PDA

View Full Version : Interior Oline

Harlan Huckleby
09-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Looks like the starters tonight will be Colledge - Spitz - Moll.

mission
09-08-2008, 09:03 AM
what you meant to say is "we're fucked" right?

lol jp, i hope im wrong... man, it's got me worried tho... hopefully colledge leaves his bullfighting tendencies at home

Harlan Huckleby
09-08-2008, 09:07 AM
actually, I don't have strong opinions about any of those guys. I really have no idea how good Moll is. I have a hunch Colledge is going to come around, but that is based on wishful thinking. I like Wells better as a backup just because he sometimes gets pushed back.

mission
09-08-2008, 09:10 AM
i dont claim to really have a definitive stance on them either ... who knows, they've surprised before. it's just one of those feelings in the stomach things -- hope it's the same wrong stomach feeling that told me to walk into my condo with a room full of cops in there.

wrong move.

:lol:

Harlan Huckleby
09-08-2008, 09:11 AM
i dont claim to really have a definitive stance on them either ... who knows, they've surprised before. it's just one of those feelings in the stomach things -- hope it's the same wrong stomach feeling that told me to walk into my condo with a room full of cops in there.

wrong move.

were you on Dateline with Chris Hansen?

edit: never mind, I see it was YOUR condo

mission
09-08-2008, 09:14 AM

wrong move.

were you on Dateline with Chris Hansen?

edit: never mind, I see it was YOUR condo

Yeah, for 8 days.

Needless to say, the "homeowners association" ended up revoking my approval.
http://www.twelveatlanticstation.com/index.html

What a shame... beautiful place..

LOL :?

Tony Oday
09-08-2008, 09:16 AM
I should have said other ;)

Flannigan-Winters-Whale

hehe just kidding!

I like Spitz, Sutton and Wells. These guys seem nasty enough to go bear hunting with really small sticks!

BF4MVP
09-08-2008, 09:26 AM
I voted Colledge-Wells-Spitz..They really improved as last season went on..Grant saved our running game, but I think some credit has to go to improved run blocking..And the pass blocking was good pretty much the whole season..

Add to that the fact that I have seen absolutely nothing from Josh Sitton thus far, and Colledge-Wells-Spitz is my starting interior O-Line..

Carolina_Packer
09-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Hard to judge anyone from pre-season when they couldn't play healthy as a group. If you have a "trunk" injury (do they mean his butt or his torso?) it's probably hard to hold the point of attack.

I voted for Sitton, Wells and Spitz. If Colledge plays well enough to keep his job, fine by me. Nobody likes starting a guy by default, but this is a real opportunity for him to prove the nay-sayers wrong and to grab his career by the balls.

Harlan Huckleby
09-08-2008, 09:43 AM
I see some people are choosing "other". What other possibilities are there? I suppose Moll could keep the job at RG.

HarveyWallbangers
09-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Spitz-Wells-Sitton

I'm going with this because this appears to be what the coaches would prefer.

pbmax
09-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Other: Barbre-Spitz-Sitton. Second choice: Colledge-Spitz-Sitton

One thing, the endtimes article by Silverstein today in JSO on the OLine is really over the top. We all know that the interior has struggled at times and playing horrendously occasionally. But this isn't the last chance to stop the offense from going over the cliff.

Overall, they improved enough last year to be the 2nd ranked offense and have a very effective running game most of the time. They are not elite run blockers and struggled against the Bears and Cowboys, but that doesn't make them horrific. They also ran wild on the Vikings at Lambeau.

Favre generally had time and Grant usually found holes to run through. The baseline for the line last year had to be at least average. The question of whether they can improve past that is legitimate.

The interior may be the weakest segment of the team. But on a NFC Championship contender, that probably makes them serviceable, not worst in the league.

Harlan Huckleby
09-08-2008, 09:47 AM
I agree pbmax, they will be OK. I'm FAR more worried about the defensive line.

pbmax
09-08-2008, 09:48 AM
For instance, I am far more worried about our pass rush and getting off the field on 3rd down than I am about the interior O Line. Unless KGB survives the season at his level of last year (prior to injury) or Hunter can do to the opposing starters what he did to the 2nd stringers in the preseason, then there is far less upside here than on the O Line.

boiga
09-08-2008, 10:01 AM
For instance, I am far more worried about our pass rush and getting off the field on 3rd down than I am about the interior O Line. Unless KGB survives the season at his level of last year (prior to injury) or Hunter can do to the opposing starters what he did to the 2nd stringers in the preseason, then there is far less upside here than on the O Line.

I actually think that our pass rush will be one of our most intriguing elements this year. What I think occurred is that our coaching staff realized that we no longer have the personnel to expect consistent pass rush from our interior defensive linemen. So, we're going to end up blitzing LB's considerably more than we had in the past. We Hawk, Poppy, and Barnett all have the skill and speed to make it to the QB from that 2-4 nickle set, so I see using that more frequently if KGB can't stay healthy.

