PDA

View Full Version : RNC

Zool
09-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Does anyone live in St Paul and see this ruckus that happened? I got a couple bits from KMSP but just wondering if there was more.

HarveyWallbangers
09-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Does anyone live in St Paul and see this ruckus that happened? I got a couple bits from KMSP but just wondering if there was more.

What ruckus?

BallHawk
09-02-2008, 09:41 PM
The "RNC Welcoming Committee" is jumping for joy that the media is giving them their 15 minutes of fame. Idiots.

Zool
09-02-2008, 09:43 PM
There was a 300-400 person protest in StP apparently. There was pepper spray and a group of some anarchists were apparently causing some problems.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2008/09/02/johns.bpr.rnc.day2.protests.cnn

bobblehead
09-02-2008, 09:45 PM
There was a 300-400 person protest in StP apparently. There was pepper spray and a group of some anarchists were apparently causing some problems.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2008/09/02/johns.bpr.rnc.day2.protests.cnn

ah yes, the all accepting non judgemental crowd being obnoxious enough to get themselves pepper sprayed again.

Zool
09-02-2008, 09:46 PM

ah yes, the all accepting non judgemental crowd being obnoxious enough to get themselves pepper sprayed again.

It was some anarchists that were causing the problems. The protest had already concluded before anything went down.

http://images.publicradio.org/content/2008/09/01/20080901_anarchists_john_ireland_33.jpg

BallHawk
09-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Anarchists. :roll:

I'm sure OPF is too familiar with 'em.

BallHawk
09-02-2008, 09:47 PM
You know that half of those kids are from 4chan......

Tyrone Bigguns
09-02-2008, 09:49 PM
I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week,...

HowardRoark
09-02-2008, 09:52 PM
http://www.rncwelcomingcommittee.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/rnc-wc-small.jpg

Zool
09-02-2008, 09:54 PM
I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week,...

Look, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.

bobblehead
09-02-2008, 10:06 PM
What I'm dying to know is:

did anyone scream "don't taze me bro' "

Tyrone Bigguns
09-02-2008, 10:38 PM

Look, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.

Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

mraynrand
09-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Now you see the violence inherent in the system. HELP! HELP! I'm being repressed!

texaspackerbacker
09-03-2008, 12:04 AM
This all translates to McCain votes in a key battleground state--Minnesota.

I couldn't/wouldn't/shouldn't even to an RNC location. I just wouldn't be content to see the bastards get arrested and disgrace themselves into giving the good guys votes. Even in my sixties, I'd be out there doing my best to beat the shit out of them--just like I did in my twenties at U.W. with the Commie freaks.

It would be a lot of fun, though, bashing the bastards' skulls.

I'm sure I'll get some choice comments from you p.c. wimps across the spectrum for being such a bad boy and expressing my true feelings like ya'all apparently don't have the ....... capacity ..... to.

mraynrand
09-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Not these guys, Tex. I'd be happy to kick the shit out of the guys vandalizing store fronts and causing mayhem in Minneapolis.

HowardRoark
09-03-2008, 07:09 AM
Not these guys, Tex. I'd be happy to kick the shit out of the guys vandalizing store fronts and causing mayhem in Minneapolis.

I'm OK with ass kickings here too. Let Sarah roam the streets with some of her firearms.

LL2
09-03-2008, 09:47 AM

It was some anarchists that were causing the problems. The protest had already concluded before anything went down.

http://images.publicradio.org/content/2008/09/01/20080901_anarchists_john_ireland_33.jpg

You didn't here about this stuff during last weeks Democratic convention. I guess liberals do not know how to be peaceful and get their point across.

Zool
09-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Again, not liberals, anarchists. You can read, correct?

mraynrand
09-03-2008, 10:08 AM
liberal anarchists. Is that better? I posted a list of the participants on another thread.

LL2
09-03-2008, 11:00 AM

There isn't that much of a difference. Anarchist support the liberals and I'm sure they love Obama.

Zool
09-03-2008, 11:01 AM
But the protest was over before the problems started.

retailguy
09-03-2008, 11:03 AM

There isn't that much of a difference. Anarchist support the liberals and I'm sure they love Obama.

