PDA

View Full Version : The NFL's Nonconformist

vince
09-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Decent fluff article about our own Al Harris in today's Wall Street Journal of all places.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122057190730401591.html
TACTICS
The NFL's Nonconformist
By REED ALBERGOTTI
September 5, 2008; Page W4

But while his peers have to make plays within very specific assignments, the Packers have given Harris an unusual gift in the NFL: the freedom to think for himself and play instinctually. If he thinks his receiver's release pattern indicates he will turn around after 15 yards and come back toward the quarterback, he has permission to play accordingly. If he sees a telltale tick or twitch in his receiver's hand that indicates he may be preparing to run deep, he'll back off. And if he thinks he has enough time to break from coverage and try to intercept a pass, he'll go for it. "There's not too many guys out there who play the way I play," he says. "It's almost a lost art."

MJZiggy
09-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Very cool. Speaking of Packer stories in odd places, I got in the car today and the pop radio station was having a discussion on the reception that Aaron Rodgers has gotten from the fans this offseason. The popjocks thought it was very nice that he's gotten the standing O's the last two games. They then went on to gush about J.T. O'Sullivan. I think I may be living in an alternate universe or something...

boiga
09-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Fun article. I really love Al. He makes our D work.

ahaha
09-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Still a good player. I think he was unfairly ripped for his performance in the NFC championship. After watching that game a few times, it seems like he had good coverage on most throws. Eli Manning was incredible with his precision, and Burress was amazing.

DonHutson
09-05-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm really happy this is not a thread about the artist formerly known as Chad Johnson.

SnakeLH2006
09-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Still a good player. I think he was unfairly ripped for his performance in the NFC championship. After watching that game a few times, it seems like he had good coverage on most throws. Eli Manning was incredible with his precision, and Burress was amazing.

Eli is the Paris Hilton of QB's...lucky to be born into a powerful family, and gets the best TMZ shots even as an awkward SOB (rumor has it he's TT's son, but disproven since TT is gay.... :shock:

http://www.bustedplay.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/eli.jpg

BallHawk
09-05-2008, 11:53 PM
(rumor has it he's TT's son, but disproven since TT is gay....) :shock:

It gets old.... :roll:

oregonpackfan
09-06-2008, 12:04 AM
Very cool. Speaking of Packer stories in odd places, I got in the car today and the pop radio station was having a discussion on the reception that Aaron Rodgers has gotten from the fans this offseason. The popjocks thought it was very nice that he's gotten the standing O's the last two games. They then went on to gush about J.T. O'Sullivan. I think I may be living in an alternate universe or something...

People talking about the Packers in Maryland? See, the Packers generate interest in football fans all over the country! :)

SnakeLH2006
09-06-2008, 01:19 AM

It gets old.... I mean I'm gay and all, but TT is not even that hot at 54, give us gay dudes some props man :roll:

Yea it does. It might have been ok in the 80's and 90's but it's 2008, and I don't support TT's gayness. Is that what you are saying? Go give Justin Harrell a backrub or something.

mission
09-06-2008, 01:41 AM

It gets old.... I mean I'm gay and all, but TT is not even that hot at 54, give us gay dudes some props man :roll:

Yea it does. It might have been ok in the 80's and 90's but it's 2008, and I don't support TT's gayness. Is that what you are saying? Go give Justin Harrell a backrub or something.

MOBB DEEP? Gotta be...

SnakeLH2006
09-06-2008, 02:33 AM

MOBB DEEP? Gotta be.. else I dunno where to get a "good rub" outside the SFC.

I have no problems with a good backrub. If...

1) You are a hot chick
2) You are a hot chick
3) You are a hot chick

My only disclaimers are if you are a dude wanting a good rub. :cry:

MJZiggy
09-06-2008, 06:29 AM
That's not even close to funny. And ballhawk is right. Your gay shit gets old.

Fritz
09-06-2008, 08:36 AM

1. You don't know if TT is gay or not. That's just rumors - very seventh grade.

2. And if he were gay, what does it mean to not "support" his being gay? That's like saying you don't "support" someone's race. People who are gay don't sit around and decide at age twelve that they want to be gay so they can face a life of discrimination and ridicule from people like you. Most research shows that most of it is genetic. It's about as much a choice as your ethnicity. Do you not support Al Harris because he's black? Do you not support MJ Ziggy because she's a woman?

mraynrand
09-06-2008, 09:30 AM
http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/geometric/mitigationstrategies/chapter6/images/figure_87.jpg