PDA

View Full Version : Youngest again?

RashanGary
09-04-2008, 07:22 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=790880
Bob McGinn

RashanGary
09-04-2008, 07:26 AM
The Packers have completely retooled the last couple years. The roster is getting better, deeper adn stronger at the top, but still young. I would expect a slow rise in age over the next couple years, but I don't expect this team to ever be in the top half of the age category. It's funny that losing Favre and Davis barely put a dent in our average age. It had an effect, but a relatively small one and I'd argue the overall experience on the field has gone up with almost all of last years 13-3 starters back for another run and very few of them going over the hill.

One thing that stuck out to me was how few picks the Vikings have picked. It was very similar to the Sherman years when the depth depleated and the end of the season was filled with disaster after disaster due to lack of depth.

I do think we can beat them now, but even if we don't, I think over the course of a long season they will be worn on much harder than our team that has many players who can come in right now and play good, aggressive football.

RashanGary
09-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Next years draft should be interesting. The cost to move up in round 1 slants drastically in the favor of the team moving down IMO. I wouldn't expect Thompson to give up 3 picks (that could all be players) for one (that might not be a player and might slip anyway).

However, starting in late round 2 and beyond I could see Thompson trading up or trading this years picks for a round up in next years draft. Last year I thought there were still plenty of openings at just about every position. After the draft, WR and LB are going to be tough positions to make this club next year and there are so many young guys that could step up even further that other positions like Safety or QB that those positions could be hard to make the team next year as well.

All in all, I think they may have to start trading picks to focus in on the trouble spots like DE, DT, LT and CB. Then again, maybe not. If Ruvell gets preplaced with another Jennings I won't cry and if Tracy White gets replaced with another Hawk I won't cry but at the same time, can 10 picks really make the roster again? It's getting tougher.

Carolina_Packer
09-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Next years draft should be interesting. The cost to move up in round 1 slants drastically in the favor of the team moving down IMO. I wouldn't expect Thompson to give up 3 picks (that could all be players) for one (that might not be a player and might slip anyway).

However, starting in late round 2 and beyond I could see Thompson trading up or trading this years picks for a round up in next years draft. Last year I thought there were still plenty of openings at just about every position. After the draft, WR and LB are going to be tough positions to make this club next year and there are so many young guys that could step up even further that other positions like Safety or QB that those positions could be hard to make the team next year as well.

All in all, I think they may have to start trading picks to focus in on the trouble spots like DE, DT, LT and CB. Then again, maybe not. If Ruvell gets preplaced with another Jennings I won't cry and if Tracy White gets replaced with another Hawk I won't cry but at the same time, can 10 picks really make the roster again? It's getting tougher.

I personally like the approach taken. Pick your spots for veteran talent/leadership, keep the core role players young and developing, instead of having older depth. The more chances a GM gives themself to hit on talent, and the more talent they prove over the years to have as an evaluator, the deeper the team will be and more likely to withstand some injuries without considerable drop-off. The only dice roll I can see is two rookie backup QB's. That's bold.

SnakeLH2006
09-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Being young does have it's consequences though.. :oops:

http://www.motifake.com/index.php?start=667

Jerry Tagge
09-06-2008, 12:29 AM
I didn't know this was another Kool-Aid thread.

MJZiggy
09-06-2008, 06:53 AM
Why not? You shit in the first one...

Fritz
09-06-2008, 08:40 AM
So who's the "old man" of the team now? Would it be Donald Driver?

I wonder if Donald sits in the locker room thinking "What the hell kind of music are these youngins listening to?"

I wonder if he makes a reference to some early nineties cultural event or some music - like if he made a reference to Nirvana - if the young bucks look at him and say "Who?"

I think we need to pitch in and by Driver a corn cob pipe so he can develop that old man's raspy voice and look. He needs to start saying things like "Back when I was a kid..."