PDA

View Full Version : A "What If" Scenario for starting QB

GBRulz
09-01-2008, 06:36 PM
So I'm bored and am just curious as to what others think about this.... Let's say we're 3-6, playing the Bears at home. We're down 27-17 late in the 4rd qtr. Rodgers gets hurt and Flynn comes in and leads us to a come from behind victory. Rodgers is out for the remainder of the season and Flynn leads us to a final 10-6 record, losing in the divisional round of the playoffs.

My question is... do you go into the following year with the starting QB job up for grabs or should Rodgers automatically get it again?

And if you have an open competition, do you let Brohm compete for it, too? I know there are only a limited amount of snaps to go around during camp, but I guess I'm high on Flynn and I think he's going to be a much better QB than Brohm. Just the Miss Cleo in me talking....

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2008, 06:39 PM
i just can't imagine Flynn being the backup. Can't wrap my head around that one.

MJZiggy
09-01-2008, 06:40 PM
I think if Flynn does that well, you at the very least have an open competition. It's not necessary to include Brohm unless he's shown something to make you believe he could handle the job.

cpk1994
09-01-2008, 06:41 PM
I am of the belief that no QB loses his job because of injury. Rodgers starts as #1 and Flynn must beat him out to get it.

Partial
09-01-2008, 06:42 PM
I would say you go with the hot hand. At that point, it seems to me that Aaron would have to earn the job back. Sure, you can't help injury, but you also cannot demote a guy who has stepped up and taken advantage of a bad situation.

Rastak
09-01-2008, 06:42 PM
I think if Flynn does that well, you at the very least have an open competition. It's not necessary to include Brohm unless he's shown something to make you believe he could handle the job.

Yup, I would agree although the contract stuff with Rodgers would be interesting.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2008, 06:44 PM
I am of the belief that no QB loses his job because of injury.

how about a temporary retirement? :twisted:

cpk1994
09-01-2008, 06:45 PM
I am of the belief that no QB loses his job because of injury.

how about a temporary retirement? :twisted:Very funny! :)

mission
09-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Trade him to the Jets and let him battle it out next season if Big B comes back ...

GBRulz
09-01-2008, 06:47 PM
I am of the belief that no QB loses his job because of injury. Rodgers starts as #1 and Flynn must beat him out to get it.

Sooo, THAT explains why you are so bitter towards Favre. You thought that the Majik Mullet Man should have gotten his job back!! :lol: :wink:

Back to the topic at hand... Rodgers didn't beat out anyone for the #1 spot. It was given to him. Ok, let me rephrase, he was groomed for it. But if you have Flynn outperforming him, don't you at least give them a chance to compete?

Pacopete4
09-01-2008, 07:11 PM
trade rodgers for some picks and then let flynn/brohm be your duo

Partial
09-01-2008, 07:27 PM

Nah. You resign Rodgers regardless. Can never have too many quarterbacks. But, you make it crystal clear whats his face has a shot at it.

Harlan Huckleby
09-01-2008, 07:32 PM

agreed. And while you're at it, unload Greg Jennings so Jordy Nelson can move up to the ladder. The backup LBs showed great potential, get something for AJ Hawk now.

Lurker64
09-01-2008, 07:34 PM

Until he shows me something and can do so consistently, I'm not comfortable with Brohm being anywhere in the top 2 QBs on this team.

Pacopete4
09-01-2008, 07:50 PM

agreed. And while you're at it, unload Greg Jennings so Jordy Nelson can move up to the ladder. The backup LBs showed great potential, get something for AJ Hawk now.

If we had a losing record and we entered a 7th round pick that led us to 10-6 and still had another 2nd rounder to groom incase that was a fluke.. ur telling me we should resign a QB and give him a ton of money even if he didn't prove anything?... I dont understand that logic

Deputy Nutz
09-01-2008, 08:05 PM

I will change it.

This is sports. I learned at a young age in little league baseball that if you get a hurt you open up your position to others that are looking for their shot. Our catcher got injured, and I got in the game, I went on a tear and never looked back. he learned how to play right field.