This has to be true. If they aren't "liberal anarchists" then why didn't they protest the DNC convention last week?

Seems to me that last week there were some nutcase anti abortion protesters who didn't even make the news, and every liberal around here would associate those with the republicans so fair is fair, right? If we get stuck with those abortion nutjobs, then I guess the liberals get the anarchists who are incapable of behaving. Seems like a fair trade.

Zool
09-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Cant we just tear gas all of them? Oh wait...

hoosier
09-03-2008, 11:14 AM
You people who are arguing that "liberals" and "anarchists" are essentially the same are either being intentionally dense or are so far out there to the right that anything to the left of Mussolini looks identical to you. Consider that liberalism in the US has always stood for governmental activism in solving social problems, whereas anarchism is in principle opposed to any form of government other than self-government. Liberals despise anarchists as being forces of disorder; anarchists despise liberals as being tools of the capitalist system. If your political horizon begins with Barry Goldwater and ends with the Bushies, I can sort of see why those two positions might blend together a little. But try to have a little perspective.

retailguy
09-03-2008, 11:16 AM
You people who are arguing that "liberals" and "anarchists" are essentially the same are either being intentionally dense or are so far out there to the right that anything to the left of Mussolini looks identical to you. Consider that liberalism in the US has always stood for governmental activism in solving social problems, whereas anarchism is in principle opposed to any form of government other than self-government. Liberals despise anarchists as being forces of disorder; anarchists despise liberals as being tools of the capitalist system. If your political horizon begins with Barry Goldwater and ends with the Bushies, I can sort of see why those two positions might blend together a little. But try to have a little perspective.

So, then, why weren't they protesting last week, and why was one of the organizers that were arrested late last week claiming to be a democrat?

If they "hate" liberals then they should demonstrate there too, right? But they didn't....

and look, I didn't call you "dense" once... Imagine.

mraynrand
09-03-2008, 11:20 AM
There were all sorts of nutjobs protesting at the DNC. They had barricades to keep them far away from the convention site. I'm not sure if they have the same thing at the RNC. The people that are involved in the destruction of property in Minneapolis are NOT the same as the far lefty groups like Code Pink for example. They say so on their own site. These are real crazies, who want to 'bring down society' Hoosier is correct on this point. That of course, doesn't make Code Pink any less weird - but it doesn't make them anarchists.

texaspackerbacker
09-03-2008, 11:21 AM

I'm OK with ass kickings here too. Let Sarah roam the streets with some of her firearms.

Yeah! Way to Man Up, AR and HR.

LL2
09-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Boy...did Guliani and Palin come out with a lot of punches. Guliani was especially strong against Obama. I was like Wow! :shock: I guess I was expecting some feel good "We are family" speeches like the Dems gave last week. After the DNC I told my wife that I had a feeling Obama was going to win, but I'm sot so sure now.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Boy...did Guliani and Palin come out with a lot of punches. Guliani was especially strong against Obama. I was like Wow! :shock: I guess I was expecting some feel good "We are family" speeches like the Dems gave last week. After the DNC I told my wife that I had a feeling Obama was going to win, but I'm sot so sure now.

While Giuliani threw some punches...i can say quite fairly, that he is one of the poorest pols at public speaking in a long time. Makes W look like Obama.

I started to drift off during his brilliant 2 applications for a job section.

More interesting was watching the camera scan endlessly for the minority faces in the crowd. :lol:

Scott Campbell
09-03-2008, 10:55 PM
He was better than Hillary.

mraynrand
09-03-2008, 10:57 PM

While Giuliani threw some punches...i can say quite fairly, that he is one of the poorest pols at public speaking in a long time. Makes W look like Obama.

I started to drift off during his brilliant 2 applications for a job section.

More interesting was watching the camera scan endlessly for the minority faces in the crowd. :lol:

Tell me, did you find any blacks or jews. I can't possibly find them because, like Scott Campbell, I just don't understand.

Still, nice job multiculturalist. Who is concerned about race all the time again?

