PDA

View Full Version : Ben Rothesburger should be grateful to be alive!

oregonpackfan
06-18-2006, 11:46 PM
Ben Rothlesburger better thank God he is still alive.

Two years ago, an 18 year old girl was killed in a motorcycle accident in our small town in Oregon. She was riding as a passenger in the back of a motorcycle and wearing a helmet.

The driver was an 18 year old boy who had just received a new motorcycle the week before.

It was the girl's first motorcycle ride. They were coming down a steep, winding hill called Ladd Hill. The driver could not make the turn and they went off the road. The girl's head hit a large rock killing her instantly even though she was wearing a helmet. The boy suffered just minor bruises.

Both young people were fine young adults. They were honor students. The girl was head cheerleader of our local high school and an All-American type of girl.

To their credit, her parents set up an academic scholarship in her name--The Katie Murray Scholarship.

For the second year, the Katie Murray Scholarship was awarded to 5 deserving, high-achieving female students. One of those 5 girls is my daughter, who will be attending Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma, WA.

After the ceremony, it was quite a moving experience to shake hands with Katie's father and thank him for the scholarship opportunity he and his wife gave my daughter. It took quite a bit of courage for him to personally be there and make that presentation.

We took a picture of him along with my daughter.

Ben Rothesburger got a second chance after his motorcycle accident. Katie never got a second chance.

Oregonpackfan