PDA

View Full Version : Official Thursday Night Football Opener Thread (NYG vs. WAS)

Pacopete4
09-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Never started one of these that I can remember.. might as well be one that doesn't mean anything.. I kinda want Washington to win tonight though.

Rastak
09-04-2008, 06:09 PM
The hell it don't....it STARTS THE SEASON!

Scott Campbell
09-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Go Portis.

Rastak
09-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Go Portis.

Do I detect a Fantasy Football Weenie?

Incidently, I don't have anyone playing...... :wink:

Pacopete4
09-04-2008, 06:14 PM

I just meant that it wasn't a Packers game.. but Eli looks calm and collected to start.. impressive

Rastak
09-04-2008, 06:15 PM

I just meant that it wasn't a Packers game.. but Eli looks calm and collected to start.. impressive

The world does not revolve around Packer games!

:wink:

Rastak
09-04-2008, 06:24 PM
SMOOOOOOOT!

Good call actually.

Lurker64
09-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Jason Taylor looks pretty old out there, I'm increasingly relieved we didn't go after him.

Rastak
09-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Jason Taylor looks pretty old out there, I'm increasingly relieved we didn't go after him.

He's coming off an injury, it's early yet. But there was risk if you give the guy a 3 year deal. I see no risk in a one year deal.

Lurker64
09-04-2008, 06:33 PM

He's coming off an injury, it's early yet. But there was risk if you give the guy a 3 year deal. I see no risk in a one year deal.

The risk was largely "you had to give up draft picks to get him", as far as I'm concerned.

Rastak
09-04-2008, 06:34 PM

The risk was largely "you had to give up draft picks to get him", as far as I'm concerned.

Yea, unless you have 20 every year!

Jokes aside, what did they give up again?

Lurker64
09-04-2008, 06:35 PM

Second (2009) and a Sixth (2010).

Rastak
09-04-2008, 06:36 PM

Second and a Sixth.

Ouch....yes you are 100% right. Therein lies the risk.

boiga
09-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Brandon Jacobs is a monster. I still wish I understood how neither team had a running game in the NFCC last year.

Rastak
09-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Brandon Jacobs is a monster. I still wish I understood how neither team had a running game in the NFCC last year.

He's a big dude.

Lurker64
09-04-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm wondering how much the switch to the WCO retarded the growth of Jason Campbell as a starting QB, who looked really promising last year but the WCO is a hard offense for a QB to learn. Particularly since it's a significant departure from the what he had been playing under Gibbs.

boiga
09-04-2008, 06:46 PM
I'm wondering how much the switch to the WCO retarded the growth of Jason Campbell as a starting QB, who looked really promising last year but the WCO is a hard offense for a QB to learn. Particularly since it's a significant departure from the what he had been playing under Gibbs.

I think the bigger issue might be that his O-line can't block a fly. He's getting killed out there by the pass rush. Campbell hasn't made any bad decisions or throws yet, he's just had no time and no receiver help.

I've only been watching this last drive, but Campbell seemed capable enough, he's just not been getting any help.

Scott Campbell
09-04-2008, 06:50 PM
FIRE JIM ZORN!

Pacopete4
09-04-2008, 06:51 PM
The NY Giants aren't allowing an offense to do very good... imagine that, damnit Brett SUCKS!

Rastak
09-04-2008, 06:53 PM
The NY Giants aren't allowing an offense to do very good... imagine that, damnit Brett SUCKS!

He isn't playing. The Giants defense isn't what it was last year I don't believe. The Redskins have issues. I suspected that going in to this game.

Scott Campbell
09-04-2008, 06:54 PM

I think the Giants pressure is getting to Campbell. He nearly retired, but then changed his mind.

Pacopete4
09-04-2008, 06:54 PM

He isn't playing. The Giants defense isn't what it was last year I don't believe. The Redskins have issues. I suspected that going in to this game.

I was just being a smartass... the Redskins will struggle switchin to the west coast offense.. it just is not done over night

Lurker64
09-04-2008, 07:00 PM

As a polite request, could you please make an effort to not make everything about Favre? This, for example, has nothing to do with him.

Pacopete4
09-04-2008, 07:01 PM

As a polite request, could you please make an effort to not make everything about Favre? This, for example, has nothing to do with him.

I made one comment Lurker... relax bud it was a joke!... people around here need to loosen up badly... no wonder this forum blows now

Rastak
09-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Nice play by Taylor.....

Scott Campbell
09-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Total Yards
Redskins 16
Giants 226

Rastak
09-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Total Yards
Redskins 16
Giants 226

Asskicking.

Then John "Art" carney nails one.

Pacopete4
09-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Weird thing is.. still only 16-0, not bad if youre a redskin still

Lurker64
09-04-2008, 07:19 PM
This is not a very good game.

Pacopete4
09-04-2008, 07:27 PM
It will be.. 16-7

Rastak
09-04-2008, 07:28 PM
It will be.. 16-7

50 yard returns and phantom penalties do help.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-04-2008, 07:34 PM

I made one comment Lurker... relax bud it was a joke!... people around here need to loosen up badly... no wonder this forum blows now

Interesting...as you made a comment about Scott Campbell and Favre..asking him not making everything about Brett.

Can you say hypocrit?

mmmdk
09-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Redskins feeling their way; Giants picking up from SB win. If Skins can keep G-Men to only FGs in 2nd half then it'll be close. I still see a Giants win.

Rastak
09-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Sure is great to have football back.

boiga
09-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Dull third quarter though.

Guiness
09-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Ya for Campbell completing passes to Antwaan against a prevent D!