What about women? Are you conceding that women are no longer minorities? Fill us in on all the minority and race issues, oh multicultural sage!

HowardRoark
09-03-2008, 10:57 PM

Were you in the XCel Center tonight?

mraynrand
09-03-2008, 11:00 PM

Were you in the XCel Center tonight?

Even if not PHYSICALLY there, Ty was MENTALLY there. Once again, Ty gets into the thoughts and motivations of people like no one else can! Now he knows that the camera operator was scanning for minorities. Ty knows all!

HowardRoark
09-03-2008, 11:00 PM

Hoosier, I agree with just about everything you wrote.

They are just too stupid to know .......aw hell they just want to break stuff.....let's be honest.

digitaldean
09-03-2008, 11:15 PM
I have to be honest that I was NOT thrilled with McCain as the nominee.

Given the deification of Obamamessiah and the near persecution of Sarah Palin, I am voting for McCain. I see him, at best, as a 21st century Jimmy Carter.

I have been vocal in my opposition to McCain / Feingold, etc. But with more nanny state programs from Obama, I know that gov't. largesse will only get worse. With McCain I know at least it will be at least a step in the right direction.

Though McCain is not totally my type of President, I have even less faith in an Obama presidency.

BallHawk
09-03-2008, 11:17 PM
There were all sorts of nutjobs protesting at the DNC. They had barricades to keep them far away from the convention site. I'm not sure if they have the same thing at the RNC. The people that are involved in the destruction of property in Minneapolis are NOT the same as the far lefty groups like Code Pink for example. They say so on their own site. These are real crazies, who want to 'bring down society' Hoosier is correct on this point. That of course, doesn't make Code Pink any less weird - but it doesn't make them anarchists.

The most popular protesters being the "9/11 was an inside job" type, the "Legalize Marijuana" type, and finally the "I live in a police state" type.

texaspackerbacker
09-04-2008, 12:28 AM

Wow what a night! It was, indeed, refreshing to see the forces of good come out and really tell it like it is--no pulling of punches!

They downright RIDICULED Obama--the uh, "community organizer:" hahaha. What in the hell IS a community organizer, anyway? It kinda sounds like some sort of a professional troublemaker.

And to think THIS magnificent spectacle was on all three networks, CNN, and MSNBC, where virtually everybody who cares enough to vote could see with their own eyes/hear with their own ears, rather than through the filter and spin of the leftist mainstream media.

Tonight was a GIGANTIC step toward defeating the plastic sham of a candidate, Obama, and his party that shows so much disdain and disrespect for everything American.

mraynrand
09-04-2008, 12:41 AM
Giuliani was terrific I thought. So was Palin. And the beauty was two-fold. First, they took apart Obama using simple facts and his own words and positions. Giuliani dissected him on the response to Russia's invasion of Georgia. They both pummeled him on being wrong about the surge and being for defeat in Iraq. They blitzed him on being for tax increases in all aspects of life and death. And they demonstrated that he has ZERO, repeat, ZERO actual experience (Present!). The second prong was to point out how they - McCain and Palin are the better of the candidates. Service to America, focus on basic American values that have stood the test of time. Love - LOVE of country - both families McCain and Palin rich in service to the nation. Effective leadership. Great, just great!

texaspackerbacker
09-04-2008, 12:49 AM
Giuliani was terrific I thought. So was Palin. And the beauty was two-fold. First, they took apart Obama using simple facts and his own words and positions. Giuliani dissected him on the response to Russia's invasion of Georgia. They both pummeled him on being wrong about the surge and being for defeat in Iraq. They blitzed him on being for tax increases in all aspects of life and death. And they demonstrated that he has ZERO, repeat, ZERO actual experience (Present!). The second prong was to point out how they - McCain and Palin are the better of the candidates. Service to America, focus on basic American values that have stood the test of time. Love - LOVE of country - both families McCain and Palin rich in service to the nation. Effective leadership. Great, just great!

Excellent summary, Aynrand. I can remember many conventions where timidity reigned supreme, and this sort of factual, but directly confrontational attacks against the leftist extremists that the Dems routinely nominate would NOT have occurred. Our guys (and gal) even confronted the blatantly biased media, which for so long, has been a sacred cow that big name Republicans didn't dare cross.

