PDA

View Full Version : Are large balls advantageous?

Harlan Huckleby
09-07-2008, 02:08 PM
I have a friend who is interested in doing some work to strengthen his abs. A couple sites on the internet, which APPEAR to be credible, recommend a large exercise ball as the best way to exercise the torso.

http://www.exerciseequipmentexpert.com/best-ab-machine.html

http://www.buff-arm-exercises.com/equipment.html

Just curious, have any of you tried working out with one of these devils? It sounds convincing. One question I have is how difficult it is - a lot of theoretically great exercise techniques only work if you are already in great shape, otherwise you just throw out your back. (I hate to bad-mouth anybody, but this friend of mine is kind of a fat slob.)

cpk1994
09-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Im gonna let someone else make the joke.

red
09-07-2008, 03:47 PM
i have one

i've only used it a few times tough, but you can definatley feel that its doing something

my dog loves playing with it though

mraynrand
09-07-2008, 03:54 PM
This reminds me of the contest to come up with a new slogan for Menards:

1) Nothing is bigger than Menards
2) You can't lick Menards
3) Don't mess with Menards
4) No one beats Menards

etc.

Joemailman
09-07-2008, 03:58 PM
This thread sucks.

Jimx29
09-07-2008, 06:12 PM
can't put 3" balls in 2" holes

texaspackerbacker
09-07-2008, 08:55 PM
i have one

i've only used it a few times tough, but you can definatley feel that its doing something

my dog loves playing with it though

One ball? That explains a lot. Don't let the dog get the other one.

Harlan Huckleby
09-07-2008, 10:18 PM
i've only used it a few times tough, but you can definitely feel that its doing something

I think home exercise equipment in general is the biggest waste of money ever invented. I can definitely identify with your "used it a few times" experience. A few years ago, I invested about $1000 in a stepper machine. It was pretty good, I used it a bit. But then I tried an excellent eliptical machine at a health club and never touched the old girl again.

Health clubs are expensive, but there is a social element, and their equipment rocks. HCs are a good value if you use them regularly.

So I risked $75 on a big ball of joy. I'm going to allow myself a full week grace period after it arrives to simply admire it , and then we find out what I'm really made of.

sheepshead
09-08-2008, 07:28 AM
Ask someone who feels them on their chin.