PDA

View Full Version : GBPG : Pete Dougherty's Chat

motife
06-19-2006, 10:22 PM
Hi everybody, let's going going. Pete Dougherty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dan, Minneapolis: Pete, can you explain the NFL rules concerning a player not being allowed to practice until his class graduates, ala AJ Hawk? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially with juniors allowed to come out early - are early draftees unrestricted in their ability to practice while seniors have to wait until their class graduates? Thanks - I appreciate the effort you guys put in to do these chats.

Pete Dougherty: I can't remember if underclassmen are subject to that rule, though I think they are, because if I remember right, Na'il Diggs also missed much of the June camp and he was a junior entry. It's an NFL rule that says they can't practice until graduation for that year's class, and school's on the quarters system always overlap into June. They can take part in the one post-draft minicamp, then nothing until the graduation (whether they're going to graduate or now, whether they're even enrolled in school or not). It's an NFL rule, and I think it's to help graduation rates for college football coaches, so players have a little more incentive to stay around for their final quarter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dan, Minneapolis: Pete, I see that Luchey signed on with the Texans this week. If Henderson really played so poorly last year, as some have said, why didn't the Packers try to sign him - was it mostly the weight? Or is this a case of the bad-GM Sherman taking one of his problems along for the ride?

Pete Dougherty: Weight and injury and salary were the reasons the Packers let him go, they figured he'd probably get hurt and they'd have to pay him for not playing. I'm not even sure he was witha team all last season. Henderson is inevitably declining but he didn't play that poorly last year.

Andy , Hastings, MN: Hey Pete- When I look at the defensive line of the Vikings, I'm more leery of our 'line by committee' approach. They're lining up Kevin Williams, Erasmus James, Kenechi Udeze, and Pat Williams, and we've got a bunch of guys who haven't played near their potential (with the exception of Kampman, who's overachieved but still isn't a top-tier guy). Is ANYONE standing out so far as someone who may actually become a household name this year, or are Jenkins, Williams, Cole, Peterson, Montgomery, Allen, etc. just going to have to keep running from the bench to the playing field every other down? They always say the battle's won in the trenches, and both are lines are highly suspect right now.

Pete Dougherty: The Vikings have a ton more talent on their D-line, no question. So the Packers have to do it by committee. It's hard to envision anyone becoming a stud on the Packers' line, but maybe Williams makes a noticeable jump, perhaps even Jenkins. More likely, they'll have to hope they get noticeable improvement from several guys that cumulatively makes for a big step forward. That's asking for a lot, but you never know.

Andy, Hastings, MN: Hi Pete, I guess this isn't so much a question as it is a plea for more info on the OTAs on the website. I'm sure there's not anything spectacular going on, but the 'Notebook' section that appears daily simply seems to be a list of who's there, who isn't, and who's hurt. Not much along the lines of what they're doing, who stood out, made progress, etc. And Demovsky's weblog is updated once in a blue moon. Don't they realize the need for blanket coverage for us die-hard fans?! All kidding aside, it'd be nice to read a little more substance, unless they're really not doing anything but exercising and drills. You've got the clout to get it done.

Pete Dougherty: I understand your desire for info, but we're trying to write the meaningful updates in stories and short notes. It's so hard to measure progress in minicamps when there's no pads, hitting or tackling, and always several good players missing. If Ahmad Carroll blanket covers Calvin Russell, does it mean much? We'll do what we can, though there's only two OTA days left after today.

marv, houston: Pete, the Packers don't appear to have any depth at O.T. Moll has only one year at tackle in college,so he is no option. Who has been working with the second unit?

Pete Dougherty: Klemm has been out because of a knee scope from just after the season, but he's probably the backup tackle on both sides. Moll is a project, you're right. Colledge played tackle at Boise State and could move over to left tackle. Will Whitticker is working with the starters with Clifton out, but he's more of a right tackle-type and might be the No. 3 on the right side. If worse came to worse, they probably could play Tauscher at left tackle if need be. It's a potentially thin area, no doubt.

Steven Wells, Nashville, Tn: Pete, thanks for taking my q. Comments from practice seem to indicate that Aaron Rodgers has not been particularly impressive. Quite frankly it appears if Favre is injured the Pack is in big trouble. Doesn't it seem logical and prudent that we should sign or trade for an experienced qb between now and the start of the season?

