PDA

View Full Version : Viking's Weaknesses

Partial
09-01-2008, 12:35 PM
What are the Vikings weaknesses and if you were a coach playing against them, how would you scheme to defeat them?

mmmdk
09-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Be cocky - spread out your WRs and dare run the ball. One thing though; passing game must open up run game.

On defense: stop the run!

That's a tall order.

RashanGary
09-01-2008, 12:42 PM
I think they have 2 good pass rushers (K. Williams and J Allen)

If you have a good LT, you can get away with just help from a runnign back rather than having to use a TE and a LT to block one guy. Inside I would double K Williams on passing downs and force the other 2 to beat you one on one. I don't think they can. It's always the 3rd pass rusher that is dangerous (see the NY Giants). I would vary protection schemes, but overall, on passing plays I would put more focus on their big 2. Sometimes I would use a TE to chip Allen, sometimes I would use a full double, sometimes I would go one on one, with him thinking there was help so using a less effective rush. I'd vary it, and keep them off balance with the protection.

I would pass all day using the above described protection scheme, but mixing it up and keeping them off balance. I would give Rodgers the ability to check into the best play and take advantage of whatever weaknesses their secondary is offering.

On defense I would get my back 7 amped up to tackle low. AP is too strong to tackle high but he does run high and leaves his legs wide open for easy tackles. I would hit him all day and make him earn every yard. I would stack the box and force their average WR's and bad QB to beat us.

Dabaddestbear
09-01-2008, 12:42 PM
The QB, if you rush him from all angles then "HE WILL" chuck it up with his eyes close. Seriously.

I would not go four wide with the Packs O-line at any time in the game. The Vikes will sit back and let the front four kill Rodgers. Have you guys seen their protection schemes?

But if you can stop the run game (which is possible with Mount Mckinnie being out) then you will have a chance.

mmmdk
09-01-2008, 01:05 PM
I think they have 2 good pass rushers (K. Williams and J Allen)

If you have a good LT, you can get away with just help from a runnign back rather than having to use a TE and a LT to block one guy. Inside I would double K Williams on passing downs and force the other 2 to beat you one on one. I don't think they can. It's always the 3rd pass rusher that is dangerous (see the NY Giants). I would vary protection schemes, but overall, on passing plays I would put more focus on their big 2. Sometimes I would use a TE to chip Allen, sometimes I would use a full double, sometimes I would go one on one, with him thinking there was help so using a less effective rush. I'd vary it, and keep them off balance with the protection.

I would pass all day using the above described protection scheme, but mixing it up and keeping them off balance. I would give Rodgers the ability to check into the best play and take advantage of whatever weaknesses their secondary is offering.

On defense I would get my back 7 amped up to tackle low. AP is too strong to tackle high but he does run high and leaves his legs wide open for easy tackles. I would hit him all day and make him earn every yard. I would stack the box and force their average WR's and bad QB to beat us.

Good post and this is from the Euro Rat; I rarely hand those accolades out :)

ahaha
09-01-2008, 01:21 PM
I would not go four wide with the Packs O-line at any time in the game. The Vikes will sit back and let the front four kill Rodgers. Have you guys seen their protection schemes?

Have you? The Packers finished last year with 19 sacks allowed, tied for 3rd best in the NFL. Combine that with the fact that they finished with the 6th most pass attempts. That's damned impressive.

And, saying Favre is the reason for such an impressive sack ratio is a ridiculously over simplification.(Not that you're saying that, but many people do.) The truth is that impressive numbers like that come from multiple factors, some including:

-A good pass protecting o-line
-Receivers who can get open, and make good pre-snap reads
-An elusive QB, and/or one who makes great reads
-Good blitz pick-up by running backs
-A good running game to keep defense guessing
-Good deceptive play-calling

MJZiggy
09-01-2008, 01:25 PM

Have you? The Packers finished last year with 19 sacks allowed, tied for 3rd best in the NFL. Combine that with the fact that they finished with the 6th most pass attempts. That's damned impressive.