In regards to the O-Line, I like Colledge Wells Spitz. Darryn hasn't been the turnstyle in this preseason that he was last year. His weight training in the offseason has shown up on the field. Wells and Spitz are both gamers, and deserve to play if healthy. Sitton is a project. He could be awesome next year, but needs to work on his technique and fitness. I'm actually more comfortable with Moll dealing with the Vikings today than I would have been with Sitton. Moll at least knows what he is getting into.

HarveyWallbangers
09-08-2008, 10:47 AM
I actually have some hopes for Jason Hunter and Mike Montgomery. Hunter seems to be blossoming a bit like KGB did, and he has incredible athletic ability. I wouldn't be shocked if he brings to the team what Keith McKenzie brought about a decade ago. Maybe not 8 sacks/year, but I think he can give us a handful of sacks.

Zool
09-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Spitz-Wells-Sitton

I recall Spitz playing like shit at LG sometime during the preseason. Cant find it right now.

Carolina_Packer
09-08-2008, 10:58 AM
I actually have some hopes for Jason Hunter and Mike Montgomery. Hunter seems to be blossoming a bit like KGB did, and he has incredible athletic ability. I wouldn't be shocked if he brings to the team what Keith McKenzie brought about a decade ago. Maybe not 8 sacks/year, but I think he can give us a handful of sacks.

I totally see that comparison. Let's hope he doesn't flame out as fast. I live in NC, so I saw him a bit with App State, and while 1AA, ability is ability, and if you do enough right things, you can make the next level. That kid was a beast in college, and athletic. If Mike Montgomery can step up, what a bonus. I think the biggest question mark as far as where does he go from here is Colin Cole. It's time for that guy to step up and seize the situation, but if he's overmatched and maxed out on his abilities for the pros, then he shouldn't be there anyway. There are plenty of people who can fill space.

Is there anyone else in the DT depth that has any intrigue as far as development? As for DE, I've heard it said that they are somewhat disappointed with Jeremy Thompson's development, but that said, he is a rookie. That's the issue with having a young team. It's good for energy and stamina, but what about technique, assingment-suredness, leadership and confidence? That's the chance you take.

HarveyWallbangers
09-08-2008, 11:01 AM
I totally see that comparison. Let's hope he doesn't flame out as fast. I live in NC, so I saw him a bit with App State, and while 1AA, ability is ability, and if you do enough right things, you can make the next level. That kid was a beast in college, and athletic. If Mike Montgomery can step up, what a bonus. I think the biggest question mark as far as where does he go from here is Colin Cole. It's time for that guy to step up and seize the situation, but if he's overmatched and maxed out on his abilities for the pros, then he shouldn't be there anyway. There are plenty of people who can fill space.

Is there anyone else in the DT depth that has any intrigue as far as development? As for DE, I've heard it said that they are somewhat disappointed with Jeremy Thompson's development, but that said, he is a rookie. That's the issue with having a young team. It's good for energy and stamina, but what about technique, assingment-suredness, leadership and confidence? That's the chance you take.

I agree on Cole. He needs a fast start or we need to find somebody else. Right now, we don't have any other DT depth--just DEs that can slide inside in a pinch.

mission
09-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Honestly... sack numbers are great, but I think our D is gonna be way bigger on the turnover side of things than we've had in quite some time.

So, even if the sack numbers are pedestrian, as long as we can keep constant pressure and get some balls thrown up for the boys to bring back then we'll be good. I expect a very advantageous defense this season.

Big on the plus side of the TO-ratio hopefully... I'd put some money on that one.

boiga
09-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Spitz-Wells-Sitton

I recall Spitz playing like shit at LG sometime during the preseason. Cant find it right now.Yeah, that was a big part of the problem in the San Francisco game. Spitz got washed a couple of times and Sitton wasn't particularly assignment sure. Spitz-Wells-Sitton could work, but they need more experience working as a unit.

I see Colledge-Spitz-Moll as being fairly efficient against the pass rush tonight. They don't have as much upside as that giant Sitton for run blocking, but they were a solid unit last year and should be improved since then.

Harlan Huckleby
09-08-2008, 05:35 PM
I think Spitz and Sitton have locked-down starting jobs.
Barbre and Moll are backups.

That leaves one job between Colledge and Wells.

Harlan Huckleby
09-08-2008, 05:39 PM
I agree on Cole. He needs a fast start or we need to find somebody else. Right now, we don't have any other DT depth--just DEs that can slide inside in a pinch.

The problem is that at this stage in the season, no DTs better than Cole are available on practice squads, or even through trades.

In an odd way, the tight spot the Packers find themselves in validates the drafting of Justin Harrell. Big guys with the athleticism to play D-line are rare. Probably it was worth taking a chance on Harrell with a high draft pick. And he certainly is not a washout yet.