America was watching tonight, and I can't help thinking they liked what they saw. I certainly did!

Harlan Huckleby
09-04-2008, 01:02 AM
Palin gave the most effective political speech i have ever heard.

It was not a thing of beauty, like Obama's smooth speech on race. But I am certain that she connected with many voters with her simple, direct language.

Palin is a huge talent, her comic timing and delivery was perfect.

The media treatment of Palin has been beyond the pale. I saw a couple radio hosts (Ed Shultz and Stephanie Miller) on a tv panel, making the argument that Palin is hypocritical because she preached abstinence and moral values, and her kid got knocked up. Hypocritical!? Since when does any parent have absolute control over the actions of their teenagers? A failure does not make someone hypocritical.

CNN ran a poll yesterday asking viewers whether Palin should be dumped from the ticket. My God! They are supposed to be a news organization, for them to feed such a devious political frenzy was disgraceful.

I suspect Palin will be a huge asset in the midwest swing states, the obvious reason why she was picked to be VP.

TheCheese
09-04-2008, 01:49 AM

The most popular protesters being the "9/11 was an inside job" type, the "Legalize Marijuana" type, and finally the "I live in a police state" type.

Yeah and who the fuck do you think these "protesters" are voting for? And seriously dude, open your eyes; do you really think that there would have been people coming up with a 9/11 conspiracy if Bush had a D next to his name? If 9/11 would have happened to Clinton exactly how it happened to Bush, there would be no conspiracy because all these nut jobs happen to be fucking liberals, they just use it as an excuse to hate on any so called republican that they can because that is what their hippy parents did.

Seriously you haven't answered the question to why there were no "anarchists" at the DNC. IT'S EASY JUST ADD 2+2 !

th87
09-04-2008, 05:24 AM

Yeah and who the fuck do you think these "protesters" are voting for? And seriously dude, open your eyes; do you really think that there would have been people coming up with a 9/11 conspiracy if Bush had a D next to his name? If 9/11 would have happened to Clinton exactly how it happened to Bush, there would be no conspiracy because all these nut jobs happen to be fucking liberals, they just use it as an excuse to hate on any so called republican that they can because that is what their hippy parents did.

Seriously you haven't answered the question to why there were no "anarchists" at the DNC. IT'S EASY JUST ADD 2+2 !

Fine. But who would the KKK types rather vote for?

Conservatives!

mraynrand
09-04-2008, 08:52 AM

Fine. But who would the KKK types rather vote for?

Conservatives!

How about their own Grandmaster, Robert C. Byrd?

If you look at a the anarchists' website, they are opposed to both democrats and republicans. They showed up at the RNC, because if they showed up at the DNC, they would have just blended in with the delegates!

mraynrand
09-04-2008, 08:56 AM
CNN ran a poll yesterday asking viewers whether Palin should be dumped from the ticket. My God! They are supposed to be a news organization, for them to feed such a devious political frenzy was disgraceful.

The leftists media has really lost it. Take for example Alan Colmes and Andrew Sullivan, who ran with the rumor that Palin's fifth child was actually her daughters child, and published demeaning articles on their blogs and websites, only to have to retract them later. No apologies, no one got fired. Both those guys should be on the street looking for a job. Neither one properly sourced the 'story' - they just ran with rumors. That's about as low as 'journalists' can get.

LL2
09-04-2008, 08:57 AM
To my shocking surprise the media talking heads love Palin.

"It wasn't just a home run, said CNN's Wolf Blitzer; it may have been a grand slam.

"A very auspicious debut," said NBC's Tom Brokaw.

It was a "perfect populist pitch," said CBS' Jeff Greenfield.

"Terrific," said Mort Kondracke on Fox News Channel.

"A star is born," said Chris Wallace on Fox.

"A star is born," Blitzer said.

"A star is born," said Anderson Cooper on CNN.

mraynrand
09-04-2008, 09:16 AM

Brokaw is really a mumbling head at this point, but I get your point. Chris Matthews was calling her Norma Rae. I wonder if one of his legs was tingling?

