PDA

View Full Version : FLYNN WINS! The # 2 QB job that is.

gbpackfan
09-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Sorry if this has been covered already.

But the new depth chart is out.

Flynn is the #2 QB. He beat out Brohm.

Here is the depth chart.

http://www.packers.com/team/depth_chart/

Rastak
09-01-2008, 04:15 PM

Here is the depth chart.

Not a surprise, I saw the NFLN replays of the Packer games and Brohm looked like Booty (your favorite name!), which was BAD.

It seems to me, and it's just my opinion, that TT is really rolling the dice here. What I refer to is no veteran backup. Everybody but Tex has to have some reservations about this. Perhaps the Packers figured (probably rightly) it was either roll the dice or waste a spot for a 4th QB.

gbpackfan
09-01-2008, 04:25 PM

Here is the depth chart.

Not a surprise, I saw the NFLN replays of the Packer games and Brohm looked like Booty (your favorite name!), which was BAD.

It seems to me, and it's just my opinion, that TT is really rolling the dice here. What I refer to is no veteran backup. Everybody but Tex has to have some reservations about this. Perhaps the Packers figured (probably rightly) it was either roll the dice or waste a spot for a 4th QB.

Ha ha. It's funny that you remember the whole Booty name thing. Good times! :P :wink:

motife
09-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Offense
Pos. First Team Second Team Third Team
WR 85 Greg Jennings 82 Ruvell Martin
LT 76 Chad Clifton 73 Daryn Colledge
LG 73 Daryn Colledge 78 Allen Barbre
C 63 Scott Wells 72 Jason Spitz
RG 72 Jason Spitz 71 Josh Sitton*
RT 65 Mark Tauscher 75 Tony Moll 68 Breno Giacomini*
TE 86 Donald Lee 84 Tory Humphrey 88 Jermichael Finley*
WR 80 Donald Driver 89 James Jones 87 Jordy Nelson*
QB 12 Aaron Rodgers 10 Matt Flynn* 11 Brian Brohm*
RB 25 Ryan Grant 32 Brandon Jackson 28 Kregg Lumpkin*
FB 35 Korey Hall 30 John Kuhn

Defense
LDE 74 Aaron Kampman 96 Michael Montgomery 99 Jeremy Thompson*
LDT 79 Ryan Pickett 90 Colin Cole
RDT 97 Johnny Jolly 77 Cullen Jenkins
RDE 77 Cullen Jenkins 94 Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila 57 Jason Hunter
SAM 51 Brady Poppinga 54 Brandon Chillar
MIKE 56 Nick Barnett 55 Desmond Bishop
WILL 50 A.J. Hawk 59 Tracy White
LCB 21 Charles Woodson 27 Will Blackmon 22 Pat Lee*
RCB 31 Al Harris 38 Tramon Williams 24 Jarrett Bush
SS 20 Atari Bigby 37 Aaron Rouse
FS 36 Nick Collins 26 Charlie Peprah

Special Teams
K 2 Mason Crosby
P 6 Derrick Frost
H 6 Derrick Frost 10 Matt Flynn* 82 Ruvell Martin
PR 27 Will Blackmon 38 Tramon Williams 87 Jordy Nelson*
21 Charles Woodson (4)
KR 27 Will Blackmon 87 Jordy Nelson* 38 Tramon Williams
22 Pat Lee* (4) 28 Kregg Lumpkin* (5)
PC 61 Brett Goode* 75 Tony Moll 97 Johnny Jolly
KC 61 Brett Goode* 75 Tony Moll 97 Johnny Jolly

texaspackerbacker
09-01-2008, 05:52 PM
I am indeed, very comfortable with Flynn as #2. He clearly outplayed Brohm, although I still see Brohm as being a quality future prospect, and if, heaven forbid, he ended up playing with the first string in a game, I think he'd suck it up and do all right.

Flynn, though, he looks like a finished product right now--as well he should be, having QBed his team in college to a national championship. Flynn may not have the potential of Rodgers or Brohm, but he's game ready now. McCarthy knows it; Thompson knows it; And I know it. And if some (all?) of the rest of you don't, well, wake up and get with the program.

I say again, WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING VET QB at the expense of losng Flynn or Brohm.

Rastak
09-01-2008, 05:55 PM
I am indeed, very comfortable with Flynn as #2. He clearly outplayed Brohm, although I still see Brohm as being a quality future prospect, and if, heaven forbid, he ended up playing with the first string in a game, I think he'd suck it up and do all right.

Flynn, though, he looks like a finished product right now--as well he should be, having QBed his team in college to a national championship. Flynn may not have the potential of Rodgers or Brohm, but he's game ready now. McCarthy knows it; Thompson knows it; And I know it. And if some (all?) of the rest of you don't, well, wake up and get with the program.

I say again, WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING VET QB at the expense of losng Flynn or Brohm.

Why wasn't he immediately installed as the #2 then at the start of camp? You always claim the Packers front office never makes mistakes and knows much more than everyone else? Hmmmm?

motife
09-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Mike Wahle is starting at RG for Seattle.

The Gunshooter
09-01-2008, 06:00 PM

Flynn is better than Doug Peterson.

Maxie the Taxi
09-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Not to toot my own horn, but was I not right about Flynn wayyyyy back on 5/1/08?

[I live in SEC country and I've got a sneaking hunch Matt Flynn will pleasantly surprise a whole lotta folks up north before the preseason is through.]

:D :D :D :D :D

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=12356&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

texaspackerbacker
09-01-2008, 06:16 PM

Why wasn't he immediately installed as the #2 then at the start of camp? You always claim the Packers front office never makes mistakes and knows much more than everyone else? Hmmmm?

Who ever said anything about not making mistakes? And hell yeah, they damn well better know more than the flunkies in this forum. Some of us are smart enough to recognize that.

If you draft a high potential second rounder and a more polished sixth (?) rounder? You obviously start out with the 2nd rounder ranked higher than the 6th rounder--DUH!

If the 6th rounder outplays the 2nd rounder, you go with what you see, and probably expected all along for the first year--also DUH.

Rastak
09-01-2008, 06:17 PM

Who ever said anything about not making mistakes?

If you draft a high potential second rounder and a more polished sixth (?) rounder? You obviously start out with the 2nd rounder ranked higher than the 6th rounder--DUH!

If the 6th rounder outplays the 2nd rounder, you go with what you see, and probably expected all along for the first year--also DUH.

LOL, okay, fair enough!

sheepshead
09-02-2008, 07:53 AM

I still ask, arent we just developing a QB for another team at some point? All three of these guys arent going to enjoy a long career in green and gold. I say cut our losses and sign a vet. We have a very good team that will need a QB every week.

Scott Campbell
09-02-2008, 07:58 AM
I still ask, arent we just developing a QB for another team at some point?

Maybe, maybe not. Rodgers isn't entrenched as our long term starter yet. Brohm and Flynn are plans B and C for now.

mraynrand
09-02-2008, 08:10 AM
This is a great story. And it validates the overall Thompson strategy yet again - Accumulate draft picks and draft for depth. Since only 30-40% of draft picks (regardless of round) end up contributing as starters, the best strategy is to have more players at each position competing for spots. The best (or better) man wins. Bravo, Ted.

MadtownPacker
09-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Obvious choice. I called it right after the bengals game.