PDA

View Full Version : A Watch - Colledge and Spitz Vs. Jet's Ferguson and Mangold

woodbuck27
06-19-2006, 06:06 PM
BY TOM ROCK
Newsday Staff Writer

June 18, 2006

D'Brickashaw Ferguson already had experienced the fun parts of being a first-round pick: the glitzy suits and bright lights of draft day, the glowing testimonials and charming anecdotes about the origin of his unusual name.

This past week, the Freeport product experienced three days of the less-glamorous aspects of his new job: the grueling two-a-day practices and the head-spinning speed of the NFL game when a rookie is dropped into his first minicamp.

"It was definitely a learning experience," Ferguson said. "There were areas I didn't expect, areas I was surprised by, but I'm glad I at least have a taste of what is coming in about a month."

That's when the Jets next convene for the start of training camp July 28. It'll be no surprise to have Ferguson penciled into the starting offensive line when those workouts begin; that's the reason the Jets selected him with the No. 4 pick. But with Trey Teague's apparent broken ankle, Ferguson probably won't be the only rookie among the revamped front five. Center Nick Mangold, also drafted in the first round by the Jets this spring, likely will begin his first NFL camp at the top of the depth chart.

"I like their progress, both guys are working as hard as they can, but at the end of the day, they're rookies," Jets coach Eric Mangini said.

Read between Mangini's lines, and both have a lot to improve upon.

For Ferguson, that includes a better understanding of the playbook with schemes to decipher, techniques to master and philosophies to buy into.

Ferguson called it doing "more than just what is written." Ferguson said there were times during the three-day minicamp when he would look around and notice who else was on the field. "A lot of times you think about the different talent and skill levels of the players you're going against," he said. "In college, the most anyone's going to be is a four-year starter, but here you've got guys who are seven-year starters. You can learn a lot."

One resource will be veteran lineman Pete Kendall, who also is absorbing new data and studying the tweaks and twists that come with a new offensive coordinator. Kendall said he'll help Ferguson and Mangold as much as he is asked to, and his insight could go beyond X's and O's.

Kendall started as a rookie with the Seattle Seahawks in 1996, so he knows how it feels to jump from the college game directly to the NFL trenches.

"To me, I'd rather just go and play," Kendall said. "As overwhelming as it may seem at times, the only way to really learn is experience. You don't fully learn this game until you play it."

For the rookies, the learning began here.

woodbuck27
06-22-2006, 11:49 AM
From the Article:

PROMISING START
Pair of rookies front-runners at guard for the Packers

By TODD ROSIAK and LORI NICKEL
trosiak@journalsentinel.com

Posted: June 21, 2006

Green Bay - The early returns on the Green Bay Packers' 2006 draft have been encouraging at a number of spots.

That's especially true at guard, where second-round pick Daryn Colledge and third-round pick Jason Spitz have helped solidify a position that dogged Green Bay throughout the 2005 season.

Based on what's transpired over the past six weeks they'll enter training camp as the starters on the inside next to center Scott Wells.

Whether they'll remain in that position come the start of the regular season remains to be seen. But the Packers are undoubtedly happy with what they've seen from the duo so far.

"Obviously if they earn the starting position I'm comfortable with them because they've earned that opportunity," said head coach Mike McCarthy on Wednesday. "I've played young guys before; last year we played seven rookies on offense. There obviously is a process you have to go through."

The 6-foot-4, 299-pound Colledge, a Boise State product, was handed the reins at left guard the minute he set foot in Green Bay in early May and has acquitted himself well.

Almost a prototype for what the Packers' coaching staff wants in its offensive linemen - lighter and quicker rather than oversized and reliant on power - Colledge has picked up the team's new zone blocking scheme and shown he can operate out in space.

The 6-4, 313-pound Spitz, meanwhile, replaced Junius Coston on the right side in the second week of Green Bay's four-week run of voluntary practices in June and hasn't faltered.

Like Colledge, he's shown himself to be a better run blocker to this point.

The Louisville product has also helped his cause by displaying an ability to slide over to center - a position that aside from Wells remains somewhat unsettled with second-year man Chris White and free agent Wayne Lucier also competing.

"He picks things up very fast for a young guy," said McCarthy. "I don't recall working with a young guy that has the discipline with his hands on the inside.

"We've had him play two positions, sometimes three, where the other guys were able to settle more into one position."

Partial
06-22-2006, 12:24 PM
all signs point to a really solid oline a few years down the road!

woodbuck27
06-22-2006, 12:38 PM

Hopefully your correct but we certainly will see lots of signs of OUR inexperience with the middle of the OL this season.

The key to any progress we will see as fans with 'the Packers' in the future, rely's most on how soon the young fellas develop. Wells ,White,Colledge, Spitz and Whitticker have to step in there. Maybe someone like Pete Traynor or Josh Bourke will also be in the mix?

RashanGary
06-22-2006, 01:00 PM

I was thinking the same thing a few days ago. Rodgers is going to slide into a good position with great Tackles, Good young gaurds just head into their prime and Greg Jennings as his main weapon. All they really need is a good RB next year and the pieces are in place. Too bad Thompson couldnt' have been here 4 years ago.