PDA

View Full Version : Packers sign Frost, Goode; release Ryan and Hodge

hawaii50
09-01-2008, 02:58 PM
From Packers.com:

The Green Bay Packers have signed punter Derrick Frost and long snapper Brett Goode and released punter Jon Ryan and linebacker Abdul Hodge. Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, announced the transactions Monday.

Frost, a fifth-year pro from Northern Iowa, spent the past three seasons with the Washington Redskins (2005-07) after beginning his NFL career with the Cleveland Browns (2004).

-

Goode originally signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars as a non-drafted free agent in April 2007 and participated in training camp before being released. He re-signed with the Jaguars in March 2008 before his release in June.

packers11
09-01-2008, 03:01 PM
:shock:

holy shit.

MJZiggy
09-01-2008, 03:03 PM
:shock: I say again, :shock: !!!!

mmmdk
09-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Sweet Zeus! :shock:

highlander
09-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Shocked !! I believe White is a more valuable player than Hodge . Hodge simply can not cover period!! But Ryan WOW!!!

Fosco33
09-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Quite a surprise!
Think of the combo -- a new punter and longsnapper. Wonder why?

hawaii50
09-01-2008, 03:11 PM
i was thinking/hoping they'd cut bush if there was anybody else added to the roster...hodge was a beast this preseason and earned a roster spot imo

packers11
09-01-2008, 03:13 PM
i was thinking/hoping they'd cut bush if there was anybody else added to the roster...hodge was a beast this preseason and earned a roster spot imo

agree 110%...

or even get rid of Chillar. Hes awful.

Chevelle2
09-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Frosts wife is a MILF

http://www.studio306.com/weblog/photos/frost02.jpg

gex
09-01-2008, 03:16 PM

Agree also, I thought Hodge played well enough to at least get something in a trade. What the hell did Ryan do wrong.
Shocker :shock:

HarveyWallbangers
09-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Quite a surprise!

And holder.

Partial
09-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Wow... shocking!!!!

Joemailman
09-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Ryan's not a shocker to me. He's been very inconsistent, especially with his hang time. I know MM was pretty unhappy with him after the first preseason game. Frost should feel comfortable on the frozen tundra.

MJZiggy
09-01-2008, 03:19 PM
So much for Ryan's MVP award...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZjp24g3DaY

CaliforniaCheez
09-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Quite a surprise!

It will make every field goal more exciting.

mmmdk
09-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Frost should feel comfortable on the frozen tundra.

...hahaha, so now you're a comedian!? :lol: Frost!!! What a name! :P

falco
09-01-2008, 03:26 PM
oh no, everyone look out for woody, he's gonna be on the warpath

MJZiggy
09-01-2008, 03:28 PM
After he recovers from the concussion he gets from passing out cold and hitting his head.

BallHawk
09-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Quite a surprise!

And holder.

Probably that Ruvell Martin guy....

BallHawk
09-01-2008, 03:30 PM
I'm cool with this move from a talent standpoint, Jon was inconsistent in his punting and getting the ball out quickly. However, he was a great personality and a good guy to have in the locker room.

I wish Jon the best of luck in the future.

CaliforniaCheez
09-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Crosby must be feeling real comfortable right now.

MJZiggy
09-01-2008, 03:31 PM
I wonder how long before someone picks him up...

TheCheese
09-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Wow this is a bit of a surprise. I guess they really didn't like Ryan very much, even though his last 3 games were pretty decent. I know nothing of Frost but he better be at least a notable upgrade from Ryan otherwise this move looks foolish.

And I agree with the rest of you on the Hodge thing, I thought he played his way onto the roster with his improved preseason play. Both these moves are very baffling.

Brohm
09-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Can't wait for the press conf. on this one....

pbmax
09-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Frost was the holder for the Redskins all last year according to nfl.com, so at least he's experienced. If Ryan Longwell was still the kicker for the Packers we would need to give him a sedative about now. :lol:

Clearly you needed to play at least two positions at LB for the Packers and they must have liked Bishop and White's ST play better. Just a MLB wasn't going to cut it for them. Hope it works. Odd choice, though, did Bishop or White spend any time at MLB?

Zool
09-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Was either QB sighted holding in the PS?

red
09-01-2008, 03:47 PM
jesus christ

i saw hodge as our 4th best lb. easily

i'm not happy with the move right now

Rastak
09-01-2008, 03:51 PM
PFT.com's take on the Ryan move.....

