PDA

View Full Version : Tom Brady out for the year

Rastak
09-07-2008, 06:40 PM
From PFT.com

REPORT: BRADY OUT FOR THE YEAR WITH TORN ACL
Posted by Mike Florio on September 7, 2008, 7:28 p.m.
Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports reports that Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is expected to miss the rest of the 2008 season with a “severe injury to his left knee.”

The injury is widely believed to be a torn ACL. Silver says that there could be other ligament and cartilage damage.

“It’s bad,” a team source told Silver. “We’re going to have to play without him.”

The starter will be Matt Cassel. Unless the Pats bring back Vinny Testaverde. Or Doug Flutie. Or Steve Grogan.

UPDATE: Silver’s report has been updated — the ACL tear is confirmed.

Jimx29
09-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Damn......as much as I don't care for the patriots as a whole, ya gotta feel bad for the guy

BallHawk
09-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Holy shit. Holy shit. Like, seriously. HOLY SHIT.

mmmdk
09-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Cruel.

Pacopete4
09-07-2008, 06:51 PM
J-E-T-S..... BRETT BRETT BRETT!!!!! :lol:

BallHawk
09-07-2008, 06:53 PM

Show some class. :roll:

Jimx29
09-07-2008, 06:53 PM
one of the replies:

Somewhere in Minnesota, Daunte Caulpepper just turned in his McDonalds’ uniform.

b bulldog
09-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Injuries are part of the game.

Pacopete4
09-07-2008, 06:58 PM

What the hell are you talking about? The injury just means the Brett and the Jets are probably the division winners.. so eat shit

BallHawk
09-07-2008, 06:59 PM

What the hell are you talking about? The injury just means the Brett and the Jets are probably the division winners.. so eat shit

You've gotta be kidding me. When you think people can't sink any lower you get this.

b bulldog
09-07-2008, 07:01 PM
SB loser always has troubles

Pacopete4
09-07-2008, 07:01 PM

You've gotta be kidding me. When you think people can't sink any lower you get this.

your the one I hope is kidding... injuries happen.. his ACL will be fine in a year.. so sorry that I wanna see Brett do well.. I didn't root for him to get hurt but now that he has, so what? Just helps Brett's chances.. so shut the hell up

Chevelle2
09-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Brady is such a pretty boy diva...I can't say Im glad, but I don't particularly care.

Tony Oday
I'm not sad he is out. I do not like it when people get injured but karma is a biatch. Not for Brady thats for sure he seems like a stand up guy but for good ole Bill.

Sorry Brady come back stronger next year. BB you are still an arse.

Chevelle2

your the one I hope is kidding... injuries happen.. his ACL will be fine in a year.. so sorry that I wanna see Brett do well.. I didn't root for him to get hurt but now that he has, so what? Just helps Brett's chances.. so shut the hell up

You are happy Brady is hurt because of your own selfish interests.....douchebag

lod01
09-07-2008, 07:04 PM
The Madden double reverse, inverted curse strikes. Go Favre!!!!

Pacopete4
09-07-2008, 07:04 PM
haha.. I just dont care that he's hurt.. big F'in deal.. my god, you guys act like hes dead

bobblehead
09-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Now we can find out just how good of a coach BB really is.

bobblehead
09-07-2008, 07:07 PM

why would you expect that now??

Chevelle2
09-07-2008, 07:08 PM

We found that out last year in the SB when they werent cheating for the first time in his tenure.

Lurker64
09-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Two things. It seems to me that this has to be just a rumor. After the trauma that knee suffered, there's got to be too much swelling to be able to make a diagnosis anywhere near as accurate as "an ACL tear". I agree that a diagnosis such as "it's bad" is certainly possible at this point, but in terms of pointing to the specific ligament? That's almost certainly speculation (whether it's by doctors and team officials or not) at this point. They'll know tomorrow when the swelling is down and they have a chance to take the MRI. My guess is that some doctor somewhere said "it's probably an ACL tear" or "it's possibly an ACL tear" and that got inflated in the heat of the moment and by word of mouth. There's a reason though that they didn't take an MRI today, and it's not "Bob Kraft can't afford to have an MRI done on Sunday."