HowardRoark
09-04-2008, 09:26 AM
The emperor has no clothes.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/06/18/barack_obama.jpg

Cleft Crusty
09-04-2008, 11:10 AM

Brokaw is really a mumbling head at this point, but I get your point. Chris Matthews was calling her Norma Rae. I wonder if one of his legs was tingling?

Cleft Crusty usually doesn't post in the romper room (I hate politics), but I thought I could offer some insight for Chris Matthews. I have the same tingle in my leg - it's from stenosis. I suggest trying OxyContin (oxycodone), Percodan (oxycodone and ASA), or Tramacet (I've tried all three), and if that doesn't work get a epidural steroid injection of Celestone Soluspan (betamethasone acetate). Good luck , Chris.

BTW, if you have questions about the Packers, and want an unvarnished, shoot-from-the-(artificial)hip answer, visit the Cleft Crusty blog in the Packer Room.

HowardRoark
09-04-2008, 11:15 AM
I am looking out my window at the roof of the Hilton (where McCain is staying) in Minneapolis. Plenty of Secret Service guys wandering around on the roof.

Sarah is teaching them how to field strip their weapons while blind folded.

mraynrand
09-04-2008, 11:21 AM

I once stripped in a field while blindfolded, but that's a story for another day.

Freak Out
09-04-2008, 01:18 PM

I once stripped in a field while blindfolded, but that's a story for another day.

No...this is the day! :lol: :wait:

Freak Out
09-04-2008, 01:22 PM
I hate the modern political convention. It was painful to watch both parties lineups.

texaspackerbacker
09-04-2008, 01:33 PM
I hate the modern political convention. It was painful to watch both parties lineups.

I can see how you might think so :D

The worst nightmare for liberals is to be exposed--a direct comparison of their anti-American anti-Christian anti-free enterprise views and positions and the genuine NORMAL AMERICAN views and positions of the Republicans.

For decades, the good guys never quite articulated this, especially in a venue like the convention, when the whole country was watching.

Sarah Palin did that! She spelled it all out, just like Rush does every day, just like I do.

Yup, I can see how that would be painful for you and other lefties.

mraynrand
09-04-2008, 01:36 PM

I can see how you might think so :D

The worst nightmare for liberals is to be exposed--a direct comparison of their anti-American anti-Christian anti-free enterprise views and positions and the genuine NORMAL AMERICAN views and positions of the Republicans.

For decades, the good guys never quite articulated this, especially in a venue like the convention, when the whole country was watching.

Sarah Palin did that! She spelled it all out, just like Rush does every day, just like I do.

Yup, I can see how that would be painful for you and other lefties.

You beat me to it. Plus, the contrast couldn't be more apparent. John McCain is all about service and sacrifice for a country that he loves because it's great, and Obama was all about extracting the greatness of the country to give handouts to everyone who lines up for them.

Freak Out
09-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Mac? Has he spoke at the convention other than the bit with the Palin clan? I must have missed his "Country First" philosophy emanating form his fellow republicans that crossed the stage.

It's the same old partisan politics from what I've seen. I have respect for Mac but we'll see what he has to say. He's already changed some long held positions to appeal to the base.

SkinBasket
09-04-2008, 02:42 PM
Fred Thompson is looking less dead than he was a year ago.

Freak Out
09-04-2008, 02:44 PM

:)

Has to be the spouse.

SkinBasket
09-04-2008, 02:45 PM

:)

Has to be the spouse.

Are you suggesting Fred Thompson is a warlock using dark majiks to drain the youth from his partner?

Harlan Huckleby
09-04-2008, 03:29 PM
I heard today (from a credible, fair and balanced source) that Palin's approval rating in Alaska is a whopping 80%. But even more impressive, her approval rating among Democrats is 75%.

All the Democrat-leaning analysists I saw last night gave a mixture of admiration for Palin, with various doses of negativity, usually reasons why the brilliant speech she gave is not enough to judge her. But the one consistent factor across all Dem analysts was they all seemed highly agitated.