PACKER BOOT RYAN
Posted by Mike Florio on September 1, 2008, 4:16 p.m.
The Green Bay Packers have announced that they’ve parted ways with punter Jon Ryan.

Ryan joined the team as an undrafted free agent in 2006. He went to college in Canada.

He generated an average of 44.5 yard per punt in two NFL seasons. His net average is 37.0.

Replacing Ryan is Derrick Frost, who spent the last three seasons with the Redskins. Before that, he punted for the Browns.

His career average is 41.1 yards, and his net and 36.4.

But Frost has done a better job of pinning opponents’ inside the 20 than Ryan. Over the last two years, Frost has done it 50 times in 156 punts. Ryan did it only 35 times in 135 punts.

Rastak
09-01-2008, 03:53 PM
jesus christ

i saw hodge as our 4th best lb. easily

i'm not happy with the move right now

I'm pretty surprised myself. Hodge looked really good this preseason.

I would guess he gets on a 53 man roster this week.

vince
09-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Very surprising moves. Good luck to Abdul Hodge. I gotta believe he'll catch on somewhere else.

The Ryan move is obviously a conspiracy byThompson to piss off Woody even more than he already is.

GBRulz
09-01-2008, 04:00 PM
wow!!! I knew Ryan had an awful 1st game but I thought he did much better as the PS went on. I don't agree with either of these two moves, but we'll just have to see....

I have the PC on now...there are like 5 whole people in the room. Was supposed to start at 3:50...

GBRulz
09-01-2008, 04:20 PM
PC starting now.... Thompson seems out of breath?

sepporepi
09-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Hmm, was what that :roll:

He spoke for 1 minute, maybe two :lol:

Pacopete4
09-01-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm real happy Ryan is gone.. he has a bomb for a leg but he has no touch nor accuracy... I feel its more important to lose a couple yards per punt if the guy we have is putting them inside the 20 yard line and angling his kicks

the only part I'm a little upset is with Hodge. The guy finally gets healthy and looks great and we dont give him a shot?... I just don't like this move but who knows, I guess...

vince
09-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Thompson said consistency was the decision factor for Ryan.

I would have liked to hear more about the decision to cut Hodge... Not many questions in that area.

BallHawk
09-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Ruvell has been the #2 holder all preseason. I expect he'll be the holder, at least to start the year.

Pacopete4
09-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Ruvell has been the #2 holder all preseason. I expect he'll be the holder, at least to start the year.

good... just another chance for that talent to get on the field

SkinBasket
09-01-2008, 04:32 PM
I would have liked to hear more about the decision to cut Hodge... Not many questions in that area.

Actually there were 2+ years worth of questions about Hodge, in particular his knees, and only a couple months worth of answers. I'm guessing GB is not convinced that those knees aren't going to be a persistent problem the rest of Hodge's life, much less his football career.

highlander
09-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Hodge is over rated he makes great plays against the run and is absoletely terrible against the pass. Bishop and White are better overall LB's than Hodge.

Ryan I loved and shoked by this cut. He is inconsistent and sometimes down right bad but he has athelitc ability.

I will also add that good teams make tough cuts.

vince
09-01-2008, 04:39 PM

Actually there were 2+ years worth of questions about Hodge, in particular his knees, and only a couple months worth of answers. I'm guessing GB is not convinced that those knees aren't going to be a persistent problem the rest of Hodge's life, much less his football career.
Any of us can guess and/or give a fan-off-the-street level analysis about his speed from sideline to sideline and coverage skills. I was interested in hearing what Thompson's thinking was on the subject about Hodge v White v Bush v Peprah, etc., but he wasn't questioned on it.

motife
09-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Frost apparently has great hang time. And his "inside 20" numbers have always been in the md 20's. Ryan had yet to break 20. Frost's fair catch numbers were also good.

Pacopete4
09-01-2008, 04:52 PM
plus Frost is a sweet name playing with the Packers

Guiness
09-01-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm shocked that Ryan is gone - especially the way they did it. There wasn't even anyone else in camp after that UFA was cut. Then they ditch Ryan, and sign Frost sight unseen? Maybe not unseen, but w/o working him out.

I wonder if Ryan saw this coming at all? He must've felt pretty comfortable with no one else in camp!!!

Pacopete4
09-01-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm shocked that Ryan is gone - especially the way they did it. There wasn't even anyone else in camp after that UFA was cut. Then they ditch Ryan, and sign Frost sight unseen? Maybe not unseen, but w/o working him out.