Secondly, it will be interesting to see this as a case study of "a key injury cake a superbowl favorite out of contention in a snap."

Anyway, go Bills!

MJZiggy
09-07-2008, 07:13 PM

I was thinking that exact same thing...

Bretsky
09-07-2008, 07:15 PM

His backup is a former late round draft pick; I'd say BB would be doing an outstanding job if they finished with eight to nine wins.

That would have been equivalent to judging a Packer coach with Nall as the backup QB who we had to rely on to start all year

Pacopete4
09-07-2008, 07:16 PM

His backup is a former late round draft pick; I'd say BB would be doing an outstanding job if they finished with eight to nine wins.

That would have been equivalent to judging a Packer coach with Nall as the backup QB who we had to rely on to start all year

Wasn't Brady a late round draft pick?...

Cheesehead Craig
09-07-2008, 07:19 PM
The Patriots chances of winning the divison or making the playoffs took a huge hit. Buffalo, IMO becomes the clear favorite to win the division.

red
09-07-2008, 07:19 PM
is this the biggest injury ever?

i mean, defending mvp, and leader of the super bowl favorites, lost for the season in the first half of the first game

wow

Bretsky
09-07-2008, 07:20 PM

Wasn't Brady a late round draft pick?...

Yes he was, but right now you are replacing the best QB in the game with a sixth round pick as opposed to an aging Drew Bledsoe. And Brady was rising as opposed to Cassel being forced into action

gbgary
09-07-2008, 07:20 PM
:shock: very bad news for brady. on a positive note...it's another year without a sb ring for moss. :oops:

Brando19
09-07-2008, 07:21 PM
I'd say the Jets are the clear favorites to win this division now. Honestly, I hate to see anyone get hurt, especially a man of Brady's caliber, but I don't really care. Brady's a douche in my opinion, but it sucks for his team.

gbgary
09-07-2008, 07:23 PM
I'd say the Jets are the clear favorites to win this division now. Honestly, I hate to see anyone get hurt, especially a man of Brady's caliber, but I don't really care. Brady's a douche in my opinion, but it sucks for his team.

and that equals a better draft pick for the Pack.

mmmdk
09-07-2008, 07:25 PM
The Madden double reverse, inverted curse strikes. Go Favre!!!!

Madden curse? Will be on Packers or Favre; the former due to debacle / uniform & latter follows the player. All weird speculation; not to be taken too seriously...and there's no evil agenda hidden in this post.

Lurker64
I'd say the Jets are the clear favorites to win this division now.

The Bills are a better team than the Jets, even with Favre. Somehow, nobody seems to realize this.

This does, however, give the Jets a better chance at making the playoffs, but the wild card is the best they can hope for.

Pacopete4
With Brady hurt, and Manning being unknown how his knee will hold, and the chargers banged up and strugglin... I'd say the AFC is wide open for anyone this season..

Pacopete4
09-07-2008, 07:26 PM

The Bills are a better team than the Jets, even with Favre. Somehow, nobody seems to realize this.

I think its too early to tell IMO.. the dynamics changed too much in the offseason with NYJ getting some key veterans

The Gunshooter
09-07-2008, 07:29 PM
I would guess this means the end of NE's dynasty.

DannoMac21

Shut the fuck up.

BallHawk

This does, however, give the Jets a better chance at making the playoffs, but the wild card is the best they can hope for.

I've always been big on the Bills. Before the season I said that they'd challenge the Patriots, even with Brady. Not win the division, but at least be breathing down their neck. The Bills have a good QB, an great RB, a great WR in Lee Evans and a solid group of other WRs and a good defense. I can see them winning 11 games and taking the division.

The Jets are not favorites, not at all. This makes them more competitive, but not favorites. They are still a borderline wild card team.