And, saying Favre is the reason for such an impressive sack ratio is a ridiculously over simplification.(Not that you're saying that, but many people do.) The truth is that impressive numbers like that come from multiple factors, some including:

Nice point.

Dabaddestbear
09-01-2008, 01:27 PM

Well they no longer seem to have a good pass protecting O-line with Rodgers happy feet. A scrambling QB has its plus and minuses, and one of the minuses include getting sacked more because you run outside your protection a lot more.
Plus Rodgers does not get the ball out no where near as quick as Brett. That may improve in time, but not by week one.

And a good running game comes with a good o-line, not withstanding the fact that not many wanted to bring 8 in the box with Brett tossing the pill around. Rodgers will get that a lot more often, therefore making it hard to get the running game going.

SMACKTALKIE
09-01-2008, 01:29 PM
The QB, if you rush him from all angles then "HE WILL" chuck it up with his eyes close. Seriously.

But if you can stop the run game (which is possible with Mount Mckinnie being out) then you will have a chance.

Hmmmm..."Chuck it up with his eyes closed" I don't think so.

The 4 wide thing may not be as effective this year given the Vikings front 4.

As far as McKinnie being out....not as big a blow in the run game as in the passing game. Hicks is a pretty decent run blocker where most would say that is McKinnie's weakness. Pass protection is where Hicks struggles at times and where McKinnie is strongest.

Rastak
09-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Run a few screens, move Rodgers around. Throw the ball early and often. Max protect if necessary. They will likely have a rookie at safety, try and exploit that. On defense, blitz. Jackson will not be as mobile as usual. He's had most of a year of starting but last year didn't handle it well when under pressure. Force him to show that he can step up or scramble and hit the open guy. Again, he did that in the preseason before he got hurt but preseason isn't regular season, it goes up several notches.

ahaha
09-01-2008, 01:35 PM

Well they no longer seem to have a good pass protecting O-line with Rodgers happy feet. A scrambling QB has its plus and minuses, and one of the minuses include getting sacked more because you run outside your protection a lot more.
Plus Rodgers does not get the ball out no where near as quick as Brett. That may improve in time, but not by week one.

And a good running game comes with a good o-line, not withstanding the fact that not many wanted to bring 8 in the box with Brett tossing the pill around. Rodgers will get that a lot more often, therefore making it hard to get the running game going.

I disagree with all of your analysis, except for their ability to get the ball out quick. Although, I don't think it's that much of a difference.
I really hope that teams do a lot of eight in the box. If three guys are left to cover Driver, Jennings, and/or Jones, Rodgers will have a field day.

Partial
09-01-2008, 01:47 PM
I think M3 is gonna come out slinging the rock. I predict we open the game with a 5 wide set. I suspect they stick with it for the first 4 plays of the game.

Watch, they start in a triple TE set all within the hashes :lol:

But yeah, I could see them spreading them out to an insane degree, and going with lots of 5 yard crossing routes. Dink and dunk them into exhaustion. Not only will it get the fans pumped but it is a pretty easy gameplan for A-Rod since he won't have hang onto the ball long, and it will be perfect to build his confidence and get some swagger going.

It's important to get off to a hot start. The first four games are absolutely brutal.

I really hope we can go with the 5 horses up front we rode last year. I really don't care if Barber or Sitton has potential or whatever. Why break what worked?

Tony Oday
09-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Spread it out in the first half against the Vikes then run it to the corners in the second half and wear them down.

Defense is real easy 11 men in the box ;) hehe Ok not really but dang close. McKinnie is a MUCH better run blocker than a pass blocker. He doesnt have the feet and is a very overrated LT. We need to get preasure and an early turnover or the play action is going to kill us all day long.

Zool
09-01-2008, 03:36 PM
I think M3 is gonna come out slinging the rock. I predict we open the game with a 5 wide set. I suspect they stick with it for the first 4 plays of the game.

But yeah, I could see them spreading them out to an insane degree, and going with lots of 5 yard crossing routes. Dink and dunk them into exhaustion. Not only will it get the fans pumped but it is a pretty easy gameplan for A-Rod since he won't have hang onto the ball long, and it will be perfect to build his confidence and get some swagger going.

