PDA

View Full Version : Approach this season with caution.

AtlPackFan
09-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Not trying to rain on anyone’s parade but for those who have become addicted to the Kool-Aid, a few words of caution.

The Packers were 13-3 last year but they could have easily been 9-7 or worse. They caught Philly, the Giants and San Diego as those three teams stumbled out of the blocks. They beat Washington on a fumble recovery returned for a touchdown by Woodson. They beat Denver in overtime. They were also fairly injury free and – oh yeah – they had you-know-who flinging the pigskin.

This year they start with missing or banged up starter(s on the offensive line, defensive line, receivers, running back, linebacker and safety. There corners have always played somewhat hobbled and are a year older. And – oh yeah – you know who is NOT flinging the pigskin for our team.

In his place is his understudy from the last three years who has never started a regular season game. And he opens up on Monday night against what has the potential to be one of the best defenses in the league this year.

Finally, their schedule does them no favors. In the NFL, anyone who has a GM not named Matt Millen can turn a loosing team around in a heartbeat with a smart draft, a few key FA acquisitions and the right coach/attitude. Case in point is the Falcons. Yes, its only one game but that is a different team than the one from last year. The new coaching staff has instilled a physical attitude and it has become a run first team that could give the Packers fits in Lambeau.

Realistically, I expect the Packers to stumble out of the gate this year as Rodgers acclimates to his starting role and team attempts to get healthy. I think the playoffs are a remote possibility. Worse, it could be a loosing (7-9, 6-10) season.

Why the doom and gloom the day of our first game?

I simply want everyone to remember that patience is a virtue…and will be required. I believe there are going to be some tough times ahead and tonight could be one of them.

All that said, I would LOVE to be proved wrong! Go Pack!!!

P.S. I won't be able to get back to this site until sometime tomorrow so bash away. :mrgreen:

mission
09-08-2008, 11:07 AM
I disagree.

8-)

Tony Oday
09-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Good teams win close games thats what we have to remember

Tarlam!
09-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Great post, IMhumbleO.

HarveyWallbangers
09-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised by any result this year. I could see ARod playing well and helping us win the division and making a deep playoff run. I could see him playing up and down and we go 8-8. I could see him getting injured and we go 5-11.

The one thing we likely will learn by the end of the season... is he the future? If he does well, it bodes really well for the team long-term. It will also show that Thompson evaluated him properly and McCarthy can coach him up.

Carolina_Packer
09-08-2008, 11:12 AM
I don't disagree with you. I think most have tempered their enthusiasm with current reality. They are not the team that loaded the gun, has high hopes and now has to deliver, such as the Jets. If the Pack delivers a winning season and possibly a playoff berth, obviously it will have exceeded many people's expectations, given the question marks they have. If they go even further into the playoffs, people will be thinking, youngest team in the NFL with a new QB who did this in his first starting year...the sky is the limit. So, as long as they don't fall on their collective faces, they can be considered a success this year, and give the fans hope for the future.

I always find it interesting how pre-season prognostications end up turning out in the end. There are media darling teams that end up having off-years, such as the Saints last year, and for the last few years the AZ Cardinals (for some reason known only to media types). What I love is the team that wasn't expected to do much and has a season like we did last year. That's the fun of it for me.

mraynrand
09-08-2008, 11:18 AM
http://www.440aw.afrc.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/web/050912-F-4444M-002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/LArc-en-Ciel/caution.gif

cpk1994
09-08-2008, 11:18 AM
I don't disagree with you. I think most have tempered their enthusiasm with current reality. They are not the team that loaded the gun, has high hopes and now has to deliver, such as the Jets. If the Pack delivers a winning season and possibly a playoff berth, obviously it will have exceeded many people's expectations, given the question marks they have. If they go even further into the playoffs, people will be thinking, youngest team in the NFL with a new QB who did this in his first starting year...the sky is the limit. So, as long as they don't fall on their collective faces, they can be considered a success this year, and give the fans hope for the future.

