PDA

View Full Version : Mike Sherman in trouble after just one game?

Packgator
08-31-2008, 11:37 PM
The Mike Sherman era got off to a bad start yesterday when Texas A&M lost at home to Arkansas State. Looks like he's feeling the heat already......

MIKE SHERMAN IN TROUBLE AFTER ONE GAME

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 31, 2008, 12:38 p.m.

If the Texas A&M fans I’ve heard from are any indication, most folks in College Station would be happy to see new coach Mike Sherman fired after one game leading the Aggies.

Of course, when that one game is an 18-14 loss to Arkansas State at Kyle Field, it’s not exactly a surprise that the natives are getting restless.

“This is a game you expect Texas A&M to win, and that’s not taking anything away from Arkansas State,” Sherman said shortly after the Aggies lost their home opener for the first time in two decades. “They did a phenomenal job, and I give them all the credit in the world. But we were at home, and we expected to beat them.”

Last year Arkansas State gave Texas a much tougher test than anyone expected in the opener, losing 21-13 and keeping it competitive for four quarters in a game the Longhorns thought would just be an easy tuneup. So the Aggies should have been ready for a fight. They weren’t.

Dennis Franchione was never the most popular guy at Texas A&M, and fans were plenty ready to wish him good riddance after last season’s 7-5 record. But Sherman doesn’t look like he’s going to get close to seven wins this year.

http://www.collegefootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Kiwon
08-31-2008, 11:43 PM
Arkansas State is good this year. They've got...........er,um......

Did Sherman use "U-71?"

Scott Campbell
08-31-2008, 11:44 PM
We'll get that fixed.

Lurker64
08-31-2008, 11:51 PM
http://bp0.blogger.com/_7OC0YbG2fek/R0rPdDaAWNI/AAAAAAAAD00/TsGIUkEw_kg/s400/mikeshermansleeping.jpg

Never gets old...

mraynrand
09-01-2008, 12:21 AM
FIRE SHERMHEAD!!!!!!

mission
09-01-2008, 02:11 AM
http://bp0.blogger.com/_7OC0YbG2fek/R0rPdDaAWNI/AAAAAAAAD00/TsGIUkEw_kg/s400/mikeshermansleeping.jpg

Never gets old...

No it doesnt!

Neither do the "that musta been when BJ Sanders was punting"-ish quotes :lol:

Pacopete4
09-01-2008, 02:19 AM
I will always stand by him being a good head coach... just a bad GM... no need to rip the guy, don't any Packer fans have any respect on these boards?... what a joke...

Lurker64
09-01-2008, 02:51 AM
I will always stand by him being a good head coach... just a bad GM... no need to rip the guy, don't any Packer fans have any respect on these boards?... what a joke...

I don't think any of us seriously hate Sherman, what the hell's the point? I think this is a combination of "where are they now?" and "good-natured ribbing."

Pacopete4
09-01-2008, 02:54 AM

I don't think any of us seriously hate Sherman, what the hell's the point? I think this is a combination of "where are they now?" and "good-natured ribbing."

just doesnt make sense for a guy that won a ton of games for us... thats all...

Lurker64
09-01-2008, 03:08 AM

Good natured ribbing doesn't make sense for a guy who won a ton of games for us? Really?

I think you're just a little too uptight about this. You rib someone goodnaturedly because you like them, but you're not unaware of their foibles and failings. It's the same way as if Brett Favre blows a game for the Jets this year by throwing a really boneheaded INT late in the game. I'm not going to joke about it because I hate Brett. On the contrary, I'm going to joke about it because I like Brett, but as a Packer fan for a number of years I'm acutely aware of the fact that he does stuff like that.

Don't ignore the foibles, shortcomings, and failures of people just because you like them. It's because you like someone that those things can be funny.

mission
09-01-2008, 04:27 AM

Good natured ribbing doesn't make sense for a guy who won a ton of games for us? Really?

I think you're just a little too uptight about this. You rib someone goodnaturedly because you like them, but you're not unaware of their foibles and failings. It's the same way as if Brett Favre blows a game for the Jets this year by throwing a really boneheaded INT late in the game. I'm not going to joke about it because I hate Brett. On the contrary, I'm going to joke about it because I like Brett, but as a Packer fan for a number of years I'm acutely aware of the fact that he does stuff like that.