It's important to get off to a hot start. The first four games are absolutely brutal.

I really hope we can go with the 5 horses up front we rode last year. I really don't care if Barber or Sitton has potential or whatever. Why break what worked?

I wouldnt be surprised to see a 4 wide to start the game with Grant lined up at 5 deep. I would be surprised to see them try to out muscle the Vikes front 4 in the first half. I think it will be 3 wide with a heavy dose of slants, lots of Lee in motion with short crossing routes and Grant on draws and screens. A talented QB with confidence and timing going into the second half is dangerous with our RAC ability.

SMACKTALKIE
09-01-2008, 05:29 PM

I wouldnt be surprised to see a 4 wide to start the game with Grant lined up at 5 deep. I would be surprised to see them try to out muscle the Vikes front 4 in the first half. I think it will be 3 wide with a heavy dose of slants, lots of Lee in motion with short crossing routes and Grant on draws and screens. A talented QB with confidence and timing going into the second half is dangerous with our RAC ability.

The YAC is always a concern against the Packers. Vikes have looked solid defensively as far as YAC has gone so far, Greenway especially has looked solid. The front 4 put tons of pressure on the QB the last time they played together against Rothlisberger.

mmmdk
09-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Run a few screens, move Rodgers around. Throw the ball early and often. Max protect if necessary. They will likely have a rookie at safety, try and exploit that. On defense, blitz. Jackson will not be as mobile as usual. He's had most of a year of starting but last year didn't handle it well when under pressure. Force him to show that he can step up or scramble and hit the open guy. Again, he did that in the preseason before he got hurt but preseason isn't regular season, it goes up several notches.

It's a trick...don't believe a word :lol:

Rastak
09-01-2008, 05:31 PM

It's a trick...don't believe a word :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pacopete4
09-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Force them to turnover the ball and capitalize on those chances and you'll probably win this game because they are not going to be a team that scores a ton of points per game

Guiness
09-01-2008, 06:18 PM
I don't see us doing many four wide sets - I think baddest bear and smacktalkie are right that their front four will rule the game if we try too much of that.

We won last year by having Grant run to the edges, and make the fat boys move. Anyone got any thoughts on why that worked so well, and if we'll do it again?

On D, I think we'll be pretty vanilla, with guys the DL concentrating on staying in their lanes, Pop and Hawk in full run support.

Zool
09-01-2008, 10:44 PM
The front 4 put tons of pressure on the QB the last time they played together against Rothlisberger.

Exactly. Thats why I expect a bunch of 3 step drops with some draws mixed in for the first few series. If the Packers can move the ball down the field 3-4 times in the first half with short passes, that brings Cherry Picker Sharper up where he doesn't like to be.

boiga
09-01-2008, 11:00 PM
I expect to see a lot of early passing and then have Grant make some tremendous runs around the right during play action fakes. Jared Allen will over pursue and leave a big hole for Grant. He never was a great run blocker.

Also, if we want to win this game we better hope that KGB will be at full speed. If he is, TJack isn't going to be happy camper with KGB bearing down into his blindspot every 3rd and long and only McKinnie's replacement trying to hold back the flood.

Ballboy
09-02-2008, 10:58 AM
On D I would have the SS & FS up in the box, heck I might even start 5 LB's...the passing game really doesn't scare me, WR's suck, I can't pronounce the TE's name.

As for Offense I would agree with 4-5 WR, shotgun with 5 yard routes. Rodgers should always be rolling out to one side or another...maybe tire out the big DT's.

mngolf19
09-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Slants are always good against a strong DL but it may not be as effective this year. Last year the Vikes had a hard time applying pressure without blitzing, this year they shouldn't have to blitz nearly as much and can sit back on those routes.

SMACKTALKIE
09-02-2008, 01:34 PM
I expect to see a lot of early passing and then have Grant make some tremendous runs around the right during play action fakes. Jared Allen will over pursue and leave a big hole for Grant. He never was a great run blocker.