(ya, he's on my FF team) :lol:

Packgator
09-04-2008, 10:55 PM
I only watched a quarter or so......but what I saw had the feel of a pre-season game. No energy or excitement.

Zool
09-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Oof that Jacobs run knocking Landry on his ass. I think his family was hurt by that hit.

packers11
09-05-2008, 12:16 AM
wow the Redskins refused to throw the ball in the 58 minutes of the game... what a joke that was on offense...

The play calling was horrible, and the receivers had many easy drops...

The giants on the other hand. They wern't that impressive. That offense is powered by 1 man... Plaxico... I am not sold on Eli Manning, he looked terrible and should have thrown 3-4 INT's if Smoot could actually catch.

The D looked pretty good, but we will see vs a better team... I'm not sold on the Giants yet...

Pacopete4
09-05-2008, 12:24 AM

Interesting...as you made a comment about Scott Campbell and Favre..asking him not making everything about Brett.

Can you say hypocrit?

Ya if you had been around and not been tryin to be a know it all once again you woulda seen that my comment to Campbell was funny and not serious..

Carolina_Packer
09-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Geez, did that seem like a 5th pre-season game or what?

mmmdk
09-05-2008, 08:44 AM
I'll take an ugly win over a loss any day; remember that post Packers-Vikings game.

privatepacker
09-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Was it me or did the Redskin QB only feel comfortable throwing to his right? I looked at some of the replays and he had some guys open, including Cooley, on the left side but never looked their way. I can see this guy failing in the WCO system and hitting the bench. He just needs more seasoning but the regular season isn't the time to learn unless you have already decided its a rebuilding year.

mraynrand
09-05-2008, 09:01 AM
It looks like a coaching change is long overdue in Washington.

mission
09-05-2008, 09:44 AM

It looks like all sorts of coaching changes are needed.

Can't believe they got rid of that D-coord of theirs. He was the only guy decent.

Least Moss got me a TD.

SkinBasket
09-05-2008, 09:50 AM

There's lots of that in week 1.

mraynrand
09-05-2008, 10:13 AM

It looks like all sorts of coaching changes are needed.

Can't believe they got rid of that D-coord of theirs. He was the only guy decent.

Least Moss got me a TD.

Actually I was joking about the coaching. What they really need is to be more aggressive in free agency. Bringing in a coach with proven Superbowl experience might help too, but not as much as say, a great defensive end.

mraynrand
09-05-2008, 10:14 AM

There's lots of that in week 1.

I think for teams like Atlanta, there's going to be a lot of that in week 10.

Guiness
09-05-2008, 10:47 AM
wow the Redskins refused to throw the ball in the 58 minutes of the game... what a joke that was on offense...

The play calling was horrible, and the receivers had many easy drops...

Not as many easy drops as their DB's had.

Eli got away with a couple.

The giants on the other hand. They wern't that impressive. That offense is powered by 1 man... Plaxico... I am not sold on Eli Manning, he looked terrible and should have thrown 3-4 INT's if Smoot could actually catch.

I'd argue it's powered by 2 - Jacobs had a good night.

Pacopete4
09-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Its just the first game.. I seem to remember our 1st game last season being not to pretty either.. I also remember our game against Was and we had to get a funny fumble return to win that game as well..

mraynrand
09-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Its just the first game.. I seem to remember our 1st game last season being not to pretty either.. I also remember our game against Was and we had to get a funny fumble return to win that game as well..

You have a good memory. I remember as a kid getting pop for 25 cents out of machines that had glass bottles behind a vertical glass door. You would put your quarter in, open the door, and then pull the bottle out. There was an opener attached at the side for you convenience. I also remember the AMC Pacer.

Pacopete4
09-05-2008, 11:15 AM
youre talkin 50 yrs ago.. im talkin last season haha, kind a difference there..

mraynrand
09-05-2008, 12:11 PM

Fifty years!?

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/07/08/0824_uglycars/image/1pacer.jpg

"Looked like a fishbowl and those windows leaked. Add a leaky sunroof to it and the car rusted from the inside out!"

"It is a pregnant roller skate."

"Not only UGLY but two different-sized front doors!"

"Human terrarium."

"It had seats designed like blue jeans, including the brass buttons, which burned the crap out of you on a hot day."

"Six feet long, eight feet wide, bicycle tires all around, and 0 to 60 in four-and-a-half hours. What a prize! AMC's only conceivable excuse for this engineering and stylistic horror would be if their 1970s design crew was tripping on massive quantities of acid...and even then...it wouldn't be a good excuse."

swede
09-05-2008, 12:18 PM
At least the Ford Pinto had the decency to explode when you rear-ended it.

Carolina_Packer
09-05-2008, 12:20 PM

Fifty years!?

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/07/08/0824_uglycars/image/1pacer.jpg

"Looked like a fishbowl and those windows leaked. Add a leaky sunroof to it and the car rusted from the inside out!"

"It is a pregnant roller skate."

"Not only UGLY but two different-sized front doors!"

"Human terrarium."

"It had seats designed like blue jeans, including the brass buttons, which burned the crap out of you on a hot day."

"Six feet long, eight feet wide, bicycle tires all around, and 0 to 60 in four-and-a-half hours. What a prize! AMC's only conceivable excuse for this engineering and stylistic horror would be if their 1970s design crew was tripping on massive quantities of acid...and even then...it wouldn't be a good excuse."

Although, you gotta give it up for them when it comes to the Javelin, although it does bear a striking resemblance to the Dodge Charger!

http://www.ridelust.com/car-pictures/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/1968amcjavelin.jpg

One of the funniest things I saw at Wal-Mart recently were die-cast replica cars such as the Pacer, Hornet, Ford Maverick...I mean, what's up with that?