I think the Dem anxiety over Palin is well placed. We won't be seeing any more polls asking whether Palin should be dropped from the ticket. Maybe McCain.

Scott Campbell
09-04-2008, 03:46 PM
I heard today (from a credible, fair and balanced source) that Palin's approval rating in Alaska is a whopping 80%.

Yeah, it's impressive. But I expect that Shannon Daugherty's approval rating would run near 80% in Alaska.

LL2
09-04-2008, 03:48 PM
I We won't be seeing any more polls asking whether Palin should be dropped from the ticket. Maybe McCain.

In 4 years...give it a little time. Palin for Prez!

Scott Campbell
09-04-2008, 03:51 PM

I'm in agreement with your take. Their message was clear, concise and compelling. There was consistency. They didn't stray off message.

I was a little surprised how quickly she jumped into the fray - immediately on the offensive in her first real action in the campaign. And she managed to be critical without being disrespectful. That's a fine line to walk.

texaspackerbacker
09-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Last night and tonight, the good guys--and gals--have the national TV audience and ability to speak to uncommitted voters directly--without the spin, the filtering, and the outright falsification of the leftist mainstream media.

Sarah Palin made the most of her opportunity last night, and really has the anti-american scum running scared--just look at Ty in this forum.

Hopefully, McCain will come through just as big tonight. I'm fully prepared to not quite enjoy McCain's speech as much as I liked Palin's. He isn't talking to me, though. He isn't even talking to the people in that hall in St. Paul. He's talking to the undecided voters and more moderate and sensible Democrat voters who were given a spark of hope by Sarah Palin. It's up to McCain to be our closer and seal the deal.

I'm writing this an hour or so before the speech, and I'm betting he does it.

CBS--as liberal as it gets, except maybe for NBC, reported a poll today that showed the race dead even--a 9% uptick in one day. What will it be tomorrow? I'm optimistic.

Freak Out
09-04-2008, 08:50 PM
I heard today (from a credible, fair and balanced source) that Palin's approval rating in Alaska is a whopping 80%.

Yeah, it's impressive. But I expect that Shannon Daugherty's approval rating would run near 80% in Alaska.

:lol: :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
09-04-2008, 09:37 PM
I We won't be seeing any more polls asking whether Palin should be dropped from the ticket. Maybe McCain.

hopefully in four years the Democratic Party will have wised-up and I will be supporting their candidate. Then I will be here posting articles from the National Enquirer about Palin.

Scott Campbell
09-04-2008, 09:40 PM
I'd never say its not true, because who knows. I sure don't. But wouldn't it make sense to wait until a more reputable source confirms it, before creaming yourself?

hoosier
09-05-2008, 07:56 AM

hopefully in four years the Democratic Party will have wised-up and I will be supporting their candidate. Then I will be here posting articles from the National Enquirer about Palin.

Yeah, you and Joe Lieberman. :P

Harlan Huckleby
09-05-2008, 08:52 AM
I think Joe Lieberman is a very good man! BTW, he votes pretty consistently with Democratic positions, he's quite liberal on domestic issues. The fact that he has been turned into the punch-line of jokes indicates just how intolerant the Dem party has become. At least the Republicans don't push their maverick, John McCain, out of the party.

The Huffington Post Democrats have taken over the party and ruined it. I suppose after the Bush years the lefties deserve a chance.

As much as I admire her, I would have a hard time voting for Palin as president in 2012, she is too conservative. I feared she might lead the convention in a rousing rendition of "Every Sperm is Sacred"

Actually, I really doubt I could vote for any Republican in 2012. The health care system needs to be overhauled, and I already have guilt pangs about voting Republican in 2008.

mraynrand
09-05-2008, 08:55 AM
I think Joe Lieberman is a very good man! The fact that he has been turned into the punch-line of jokes indicates just how intolerant the Dem party has become.

You should see the pictures where they photoshopped his head onto porn stars and bikini wearing chicks with weapons.

mraynrand
09-05-2008, 08:58 AM
I can't find the Lieberman pics, but here are the Palin pics:

http://rightwingnews.com/graphics/palinbikini.jpg

http://rightwingnews.com/graphics/notpalin.jpg

LL2
09-05-2008, 09:38 AM
I've been loking around at different news sites, but haven't found any polls on the post RNC. Has McCain/Palin received a boost or polls stayed the same? I believe Obama got no boost from the DNC.

