PDA

View Full Version : Flacco to start/Ravens look at Harrington, Simms, Bouman

Zool
09-01-2008, 11:18 PM
The Baltimore Ravens will go with a rookie at quarterback in their opener on Sunday and due to injuries are still looking for depth at the position.

Joe Flacco, the 18th pick overall, will launch his NFL career against the Cincinnati Bengals. There is a chance the two other quarterbacks competing for the job, Troy Smith and Kyle Boller, both will not be available as backups.

"It wouldn't be realistic to have one of those two guys as a starter, for sure. If they can back up, I think that would be an upset," coach John Harbaugh said Monday.

Smith is still feeling the effects of infected tonsils and Boller has a sore shoulder that could ultimately require surgery. In an effort to add depth, the Ravens worked out quarterbacks Chris Simms, Joey Harrington and Todd Bouman on Monday.

"We need a backup quarterback for the game," Harbaugh said.

A source told ESPN on Monday that the Ravens had reached an agreement with Harrington and had chosen him because he had the most recent playing experience. Later in the day, the source said that an agreement was premature and while Harrington was still in the mix for a spot on the Ravens, he was also talking to other teams.

So for now, the focus is on Flacco, who was labeled the team's "quarterback of the future" by general manager Ozzie Newsome on draft day shortly after the Ravens traded up to get the former University of Delaware standout.

Well, the quarterback of the future is now the quarterback of the present.

"This is what I wanted all along," Flacco said. "Things happen funny. I've gotten my opportunity, and now it's up to me to go out there and play."

After two preseason games, Harbaugh essentially eliminated Flacco in what began as a three-way competition to be Baltimore's starting quarterback. The plan was to start Smith in the third game, against the St. Louis Rams, then take a look at Boller.

But neither Smith nor Boller was available to play against the Rams or the preseason finale against Atlanta. Flacco started both games and played well enough to maintain the role in the opener.

"If one of you guys wrote this in a movie script, no one would believe it," Harbaugh said.

Flacco went 35-for-67 for 284 yards and no interceptions during the preseason. His quarterback rating was better than that of Boller or Smith, and he threw Baltimore's lone touchdown pass.

Now, however, it's for real. If he plays well, Flacco might be able to keep the job. But that's not what motivates him.

"The thinking is to win some games. That's the first thing I'm thinking about and the only thing I'm thinking about," the 6-foot-6 rookie said.

The Ravens probably would have preferred to let the 23-year-old Flacco learn from the sideline before thrusting him into a game that counts. But the way the situation played out, that wasn't an option.

"To me, it doesn't even matter. Joe's our guy. We think he can win for us," Harbaugh said. "He had a heck of a practice, and we're excited to go out there and play with him."

Smith, meanwhile, was just glad to be back with his teammates. He may not be able to practice this week, but at least he can be surrounded by friends in the locker room.

"I'm not thinking about starting at all. My health comes first in any situation, and then my team comes," he said. "Just being back around the guys, laughing and joking and being a part of something special here, is what's most important."

Zool
09-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Its crazy to me that Rodgers is just 2 years older than this guy but is going into his 4th season in the NFL. He was so raw coming out that its surprising he got all the first pick in the draft buzz.

Hopefully Flacco flops and we have another Harrington sighting.

Lurker64
09-01-2008, 11:57 PM
Flacco's going to get killed...

Guiness
09-02-2008, 07:26 AM

Not by Cinncinati's DL he isn't!!! :wink:

Zool
09-02-2008, 08:55 AM

Not by Cinncinati's DL he isn't!!! :wink:

Unless you mean they are actually going to shoot or stab him after the game.

Zool
09-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Source: Ravens to sign QB Bouman to one-year deal

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3565073

Veteran Todd Bouman, one of three veterans to work out for the Ravens Tuesday, accepted a one-year offer to sign with the team, a source said.

AFC North blog

ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Bouman worked out Monday in Baltimore against Chris Simms and Joey Harrington. On Tuesday morning, he was offered a one-year deal at $830,000.

The 36-year-old Bouman will be joining his sixth team. He was an undrafted quarterback when he signed with the Vikings in 1997. He's been in Minnesota, New Orleans, Green Bay, Jacksonville and St. Louis.

The Ravens named Joe Flacco as the starting quarterback Monday but have injury concerns with Troy Smith and Kyle Boller. Smith has infected tonsils and Boller has a torn labrum in his shoulder and might need surgery.

"This is what I wanted all along," Flacco said Monday. "Things happen funny. I've gotten my opportunity, and now it's up to me to go out there and play."

After two preseason games, Harbaugh essentially eliminated Flacco in what began as a three-way competition to be Baltimore's starting quarterback. The plan was to start Smith in the third game, against the St. Louis Rams, then take a look at Boller.

But neither Smith nor Boller was available to play against the Rams or in the preseason finale against Atlanta. Flacco started both games and played well enough to maintain the role in the opener.

"If one of you guys wrote this in a movie script, no one would believe it," Harbaugh said.

Flacco went 35-for-67 for 284 yards and no interceptions during the preseason. His quarterback rating was better than that of Boller or Smith, and he threw Baltimore's lone touchdown pass.

oregonpackfan
09-02-2008, 02:37 PM
The odds of Joe Flacco doing well as a starting rookie QB are heavily stacked against him. It does not matter how successful he was as a college quarterback. Rookie quarterbacks who are expected to start and be successful are very few.

Guiness
09-03-2008, 01:48 AM
Source: Ravens to sign QB Bouman to one-year deal

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3565073

Veteran Todd Bouman, one of three veterans to work out for the Ravens Tuesday, accepted a one-year offer to sign with the team, a source said.

Nobody better tell Culpepper about this!

KYPack
09-03-2008, 07:47 AM
We signed Bouman in '06 when Rodgers went down. Anyone who remembers this is a real Packer Geek. '06 was kind of a lost year, I have no recollection of Todd Bouman.

mraynrand
09-03-2008, 11:42 AM
We signed Bouman in '06 when Rodgers went down. Anyone who remembers this is a real Packer Geek. '06 was kind of a lost year, I have no recollection of Todd Bouman.

Do you mean 2005? That was a rough year. I remember being happy that the Packers beat Seattle the final game then thinking: WTF, that sucked.