Don't ignore the foibles, shortcomings, and failures of people just because you like them. It's because you like someone that those things can be funny.

You're a much bigger man than I, sir.

ThunderDan
09-01-2008, 07:30 AM

Really? You thought he was a good head coach?

1. He could NEVER make an in game adjustment!
2. He had to be the WORST end of game and half manager!

I can't remember who it was against but we didn't call any timeouts to stop the clock from running on D and the other team scored a TD. Instead of being down 2 or 3 with 45 seconds there was only 3 seconds on the clock.

Sherman in the press conference says something like, "I thought our defence would hold, we didn't need to call timeouts."

Way to consider all possible outcomes and prepare for the worst. Similar scenarios occured at least twice a year.

ahaha
09-01-2008, 08:27 AM

I can't remember who it was against but we didn't call any timeouts to stop the clock from running on D and the other team scored a TD. Instead of being down 2 or 3 with 45 seconds there was only 3 seconds on the clock.

Sherman in the press conference says something like, "I thought our defence would hold, we didn't need to call timeouts."

Way to consider all possible outcomes and prepare for the worst. Similar scenarios occured at least twice a year.

Ray Rhodes did that against Carolina. He said he wanted to show the defense he was confindent in them, even though they had been awful all day.

mmmdk
09-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Shermy had a hand of the Favros we know today...BTW that's not a good thing. Adversity reveals character and it surely did for Favros plus all of his sons & daughters. That's a lot of Favros for one day! :lol:

mraynrand
09-01-2008, 09:32 AM

Ray Rhodes did that against Carolina. He said he wanted to show the defense he was confindent in them, even though they had been awful all day.

True story about that game. Carolina is driving and I'm sitting about 20 or so rows up on the 10 yard line, behind Rhodes. I'm going out of my mind because Ray refuses to call a time out. I start getting a chant "Call a time out, call a time out..." going in my section. It gets so loud and I swear on my (something) that Rhodes looked up, noticed us and called a time out. Before that, he was just sitting there on the sideline, chewing his cud, with a totally blank stare. Then, on that last play, 10-20 guys around me are chanting "QB sneak, QB sneak" I can still see that dummy Sharper looking totally clueless as he gets scored on...

mmmdk
09-01-2008, 09:34 AM

True story about that game. Carolina is driving and I'm sitting about 20 or so rows up on the 10 yard line, behind Rhodes. I'm going out of my mind because Ray refuses to call a time out. I start getting a chant "Call a time out, call a time out..." going in my section. It gets so loud and I swear on my (something) that Rhodes looked up, noticed us and called a time out. Before that, he was just sitting there on the sideline, chewing his cud, with a totally blank stare. Then, on that last play, 10-20 guys around me are chanting "QB sneak, QB sneak" I can still see that dummy Sharper looking totally clueless as he gets scored on...

Great story - thanx - I'll check it as I've got it on dvd.

pbmax
09-01-2008, 09:38 AM
That was a favorite of Ray Rhodes' as well. If I was in the Packer PR dept. I would warn against ever using that phrase. Just sends chills down my spine when I hear it.

Maybe if Mike can raise some money from boosters for digital clocks...

We'll get that fixed.

Fritz
09-01-2008, 09:39 AM
"So the Aggies should have been ready for a fight. They weren’t."

A team that comes out looking unready to play? This sounds vaguely familiar...

cpk1994
09-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Tank is probably down on a Texas A&M board extolling the virtues of Sherman and saying the loss was Ted Thompson's fault.

Tarlam!
09-01-2008, 09:59 AM
That was a favorite of Ray Rhodes' as well. If I was in the Packer PR dept. I would warn against ever using that phrase. Just sends chills down my spine when I hear it.

We'll get that fixed.

Well guess what? M3 uses it every chance he gets.

Fritz
09-01-2008, 10:01 AM

We'll get that fixed.

I think he needs to get that fixed.

mraynrand
09-01-2008, 10:03 AM

Great story - thanx - I'll check it as I've got it on dvd.

For fun, if you don't recall - that's the same game in which Favre jukes Green out of his jockstrap on a run and then, as he returns to the huddle, gives him a huge bear hug. It's hilarious.

pbmax
09-01-2008, 10:18 AM

We'll get that fixed.