BallHawk
09-07-2008, 07:35 PM
With Brady hurt, and Manning being unknown how his knee will hold, and the chargers banged up and strugglin... I'd say the AFC is wide open for anyone this season..

Manning is Manning. He'll be out there throwing TDs, best QB in the AFC. The Chargers always come slow out of the gate. Remember last year? Chargers started 1-3. That's just their thing.

Brando19
09-07-2008, 07:39 PM

Right now...this early in the season...that's an opinion. You have yours, I have mine. When the season's over, we'll know who was better, the Bills or the Jets. I honestly believe the Jets will have a better record than the Bills. And honestly...I wouldn't count the Patriots out just yet. They could sign a FA, make a trade, or go with their backup and suprise some people.

BF4MVP
09-07-2008, 07:41 PM
The Bills have a an great RB
Dang, I never would have thought I'd see BallHawk call Marshawn Lynch a great RB :shock: :lol:

mraynrand
09-07-2008, 07:43 PM
I can't believe someone who likes watching Favre play would want to see him play a Brady-less Patriot team. A fan who really enjoys pro football wants to the see the best play the best. I 'm totally disappointed to NOT get to see Brady vs. Favre. I feel cheated out of great football.

BTW, an ACL repair really takes two years for a full recovery.

Partial
09-07-2008, 07:47 PM

Isn't that really F'ing early to speculate?

Lurker64
09-07-2008, 07:47 PM

Generally, but considering that "mobility is not a huge part of Tom Brady's game" he'll probably be back next year at some point, just not able to run as well as he could have say, yesterday.

Zool
09-07-2008, 07:50 PM

Generally, but considering that "mobility is not a huge part of Tom Brady's game" he'll probably be back next year at some point, just not able to run as well as he could have say, yesterday.

Its more the mental side of it. Its always on your mind for the longest time. Always being favored. Thats the hardest part to get past.

texaspackerbacker
09-07-2008, 08:02 PM
No Comment--the Thumper Rule.

packinpatland
09-07-2008, 08:16 PM
[quote="mraynrand"]I can't believe someone who likes watching Favre play would want to see him play a Brady-less Patriot team. A fan who really enjoys pro football wants to the see the best play the best. I 'm totally disappointed to NOT get to see Brady vs. Favre. I feel cheated out of great football."

Living here in NE........Pat fans sure weren't bothered much when Favre got hurt two seasons ago at Lambeau.

pack4to84
09-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Super Bowl losers have a history of not making the Playoff the next season. I torn my ACL got back up and played, but threw 2 INTs then that was it. I had the surgery and it takes 2 years for full recovery. The doctor pulled on my leg too see if it was loose then he told me I torn my ACL. He told me we would know for sure with an MRI. MRI confirmed ACL was torn. Said all this to show the doctor is saying he thinks its and ACL, MRI should confirm it tomorrow. He is done.

Packers4Ever
09-07-2008, 08:21 PM

Maybe QB's will have bad luck all season if they are injured on opening day? :roll: What's so upsetting? Unfortunate, yes, but upsetting?
Now if it was the Jet's QB.........

Badgerinmaine
09-07-2008, 08:26 PM
I can't believe someone who likes watching Favre play would want to see him play a Brady-less Patriot team. A fan who really enjoys pro football wants to the see the best play the best. I 'm totally disappointed to NOT get to see Brady vs. Favre. I feel cheated out of great football.

I think there is a lot to be said for this perspective. As the saying goes, "to be the best, you've got to beat the best". There is an argument to be made that Tom Brady is a Hall of Famer already on what he's accomplished so far, and on a certain level I want someone with that level of talent around and healthy to show what he could do. It doesn't matter, for example, that Gale Sayers played for the Bears--losing his brilliant career to a blown knee was a real loss to the NFL and was a real shame.

I also think there is something to be said for having empathy for anybody facing the loss of their livelihood because of injury or illness. As I get older, I see more and more cases of people whose lives or careers are shattered or compromised by having to deal with maladies beyond their control. We shouldn't look at people, including successful athletes, as though they were Strat-O-Matic cards.