I wonder if Ryan saw this coming at all? He must've felt pretty comfortable with no one else in camp!!!

Its apart of the business.. if you don't secure your job, this is what happens

Chevelle2
09-01-2008, 04:57 PM
What # will Frost wear?

Pacopete4
09-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Frost- #6

Chevelle2
09-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Frost- #6

LOL at his picture

http://www.packers.com/team/players/frost_derrick/

SkinBasket
09-01-2008, 05:15 PM

Any of us can guess and/or give a fan-off-the-street level analysis about his speed from sideline to sideline and coverage skills. I was interested in hearing what Thompson's thinking was on the subject about Hodge v White v Bush v Peprah, etc., but he wasn't questioned on it.

I didn't say anything about his "skills." I'm coming purely from an injury history perspective. No matter how good might be at some point, those knees are always going to be a question mark at best, and a liability at worst, even if he can continue to play.

motife
09-01-2008, 05:20 PM
wow. a UNI grad. That's almost as good as U of Saskatchewan.

Pacopete4
09-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Frost- #6

LOL at his picture

he's got the something about mary hair gel or something going on there haha

sheepshead
09-01-2008, 05:23 PM
I'm cool with this move from a talent standpoint, Jon was inconsistent in his punting and getting the ball out quickly. However, he was a great personality and a good guy to have in the locker room.

How do you know that? I guess you must know him you call him
"Jon", you guys tight or what?

sheepshead
09-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Frost- #6

LOL at his picture

he's got the something about mary hair gel or something going on there haha

http://content.ll-0.com/bernardihonda/word_images/6075501_image002.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2008, 06:48 PM
From Packers.com:

The Green Bay Packers have signed punter Derrick Frost and long snapper Brett Goode and released punter Jon Ryan and linebacker Abdul Hodge. Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, announced the transactions Monday.

i don't think TT knows what the hell he is doing. and no smiley face because i'm not sure if i know if i am kidding.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Frost apparently has great hang time. And his "inside 20" numbers have always been in the md 20's. Ryan had yet to break 20. Frost's fair catch numbers were also good.

maybe the finesse punting is where Ryan was weak. still odd.

BallHawk
09-01-2008, 07:28 PM

How do you know that? I guess you must know him you call him
"Jon", you guys tight or what?

Yeah, Sheldon-Williams class of 2000. Go Spartans!

Deputy Nutz
09-01-2008, 08:04 PM
I personally don't like cutting Hodge. He had a really good camp, and he was just getting back to playing football healthy. He was a tackling machine in college, and sure he wasn't a coverage linebacker, but he could tackle and play well between the tackles. I guess the move came down to special teams. Bishop and White are better ST players than Hodge, more speed.

Hodge wasn't going to be starter in Green Bay, hopefully he proves his knees are healthy and he can catch on and start for another team. He has talent.

Scott Campbell
09-01-2008, 08:21 PM
The Ryan move is obviously a conspiracy by Thompson to piss off Woody even more than he already is.

Atta boy Ted!

:lol:

texaspackerbacker
09-01-2008, 08:26 PM
I personally don't like cutting Hodge. He had a really good camp, and he was just getting back to playing football healthy. He was a tackling machine in college, and sure he wasn't a coverage linebacker, but he could tackle and play well between the tackles. I guess the move came down to special teams. Bishop and White are better ST players than Hodge, more speed.

Hodge wasn't going to be starter in Green Bay, hopefully he proves his knees are healthy and he can catch on and start for another team. He has talent.

Hodge kinda reminds me of a fat girl who slims down to catch a man and get married. You just know the old problems will creep back.

Probably a good move--although I think I woulda cut White.

The Leaper
09-01-2008, 08:31 PM
IMO, you keep Chillar over Hodge...which was really the decision to be made. Chillar has more experience and is more versatile.

White is a special team beast...no reason to cut him loose.

Ryan...meh. Never loved him...but interesting that they didn't bring in competition, then dumped him for another guy sight unseen.

boiga
09-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Aw, man...

I liked Jon Ryan. He always got tremendous hangtime and distance, but I understand the decision. He did have a tendency to shank if he was was trying to fit it in a corner. It's a shame though, considering that he was the best 4th down runner on our team.

Hodge actually makes sense to me. My take is that they tried to trade him but couldn't find any takers. Is it possible that they are trying to be cute about landing him on the PS?