I think he needs to get that fixed.

I don't like it better anymore today than in 1999. But when you are 13-3 rather than 8-8, the recovery time is shorter. :lol:

mraynrand
09-01-2008, 10:26 AM
We'll get that fixed.

That's the phrase we always used at the Willow Creek Veterinary Clinic.

Scott Campbell
09-01-2008, 10:43 AM

We'll get that fixed.

McCarthy is a lot more believable.

Sherman always looked like he had no idea how he was going to fix it, but said it just because it sounded good.

And what do I base all this on? Mostly nuthin. Just a vibe. :lol:

MJZiggy
09-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Maybe it's because M3 occasionally tosses another word in there, like, corrected, or "we gotta improve in that area" etc. Besides, oftentimes he actually fixes whatever the problem was or at least they're reported to be working on the problem area.

AV David
09-01-2008, 11:32 AM
"I will always stand by him being a good head coach... just a bad GM... no need to rip the guy, don't any Packer fans have any respect on these boards?... what a joke..."

Paco:

Respect is a two way street. It is also disrespectful to constantly refer to those who honestly disagree as:

1. dumbass
2. idiot
3. moron etc

bobblehead
09-01-2008, 11:39 AM

This is your first post I liked in months...in fairness its the first one i read in weeks as I have fully avoided all things favre for awhile now, but I agree, Sherman wasn't a bad coach, but he made some very bad personnel decisions.

Guiness
09-01-2008, 11:53 AM
I don't know much about College football - especially the teams from the south.

How big is this upset? Was this supposed to be one of those cupcake tune-up games? It doesn't look like it, because Arkansas played them tough last year.

Zool
09-01-2008, 03:31 PM

This is your first post I liked in months...in fairness its the first one i read in weeks as I have fully avoided all things favre for awhile now, but I agree, Sherman wasn't a bad coach, but he made some very bad personnel decisions.

I guess I always think of Sherman like Shottenheimer. When the shit hits the fan, Shermy is stuck staring at that big ass printout that the has laminated, then glancing up at the scoreboard. Repeat as necessary.

cpk1994
09-02-2008, 09:06 AM

How big is this upset? Was this supposed to be one of those cupcake tune-up games? It doesn't look like it, because Arkansas played them tough last year.This was Arkansas STATE. That's a Div-1AA team. This is a very embarassing start. Especailly at home.

mraynrand
09-02-2008, 09:26 AM

How big is this upset? Was this supposed to be one of those cupcake tune-up games? It doesn't look like it, because Arkansas played them tough last year.This was Arkansas STATE. That's a Div-1AA team. This is a very embarassing start. Especailly at home.

At least he didn't lose to UTAH.

cpk1994
09-02-2008, 10:50 AM

At least he didn't lose to UTAH.Utah is a Div 1A team with BCS aspirations. Arkansas State is a Div 1-AA team. He would have been better off losing to Utah. At least they are in the same division.

NewsBruin
09-03-2008, 12:09 AM
Whenever I have a bad day, there is no shortage of consolation from reading the Texags Football (http://www.texags.com/main/forum.topic.asp?forum_id=5&days=2) forum.

mraynrand
09-03-2008, 12:24 AM

At least he didn't lose to UTAH.Utah is a Div 1A team with BCS aspirations. Arkansas State is a Div 1-AA team. He would have been better off losing to Utah. At least they are in the same division.

It wasn't meant to be taken literally. I was alluding to Michigan losing at home to Utah - a far worse loss, relatively speaking. Although, fool me twice....

Scott Campbell
09-03-2008, 01:14 AM

Texas A&M isn't Michigan either.

