is gonna be on the West coast he needs to hit up TJ.

MJZiggy
09-02-2008, 07:27 PM

Rubley??

Tyrone Bigguns
09-02-2008, 07:36 PM

Rubley??

Juana.

MadtownPacker
09-02-2008, 07:36 PM

Rubley??Tijuana you nutty broad, aka mission: donkey show search.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-02-2008, 07:43 PM

The trip is for next may...i'll put money that the attention whore never goes.

Zool
09-02-2008, 07:46 PM

Does an attention whore get money AND attention? That statement has always struck me as odd. I would think attention slut would be more fitting.

MadtownPacker
09-02-2008, 07:56 PM
I would label P more of an Attention nerd. :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
09-02-2008, 07:58 PM

Does an attention whore get money AND attention? That statement has always struck me as odd. I would think attention slut would be more fitting.

No problem. He is an attentions slut.

Iron Mike
09-02-2008, 10:46 PM

Again, you don't need to leave WI to see nudists--just head to Mazo Beach south of Mazomanie.

Go see something that you can't see here....like an Ocean Sunfish at the Monterey Bay Aquarium (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR1vG6CCGKw)

MadtownPacker
09-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Again, you don't need to leave WI to see nudists--just head to Mazo Beach south of Mazomanie.

Go see something that you can't see here....like an Ocean Sunfish at the Monterey Bay Aquarium (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR1vG6CCGKw)If he hits Monterrey he should take one of the little boat trips. This summer I was out there and some dolphins starting jumping all around us. Never had seen one before that.

HarveyWallbangers
09-02-2008, 11:29 PM
If he hits Monterrey he should take one of the little boat trips. This summer I was out there and some dolphins starting jumping all around us. Never had seen one before that.

Monterrey is pretty cool. I'm surprised you hadn't seen a dolphin before this summer. I saw whales, dolphins, sea lions in northern Cali when I was there. Monterrey was our last trip before we found out my wife was pregnant. I hadn't been on a trip since--until going to San Diego for a work conference a couple of weeks ago. Kids do that to your vacation schedule.

MadtownPacker
09-03-2008, 03:49 AM
I'm surprised you hadn't seen a dolphin before this summer.They are racist.

I saw whales, dolphins, sea lions in northern Cali when I was there. Monterrey was our last trip before we found out my wife was pregnant. I hadn't been on a trip since--until going to San Diego for a work conference a couple of weeks ago. Kids do that to your vacation schedule.
Sea lions are like stray dog. You wonder why there are so many and why someone hasnt taken them away yet.

Sounds like Disneyland is the only place left for you to go.

Iron Mike
09-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Sea lions are like stray dogs.

Harbor seals are cuter than stray dogs, tho...

http://www.montereyinfocenter.com/images/harbor-seal.jpg

Iron Mike
09-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Monterey is pretty cool. I'm surprised you hadn't seen a dolphin before this summer. I saw whales, dolphins, sea lions in northern Cali when I was there.

Sea Otters are always pretty good for some lulz:

http://www.mbayaq.org/efc/efc_otter/otter_cam.asp

retailguy
09-03-2008, 12:28 PM

The Oregon Coast is attractive in that it has both sandy beaches as well as areas with rocky cliffs. Don't fantasize about "swimming" in the ocean during the summer time. You can wade in the water but it is cold, even in the summer time.

Yes, there are a few hardy(or foolish) souls who do swim without the benefits of a wetsuit but they don't stay in the water very long.

I bought my Jeep Grand Cherokee, that I gave to my Mother a few years back in Coos Bay. Neat town, my wife and I enjoyed it. Very pretty drive in from the I-5. We should have went down the coast (101) but I was pulling a trailer as we towed it home....

oregonpackfan
09-03-2008, 11:07 PM
I bought my Jeep Grand Cherokee, that I gave to my Mother a few years back in Coos Bay. Neat town, my wife and I enjoyed it. Very pretty drive in from the I-5. We should have went down the coast (101) but I was pulling a trailer as we towed it home....[/quote]

Coos Bay is the hometown of the famous U of O distance running legend Steve Prefontaine.

Little Whiskey
09-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Sea lions are like stray dogs.

Harbor seals are cuter than stray dogs, tho...

http://www.montereyinfocenter.com/images/harbor-seal.jpg

can you hunt Harbor seals? a few years back a guy in wisconsin was trying to open a hunting season on ferrel cats. maybe they can do the same.

SkinBasket
09-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Serious business out there:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g188/skinbasket/KHSITH.jpg

Here's the link:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU

Little Whiskey
09-04-2008, 05:44 PM
I can't imagine there is much meat to those things. might not be worth the bullet.

GBRulz
09-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Serious business out there:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g188/skinbasket/KHSITH.jpg

Here's the link:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU

I actually thought it was serious until the Rick Roll, link.

SkinBasket
09-04-2008, 09:42 PM
I actually thought it was serious until the Rick Roll, link.

Thanks for ruining my rickroll. Downer.

I thought the plaintive seal cub was effective enough to get Harlan to bite.

BallHawk
09-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Rather than starting a new thread I thought I'd ask this question in a semi-related thread.

Due to US Airways being incompetent to the highest degree I have two free roundtrip tickets anywhere in the Lower 48. Figured that if you can go anywhere might as well go out West and get the most for your money/hassle.

Question is, what would be the best 1 or 2 spots to camp out west? I'm talking great scenery, great hiking, wildlife, etc.

MJZiggy
09-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Duh. No brainer. Go to Green Bay.

Scott Campbell
09-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Question is, what would be the best 1 or 2 spots to camp out west? I'm talking great scenery, great hiking, wildlife, etc.

What time of year?

retailguy
09-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Rather than starting a new thread I thought I'd ask this question in a semi-related thread.

