PDA

View Full Version : ESPN rankings

Brainerd
09-03-2008, 12:53 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking?season=2008&week=1

The Pack start the season #10. Anyone remember where they finished at the end of the regular season last year?

Tony Oday
09-03-2008, 01:04 PM
yeah one win short of the Super Bowl! :(

texaspackerbacker
09-03-2008, 02:17 PM
New Orleans and Seattle ahead of the Packers? Are they kidding?

New England may be down a little, but still deserves #1. #2 should be between Dallas and Indianapolis. After that, though, it just has to be the Packers--4th.

San Diego and Jacksonville are about even next at 5th and 6th. Then Pittsburgh seems reasonable as #7.

After that, I see a big drop off. Maybe New York (Giants), New Orleans, and Seattle are there, but I tend to put Tampa, Minnesota, and Tennessee with those three, maybe ahead. Those six undoubtedly make up numbers 8-13.

boiga
09-03-2008, 03:06 PM
It's better this way. The Packers always did better when people had low expectations from them. They flew below the radar last year until game 10 too. Hopefully it'll follow a similar trajectory this year too.

Chevelle2
09-03-2008, 03:07 PM
It's better this way. The Packers always did better when people had low expectations from them. They flew below the radar last year until game 10 too. Hopefully it'll follow a similar trajectory this year too.

I agree. I could care less what some hacks on BSPN say honestly. This is ideal really, a great team, with low expectations.

Packgator
09-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Anyone remember where they finished at the end of the regular season last year?

At the end of the regular season they were second in the NFC behind Dallas. Probably another three or so in AFC were ranked higher so I would guess the Packers were ranked 4 or 5 when the regular season ended.

cpk1994
09-03-2008, 03:16 PM
I am absolutely shocked that BSPN dsoesn't have the N.Y. Bretts #1. Blasphemy I tells ya! :)

boiga
09-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Dr. Z ranked us 10th as well. But he thinks the vikes are the third best team in the country, which is the best curse anyone could place on them.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/dr_z/09/03/week.1/index.html

mmmdk
09-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Dr. Z ranked us 10th as well. But he thinks the vikes are the third best team in the country, which is the best curse anyone could place on them.

Vikings DL will blow up the Packers OL...so I still predict a narrow, low scoring victory to the purple. But thank goodness; you gotta play the games :P

MadtownPacker
09-03-2008, 07:38 PM
I am absolutely shocked that BSPN dsoesn't have the N.Y. Bretts #1. Blasphemy I tells ya! :)WHat the fuck does that have to do with anything???? We are talking about the Packers ranking here.

cpk1994
09-04-2008, 12:37 AM
I am absolutely shocked that BSPN dsoesn't have the N.Y. Bretts #1. Blasphemy I tells ya! :)WHat the fuck does that have to do with anything???? We are talking about the Packers ranking here.Can't you see the emoticon? Its a joke. Chill! :wink:

mraynrand
09-04-2008, 12:45 AM
It's OK. I don't think that the ESPN guys have any idea how deep and talented the Packers are. While there is a huge question mark at QB, the Packers are deep and extremely talented at every position except possibly DE maybe DT, and G. That's not bad if you look around the league at the holes some teams have. If Rodgers plays well (plays well; he doesn't have to be great) the Packers are looking at 11 wins. If he's a top ten QB in the league, then the Packers will be as good or better than last year.

Partial
09-04-2008, 12:51 AM
NO, NY, and SEA ahead of us? What is this garbage?

Harlan Huckleby
09-04-2008, 01:35 AM
the packers didn;t look that hot in the preseason. i know, they sucked in the preseason last year too, but still it is going to affect perceptions.

StPaulPackFan
09-04-2008, 06:54 AM
I'm a little surprised that Green Bay would drop two spots after the preseason. Considering that the preseason means absolutely nothing, unless some starters get injured.

Although, I do think ESPN's ranking of Green Bay seems pretty fair considering Rodgers' inexperience. However, if Rodgers does perform at a high level and Green Bay wins early, they will move up near the top. They did last year even though they started considerably lower.

pbmax
09-04-2008, 07:40 AM
That was exactly what was supposed to happen last year. Our O Line is better than we give it credit for sometimes. It can look awful, but these same guys (if Wells should be able to go) won twice versus purple last year.

They also outperformed future Hall Of Famer and President Logan Mankins, et al against the Giants D Line at the end of last year. That may mean they are both mediocre, but few people give our O Line that much credit.

As for rankings, eh. With the exception of the D Line and one guard, I like our roster better than the Vikings.

Vikings DL will blow up the Packers OL...so I still predict a narrow, low scoring victory to the purple. But thank goodness; you gotta play the games :P