I always find it interesting how pre-season prognostications end up turning out in the end. There are media darling teams that end up having off-years, such as the Saints last year, and for the last few years the AZ Cardinals (for some reason known only to media types). What I love is the team that wasn't expected to do much and has a season like we did last year. That's the fun of it for me.

Thats not what the almighty Tom Jackson says Packer fans are expecting. :lol:

Carolina_Packer
09-08-2008, 11:20 AM

pray tell, what did Boomer's big side kick say about the Packer fans expectations?

LL2
09-08-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm probably a Kool-aid drinker as I'm always optomistic. Given that the the Packers have everyone back from last year, except Favre, and having gained the experience they gained from the playoffs I do not see why they can't be good this year.

I'm always expecting the Packers to win and having a bad day when they don't.

bobblehead
09-08-2008, 11:36 AM
you make some valid points, but you forget things that actually went the other way...favre throws a pick right before the half against against KC. Woodson fumbles a punt return...forget against who. Pick right to uhrlacher inside their red zone. The windy disaster in chicago. Lack of a ryan grant early. The "forward progress" call against dallas that might have changed the momentum of that game. Eli throwing perfect passes to burress, the vincent jackson fingertip catch of a perfect pass (to the inch) by rivers.

Unless your team is perfect you can always point things out that "could" have changed the season. If I went back and watched every patriots game over I could make just as many arguements as you did that they should have been 10-6.

Bottom line...we won 13 games against teams that are also human.

pbmax
09-08-2008, 12:02 PM
All of you points APF are quite possibly correct. However, the schedule can change suddenly early in the season. I was not looking forward to playing the Broncos, Chiefs and the road and the Chargers at home last year. But each of those teams was less that what we thought they would be.

Right now, the AFC South is off to the same kind of start. The Titans are leading that division, oddly enough. And our backups held the Titans game close enough versus some of the first liners that our backups nearly pulled the game out. You never know how the season will break. Its way too early to draw a conclusion, but the roadblocks in the schedule might move.

One thing is apparent, the Cowboys looked like the class of the Conference again. After one game, mind you. And the Browns looked WAY overhyped.

boiga
09-08-2008, 12:35 PM
I agree with the your points, pbmax, except for this statement:
One thing is apparent, the Cowboys looked like the class of the Conference again.

The Eagles looked just as good (though admittedly against an awful team) and I would expect either the Packers or the Vikings to be in the running as well, depending on tonight's results. Also, Barber's injury could easily bring the 'Boy's back down to earth. A smash mouth RB with a rib injury isn't going to be particularly effective.

To the OP, I'm still a Kool-aid drinker until proven wrong. If our guys play up to their level of ability and we skirt the injury bug, this could be an awesome season. We're a well balanced team with numerous weapons on offense, some major playmakers in all facets of the defense and a well stocked and disciplined special teams.

Let me put it this way: on paper, we're starting the season with more positives and fewer negatives than at any point since '98. Sure, tonight will tell if that's enough, but I don't see any reasons to limit our expectations at this point.

cpk1994
09-08-2008, 12:54 PM

pray tell, what did Boomer's big side kick say about the Packer fans expectations?Basicaly Jackson claimed that Packer fans are expecting Super Bowl or bust out of Rodgers this year. It was one of the most rediculous claims I have ever heard.

gbgary
09-08-2008, 01:05 PM
nice reality check for the kool-aid drinkers.

pbmax
09-08-2008, 01:06 PM
boiga, I gave it to the Cowboys because I saw their game and not the Eagles. Its entirely possible you are correct and the Browns could be worse than the Rams. The Browns were the home team, though, and I thought for that reason alone they would put up a better fight.

And everyone at Bristol is convinced there will be revolution if Rodgers fails to top last year's success. None of them do any research or any reading to know that there are reasonable Packer fans who, before the Favre deal was completed, saw the schedule and knew a repeat of that success was going to be tough. Its a simple talking point when they have nothing else to say.