Favre was paranoid as hell about losing his job to injury, He did not like sitting on the bench for any reason, whether the Packers were getting blown out or up big, he always seemed to trot out in the fourth quarter while a bunch of people on the daily game threads would demand that he be taken out of the game.

You don't play 250+ games in a row with just being lucky, it takes a great deal of paranoia, stubbornness, and will.

Injury was how Brett got his job he sure didn't want to hand his job over the same way.

Deputy Nutz
09-01-2008, 08:07 PM

Sooo, THAT explains why you are so bitter towards Favre. You thought that the Majik Mullet Man should have gotten his job back!! :lol: :wink:

Back to the topic at hand... Rodgers didn't beat out anyone for the #1 spot. It was given to him. Ok, let me rephrase, he was groomed for it. But if you have Flynn outperforming him, don't you at least give them a chance to compete?

Damn, beat me to it. I just could resist posting so I didn't bother scrolling.

Your post was better anyways.

texaspackerbacker
09-01-2008, 08:31 PM
The most set up for success job in the NFL is being Packer QB.

With this young team, I'm sure that will be even more true next year than this year.

I don't know the answer to the hypothetical--just that there is NO WRONG ANSWER! Whoever QBs the Pack will be a success.

Zool
09-01-2008, 10:54 PM
If the guy leads the team to 7 straight W's he's the favorite going into the 09 season without a doubt. Nothing is gifted in the NFL though.

Plus if that happens, Flynn will hold out of TC looking for a check.

bobblehead
09-01-2008, 10:58 PM
So I'm bored and am just curious as to what others think about this.... Let's say we're 3-6, playing the Bears at home. We're down 27-17 late in the 4rd qtr. Rodgers gets hurt and Flynn comes in and leads us to a come from behind victory. Rodgers is out for the remainder of the season and Flynn leads us to a final 10-6 record, losing in the divisional round of the playoffs.

My question is... do you go into the following year with the starting QB job up for grabs or should Rodgers automatically get it again?

And if you have an open competition, do you let Brohm compete for it, too? I know there are only a limited amount of snaps to go around during camp, but I guess I'm high on Flynn and I think he's going to be a much better QB than Brohm. Just the Miss Cleo in me talking....

IN this extremely unlikely scenario flynn is the new starter and would have to lose the job back.

GrnBay007
09-01-2008, 11:02 PM

Until he shows me something and can do so consistently, I'm not comfortable with Brohm being anywhere in the top 2 QBs on this team.

According to this, you might not be comfortable with Rodgers. :shock:

bobblehead
09-01-2008, 11:02 PM

You and I have no idea if rodgers beat out favre for the starting job....MM and TT sure seemed content to trade favre. Its just as likely rodgers beat him out in their minds and they figured the only way they could start him over the legend was to move him out of town. And before anyone gets upset, I am simply responding to your post, I really have no desire to drudge up anymore favre v. TT/MM crap. You did that with the jab about rodgers not beating anyone out. People really gotta let all this go and simply stick to the topic at hand....you asked a question about rodgers and flynn, no need to take the other shot.

HarveyWallbangers
09-02-2008, 12:06 AM
According to this, you might not be comfortable with Rodgers. :shock:

Come on now. You are one of the instigators.
:D

Rodgers had success in his only meaningful regular season playing time (105 passer rating vs. Dallas). He also had a 103 passer rating in the 2008 preseason, a 98 passer rating in the 2007 preseason, and a 101 passer rating in the 2006 preseason. That doesn't mean he'll be good, but was the cheap shot necessary? You know exactly what Lurker was talking about. Brohm had a 45 passer rating this preseason.

LEWCWA
09-02-2008, 12:35 AM

Funny you think this way......

sepporepi
09-02-2008, 04:46 AM

Funny you think this way......

Yeah, I would they injury is the main reason NFL QBs lose their starting jobs.

Scott Campbell
09-02-2008, 07:56 AM

So Flynn closed out the season with a 7-0 record as a starter? Wow. I assumed he played really well too?

