PDA

View Full Version : Supplemental Draft Prospect

Pack0514
06-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Anyone know anything about this guy? Does anyone actually think we would use a pick on the guy? A quick google found that the guy was in jail for theft. I didnt really see anything about him that was football related and was positive. Its probably nothing.

Packers | Team attends Berryman's Pro Day
Sun, 18 Jun 2006 20:33:26 -0700

John Murphy, of Yahoo Sports, reports Green Bay Packers director of college scouting John Dorsey, who conducted the workout, was among the NFL representatives at the Pro Day workout of DE/LB Jason Berryman (Iowa State) Tuesday, June 13. Berryman is eligible for the July 13 supplemental draft.

bigcoz75
06-19-2006, 12:57 PM
"Former Iowa State defensive end/linebacker Jason Berryman held his pro day at the school's campus last Tuesday in Ames, Iowa. He ran between 4.72 and 4.78 seconds in the 40 and also registered times of 4.48 in the short shuttle and 7.38 in the three-cone drills. Berryman also leaped 32 inches in the vertical jump and 9-11 in the broad jump and did 17 reps at 225 pounds. The 6-1, 235-pound Berryman did positional drills as a defensive end and outside linebacker, but most teams paid close attention to his footwork and backpedal during the linebacker drills. A number of teams were in attendance, including Green Bay Packers director of college scouting John Dorsey, who conducted the workout".

gureski
06-19-2006, 12:58 PM
The little bit I know came from the Miami Herald and I quote a piece of one of their articles:

"Berryman, who could play defensive end or linebacker in a 3-4 scheme, had 7 ½ sacks last season but was thrown off the team in January for allegedly frequenting a bar while under legal age. He had promised Iowa State he would behave after spending eight months in jail for robbing one student of a cellphone and stealing $4 from another in 2004.

''Pass-rushers are hard to find, and he could be a David Bowens situational guy,'' Murphy said, calling him a sixth- or seventh-rounder."

While looking up that article to post that for you I found this from NFL.com and Gil Brandt:

"Update on Berryman, 6/13
There were 17 teams at his workout, including John Dorsey (GB), Scott McCloughan (SF) and Kent McCloughan (Scott's father) from the Raiders. That's a large contingent. He worked out indoors on what was considered a slow track. Dorsey conducted the drills, which lasted 45 minutes, and Berryman did a good job.

LB Berryman (6-0¾, 235) was clocked at 4.67 in the 40 (1.61 after 10; 2.71 after 20), 4.39 in the short shuttle, and 7.33 in the three-cone drill. He also had a 9-foot-11 broad jump, a 32-inch vertical jump and 17 lifts. "

This is the link for the NFL.com article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9447397

I didn't leave the link to the Miami article as it wasn't about Berryman. They just mentioned Berryman in the article. That was dated May 28, 2006. The NFL piece was dated May 18, 2006.

Partial
06-19-2006, 01:27 PM
I believe in the weeks leading up to the draft CycloneFan was really hyping this guy up, claiming he was going to be a star. I'd take a chance on this guy with a later round pick if they feel he'll be able to add a little size and effectively get to the passer in certain situations.

Pack0514
06-19-2006, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the info guys..... hopefully if the Pack takes this guy they know what they are doing. I have confidence inTT.... at least when it comes to the draft. He hasnt really disappointed me yet.

woodbuck27
06-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the info guys..... hopefully if the Pack takes this guy they know what they are doing. I have confidence inTT.... at least when it comes to the draft. He hasnt really disappointed me yet.

He is a little light to play at DE.

packiowa
06-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Point of clarification:

Berryman was arrested on a felony and spent time in prison b/c he stole $4 and a cellphone from an ISU student after knocking him out. This thread doesn't do his character issues justice.

Now, he is a very good rush end. He was one of the best, most active DE's in college last year IMO. Character risks aside, I'd prefer him to Hali.

bigcoz75
06-19-2006, 03:11 PM
from NFL.com:
"Ahmad Hall, FB, Texas: Hall served in the Marines and wasn't eligible for the regular draft. He worked out at Texas' Pro Day on March 22 and was measured at 5-10¾, 232 pounds. He ran his 40s in 4.53 and 4.55 and also had a 35-inch vertical jump, 10-foot-9 long jump, 4.20 short shuttle, 7.21 three-cone drill and 24 bench presses."

This guy sounds more intriguing that Vonta Leach and hell he's a Marine.

Partial
06-19-2006, 03:36 PM
nah, measurables are overrated. Especially sprinting speed. Agility and footspeed is more important to me.

bigcoz75
06-19-2006, 05:09 PM
more info
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Apqt3HMbcRMYINJvziYJfalDubYF?slug=jm-supplemental061806&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Willard
06-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Point of clarification:

Berryman was arrested on a felony and spent time in prison b/c he stole $4 and a cellphone from an ISU student after knocking him out. This thread doesn't do his character issues justice.

Now, he is a very good rush end. He was one of the best, most active DE's in college last year IMO. Character risks aside, I'd prefer him to Hali.

This is why I rarely rob college students. They just never seem to have enough money to make it worthwhile.......

Harlan Huckleby
06-19-2006, 06:42 PM
"Berryman, who could play defensive end or linebacker in a 3-4 scheme,

The Packers need another tweener like a hole in the noggin.

woodbuck27
07-03-2006, 07:37 PM
There is a strong rumor out there now that the Packers are interested in going after LBer Ahmad Brooks. If he can put on more beef (muscle) he might make a solid contribution at DE.