It will be a dog fight for the next 60 days.

retailguy
09-05-2008, 10:19 AM
I've been loking around at different news sites, but haven't found any polls on the post RNC. Has McCain/Palin received a boost or polls stayed the same? I believe Obama got no boost from the DNC.

It will be a dog fight for the next 60 days.

I read somewhere that Obama wound up with a 3 pt bump, which quickly evaporated when McCain announced Palin as his running mate. I haven't seen any results post RNC either. Maybe it is too soon yet.

Harlan Huckleby
09-05-2008, 10:54 AM
I was unthrilled by McCain's speech. I can't say it isn't an effective strategy, but I didn't like his speech and the convention focusing so much on McCain's POW years. I get it already, he's a hero, but its not a solution to the country's problems.

mraynrand
09-05-2008, 10:59 AM
I was unthrilled by McCain's speech. I can't say it isn't an effective strategy, but I didn't like his speech and the convention focusing so much on McCain's POW years. I get it already, he's a hero, but its not a solution to the country's problems.

McCain was a POW?

LL2
09-05-2008, 11:15 AM

I agree. I've heard commentators this morning say that they should've shortened his speech, since he's not the most effective speaker. I tend to agree. His strengths are in the town hall meeting settings. To bad Palin couldn't have spoken last.

SkinBasket
09-05-2008, 11:17 AM

Speak the truth brotha!

McCain is not an exciting man. Nor is he a pretty man. That doesn't make for good TV.

Freak Out
09-05-2008, 11:21 AM
The last poll I saw gave Obama/Biden an 8 point advantage over Mac/Palin. That was the day after she was announced as his running mate. I've seen nothing after that but we should see something from Pew after the weekend.

HarveyWallbangers
09-05-2008, 11:32 AM
The latest RCP average has the spread at 3.8 points, so you must have been looking at the NY Times, Washington Post, or Minneapolis Star Tribune poll.
:D

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html

BTW, I love it how the Star Tribune almost always inflates the support for the Democrat, and then when their poll is proved wrong on election day, they blame a late surge for the Republican. You'd think they'd learn that it isn't a good strategy.

LL2
09-05-2008, 12:42 PM
The latest RCP average has the spread at 3.8 points, so you must have been looking at the NY Times, Washington Post, or Minneapolis Star Tribune poll.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html

BTW, I love it how the Star Tribune almost always inflates the support for the Democrat, and then when their poll is proved wrong on election day, they blame a late surge for the Republican. You'd think they'd learn that it isn't a good strategy.

So, CNN has Obama at +1...does that make them unbiased? I think this election is going to go down to the wire like the past two.

Freak Out
09-05-2008, 01:26 PM

The enquirer is reporting that he had a pretty tricked out bondage suit on under that well cut suit.

It would have been nice if the Rat would have been in the command center when the towers went down.

mraynrand
09-05-2008, 01:30 PM

The enquirer is reporting that he had a pretty tricked out bondage suit on under that well cut suit.

It would have been nice if the Rat would have been in the command center when the towers went down.

Maybe Tim Russert could have been next to him, eh?

Freak Out
09-05-2008, 01:37 PM

A great American like him? Better ask Tex.

This is classic. "Are we still live?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrG8w4bb3kg

LL2
09-05-2008, 04:36 PM
McCain really needs to milk Palin's popularity ever step of the way. A recent poll I saw on Yahoo said 4 in 10 see Palin as qualified. Better than I expected. Obama's camp is at odds over her sudden popularity, so McCain needs to take advantage of it.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-05-2008, 04:44 PM
I think Joe Lieberman is a very good man! BTW, he votes pretty consistently with Democratic positions, he's quite liberal on domestic issues. The fact that he has been turned into the punch-line of jokes indicates just how intolerant the Dem party has become. At least the Republicans don't push their maverick, John McCain, out of the party.