Pete Dougherty: Not in my book. If Favre gets hurt, the season is wasted anyway, there's no backup veteran out there who's good enough to help this team win many games. Favre still is a top-10 quarterback, and this team might only win four or five games with him, let alone without him. So if he gets hurt, they might as well find out whether Rodgers has long-term starting capabilities. The only way you can find out is playing in real games.

Hank, Winchester ( the real one) WI: What is going on with Woodson ? He acts like he didn't want a contract. If his missing all of the OTA's indicates his attitude toward the team why did they sign him ? Seems like big bucks for an over the hill player , the least he could do is show up. Hank

Pete Dougherty: I'm sure they're not happy he's missing all the workouts, but if anybody can do it, it's probably a veteran cornerback, or a veteran RB, or a veteran D-lineman. The thing that would worry you most is his conditioning, and I don't know what his reputation is there. He's a talented guy, so the big thing is that he's in shape and healthy. I believe McCarthy said Woodson had an overseas vacation planned for June. I'm guessing the Packers knew that when they signed him, and even if they didn't, that wouldn't have been a deal breaker. They need playmakers, and though he's past his prime he's probably going to be one of their most talented players.

John, St. Petersburg, FL: Al Harris continues to flaunt his disatisfaction with his contract by staying away from "voluntary" mini-camp work-outs. Is he A. foolish for playing this game in view of the McKenzie/Walker fiascos, B. Is he correct and justified because management "low-balled" him in his recent contract, or C. McCarthy doesn't command enough respect to bring him in? Or is t a combination?

Pete Dougherty: Good questions, I don't have a definitive answer. His agent makes it sound like he's doing this just to get the Packers' attention so they don't take him for granted, and that he'll report for camp and isn't demanding a contract right now and won't be a distraction or problem. You can't blame this on a lack of respect for McCarthy, it's Harris' living, so he's going to do what he thinks he needs to do no matter who the coach is. The Packers need him, so it's not like they're going to bench him. I wouldn't say he's justified, he signed the contract extension. It's a relatively pain-free way to get the Packers' attention, as long as things don't escalate.

John, St. Petersburg, FL: I've never seen such a casual disregard for team or team mates as being exhibited by our 2006 Green Bay Packers. Is Mike McCarthy such a pitiful disciplinarian, or Ted Thompson a poor assembler of personnel, or are my worries baseless? YES, we all know the camps are "voluntary" but we need to go to war with these guys!

Pete Dougherty: For a team that went 4-12 last year, it's definitely not good that so many guys are missing, and I don't remember so many missing in past years. No doubt, it would have helped if Woodson would have shown up for at least a few practices. But I'm just not sure how big a deal it is. It's meaningful, yes, but in the end, I'm not sure it's a huge deal. If you look at stories about other teams, they have guys missing practices too. Tom Brady missed a couple days to play in a charity golf tournament. The Bears had two or three starters missing camps because they want raises -- Briggs, Vasher and I can't remember the third guy. The June schedule is different than past years, that's part of the reason. Sherman used to use some of the OTAs for rookies only. Maybe we'll get a better sense for how important it is by how the team does this year, and whether McCarthy can get better attendance next year.

Nik, Eden Prairie, MN: Do you think Ferg has a better shot to be the #2 receiver because Gardner hasn't been showing up for camp lately? I heard that the coaches are kind of mad at Rod, so do you think this is Ferguson's chance? Thanks.

Pete Dougherty: It won't hurt Ferguson's chances, that's for sure. Gardner's fighting for a job, so he would have been well served to make all the practices. But he's probably made enough to get a better feel for the offense than he had. Who knows, maybe the Jennings surprises and wins that job.

gene, chicago: Thanks for taking my question. How is Tom Clements shaping up in his role? McCarthy seems to be very handson when it comes to the quarterbacks, and Favre is hardly a young, impressionable rookie....

Pete Dougherty: Hard to know, the assistant coaches except for the coordinators (Sanders on D, Jagodzinski on O, and Stock on ST) are off limits to reporters, so I haven't talked to him. Watching him in practice, he works with the QBs constantly on drills, detail stuff like footwork, etc. McCarthy does a decent amount of the QB coaching during 11-on-11 drills.

kenyan , newark, nj: hi Pete, what's up? I was wondering how V. Leach has looked and if Ben Brown or Noah Herron have a chance to get his spot?