HarveyWallbangers
09-01-2008, 09:24 PM
I'm actually kind of sad that Ryan was let go. His story (the red-headed punter from Canada with a lisp, Dad was a huge Packer fan that died of cancer, etc.) was so astounding. The huge leg and the broken tackles. Man, I didn't think he was that bad and his holding was good. Don't understand this move. It's not like this other guy will likely do better.

Bretsky
09-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Quite a surprise!

And holder.

Probably that Ruvell Martin guy....

When a key time comes in the playoffs he'll drop the ball again

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

MJZiggy
09-01-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm actually kind of sad that Ryan was let go. His story (the red-headed punter from Canada with a lisp, Dad was a huge Packer fan that died of cancer, etc.) was so astounding. The huge leg and the broken tackles. Man, I didn't think he was that bad and his holding was good. Don't understand this move. It's not like this other guy will likely do better.

*sigh* I know what you mean, Harv...

pbmax
09-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Ryan did seem like a good guy and was fearless when running. That's not good criteria to judge a punter but it was sure fun to watch. I will miss that. I will not miss line drives and 53 yd punts rolling into the endzone.

But sorry Ballhawk, unless Frost develops the yips, I bet he is the new holder and not Ruvell. He did it for the Redskins and T2 mentioned it in the press conference.

boiga
09-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Frost said that he's going to be holding in his interview. He seems like a decent guy, but not quite the personality Ryan was. Crosby seemed a little shaken up that Ryan was booted too.

I think we'll be fine though. This guy is apparently more consistent with more touch than Jon had. Unfortunately, he does not seem to be a candidate for MVP though.

Zool
09-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Just a point of emphasis here, its a punter. Think back to the Bears game.

Partial
09-01-2008, 11:38 PM

Think back to the Eagles game too. He had some great punts and probably won a game with getting just the right amount of hang time to NOT have a fair catch called and let White pop a fumble out.

Tarlam!
09-02-2008, 01:47 AM
If they were going to cut Ryan, why didn't they keep that rookie from Green Bay that was supposedly so spectacular?

I am PISSED that Hodge is gone - I really loved him. He was a hitter!!

pack4to84
09-02-2008, 05:02 AM
With Ryan, the Packers had a guy with a booming leg who was still learning the art of punting and sometimes took too long to get the ball off or couldn’t control where the ball was going. Frost doesn’t have the same leg strength, but he can kick directionally — aiming toward either sideline — and has landed an impressive 97 punts inside the opponent’s 20-yard line over the past four years.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=789667
Being able to kick directionally is and asset. With D.Hester in your division. The Packers would like to pin him to one side (if we have too punt) also to be able to coffin corner kicks, which I know Ryan couldn't do.

Fritz
09-02-2008, 06:40 AM
I don't like either move. Ryan's still young and now is learning his craft. He'll only get better. Hodge is an NFL middle linebacker. Jarrett Bush could have been cut and no one would have even noticed, except the receivers who wouldn't find themselves so open in practice.

Me no like.

sheepshead
09-02-2008, 07:59 AM

Excellent point!

Harlan Huckleby
09-02-2008, 01:54 PM
I don't like either move. Ryan's still young and now is learning his craft. He'll only get better. Hodge is an NFL middle linebacker. Jarrett Bush could have been cut and no one would have even noticed, except the receivers who wouldn't find themselves so open in practice.

i agree. Hodge is obviously a numbers cut, too many lbs, not enough dbs. He'll make an nfL team. I really don't like the cut of Ryan, seems like you can teach punt placement but can't teach a big leg.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-02-2008, 05:01 PM
If they were going to cut Ryan, why didn't they keep that rookie from Green Bay that was supposedly so spectacular?

I am PISSED that Hodge is gone - I really loved him. He was a hitter!!

Because Ken Debauche sucked...he wasn't spectacular.

Hodge: A dime a dozen.

superfan
09-02-2008, 06:35 PM

Agreed. Plus, we cut our leading rusher from the last preseason game. :)

Fosco33
09-02-2008, 07:59 PM
A buddy of mine played for UNI and got a txt on sunday night from Frost saying he was getting signed by GB. Wonder if punter's get tickets and if he can get me some?

Merlin
09-03-2008, 11:20 AM

I agree, the move is kind of a shock. He was inconsistent but getting better and he punted pretty good in the final 3 pre-season games. I will miss the guys pipes, his speed, and his reckless abandon attitude when making a tackle. He is a true football player. I don't know anything about Frost accept he looks like a the cali surfer type. Other then that, never heard of him.