The Huffington Post Democrats have taken over the party and ruined it. I suppose after the Bush years the lefties deserve a chance.

As much as I admire her, I would have a hard time voting for Palin as president in 2012, she is too conservative. I feared she might lead the convention in a rousing rendition of "Every Sperm is Sacred"

Actually, I really doubt I could vote for any Republican in 2012. The health care system needs to be overhauled, and I already have guilt pangs about voting Republican in 2008.

Pushed out of the party? How so?

When you lose and then decide to run as an independent..you aren't part of the party.

Joe has always been about joe.

mraynrand
09-05-2008, 05:36 PM

So you're OK with being for the death of Giuliani in the collapse of the towers? That's your position?

retailguy
09-05-2008, 06:57 PM

When you lose and then decide to run as an independent..you aren't part of the party.

He didn't lose, you idiot, his party RECRUITED someone to run against him. He ran as an independent and won in a 3 way race with 50% of the vote, and he beat LaMont by 10 points.....

Is there anything you don't twist? Good grief. :roll:

Tyrone Bigguns
09-05-2008, 07:06 PM

He didn't lose, you idiot, his party RECRUITED someone to run against him. He ran as an independent and won in a 3 way race with 50% of the vote, and he beat LaMont by 10 points.....

Is there anything you don't twist? Good grief. :roll:

Twist. LOL You are doing it now.

Joe was endorsed officially by the Conn Dem party..how is that being pushed out. Lamont however received 33% of the delegates..which forced a runoff.

Did he lose to lamont in the democratic runoff. Yes. Whether lamont was recruited isn't relevant...he wasn't pushed out. Voters voted, they didn't choose him.

Joe ran as an independent...care to explain how that is being part of the party?

mraynrand
09-06-2008, 05:39 PM

So you're OK with being for the death of Giuliani in the collapse of the towers? That's your position?

I wonder what Tex thinks about all this? No one else seems to care.

texaspackerbacker
09-06-2008, 09:24 PM

I wonder what Tex thinks about all this? No one else seems to care.

Oh, that's horrible. I'm simply shocked and appalled--and downright offended (hey Howard, my first attempt at "bold"--thanks) that anybody could possibly wish anybody else could get DEAD. How awful!

mraynrand
09-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Did you notice that not ONE other person was offended, Tex? Imagine that.

texaspackerbacker
09-06-2008, 09:57 PM

So, CNN has Obama at +1...does that make them unbiased? I think this election is going to go down to the wire like the past two.

I've kinda flip-flopped back and forth on the degree of intentional wrongness for propaganda value or political gain in polling. There probably isn't any or much. After all, most of the media polls have one supposed conservative organization working together with a liberal one. And Gallup and Rasmussen supposedly are scrupulously unbiased. Just the same, most seem to think it's legitimate to poll more Democrats than Republicans. Also, the wording of questions can obviously make a great deal of difference. At this point, I think competition to appear correct is a stronger motivation than trying to influence outcomes. The shameful exit polling data they put out in "04, however, is a different story.

What I will say with certainty, though, is that the polls are notoriously unreliable. It may be the sample size; It may be procedures; But most likely of all, it is the nature of the people being polled.

We've all heard of the Bradley Syndrome--people telling pollsters they will vote for the black candidate, then doing the opposite. I know from first hand knowledge that something similar is prevalent with hispanics. I've got a Mexican son-in-law who wouldn't be caught dead voting for a black guy, but would never allow himself to appear racist to a pollster ...... and he's hardly exceptional. Add to that the natural human impulse to be 100% certain one day, and just as certain of just the opposite the next day.

I've said all along that as the real unfiltered views, values, and positions of both sides get to the people by way of the convention speeches, ads, and debates, the Dem/lib prospect nosedive and the good guys skyrocket. It happened in 2000; It happened again in 2004; And things are on track for it to happen in 2008--I think by a larger margin this time with the Sarah Palin factor.

Much is being made of the Dems' big push to register new voters. Wouldn't it be ironic if the Palin factor causes more of those newbie to vote for her and McCain than for Obama and ..... what's that old fogie's name?