Pete Dougherty: Leach is a pure fullback, whereas Herron a halfback who could play a little fullback, and Brown has been playing both. Leach has had some trouble catching the ball, but he usually stands out when the pads go on -- he'll make some big blocks in the running game, and is a good special-teams player. So that's the thing to watch in exhibition games.

Matt, Bath, PA: Pete, thanks for taking my question. Who has impressed you so far from the offense and defense? Anyone surprising in danger of being out of a job? Thanks.

Pete Dougherty: Jennings looked good early, Colledge looks light on his feet for a big guy, Barnett looks like he's playing fast. As far as guys losing jobs, I don't see any obvious guys. Henderson is getting old but stays in good shape and is a good example in the locker room, so he'd really have to fall off to get cut. B.J. Sander easily could lose the punting job to Ryan, or someone cut by another team.

Matt, Bath, PA: I've heard positive things about Ahmad Carroll in the OTAs. Do you think he has a chance of turning the light on this year?

Pete Dougherty: He looks better overall, no question. I don't know if it will be a big jump for him or maybe gradual improvement. He's still too high strung for my tastes, and I'm not sure he plays the ball very well. But he's played better in coverage than a year ago at this time.

Matt, Bath, PA: What position battles will you be most interested in watching unfold come training camp?

Pete Dougherty: Both guards, strong-side linebacker, halfback.

Ben G., Tulsa, OK: You've been covering the Packers for quite a while. I remember during the mid 80's to mid 90's, it seemed like pro football players got quite a bit bigger and faster than previous decades, but that seems to have slowed down this last decade. Since you are closer to the guys, what have you noticed that is remarkably different over the last 10 years?

Pete Dougherty: They still seem to be getting bigger to me. I'm guessing the majority of offensive linemen are more than 300 pounds, and I'm guessing that wasn't the case 10 years ago. There surely are more 330-plus pounders than there were at that time also. The minimum size standards still are creeping up, from what I've seen. You have to wonder when it's going to stop.

kenyan, newark, new jersey: What are the chances of a verteran off. guard being signed for the right side or is either Spitz or Coston a lock for it?

Pete Dougherty: There's a good chance they'll sign somebody, though not necessarily someone who will beat out both those guys. It could be a security-blanket guy in case both those other two have a tough time when the pads go on.

Ben G., Tulsa, OK: Now that Coach Sherman is comfortable in Houston (except Houston in June is never comfortable) and the dust has settled, are there any plans for you guys to have a "human interest" interview? I think the Packers job was much more than just a coaching stop for him. We got a chance to have a bigger window into his life through his PackersNews column. It seems that you guys also have a better focus on the community ties and family side of the Packers. Moving to the South can be a significant culture shock on any family. In short, a good interview would be able to give us insight into how the change is going for them. People might be frustrated with the drafts, BJ (sucks) Sanders, lack of delegation, 4-12 and 4th and 26. But he was a lifelong Packer fan before he took the job, and he wasn't the only one moving to Houston.

Pete Dougherty: He's avoided interviews with Wisconsin media up to now, so I don't know when he'll finally do it. Don't forget, he was an assistant at Texas A&M for several years, so his family has lived in Texas before. You can rest assured, we'll get him whenever he'll grant us an interview.

Dan, Milwaukee: I keep reading and hearing about A. Rodgers arm strength being improved. On a scale of 1 to 10 where does his arm strength in comparsion to Brett Farve. I know he doesn't have the gunslinging arm Brett has, but how big of a drop off is it?

Pete Dougherty: I'm not an expert on this, but it's a noticeable difference. Rodgers appears to have a decent arm but not a big arm, whereas Favre still has one of the strongest arms in the game. Arm strength is important, but accuracy and decision making are more important. If Rodgers fails, I don't think it will be because of arm strength.

Dan, Milwaukee: Spitz taking over for Coston... Should anyone look anything into it or wait until the pads are on? It could be interesting with 2 rookies protecting Brett again! Could it actually be worse than last year?

