PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome

SkinBasket
09-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Okay dorks (I'm looking at you Partial), you going to wet yourself for Chrome, or is it now un-dorky and therefor un-counter-culture cool to be seen with this web browser when it releases?

Pictures. Pretty pretty, small pictures:
http://gamextract.com/?p=1855

Zool
09-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Meh. 1st gen software isnt always the best option for me. I'm getting lazy about troubleshooting my own stuff so I just want it to work.

SkinBasket
09-02-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm installing C# express or something on my computer. Does that make me queer, cool, or both?

mraynrand
09-02-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm installing C# express or something on my computer. Does that make me queer, cool, or both?

First tell me what the fuck it is, then I'll tell you how weird you are.

Freak Out
09-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Download the shit if you want.

http://www.google.com/chrome

red
09-02-2008, 05:48 PM
is it fast?

i'm pretty happy with FF right now

SkinBasket
09-02-2008, 06:16 PM

Some version of the programming language, I think.

BallHawk
09-02-2008, 06:21 PM
I swear by Firefox, so I'm good.

mraynrand
09-02-2008, 06:46 PM

You know something about it, but not to much - that's being cool. Now id you started giving a full explanation of how it's better than c+ and about some macros you wrote, well then, you're getting a bit geeky...

Partial
09-02-2008, 06:52 PM
The iGoogle portal (javascript based) is like twice as fast on chrome.

I also love each tab being its own process.

I digg it.

MadtownPacker
09-02-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm installing C# express or something on my computer. Does that make me queer, cool, or both?It means you are now qualified to LAN all night long with Partial and his geekshow roomies.

BallHawk
09-02-2008, 08:15 PM
The iGoogle portal (javascript based) is like twice as fast on chrome.

I also love each tab being its own process.

I digg it.

Now we just need Android to come out and the world will be perfect.

Partial
09-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Firefox could go to the next level with having each tab be a process. That means when something gets fucked up, the whole browser doesn't quit. Slowly but surely, the internet is becoming the OS.

SkinBasket
09-02-2008, 09:13 PM
I'm installing C# express or something on my computer. Does that make me queer, cool, or both?It means you are now qualified to LAN all night long with Partial and his geekshow roomies.

Awesome. Are you bringing the Dew?

Zool
09-02-2008, 09:14 PM

Awesome. Are you bringing the Dew?

Dude, its either Monster or Red Bull now. Mtn Dew is so 1998.

SkinBasket
09-02-2008, 09:17 PM

You know something about it, but not to much - that's being cool. Now id you started giving a full explanation of how it's better than c+ and about some macros you wrote, well then, you're getting a bit geeky...

I'm going to give this XNA bullshit a shot. I have a very limited attention span, so it won't be much of a shot, but it probably beats trying to learn C++ from the ground up... again I'm guessing here. The last time I programmed a game, it was on an Apple IIGS, and I was 13, so I'm a little out of practice, but it did have full joystick support so that must count for something. What I wouldn't give for a world as simple as BASIC again.

BallHawk
09-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Dude, its either Monster or Red Bull now. Mtn Dew is so 1998.

Mountain Dew will live on forever. Just ignore the new flavors that are tarnishing its legacy. Dew is the greatest soft drink of all time, behind New Coke, of course.

SkinBasket
09-02-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm going to give this XNA bullshit a shot. I have a very limited attention span, so it won't be much of a shot, but it probably beats trying to learn C++ from the ground up... again I'm guessing here. The last time I programmed a game, it was on an Apple IIGS, and I was 13, so I'm a little out of practice, but it did have full joystick support so that must count for something. What I wouldn't give for a world as simple as BASIC again.

I forgot to mention that my game also had adaptive AI, something Madden is getting around to 15 years later...

That makes me sound really cool.

Zool
09-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Your greater-than symbol would grow larger if avoided? I think we did that same pre-written script in 3rd grade.

30 if/then goto

bobblehead
09-02-2008, 09:36 PM

Reminds me of the time I was playing an online game and someone complained that they couldn't get their strength past 255 even though it should be 291, so I explained the architecture of 8 bit vs. 16 bit numbers and how the memory couldn't allow a strength of 291.......and the chat bar was silent for about 2 minutes solid. Yea, I was labeled after that one and I'm actually quite illiterate in most ways.

bobblehead
09-02-2008, 09:38 PM

I gotta give you credit, I had absolutely no joystick control when i was 13.....

SkinBasket
09-03-2008, 07:09 AM
I've created this dramatic re-enactment of my masterpiece: Super Robot Helicopter Wars. The opponent Super Robot Helicopter (on the right), when controlled by the computer, would record the human player's tendency to dodge up or down based on it's relative position of being higher, lower, or even when the shot was fired and would use those computations to adjust it's next salvo. That's why it was a Super Robot Helicopter, and not just a Normal Robot Helicopter. I'm quite surprised that my II GS never became self-aware as a result of this stunning software. Then again, that probably would have required a hard drive.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g188/skinbasket/heli.gif

Zool
09-03-2008, 08:24 AM
First impression of Chrome: its very rigid, and cumbersome to use. Each tab is its own process, and that is a good idea but visually its about 5 years behind and its slower than I would expect. I'm too lazy to give it a try on Linux because the Windows version is nothing too exciting and I assume it will be more of the same. It did import all of my bookmarks and history from Firefox.

Overall...meh
Firefox 3 + Adblock plus is the only way to go still.

Partial
09-03-2008, 11:00 AM
From my experience I thought Crome was significantly faster but it was about 5 minutes of use.

Partial
09-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Part of the reason it seemed so fast was I was looking at the iGoogle portal, which is all javascript.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10030888-92.html?part=rss

As one can see, clearly Google has Ajax in mind when designing this. That means it will work very well with their services.