You start the player that gives you the best chance to win. If the staff sees enough in Flynn to know he's better, then he's your starter.

cpk1994
09-02-2008, 07:56 AM

I will change it.

This is sports. I learned at a young age in little league baseball that if you get a hurt you open up your position to others that are looking for their shot. Our catcher got injured, and I got in the game, I went on a tear and never looked back. he learned how to play right field.

Favre was paranoid as hell about losing his job to injury, He did not like sitting on the bench for any reason, whether the Packers were getting blown out or up big, he always seemed to trot out in the fourth quarter while a bunch of people on the daily game threads would demand that he be taken out of the game.

You don't play 250+ games in a row with just being lucky, it takes a great deal of paranoia, stubbornness, and will.

Injury was how Brett got his job he sure didn't want to hand his job over the same way.Well, you fail. I don't care if Brett was paranoid, and I don't care how many consecutive games he played. A player should not lose his job becuase of injury. SHould their be competition in that case, asbsolutely. But the QB who was injured still starts out #1. Try again.

GrnBay007
09-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Harv, it wasn't meant to be a cheap shot or instigate anything. The reality is (and it's not his fault) is that we haven't seen much yet and/or if it's done consistently. Don't worry, I'm not anti-Rodgers, it's just the reality of it at this point and time.

mraynrand
09-02-2008, 08:18 AM

I will change it.

Injury was how Brett got his job he sure didn't want to hand his job over the same way.Well, you fail. I don't care if Brett was paranoid, and I don't care how many consecutive games he played. A player should not lose his job becuase of injury. SHould their be competition in that case, asbsolutely. But the QB who was injured still starts out #1. Try again.

I disagree with you. Experience and history disagrees with you as well. Coaches almost never will re-insert a player who returns from injury if the next guy is clearly outplaying him. And why would anyone? Would you? IF Rodgers got hurt and Flynn came in and played lights out better than Rodgers, why would McCarthy put Rodgers back in? Injury changes the whole dynamic of how a starter is chosen. Coaches will always choose based on who they think gives them the best chance to win.

cpk1994
09-02-2008, 10:58 AM

I will change it.

I disagree with you. Experience and history disagrees with you as well. Coaches almost never will re-insert a player who returns from injury if the next guy is clearly outplaying him. And why would anyone? Would you? IF Rodgers got hurt and Flynn came in and played lights out better than Rodgers, why would McCarthy put Rodgers back in? Injury changes the whole dynamic of how a starter is chosen. Coaches will always choose based on who they think gives them the best chance to win.In training camp the following year if he didn't return, absolutely. If ARod was ready to go at the end of that season that Flynn played well, no. There would be competition but ARod would be my #1 to start. I don't believe a player should lose his job becuase of injury.

AtlPackFan
09-02-2008, 11:02 AM
You are bored, aren't you.

Late reply...again. My belief is you go in with Flynn as your #1.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but does this hypothetical remind anyone of Brady/Bledsoe???

mraynrand
09-02-2008, 11:03 AM
In training camp the following year if he didn't return, absolutely. If ARod was ready to go at the end of that season that Flynn played well, no. There would be competition but ARod would be my #1 to start. I don't believe a player should lose his job becuase of injury.

Let me propose a scenario to see if I understand you correctly. Let's say Rodgers plays like crap for two games and gets injured going out 0-2 as a starter, but recovers and is able to return week 15. Under Flynn, the Packers go 10-2, and Flynn plays outstanding football. Are you saying that you would turn the starting job back over to Rodgers in week 15?

KYPack
09-02-2008, 11:18 AM
You are bored, aren't you.

Late reply...again. My belief is you go in with Flynn as your #1.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but does this hypothetical remind anyone of Brady/Bledsoe???

That's what I was thinking.

GBM, if you are gonna have a dream/fantasy, have Flynn lead us to the Lombardi trophy, not just a 10-6.

Were you hittin the shots this Labor Day weekend? I know I was.

cpk1994
09-02-2008, 11:26 AM
In training camp the following year if he didn't return, absolutely. If ARod was ready to go at the end of that season that Flynn played well, no. There would be competition but ARod would be my #1 to start. I don't believe a player should lose his job becuase of injury.