Also, if we want to win this game we better hope that KGB will be at full speed. If he is, TJack isn't going to be happy camper with KGB bearing down into his blindspot every 3rd and long and only McKinnie's replacement trying to hold back the flood.

How do you run on play action?

Harlan Huckleby
09-02-2008, 01:40 PM

is KGB practicing?

HarveyWallbangers
09-02-2008, 01:41 PM

You haven't seen our vaunted Statue of Liberty play, have you?
:D

mmmdk
09-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Wearing purple is so weak; damnit it's their away jerseys :x

Zool
09-02-2008, 01:44 PM

I'm not telling you. You'll find out on the 8th.

SMACKTALKIE
09-02-2008, 02:01 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheesehead Craig
09-02-2008, 02:43 PM
You look and see if Childress is still their coach. If he is, shouldn't be a problem winning. :D

boiga
09-02-2008, 08:24 PM
How do you run on play action? :oops: This is what I get for posting while curled up in a ball from a stomach virus....

is KGB practicing? He practiced Monday, but not Tuesday. He said he it was fine, but who knows if he stayed out today to rest or because it flared up again. They'll probably keep whether he is playing or not under wraps as long as they can.

On a good note, Bigby Practiced on Tuesday, which could be a big boost towards tipped passes from scared Vike receivers.

gbgary
09-02-2008, 08:32 PM
What are the Vikings weaknesses?

raw meat, looting and pillaging, sex with animals. :D

oh...and quarterback!

Merlin
09-03-2008, 11:40 AM
I expect us to come out with some very "safe" pass plays for Rodgers so he can get comfortable early. It's a huge stage being MNF, his first start, the first post-Favre game. No reason to come out with 4-5 WR and go right at the Vikings. You need to get Rodgers comfortable first, you come out and start over thinking everything, gambling, and Rodgers confidence will be shaken pretty quickly. After the San Fran game, he looked very skiddish in the pocket against Denver and this defensive line is much much better then San Fran and we will have a not so great situation with our starting OL. How this start goes for him will determine how he will look in the next game. Keep it conservative to build his confidence the first and second possession, some time to let the OL get their footing and their assignments right. Once the confidence is there, by all means open it up. Until then, it's suicide to run an aggressive game plan, too many things working against you for it to be successful.

On defense, get to Jackson, period. Adrian Pederson can beat us on his own and he may just do that but if we shake up Jackson early he will second guess everything and they may help us stop the run because play action won't affect us.

AV David
09-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Vikings Scouting Report

It is not whom you play, it is when you play them.

Normally the O line is very good on the left and mediocre to weak on the right. LT McKinney is suspended four games for bashing a bouncer over the head with a pole.

WRs are better than last year but not great. Bernard Berrian is good, but has been nursing a hamstring for a couple of weeks, Sidney Rice is pretty good but only a second year guy. Bobby Wade is a slow smurf. Robert Ferguson is, well, Robert Ferguson.

AP is the real deal.Their FB can block.

QB Tarvaris Jackson is mobile, wild, fragile and inexperienced. He sprained a knee in second preseason game and has not played since. He is practicing this week but has to be a bit rusty.

The Williams Wall (DT) is good against the run, but not as good as the numbers might indicate. They were number one against the run last year, but the pass defense was so bad everybody passed. They get very few sacks. (Ryan Pickett types)

The DEs (esp Jared Allen) can rush the passer, but are just OK against the run.They do have depth at DE. Brian Robison is pretty good as the #3 guy, good pass rusher.

LBs are good but not great.

CBs Antoine Winfield is a terrific cover guy and a good open field tackler. Very small. The other CB is a second year guy who is talented but struggled with a lot of mistakes last year.

They tried to upgrade the weakest part of the defense last year (safeties) by signing Madieu williams from the Bungles. He is supposed to be a pretty good cvover guy but not that good in run support. He has a leg injury and will not play for another 3-4 weeks. The other safety is Darren Sharper.

This is a good time to be playing them.