Badgerinmaine
09-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Living here in NE........Pat fans sure weren't bothered much when Favre got hurt two seasons ago at Lambeau.

I'm not denying what you saw, but
1. that wasn't the experience I had here in Maine at all
and 2. even if they did, we're better than that.

SkinBasket
09-07-2008, 08:29 PM
It's a damn fucking shame people hate on a guy because he's prettier than they are, despite their achievements.

Yes, you Paco you pathetic little crust.

Brando19
09-07-2008, 08:33 PM
It's a damn fucking shame people hate on a guy because he's prettier than they are, despite their achievements.

Hey...if you like men...that's cool...it's your business to use a word like "pretty" to describe Brady. I ain't hating on Brady, I do hate that he's hurt, but I won't lose sleep because he's out the year.

falco
09-07-2008, 08:42 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap:

falco
09-07-2008, 08:43 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap:

GBRulz
09-07-2008, 08:54 PM
It will be interesting to see how the team fairs without him. Cassell still has Moss to throw the jump balls to...NE should be in the playoff hunt.

Badgerinmaine
09-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Cassell's been around there the past few years, too. I think even without Brady, the Pats are a dangerous team.

Pacopete4
09-07-2008, 09:02 PM

Where did I hate on Brady? I haven't said a bad thing about the guy.. all I said is its cool with me cuz it gives the Jets a better chance of winning that division.. I don't really care if he's hurt, he has his millions upon millions of dollars.. there is no need to feel bad for him, ya tough break but there were a lot more injuries that occurred today and I don't see you guys making such a fuss over those..

Bretsky
09-07-2008, 09:03 PM

I've always been big on the Bills. Before the season I said that they'd challenge the Patriots, even with Brady. Not win the division, but at least be breathing down their neck. The Bills have a good QB, an great RB, a great WR in Lee Evans and a solid group of other WRs and a good defense. I can see them winning 11 games and taking the division.

The Jets are not favorites, not at all. This makes them more competitive, but not favorites. They are still a borderline wild card team.

good call :wink:

Jimx29
09-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Sure hope the pats don't "move on" during his recovery

Brando19
09-07-2008, 09:07 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pacopete4
09-07-2008, 09:09 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

haha as funny as that is.. if whoever said it takes 2 years to recover from this injury is right.. they may find another QB during that time and then what do they do?... not as far fetched as one would think

pack4to84
09-07-2008, 09:10 PM

Yes, you Paco you pathetic little crust.sound to me like a guy who wasted there 1st pick in fantasy football on Brady.

Pacopete4
09-07-2008, 09:13 PM

Yes, you Paco you pathetic little crust.sound to me like a guy who wasted there 1st pick in fantasy football on Brady.

as good as Romo, Brees, Manning, and Brady are... I've never tried to take one in the top 2 rounds... just not worth it when you need very good RB's

Freak Out
09-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Has this even been confirmed yet? I saw nothing that said he was done for the year.

Brando19
09-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Has this even been confirmed yet? I saw nothing that said he was done for the year.

Go to nfl.com. Schefter is reporting it there.

Bretsky
09-07-2008, 09:21 PM

MRI tomorrow; nothing confirmed

Plenty of sources confirming it's probable

Joemailman
09-07-2008, 09:22 PM

They won't. They don't have Arod. :lol:

pack4to84
09-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Brady suffered a serious knee injury against the Chiefs that will end his 2008 season, reports NFL Network’s Adam Schefter.

Meanwhile, free-agent quarterback Chris Simms is scheduled to arrive in New England Monday morning for a workout and a physical, Schefter reports. If all goes well, Simms could be a Patriot by the end of the day. Kansas City and Tennessee, each of whom had quarterbacks suffer significant injuries on Sunday, also have contacted Simms.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80a95089&template=with-video&confirm=true
If there going to bring in Simms they know its serious.