Due to US Airways being incompetent to the highest degree I have two free roundtrip tickets anywhere in the Lower 48. Figured that if you can go anywhere might as well go out West and get the most for your money/hassle.

15 year olds get to fly to the West Coast to camp? Yeah right. :roll:

You can't go wrong with Mount Rainier. It's got everything you want, plus having the Seattle metro area a little over 1 hour away.

July is typically the most beautiful month in the Northwest. Average temp 75-80 with no measurable humidity.

BallHawk
09-20-2008, 01:40 PM

What time of year?

Thinking spring break/Easter.

BallHawk
09-20-2008, 01:41 PM

Yup. I'm going with my fiancé...uh....I mean Dad.

Father-son bonding trip?

Scott Campbell
09-20-2008, 01:52 PM
April? That's a great time of year for Zion. It'll be warm but not hot. Middle of summer there is too hot.

Fly to Vegas - little over 2 hour drive to the park entrance.

retailguy
09-20-2008, 02:56 PM

Yup. I'm going with my fiancé...uh....I mean Dad.

Father-son bonding trip?

It'll be rainy and cold in April, probably wouldn't want to camp. Rainier is definitely a summer trip if you want to camp.

Yosemite is nice at that time of the year, so is Big Sur, but it'd be cool up there in April too. Lake Tahoe is amazing, but still too cold in April. You could get a hotel room though. Scenery like you've never seen growing up in florida, though.

Maybe Tyrone knows about something in AZ or NM.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Ty does know some about AZ and NM. Happy to give advice if you think you are heading that way. Ty, however, woulda never said anything until RG said something..cause, honestly, Ty never thinks of AZ as being West Coast.

Do most people think of AZ, NM as being west coast? Curious to know.

There are also some great rafting that can be done..if you like that kind of thing. There is a great trip that is like 5 days out of Vegas.

P.S. US airways blows...and they are currently suffering as the pilots are at war with each other (america west vs. us airways).

GBRulz
09-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Hmmm, personally...I'd ask if I could apply those tickets for airfare to Hawaii, but that's just me.

I'd say Seattle. My nephew lives out there and he absolutely loves it. He and his finance do quite a bit of camping and backpacking in the mountains. The pictures they have sent me are absolutely beautiful.

Zion is a good choice, too and SC nailed it when he said to fly into Vegas because it's less than 2 hrs away. However, I usually can find good deals flying to Vegas, so I wouldn't use the voucher for that one.

Scott Campbell
09-20-2008, 08:26 PM
However, I usually can find good deals flying to Vegas, so I wouldn't use the voucher for that one.

Good catch, and excellent point.

retailguy
09-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Hmmm, personally...I'd ask if I could apply those tickets for airfare to Hawaii, but that's just me.

I'd say Seattle. My nephew lives out there and he absolutely loves it. He and his finance do quite a bit of camping and backpacking in the mountains. The pictures they have sent me are absolutely beautiful.

Zion is a good choice, too and SC nailed it when he said to fly into Vegas because it's less than 2 hrs away. However, I usually can find good deals flying to Vegas, so I wouldn't use the voucher for that one.

Seattle is beautiful. I probably enjoyed living there more than anywhere else I've ever lived, but it's damn cold to camp most Easter's.

Voucher would be a great use to Seattle. It can be expensive to get there, especially from Florida.

Well, Ty, (must choose words carefully), I wouldn't consider NM "west coast" but would consider it west. I would consider AZ as "west coast" as Utah. Since we were already talking about UTAH I figured you might have some expertise to lend. But true to form, all you did was parse words and belittle someone, without offering anything of substance. I should have known better. I enjoyed my visit to the Grand Canyon, and Hoover Dam. I spent ONE NIGHT in Alburqurque traveling through to California on the 40, so I thought you might know the area a bit better than me. guess I was wrong.

Ballhawk, there is some great camping near the Grand Canyon. Pretty sure you could weather the elements in April if you wanted to camp. Other than that, I've got no clue, but, at least I tried.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-21-2008, 12:22 PM

Seattle is beautiful. I probably enjoyed living there more than anywhere else I've ever lived, but it's damn cold to camp most Easter's.

Voucher would be a great use to Seattle. It can be expensive to get there, especially from Florida.

Well, Ty, (must choose words carefully), I wouldn't consider NM "west coast" but would consider it west. I would consider AZ as "west coast" as Utah. Since we were already talking about UTAH I figured you might have some expertise to lend. But true to form, all you did was parse words and belittle someone, without offering anything of substance. I should have known better. I enjoyed my visit to the Grand Canyon, and Hoover Dam. I spent ONE NIGHT in Alburqurque traveling through to California on the 40, so I thought you might know the area a bit better than me. guess I was wrong.

Ballhawk, there is some great camping near the Grand Canyon. Pretty sure you could weather the elements in April if you wanted to camp. Other than that, I've got no clue, but, at least I tried.

Once again, you parse something that isn't there. I wasn't belittling you...as was sincerely asking if people considered AZ and NM west coast when considering travel.

I don't, but if that is what people think then i would reevaluate what i consider and think differently.

You mite want to consider that the world doesn't revolve around you and not everything is a directed at you.

Little Whiskey
09-24-2008, 04:47 PM
a couple years back I took a trip out to Idaho. fishing the salmon river. great time

Iron Mike
09-24-2008, 05:29 PM

http://www.stateparks.com/ano_nuevo.html

http://nrs.ucop.edu/Reserves/AnoNuevo-Seals.jpg

falco
09-24-2008, 06:14 PM
i enjoy camping out in the bed of the nearest motel 8

stay away from the one in monterey bay though they will screw you over big time

*COUGH* ASSHOLES *COUGH*