Very good LT out, replaced by mediocre Artis Hicks.
Good cover safety out and replaced with rookie.
Bernard Berrian slowed by a hamstring injury.
T Jack inexperienced, rusty and fragile.

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Good scouting report. I watch them a lot. The only things I'd disagree with are:

Normally the O line is very good on the left and mediocre to weak on the right. LT McKinney is suspended four games for bashing a bouncer over the head with a pole.

McKinnie is a tad overrated. However, he is much better than Artis Hicks.

The Williams Wall (DT) is good against the run, but not as good as the numbers might indicate. They were number one against the run last year, but the pass defense was so bad everybody passed. They get very few sacks. (Ryan Pickett types)

They are great against the run. Kevin can also rush the passer.

CBs Antoine Winfield is a terrific cover guy and a good open field tackler.

Winfield is a solid cover guy, but he's not great. He is a great tackler.

SMACKTALKIE
09-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Vikings Scouting Report

WRs are better than last year but not great. Bernard Berrian is good, but has been nursing a hamstring for a couple of weeks, Sidney Rice is pretty good but only a second year guy. Bobby Wade is a slow smurf. Robert Ferguson is, well, Robert Ferguson.

AP is the real deal.Their FB can block.

QB Tarvaris Jackson is mobile, wild, fragile and inexperienced. He sprained a knee in second preseason game and has not played since. He is practicing this week but has to be a bit rusty.

The DEs (esp Jared Allen) can rush the passer, but are just OK against the run.They do have depth at DE. Brian Robison is pretty good as the #3 guy, good pass rusher.

LBs are good but not great.

CBs Antoine Winfield is a terrific cover guy and a good open field tackler. Very small. The other CB is a second year guy who is talented but struggled with a lot of mistakes last year.

They tried to upgrade the weakest part of the defense last year (safeties) by signing Madieu williams from the Bungles. He is supposed to be a pretty good cvover guy but not that good in run support. He has a leg injury and will not play for another 3-4 weeks. The other safety is Darren Sharper.

This is a good time to be playing them.

Very good LT out, replaced by mediocre Artis Hicks.
Good cover safety out and replaced with rookie.
Bernard Berrian slowed by a hamstring injury.
T Jack inexperienced, rusty and fragile.

I may have bought into it until you reported that Berrian has a hamstring issue (turf toe) and Madieu Williams has a leg problem (neck). It sounds like you need to do your homework.

It's a heartfelt assesment, but very biased.

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2008, 05:19 PM

He got a couple of injuries wrong, but I think it's a fair assessment. Biased to you maybe, but that's probably because of your own bias.

Scott Campbell
09-03-2008, 05:23 PM

Ok, here comes a stupid question. Could you play action to the fullback. And then do a delayed handoff to the halfback?

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2008, 05:24 PM
I redid it--just for the Vikings fan.

Vikings Scouting Report

Normally the O line is great on the left and solid on the right. LT McKinnie is suspended four games, but the Vikings should see no dropoff.

WRs are much better than last year. Bernard Berrian is good. Sidney Rice is really good. Bobby Wade runs great routes. Robert Ferguson is, well, Robert Ferguson.

AP is the real deal. Their FB can block.

QB Tarvaris Jackson is mobile, consistent, durable and experienced. He sprained a knee in second preseason game and has not played since. He is practicing this week, so he shouldn't be a bit rusty.

The Williams Wall (DT) is great against the run, and even better than the numbers might indicate. They get a ton of sacks.

The DEs (esp Jared Allen) can rush the passer, and are almost as good against the run. They have depth at DE. Brian Robison is pretty good as the #3 guy, good pass rusher.

LBs are great.

CBs Antoine Winfield is a terrific cover guy and a great open field tackler. The other CB is a second year guy who is talented but struggled with a lot of mistakes last year. He should be close to Pro Bowl level this year.

Madieu Williams is a great cover guy and almost as good in run support. He has a leg injury and will not play for another 3-4 weeks. The other safety is Darren Sharper. He's still an All-Pro caliber safety.

This is not a good time to be playing them.

