PDA

View Full Version : Question about WR depth/packages.

packers11
09-06-2008, 12:03 PM
I can't remember last year, but did the packers keep 6 WR's??? If James Jones can't play week 1, the packers sometimes go into the 5 WR package 'the fab 5' , but since they only have 5 WR's on the roster this year, is this package completely eliminated if someone gets hurt???

RashanGary
09-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Donald Lee is a pretty good recieving weapon. I'd probably rather have Lee spread out than a guy like Francies, Swain or Quinn.

Losing Jones hurt though. He's a tough dude and has good hands.

red
09-06-2008, 12:16 PM
someone like will blackmon could move to wr in an emergency situation. he was a solid one his senior year

and we usually keep a couple on the ps that could move up if need be

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2008, 12:16 PM

I don't see this. HE has so-so hands and doesn't adjust well to the ball.
He certainly looks tough, he's muscular, but I'm not convinced he is any more than a career #3.

Chevelle2
09-06-2008, 12:17 PM

He certainly looks tough, he's muscular, but I'm not convinced he is any more than a career #3.

The Denver touchdown was an example of fantastic hands.

packers11
09-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Good point JH...

I think Donald Lee is probably better than any 5/6 WR that they try to put out there to make that package work...

I love that package so much because the defense has such a hard time covering, it worked so well last year.

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2008, 12:20 PM

Nah, it was easy catch. Not fumbling after he got smacked in the head showed something, he said later he didn't even know what direction to run, he was so dazed, he heard the cheering and figured he was ok.

RashanGary
09-06-2008, 12:27 PM

We'll see. I like him. One thing I'm not enamoured with is his instincts. I think he's a guy that beats his guy one on one, but maybe not as smart as Jennings, Driver, Martin and maybe Nelson.

Rodgers threw a beautifull pass over the middle. Jones ran through his route, but he should have sat back in the zone a little. Rodgers threw a perfect pass that kept him out of harms way, but Jones didn't adjust to the defense.

I still think he's tough as nails, gets off the line well, creates short area separation with his explosive cuts and breaks, and catches the ball well. He can do a lot of good things IMO. He plays a little like Nelson IMO, but Nelson hasn't shown me any reason to doubt his instincts yet. Ultimately he might be the 3rd WR here, but that might say more about our talent than his lack of talent.

pbmax
09-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Please ignore this, referring to the wrong play.

Chevelle2
09-06-2008, 12:28 PM

Nah, it was easy catch. Not fumbling after he got smacked in the head showed something, he said later he didn't even know what direction to run, he was so dazed, he heard the cheering and figured he was ok.

Last years Denver bomb was a terrible throw, Jones had to reach down to get it.

boiga
09-06-2008, 12:29 PM
This game won't lead itself to many empty backfield 5 wide formations anyways. They'll have to keep someone in to help pass protect most downs because of the vikes tremendous D Line.

Nevertheless, their defensive backs are a liability because they only have one good CB and their starting safety is out for the game. So, our guys should still be able to make some plays.

pbmax
09-06-2008, 12:51 PM
OK, I admit it, I am confused. Are we talking about the Jones catch in preseason this year against the Bengals that I think Harlan refers to? Or last years Denver reg season game when Jones caught the first Packer TD?

Because the Jones catch at Denver last year (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d803be053) was right at his hip.

The preseason catch against the Bengals this year (http://www.nfl.com/videos;jsessionid=3B972C5944DB1842FD26123CD87BEF25 ?videoId=09000d5d80a7ad28) was a double clutch catch. Had he secured it cleanly the first time, he would have had a split second more to adjust and avoid or prepare the oncoming hit. Jones' hands are not his best trait from my vantage point.

boiga
09-06-2008, 01:04 PM
The Packer coaches make a big deal of Jones having big strong. soft hands, but they leave me wondering as well.

I know that he can make some tremendous catches, but his history with fumbles always worries me. Still that's more technique than anything.

Lurker64
09-06-2008, 01:51 PM
We have Finley on the roster, and though he's dangerous down the field and with the ball, his blocking definitely isn't up to snuff for plying TE in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised to see him line up wide in some games. He's essentially another WR now.

Scott Campbell
09-06-2008, 02:11 PM
We have Finley on the roster, and though he's dangerous down the field and with the ball, his blocking definitely isn't up to snuff for plying TE in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised to see him line up wide in some games. He's essentially another WR now.

Hmmm. I'm not expecting Finley to be game day active. He's way too raw.

HarveyWallbangers
09-06-2008, 02:37 PM

I'm pretty sure he'll be active. He's part of a lot of the special teams units.

texaspackerbacker
09-06-2008, 03:20 PM

You beat me to it.

He could line up at wideout, and we could use more two TE sets than usual--with the vaunted Viking D Line. A light 240 or so TE still ought to block better than WRs 30 or 40 pounds lighter.

I really like the symmetry of two deep threat TEs and the D not being able to load up either side against Grant.

It could be Humphrey instead of Finley too--more experience and just a tad less athleticism.

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2008, 10:45 PM
The Packer coaches make a big deal of Jones having big strong. soft hands

this sounds like it came from TT

HarveyWallbangers
09-06-2008, 10:49 PM

:rs:

mraynrand
09-07-2008, 08:46 AM

:rs:

Well, it IS a thread about WR packages.

Scott Campbell
09-09-2008, 11:07 PM

I'm pretty sure he'll be active. He's part of a lot of the special teams units.

By Greg A. Bedard
Monday, Sep 8 2008, 05:01 PM

Green Bay - Welcome to overcast Lambeau Field. The NFL regular season is, finally, here.

Here are some pre-game notes:

* Packers inactive are: QB Brian Brohm (3rd QB), CB Pat Lee, S Charlie Peprah, C Scott Wells, G Josh Sitton, TE Jermichael Finley, WR James Jones, DE Jeremy Thompson.

HarveyWallbangers
09-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Kind of surprised since he said he was on many of the special teams units. We'll see how it goes from here. He's obviously not that important on special teams.

packers11
09-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Donald Lee is a pretty good recieving weapon. I'd probably rather have Lee spread out than a guy like Francies, Swain or Quinn.

Good call...

Guiness
09-11-2008, 12:35 PM
By Greg A. Bedard
Monday, Sep 8 2008, 05:01 PM

Green Bay - Welcome to overcast Lambeau Field. The NFL regular season is, finally, here.

Here are some pre-game notes:

* Packers inactive are: QB Brian Brohm (3rd QB), CB Pat Lee, S Charlie Peprah, C Scott Wells, G Josh Sitton, TE Jermichael Finley, WR James Jones, DE Jeremy Thompson.
I'm guessing short of an injury, Pat Lee won't be active much this year. What's the deal with Peprah though? Is he around for depth? I thought it was ST play that got him aboard; it doesn't seem right that he's not dressing.

boiga
09-11-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm guessing short of an injury, Pat Lee won't be active much this year. What's the deal with Peprah though? Is he around for depth? I thought it was ST play that got him aboard; it doesn't seem right that he's not dressing. He had a minor injury and didn't practice until tuesday, same as Jones.