PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers Doesn't Respond To Trash Talk

Chevelle2
09-03-2008, 12:13 AM
http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=8941548

By Michelle Tuckner

Aaron Rodgers's first regular season start comes with plenty of hype, national TV, and a hated division rival. Now the Minnesota Vikings are trying to get inside his head.

The wait is almost over for Rodgers. The Vikings game is just days away, and the buildup for the season opener is nearly unmatched.

"It's a little surreal. It feels like it went by quick but the years individually went by slow," Rodgers said. "It's nice to be the guy now."

The Vikings added even more spice to the opener and the rivalry. Back in August, after Favre was traded, the Vikings started trash talking.

"I'm not even going to say his name because he's not Favre. Whatever his name is, he's not Favre," defensive tackle Pat Williams said.

Defensive end Jared Allen, who is new the rivalry, added, "Hopefully I can put my helmet square in the back of his spine. If I can do that and knock the ball loose, it'll be a good day."

So does Rodgers feel like a marked man?

"Every quarterback is a marked man," he said. "I'm confident in the guys up front, and my job is to get the ball out of my hands. Hopefully I'll be able to get up after I get hit."

Under head coach Mike McCarthy, trash talking from the Packers locker room hardly happens, and Rodgers would not provide the Vikings with any bulletin board material.

"They want me to make a reaction to that. I don't need something like that to motivate me. I have enough motivation being the starting quarterback," Rodgers said.

"I've never seen anything to gain from it. That's really the only message I've given our players. I think it speaks volumes of how they go about their business," Coach McCarthy said.

boiga
09-03-2008, 01:01 AM
If you watch his after practice interview from tuesday, Rodgers goes on to say that he doesn't feel comfortable trash talking because he hasn't done anything to merit respect yet. He's got a point. The Willamses are tremendous Tackles and Allen can get to a QB, so they've got the track record to make bold claims. Rodgers hasn't earned any respect yet, so he can only hope that his play on Monday will shut them up.

I hope so too.

PlantPage55
09-03-2008, 07:40 AM
If you watch his after practice interview from tuesday, Rodgers goes on to say that he doesn't feel comfortable trash talking because he hasn't done anything to merit respect yet. He's got a point. The Willamses are tremendous Tackles and Allen can get to a QB, so they've got the track record to make bold claims. Rodgers hasn't earned any respect yet, so he can only hope that his play on Monday will shut them up.

I hope so too.

Yeah, they are great players, but I think it's hilarious how Sharper and Pat have been talking for a few years now with absolutely NO results on the field. It's hilarious to me that they continue this.

LL2
09-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Hopefully Rodgers will gain respect by burning the Viqueens for 4 TD's and 300+ yards, and Grant and BJack throw in another 100+ yards running. I'm so glad the season is finally here. I can't wait!

MadtownPacker
09-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Rodgers will get his respect by helping led his team to victory. IMO he doesn't have to throw for 300yds and 4 td, he just has to play well and not lose the game on his own.

LL2
09-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Rodgers will get his respect by helping led his team to victory. IMO he doesn't have to throw for 300yds and 4 td, he just has to play well and not lose the game on his own.

True...but 4 TD's and 300+ yards would be nice too!

texaspackerbacker
09-03-2008, 11:08 AM
The trash talk is a smokescreen. What the Vikings will try to do IMO is to shut down Grant and the running game, and force Rodgers to beat them.

I think he will do just that. However, McCarthy will stubbornly try to run in the face of the Viking D stacked against the run. Thus, Rodgers won't throw a huge number of passes. What he does throw, though, will be into scant coverage. Thus, he should have a big night.