AV David
09-03-2008, 07:08 PM
"AV David wrote:

They are great against the run. Kevin can also rush the passer. "

Harvey:

I am not absolutely positive, but if my memory is correct, K Williams had no sacks in 2006. He may have had a couple last year. I agree he is a heck of a DT.

AV David
09-03-2008, 07:26 PM
"I may have bought into it until you reported that Berrian has a hamstring issue (turf toe) and Madieu Williams has a leg problem (neck). It sounds like you need to do your homework."

You know its not like I give a shit about the Vikings. I just live here.

MadtownPacker
09-03-2008, 07:50 PM

I have a confidential source that is telling me childress schedule a boat trip for Sunday since they had the day off.

Now that is biased reporting. :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2008, 08:08 PM
I am not absolutely positive, but if my memory is correct, K Williams had no sacks in 2006. He may have had a couple last year. I agree he is a heck of a DT.

I think you are thinking of Udeze. He had 0 sacks in 2006. Kevin has 34 sacks in 5 years--although he hasn't had more than 5 since his second year.

Iron Mike
09-03-2008, 09:31 PM

Well, I don't care if it rains or freezes, Long as I got my Purple Jesus....
http://www.nflminute.com/wp-content/themes/tma/images/latest/adrian-peterson-fumble.jpg

gex
09-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Slants are always good against a strong DL but it may not be as effective this year. Last year the Vikes had a hard time applying pressure without blitzing, this year they shouldn't have to blitz nearly as much and can sit back on those routes.

Its going to be a long day for our O-line Monday.
I'd like to hear from some Queens fans what you think the Pack's weakness's are and how the Queens are going to take advantage of them?

mission
09-06-2008, 05:30 PM

I'd like to hear from some Queens fans what you think the Pack's weakness's are and how the Queens are going to take advantage of them?

that's really the only thing that has me worried... not even AP (but he's on my FF team just in case :/)

Rastak
09-06-2008, 06:17 PM

It'll be interesting to see how the Fudgies play the Queens. Teams at the end of last year stuffed 8 or 9 in the box. So if that is the case, the weakness is obviously the Fudgies bump and run. If Jackson isn;t a statue then the Queens should be able to hit a couple big plays which has to loosen things up. That's the key. The Fudgies have great hitting safeties but I don't trust their coverage skills. If the Queens "bust" Shiancoe looks like he's looked thus far this year, he might make a little noise, because of the run first plays on defense.

If the Fudgies play it straight up, then the Queens need to be able to run straight at the left side of the field. Screens and traps, get AD the ball early and often.

boiga
09-06-2008, 09:41 PM
I don't expect the Vike receivers to have a big game on monday. Bernard Berrian has been owned consistently by Al Harris (27 yrds total in 2007) and they don't have much depth in that position (fergy?)

So, we'll keep 8 or 9 in the box, force you guys into max protect with a couple of stunts and try and make Tarvaris beat us. The only way I see the vikings having a big passing game is through the TE, but I don't even know who their TE is. Is he any good?

Rastak
09-07-2008, 05:54 AM
I don't expect the Vike receivers to have a big game on monday. Bernard Berrian has been owned consistently by Al Harris (27 yrds total in 2007) and they don't have much depth in that position (fergy?)

So, we'll keep 8 or 9 in the box, force you guys into max protect with a couple of stunts and try and make Tarvaris beat us. The only way I see the vikings having a big passing game is through the TE, but I don't even know who their TE is. Is he any good?

As far as TE's:
He's been somewhat of a bust since they signed him. He had a couple nice catches in the preseason and had a couple last year but has been largly disappointing. That's Shiancoe. They also have a guy Garret Mills who looks promising but hasn't played much. Kleinssaser is a great blocker, almost like another tsckle and can catch some but they rarely throw it his way. He's just a big dude.

At reciever they have more depth than you might think. Ferguson is #4 from what I see. Bobby Wade plays the slot just fine and Rice is a solid #2. Allison showed flashes last year, after getting dinged up early and has looked good this summer. They are going to be MUCH better at reciever this year. Last year was pretty bad.