Pugger
09-03-2008, 12:24 PM
One of the things that Sherman did that drove me crazy (besides never saying one word to Brett after BF screwed up during a game) was his lack of urgency at times. I remember games where we'd be behind by 2 scores in the 4th quarter and our offense would be dilly-dallying around like they had all day. We'd score but it took us forever to move the damn ball down the field. It gave me ulcers!!! :x Of course back then we had no defense so we'd never get the ball again. :roll:

Gunakor
09-03-2008, 01:10 PM

I really didn't like Sherman as a coach. He was a great gameplanner from Tuesday thru Saturday, but couldn't make adjustments to that gameplan on the fly come Sunday. Horrible gameday coach. Was lucky he had talented players brought in by Ron Wolf that could overcome his coaching sometimes. Did not show confidence in his players when he really needed to - see 4th and 1 against the Iggles. He's probably better suited to being a coordinator than a head coach. As I said, he's input is extremely valuable when forming a gameplan, as long as someone else is running the show on gameday.

cpk1994
09-03-2008, 01:11 PM
I ceased to believe that Sherman was a good coach after the Atlanta playoff game where he declined to challenge the punt/fumble then blamed the referees for giving him false information for why he didn't challenge and then only days later did he finally take responsibility for his bonehead decision. Combine that with covering for all Favre's mistakes, Sherman was all excuses.

Lurker64
09-03-2008, 01:55 PM
I ceased to believe that Sherman was a good coach after the Atlanta playoff game where he declined to challenge the punt/fumble then blamed the referees for giving him false information for why he didn't challenge and then only days later did he finally take responsibility for his bonehead decision.

I think more than blame on Sherman here, some blame needs to go to the fact that he apparently had nobody in the booth looking at the review and saying "Yeah, you should challenger that". I mean, there's no NFL salary cap for coaches, you can hire a guy to do nothing but that!

rpiotr01
09-03-2008, 02:21 PM
I never liked Grandpa Rosley calling the game from up in the booth, gently rocking back and forth from his rocking chair.

That and the vest. Don't get me started on that vest...

cpk1994
09-03-2008, 02:53 PM
I ceased to believe that Sherman was a good coach after the Atlanta playoff game where he declined to challenge the punt/fumble then blamed the referees for giving him false information for why he didn't challenge and then only days later did he finally take responsibility for his bonehead decision.

I think more than blame on Sherman here, some blame needs to go to the fact that he apparently had nobody in the booth looking at the review and saying "Yeah, you should challenger that". I mean, there's no NFL salary cap for coaches, you can hire a guy to do nothing but that!Thing is he had 64,000+ screaming at him to challenge it and he sat there with a dumb ass look on his face. Hell, even John Madden was practically calling him an idiot for not challenging.

pbmax
09-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Sherman did, at times seem to come from the same coaching tree that produced the Andy Reid/Donovan McNabb school of clock management.

However, Brett Favre likely thought Sherman came down too hard on certain items. His personal media consultant at the time, Terry Bradshaw, once upbraided Sherman for forcing Favre to relive all the ints through video with Rossely during the weekly meetings.

One of the things that Sherman did that drove me crazy (besides never saying one word to Brett after BF screwed up during a game) was his lack of urgency at times. I remember games where we'd be behind by 2 scores in the 4th quarter and our offense would be dilly-dallying around like they had all day. We'd score but it took us forever to move the damn ball down the field. It gave me ulcers!!! :x Of course back then we had no defense so we'd never get the ball again. :roll:

ThunderDan
11-28-2008, 10:15 PM
I thought I would dump this thread now that the Aggies season is over.

They finished 4-8 and got outscored 449 - 300 during the season. Of course they did have to play Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Texas.

cpk1994
11-29-2008, 06:19 AM

They finished 4-8 and got outscored 449 - 300 during the season. Of course they did have to play Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Texas.Ya know Id actually wish Tank was here to try to defend his boy Sherman. That would be some unreal comedy.

MateoInMex
11-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Wet toilet-paper defense was Charmin's forte in Green Bay. That and helping destroy 5 years of Brett Favres career. I'll never forget the move to trade up and grab Ray Guy winner BJ Sander.

And who could forget after the first game of one of Charmin's seasons, Charmin blowing up on the sideline at Cletidus Hunt's defensive play? I think Cletidus closed his eyes during the tirade, and just smiled at all the green Charmin paid that fat lazy jackass.

KYPack
11-29-2008, 10:58 AM

They finished 4-8 and got outscored 449 - 300 during the season. Of course they did have to play Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Texas.Ya know Id actually wish Tank was here to try to defend his boy Sherman. That would be some unreal comedy.

He might show up.

He got banned again over at JSO Jr.

cpk1994
11-29-2008, 01:32 PM

He might show up.

He got banned again over at JSO Jr.I doubt it. He has been "banned" there several times and keeps showing back up.