Pete Dougherty: Good question. It's hard to take too much out of it until the pads go on, yes. But it's interesting that they made the move. That would be really interesting if two rookies started on the O-line. Yeah, it could make for a rough year, though if either struggles I'd think they'd get him out of there pretty quick.

Steve, Tequesta, FL: Pete, Have you had a chance to talk to or interview Charles Woodson? Is he planning to be on time when training camp starts? Where has he been?? Also, how about Al Harris? Has anybody from your paper or any paper talked with him. What does he want?

Pete Dougherty: Haven't talked to either of them since the first minicamp. I'd be stunned if Woodson isn't at camp on time. Harris wants a contract upgrade either during the season or next offseason.

Kimberly, Sheboygan, Wi: How do you see each team doing in the NFC North?

Pete Dougherty: You have to think the Bears are the team to beat. The Vikings have a talented D-line but you wonder how their QB play will be. Detroit could be OK if it gets better QB play. I'm guessing the Bears are the only division team that will make the playoffs.

Nik, Eden Prairie, MN: How good is Greg Jennings, in your opinion, going to be? Is he starter material? What does he still need to work on? Thanks.

Pete Dougherty: He jumps out at you as a rookie because he gets in and out of cuts quicker than most, and he often snatches the ball when he catches it, which suggests he has good, fast hands. He's a tad on the small side. He's much more advanced than Ferguson was at a similar time. I can't tell you how good he's going to end up, though. No way to know that.

Nik, Eden Prairie, MN: Do you think our offense will be any better this season? If so, what makes you think that it will improve? If not, what is the reason? Thanks.

Pete Dougherty: Probably a little better if either Green or Davenport can play the whole season, simply because the injuries at RB last year made the run game a disaster. But I don't know if there's enough firepower to make much more than a small jump, unless the changes at O-line and in the zone-block running game yield bigger immediate changes than you'd expect.

Nik, Eden Prairie, MN: How has A.J. looked in camp? Has he made any big plays? If you didn't know he was a first-round pick, would you notice him? Thanks.

Pete Dougherty: No big plays from Hawk, but it's hard for LBs in non-pad practices to do much because there's no hitting or tackling. Those are the things they'd do that would jump out at you. Good question about the No. 1 pick thing. Not sure, it's hard to decide, because I do know he's a No. 1. He appears to play fairly fast. He wouldn't leap off the field at you, but as I said, it's almost impossible for an LB to do that until the pads go on and they hit in 11-on-11.

Nik, Eden Prairie, MN: Thanks for taking this question, Mr. Dougherty. What can fans of the Pack do over these next few weeks to stay awake until training camp? Anything interesting going on? What events are the Packers holding that are worth going to? Thanks again.

Pete Dougherty: The World Cup, the NBA championship series, summer, there's plenty to do and watch.

Craig, Cedar Rapids: Hi Pete, Why is it if we want to know what's going on at the OTA's we have to read Cliff Christl's blog? The Press Gazette covers only absences and little more. Dylan Tomlinson mentioned in his last chat he'd love to have a blog at the Press Gazette, but he can't get one. Brad Demovsky has a blog, but had only 3 entries in May and none in June. He's also very defensive about it, writing they're covering the OTA's extensively and I just don't know how to navigate the site. Right. I'm a Premium subscriber and read every article and there's hardly anything on the day to day camp news.

Pete Dougherty: All I can say is, Cliff's only job is to write that blog, whereas we're writing the stories and notebooks for the paper, also. in training camp we'll have more stuff live from practice. Cliff is great at that and has seen 100 times more football than I have, so he probably can impart much of that wisdom from his work. But if you read those things, you also know he has to couch much of what he says because the pads aren't on, and there's only so much you can tell. It also depends on who's doing the notebooks. Some reporters watch practice more carefully and go into more details off practice than others.

Hoosierjohn, Columbia City: Pete, I really think the Defense will be good this year. Far better than last years misleading success. I believe however the key to the season will be if the inner 3 offensive lineman can be solid. Also one of the backs must step up and be consistant all season and someone has to develop into a solid #2 receiver. Do you agree those are the keys and what are prospects that the Packers hit paydirt in those areas and challenge the Bears for the North?

Pete Dougherty: yes, those are as key as anything. Tough to see this team challenging for the division title though. The Bears have a first-rate defense, and if they're healthy at QB should be a little better than last year.