Lastly, Jackson is the x-factor. I believe he had a 127 QB rating this preseason but with limited reps because of Ray Lewis trying to twist his knee off. It actually looked like a wresling move. If Jackson is a statue back there I like Green Bay's chances Monday. Kampman vs Cook and if healthy KGB on third downs against Hicks may go the Packers way.

I like the Vikings DL vs the Packers OL, despite Green Bay's nice numbers last year for their OL. If the Vikings get pressure from their front 4 and throw in plenty of stunts and blitzes to rattle Rodgers they also have a good chance.

All in all, I see this as a close one, these teams aren't too far apart and it should be a lower scoring game I'm guessing.

Carolina_Packer
09-07-2008, 09:58 AM
I don't know schemes well at all, admitedly, but I would think that if our O-line is facing a strong pass rush, then multi-step drops would be somewhat out of the question. Our WR's are good at getting separation and YAC, so common sense to me would say, do quick hitting plays and let the receivers gain the extra yardage, which means the pass protection won't have to last as long and Rodgers doesn't hold the ball long enough to be sacked. They almost have to run, even modestly to keep them honest, and you saw last year they came up with a few good wrinkles, even against the vaunted run stopping D of the Vikes last year. That TD run by Grant was a thing of beauty when you saw it broken down after the fact. They also have to have somewhat of a successful run game to eat clock and tire the Minnesota defense more.

As for D, I saw McCarthy say the other day, the key is gap discipline and no peeking into gaps. If they can stay disciplined in gaps, then they can bottle the run game, much like they did when they whooped them last year. If not, Peterson will run wild. I would gladly trade sacks for pressures or penalties in the pass game. Sometimes when you sell out the rush, you can over persue and get caught dead and give up a medium to big play if you don't get to the passer or you don't collapse the pocket.

Scott Campbell
09-07-2008, 10:10 AM
I like the Vikings DL vs the Packers OL, .................

With the money and pics you guys gave up, you better like than line against any OL in the league. I like them so much I'm thinking of sitting Ryan Grant favor of Ray Rice.

The Gunshooter
09-07-2008, 11:19 AM
I can't believe Bob McGinn picks MN to win the division. Jared Allen will not make that much of a difference and GB loses nothing with Rodgers.

esoxx
09-07-2008, 01:34 PM
I disagree. Allen had 15.5 sacks last year and is a high motor guy. Playing in the dome he's going to have even more of an advantage getting off on the snap as opposed to the OT due to crowd noise.
That front four, including Ray Edwards, is very impressive and will be for real.
As far as weaknesses, Brad Childress and T. Jackson. Until they prove otherwise, they will be the ultimate undoing for the Vikes this season.

falco
09-07-2008, 01:46 PM
I disagree. Allen had 15.5 sacks last year and is a high motor guy. Playing in the dome he's going to have even more of an advantage getting off on the snap as opposed to the OT due to crowd noise.
That front four, including Ray Edwards, is very impressive and will be for real.
As far as weaknesses, Brad Childress and T. Jackson. Until they prove otherwise, they will be the ultimate undoing for the Vikes this season.

monday night will be very telling

The Gunshooter
09-07-2008, 11:55 PM

It's all hype to sell tickets. Clifton has 40lbs on the guy and throws him around like a rag doll. CHI scares me more than MN.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iuP8Ugrepo

BF4MVP
09-08-2008, 12:06 AM
No quarterback, only 1 decent receiver, no defensive backfield...

Stick extra guys in the box to stop AP and let Woodson and Harris do their jobs against the receivers..

On offense, I expect us to throw the ball quite a bit to take advantage of the terrible pass defense and limit the Williams "brothers'" mpact as much as possible..I expect The Queens to "make Aaron Rodgers beat them" and I think he's very capable of doing just that.

Clifton will have to play well against Allen, and Rodgers is going to have to make quick decisions and get the ball out quickly..

If the Packers can do these things (It's a tough task, so a big if), I expect a Green Bay victory, and I don't think it'll be that close, to be honest...(knocking on wood of course)