SkinBasket
09-07-2008, 09:28 PM

Yeah, I have Brady on my fantasy team. And that also has nothing to do with this. Finding any kind of humor or benefit in the injury of one of the game's top players just because he's someone you'll never be is pathetic.

Zool
09-07-2008, 09:40 PM

Yeah, I have Brady on my fantasy team. And that also has nothing to do with this. Finding any kind of humor or benefit in the injury of one of the game's top players just because he's someone you'll never be is pathetic.

I'll never be you but I'd pay $6.89 to watch you get kicked in the junk. Is that the same thing?

texaspackerbacker
09-07-2008, 09:52 PM
They supposedly are bringing in Chris Simms for a look. With him or just with Cassell, I'd still pick them over the Jets--make that a prediction for next week as well as for the season.

pack4to84
09-07-2008, 09:52 PM

I'll never be you but I'd pay $6.89 to watch you get kicked in the junk. Is that the same thing?how about that punter in the Jets game. He was warming up on the sideline when he turn to watch the next play and the guy snapped it and it hit him right in the ????. They showed a little bit later one of his teammate asked him and you could read the punters lips "that hurt".

esoxx
09-07-2008, 09:53 PM
It seems to me that this has to be just a rumor. After the trauma that knee suffered, there's got to be too much swelling to be able to make a diagnosis anywhere near as accurate as "an ACL tear". I agree that a diagnosis such as "it's bad" is certainly possible at this point, but in terms of pointing to the specific ligament? That's almost certainly speculation (whether it's by doctors and team officials or not) at this point. They'll know tomorrow when the swelling is down and they have a chance to take the MRI.

Actually, a Lachman test can determine ACL injury (see tear).

Of course they would do the MRI just to confirm and make sure there isn't collateral damage (sometimes you'll see a bone chip from the patella).

The diagnosis can be made w/o imaging study with reasonable certainity.

mission
09-07-2008, 11:21 PM
I'm one of the biggest assholes on this forum and when I read the news, I was first surprised, but then I just felt downright bad for the dude. If you are actually riled up for this news then you aren't a prick (can't be), you just have downright character flaws.

An offseason for a QB involves so much time just hangin with your offense, building relationships, getting excited for the upcoming season, throwing up together running in august... all that shit. every single day -- all day.

man, the first quarter... of the first game ...

ill always be a QB at heart and tbh, news like this kinda breaks it ... i feel for the guy. i hate the pats as much as anybody but brady has always been a consummate professional. it's too bad.

i'd rather just see a team get BEAT then have them lose a key player like this so early in the year

packers11
09-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Kind of pissed to see him go out week 1 because now I have to hear every excuse from the patriots fans until next year...

O well... :roll: I won't lose any sleep.

VegasPackFan
09-07-2008, 11:43 PM
I have torn my ACL twice and i can tell you that the MRI is only a confirmation of what they already know. WHen they put the leg at a 45 degree angle and pull on the lower part (the calf), the whole joint will move forward, and that my friend means you are toast and have min 9 months to go through pain and rehab.

Brady is done. Too bad, but lets all remember that the Pack gets a pick based on the success of the NYJ's this year. So it appears that Favre continues to live the charmed life. He will most likely take the NYJ's into the playoffs.

pbmax
09-07-2008, 11:49 PM
If its an ACL, he will be starting again next year. While it may take up to two years to be full confident in the knee, he isn't playing DE, WR, or CB. He needs to make movements in short areas without tremendous changes in direction. As long as he can land on the leg (it was his left, correct?) in his follow through, he will be playing in 2009.

TheCheese
09-08-2008, 12:03 AM
This sucks. I don't like Brady just like the next guy but you never want to see a one of the best players in the league go down to injury. It makes things more interesting when all the best players are duking it out. I sure as hell would rather face the Patriots with Brady otherwise it would be a hollow victory without him.

Rastak
09-08-2008, 05:53 AM
I have torn my ACL twice and i can tell you that the MRI is only a confirmation of what they already know. WHen they put the leg at a 45 degree angle and pull on the lower part (the calf), the whole joint will move forward, and that my friend means you are toast and have min 9 months to go through pain and rehab.

