PDA

View Full Version : Wells' back flares up again

oregonpackfan
09-02-2008, 02:34 PM
A recent report has Packers center Wells' back injury flaring up again. It is unknown if he will be ready for the season opener against the Vikings:

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/09/02/wells-suffers-setback.aspx

rpiotr01
09-02-2008, 02:37 PM
GPG is reporting that he's out for the game.

Colledge, Spitz, Moll

It'll be an interesting test for these three guys, especially Spitz.

Bossman641
09-02-2008, 02:41 PM
GPG is reporting that he's out for the game.

Colledge, Spitz, Moll

It'll be an interesting test for these three guys, especially Spitz.

That is not what I wanted to hear. We will know very shortly how much the interior of our OL has improved.

Zool
09-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Wasnt Moll on the fringe the first couple weeks of camp?

Bossman641
09-02-2008, 02:44 PM

Yea, he started out really poorly. Don't know if his comeback has been the result of him improving or just everyone else getting injured and him being the next best thing.

bobblehead
09-02-2008, 02:54 PM

Yea, he started out really poorly. Don't know if his comeback has been the result of him improving or just everyone else getting injured and him being the next best thing.

Based on reports he was rusty coming in after being hurt last year, but he really came on late.

WTF happened to babre anyway?

Noodle
09-02-2008, 02:56 PM
I think Wells is in for a long season.

Without knowing what exactly is bugging him, if it's anything like back/trunk problems I've seen, and experienced, in the past, he may be done for the season.

Remember Larry Bird having to lay on his back courtside? And he was just a basketball player, not a center having to fire out and engage with fat fucks on the DL.

Friggin' back/trunk problems are just a killer.

rpiotr01
09-02-2008, 02:56 PM

Back-up at LG, behind Colledge. He didn't make the jump that everyone and their sister thought he'd make.

Tony Oday
09-02-2008, 03:12 PM
we are in for a long day...

bobblehead
09-02-2008, 03:14 PM

Back-up at LG, behind Colledge. He didn't make the jump that everyone and their sister thought he'd make.

I guess I mean why. He was "competing" with college then disappeared, was he that bad?

Zool
09-02-2008, 03:26 PM

I guess I mean why. He was "competing" with college then disappeared, was he that bad?

Thats about the only explanation because Colledge hasnt been lights out or anything.

Harlan Huckleby
09-02-2008, 03:56 PM
I think it is a blessing in disguise. I suppose Scott Wells has a hard time seeing it this way.

It hurts the team to have a good player like Wells hurt, I don't mean to be dancing on his bed pan. I'm convinced the packers are a better team in the long run if they keep Spitz at center. Wells seems like a smart, aggressive player, does some things well, but he's too damn small. MAybe if they had big bruisers at the guards he would be a plus. I am satsified to see him return as backup center.

rpiotr01
09-02-2008, 04:27 PM
I think it is a blessing in disguise. I suppose Scott Wells has a hard time seeing it this way.

It hurts the team to have a good player like Wells hurt, I don't mean to be dancing on his bed pan. I'm convinced the packers are a better team in the long run if they keep Spitz at center. Wells seems like a smart, aggressive player, does some things well, but he's too damn small. MAybe if they had big bruisers at the guards he would be a plus. I am satsified to see him return as backup center.

He and Spitz are roughly the same size. I think it's arm length that's the main difference. Spitz I think can reach out and get his hands on those DTs better than Wells can.

I agree that I wanted to see Spitz make the move to center... but not with his first test being the Vikes, on MNF, with a QB making his first regular season start under center.

Pacopete4
09-02-2008, 04:30 PM
we are in for a long day...

I might have to agree here... that Dline that they have is awesome

bobblehead
09-02-2008, 09:23 PM

He and Spitz are roughly the same size. I think it's arm length that's the main difference. Spitz I think can reach out and get his hands on those DTs better than Wells can.

I agree that I wanted to see Spitz make the move to center... but not with his first test being the Vikes, on MNF, with a QB making his first regular season start under center.

I'm too lazy too look it up, but isn't wells like 6'2" and spitz is 6'5"?? I think wells was a greco roman wrestler which is why he was good at getting low and moving people around.

Zool
09-02-2008, 09:25 PM
per pro football reference, 6'2" and 6'4"

pbmax
09-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Barbre has only practiced at Left Guard and a couple of snaps at LT. His Wonderlic was near 10 so they are not in favor of bouncing him around. So he was never a candidate to back up Spitz on the right side. Moll did come on late in camp after a horrendous opening.

On Colledge vs. Barbre, I just don't know. He clearly did not outright beat him out of the position. And if its close, they may prefer the experience. Referring to the Denver game. M3 said not to read too much into Colledge getting the first go as he alternated with Barbre. But Barbre hasn't been in front of him since.

Based on reports he was rusty coming in after being hurt last year, but he really came on late.

ahaha
09-02-2008, 10:09 PM
What the hell happens if Spitz goes down?

Zool
09-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Thats a very good question. I would assume someone is giving snaps in practice this week?

ahaha
09-02-2008, 10:28 PM
JS says College is taking snaps in practice. Barbre would be LG.

KYPack
09-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Thats a very good question. I would assume someone is giving snaps in practice this week?

If Spitz goes down....

Moll is the back-up LS. He's also snapped at C in some practices. So it could be, Moll C, Barbre LG, Colledge RG.

That's just a guess, but they'd have to do something.

BTW, Johnny Jolly is the 3rd string LS on the depth charts. That's something I didn't know, I'll tell ya.

Packgator
09-03-2008, 12:12 AM
Colledge is taking reps at center and is next in line if Spitz is injured and can't go.

Guiness
09-03-2008, 01:29 AM
On Colledge vs. Barbre, I just don't know.

I know, I know!!! *waving hand in air* :jig:

He punched a coach in the face. It's true. I read it here on Packer Rats :lol:

Merlin
09-03-2008, 11:25 AM
I don't think Spitz at center will be our problem, the guards however will be. I think Spitz will do a fine job, not as good as Wells but he will do just fine. It's not good going into the season not knowing who the starting line is, it''s even worse when one of the predicted starters is injured going in. The one thing they have going for them is that they are used to the merry-go-round at the guard position, maybe that can be a strength? One can always hope.

Fritz
09-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Last year the Packers lived a charmed life regarding injuries. this year seems different already.

Harlan Huckleby
09-04-2008, 01:28 AM
I'm kind of prejudiced against Wells because I saw him in a picture standing next to some other offensive linemen, and he looked like a husky kicker. he must have been standing next to some big OT's, but that image of Wells as a shrimp has stuck in my mind.

TheCheese
09-04-2008, 02:00 AM
I don't think Spitz at center will be our problem, the guards however will be. I think Spitz will do a fine job, not as good as Wells but he will do just fine. It's not good going into the season not knowing who the starting line is, it''s even worse when one of the predicted starters is injured going in. The one thing they have going for them is that they are used to the merry-go-round at the guard position, maybe that can be a strength? One can always hope.

Spitz may not do as good as a job as Wells right now, however it is in our best interest long term wise to keep him there permanently. He can actually move a DT where as Spitz is just a crafty undersized center who happens to be really knowledgeable. When Spitz obtains that knowledge he will be better than Wells by far and help anchor our line with his physicality. This would definitely leave Colledge at LG and probably Moll at RG for now until possibly Sitton takes his spot.