Let me propose a scenario to see if I understand you correctly. Let's say Rodgers plays like crap for two games and gets injured going out 0-2 as a starter, but recovers and is able to return week 15. Under Flynn, the Packers go 10-2, and Flynn plays outstanding football. Are you saying that you would turn the starting job back over to Rodgers in week 15?In that case I would stick with Flynn as to not mess with chemistry. If ARod doesn't return. ARod is #1 come training camp. In either case their is a competition in training camp but ARod starts as #1 splitting snaps in camp equally with Flynn.

Pacopete4
09-02-2008, 11:44 AM

Let me propose a scenario to see if I understand you correctly. Let's say Rodgers plays like crap for two games and gets injured going out 0-2 as a starter, but recovers and is able to return week 15. Under Flynn, the Packers go 10-2, and Flynn plays outstanding football. Are you saying that you would turn the starting job back over to Rodgers in week 15?In that case I would stick with Flynn as to not mess with chemistry. If ARod doesn't return. ARod is #1 come training camp. In either case their is a competition in training camp but ARod starts as #1 splitting snaps in camp equally with Flynn.

But why do that when Arod on his last year of a contract and we have a guy that proved he can play with Flynn and we'd still have Brohm as a backup and a guy that can be groomed if Flynn was a fluke.. why pay money to Rodgers if he didn't prove anything? Thats why only problem in the "what if" scenario

cpk1994
09-02-2008, 11:51 AM

But why do that when Arod on his last year of a contract and we have a guy that proved he can play with Flynn and we'd still have Brohm as a backup and a guy that can be groomed if Flynn was a fluke.. why pay money to Rodgers if he didn't prove anything? Thats why only problem in the "what if" scenarioBecuase if ARod goes through traing camp, beats Flynn and then has a great season, you still have Rodgers(if you can resign him) AND Flynn. You try to resign Rodgers at that point. OTOH, If Flynn is truely better at that point he will beat ARod out anyway. There is no harm in letting ARod be #1 on the depth chart, especially if he is equally sharing snaps with Flynn.

Pacopete4
09-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Wouldn't it be a setback in the progress of Flynn and Brohm? Flynn wouldn't be getting the reps he needed to become a better starting QB and Brohm wouldn't be getting as many developmental snaps.. I'd rather trade Rodgers while he has some value and get something for him while having 2 QBs on our roster that might be better than any other roster

cpk1994
09-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Wouldn't it be a setback in the progress of Flynn and Brohm? Flynn wouldn't be getting the reps he needed to become a better starting QB and Brohm wouldn't be getting as many developmental snaps.. I'd rather trade Rodgers while he has some value and get something for him while having 2 QBs on our roster that might be better than any other rosterNo he is getting equal snaps as Rodgers. I am not penalizing Rodgers for an injury. If Rodgers beats out Flynn, I trade Brohm. If Rodgers doesn't I let him walk at the end of the season. But I don't trade Rodgers because of injury.

Pacopete4
09-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Wouldn't it be a setback in the progress of Flynn and Brohm? Flynn wouldn't be getting the reps he needed to become a better starting QB and Brohm wouldn't be getting as many developmental snaps.. I'd rather trade Rodgers while he has some value and get something for him while having 2 QBs on our roster that might be better than any other rosterNo he is getting equal snaps as Rodgers. I am not penalizing Rodgers for an injury. If Rodgers beats out Flynn, I trade Brohm. If Rodgers doesn't I let him walk at the end of the season. But I don't trade Rodgers because of injury.

but the scenario had Rodgers stinking before he was hurt.. that was my thing for trading him because some other team may be in QB need and take a shot on the guy

cpk1994
09-02-2008, 01:02 PM

but the scenario had Rodgers stinking before he was hurt.. that was my thing for trading him because some other team may be in QB need and take a shot on the guybut the scenario was two games long for Rodgers. Under that I don't penalize Rodgers. I also protect myself in the event that Flynn flames out year 2.