Brady is done. Too bad, but lets all remember that the Pack gets a pick based on the success of the NYJ's this year. So it appears that Favre continues to live the charmed life. He will most likely take the NYJ's into the playoffs.

I was going to post this last night. I tore the mcl in my elbow and the orthopedist knew immediately when he moved my arm in a certain direction. The MRI just reveals to what extent.

Badgerinmaine
09-08-2008, 06:26 AM
They supposedly are bringing in Chris Simms for a look.

I saw last night they're not alone, either; the Chiefs also plan to bring in Simms for a look.

MJZiggy
09-08-2008, 06:30 AM
If its an ACL, he will be starting again next year. While it may take up to two years to be full confident in the knee, he isn't playing DE, WR, or CB. He needs to make movements in short areas without tremendous changes in direction. As long as he can land on the leg (it was his left, correct?) in his follow through, he will be playing in 2009.

I wonder if he'll be one of those guys who sees ghosts of guys coming at his knees...

MadtownPacker
09-08-2008, 07:49 AM
I would guess this means the end of NE's dynasty.Thats my thought as well. Look at Carson Palmer, he hasn't been the same since that playoff game where his knee got jacked. Too bad for brady. I wanted to see him fail on the field not on the sidelines.

Somewhere a supermodel is crying.

SkinBasket
09-08-2008, 08:01 AM

I'll never be you but I'd pay $6.89 to watch you get kicked in the junk. Is that the same thing?

Tell you what Zool, because you're like a little girl, I'll let you lick my junk for $6.25. I'm only giving you a discount because Mad says you have an unusually long tongue.

Zool
09-08-2008, 08:06 AM
Tell you what Zool, because you're like a little girl, I'll let you lick my junk for $6.25. I'm only giving you a discount because Mad says you have an unusually long tongue.

Sounds like a good deal for me. BTW I love your new ride.

http://static.pyzam.com/img/funnypics/misc/free_candy_van.jpg

SkinBasket
09-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Yeah, the minivan with the windows painted over was getting a little small.

cpk1994
09-08-2008, 11:10 AM

What the hell are you talking about? The injury just means the Brett and the Jets are probably the division winners.. so eat shitCongratulations, you just proved BallHawks point.

sheepshead
09-08-2008, 12:09 PM
ok, i didnt read every post but..

WHAT'S WITH THE TOM BRADY OBSESSION????

retailguy
09-08-2008, 12:11 PM

There is a moratorium on new Favre threads. He's the next best thing.

mraynrand
09-08-2008, 12:12 PM

What the hell are you talking about? The injury just means the Brett and the Jets are probably the division winners.. so eat shitCongratulations, you just proved BallHawks point.

You know, now that I think about it, I hope every player in the NFL dies of food poisoning or herpes, except Favre. Then he collects the MVP award and another Super Bowl. Yay, Favre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

red
09-08-2008, 03:36 PM
its official

the pats placed him on IR, he's done for the year

Freak Out
09-08-2008, 03:52 PM

You know, now that I think about it, I hope every player in the NFL dies of food poisoning or herpes, except Favre. Then he collects the MVP award and another Super Bowl. Yay, Favre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noted.

Partial
09-08-2008, 04:21 PM
That sucks.

Part of me feels that karma is a bitch.

SkinBasket
09-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Part of me feels that karma is a bitch.

Karma for what?

I think I have a good idea what part of you you're feeling and it's not "karma."

Rastak
09-08-2008, 05:37 PM

I think when the league's MVP, and the QB of a team that went undefeated in the regular season last year goes down for the whole year in the first of game one, it's big news. Do you disagree?

Guiness
09-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Anyone else see Pete Prisco's article that essentially says the Pats are screwed, and they did it to themselves because they relied on a star passer?

So what is a team that gets a franchise QB supposed to do? Trade him away for fear that he'll win them too many games?