He has a big upside but also comes with some garbage/risk and may not be of the best character.

People are saying he's worth about a 4th round pick.

4and12to12and4
07-03-2006, 09:10 PM
There is a strong rumor out there now that the Packers are interested in going after LBer Ahmad Brooks. If he can put on more beef (muscle) he might make a solid contribution at DE.

He has a big upside but also comes with some garbage/risk and may not be of the best character.

Do you think we would actually bring in ANOTHER linebacker at this stage with so many holes at other positions?

woodbuck27
07-04-2006, 07:41 AM

Do you think we would actually bring in ANOTHER linebacker at this stage with so many holes at other positions?

Actually I would be surprised based on the character risk that the Packers seriously bring in Brooks. I agree that we are looking OK at LBer.

The only thing I was thinking about was. If we took him, could he beef up and play DE effectively for us? Just thinking and tossing that idea out there.

I'm concluding in myself that in that regard, coupled with the character risk, I think it's better to wait till next April and see the whole field. Why risk waisting a fourth round draft pick before the play is acted out?

Bretsky
07-04-2006, 08:32 AM

Actually I would be surprised based on the character risk that the Packers seriously bring in Brooks. I agree that we are looking OK at LBer.

The only thing I was thinking about was. If we took him, could he beef up and play DE effectively for us? Just thinking and tossing that idea out there.

I'm concluding in myself that in that regard, coupled with the character risk, I think it's better to wait till next April and see the whole field. Why risk waisting a fourth round draft pick before the play is acted out?

Brooks was reportedly way out of shape a few months ago but has now shed several pounds and has been working on getting all of his speed back.

He's a LB in the NFL. He's a high risk character wise; talent wise he was thought of once as a High First Round Project.

I'd be very very surprised if somebody doesn't give up a 3rd round pick because this guy has far far more ability than any 3rd rounder you will find. If I was an established team I'd surely take a flyer.

Not sure he's a good fit in GB, but I'd have no problem if the Packers took him with #3 or lower.

RashanGary
07-04-2006, 01:18 PM
Marcus Vick, Maurice Clarette, Donnell Washington...

No thanks. It takes more than talent to succeed in just about anything in life. I'll just keep that 3rd rounder and add another guy like Hodge.

retailguy
07-04-2006, 02:02 PM

No thanks. It takes more than talent to succeed in just about anything in life. I'll just keep that 3rd rounder and add another guy like Hodge.

Nick, it is rare you and I are on the same side of the fence, but I completely agree. I know bretsky is still pissed about passing on thurman, but I'm glad we did, and I'll be glad when we pass on this loser.

Character issues can ruin football teams. Glad we don't have the chaos of Chris Henry, or Jonathon Sullivan, or TO right now. We've got enough problems without that.

and, yes, I believe the kid can play, and I still don't care.

Bretsky
07-04-2006, 02:04 PM

Nick, it is rare you and I are on the same side of the fence, but I completely agree. I know bretsky is still pissed about passing on thornton, but I'm glad we did, and I'll be glad when we pass on this loser.

Character issues can ruin football teams. Glad we don't have the chaos of Chris Henry, or Jonathon Sullivan, or TO right now. We've got enough problems without that.

and, yes, I believe the kid can play, and I still don't care.

Thurman, RG, Odell Thurman. Future Pro Bowl MLB and a Smash Mouth bad@ss football player like Wayne Simmons but better.

OR did you mean David Thornton ?

Cheers and Happy 4th !
Bretsky

retailguy
07-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Thurman, RG, Odell Thurman. Future Pro Bowl MLB and a Smash Mouth bad@ss football player like Wayne Simmons but better.

Cheers,
Bretsky

Thanks for that.... See, I can't even remember the guy.... I think it is a bit soon to annoint him in the HOF, I think it is just as likely he goes down on a felony rap... :wink: That smash mouth comment could have multiple meanings.

Hope you're having a good 4th!.

Bretsky
07-04-2006, 02:10 PM

Cheers,
Bretsky

Thanks for that.... See, I can't even remember the guy.... I think it is a bit soon to annoint him in the HOF, I think it is just as likely he goes down on a felony rap... :wink: That smash mouth comment could have multiple meanings.

Hope you're having a good 4th!.

Yup, took the kids to 4th of July Parade this morn and already hit the Fireworks Sunday. Looking like a Kid Night at Star Cinema watching "CARS" later. KIDS.......they sure have it made.

Hope you are having a Great 4th too.

B

retailguy
07-04-2006, 02:11 PM
Yup, took the kids to 4th of July Parade this morn and already hit the Fireworks Sunday. Looking like a Kid Night at Star Cinema watching "CARS" later. KIDS.......they sure have it made.

B

Fun. I get to be home, alone. My wife is putting on the local 4th celebration, and I just have to show up for the fireworks.... Lucky me, seriously. :lol:

Bretsky
07-04-2006, 02:13 PM

B

Fun. I get to be home, alone. My wife is putting on the local 4th celebration, and I just have to show up for the fireworks.... Lucky me, seriously. :lol:

Sounds like wedding planning...........we just have to show up. At ours I got to pick one thing out, and that was what song the wedding party would march in to. Of course I selected an upbeat sports song to get a rise out of those there.

B