PDA

View Full Version : Cleft Crusty Postgame Chat (Vikings)

Cleft Crusty
09-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Hello Folks,

Well, I've made it another year, and despite being on 15 different medications, I'm reasonably healthy (can bench press 275 while eating 7 spicy chilidogs) and ready to answer your questions about tonight's game. I see that my erstwhile underling at the JS is now on staff at Packerrats, trying to depose his former master. I will have to be at the top of my game to match wits, but I'll give it my all, assuming no medical or gastronomic emergencies. Fire away!

bobblehead
09-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Hey Cleft....now that the packers went 13-3 and were one bad toss away from the super bowl will you now admit that the packers actually have a couple of "impact" players?

SkinBasket
09-08-2008, 04:54 PM
I think he fell asleep. Or died.

Harlan Huckleby
09-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Cleft,

Do you think Aaron Rodger's 4-TD performance tonight validates the trade of Favre?

Also, who knew that Jermichael Finley could play defensive tackle!? Maybe a star was born tonight out of the ashes of the packers desperate lack of depth.

Cleft Crusty
09-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Hey Cleft....now that the packers went 13-3 and were one bad toss away from the super bowl will you now admit that the packers actually have a couple of "impact" players?

Skinbasket had it pretty close to the mark. I was taking a nap so that I would be in prime shape for the game. My Xanax dose was a little strong. IN any event - the Packers have no blue chippers at the moment and the Vikings have two - Peterson and Pat Williams, possibly Allen. Perhaps Grant will be that guy, but if you go back to last season, Grant and Jennings were completely shut down in the NFC Championship game. Kampman was a non-factor. And from Seattle's loss in Buffalo, we can see that the Divisional victory was an empty fluke against a very poor run defense. It will be interesting to see if any blue chip players emerge. I don't see any other possibilities on this roster except Grant and Jennings.

Rastak
09-08-2008, 05:56 PM

Skinbasket had it pretty close to the mark. I was taking a nap so that I would be in prime shape for the game. My Xanax dose was a little strong. IN any event - the Packers have no blue chippers at the moment and the Vikings have two - Peterson and Pat Williams, possibly Allen. Perhaps Grant will be that guy, but if you go back to last season, Grant and Jennings were completely shut down in the NFC Championship game. Kampman was a non-factor. And from Seattle's loss in Buffalo, we can see that the Divisional victory was an empty fluke against a very poor run defense. It will be interesting to see if any blue chip players emerge. I don't see any other possibilities on this roster except Grant and Jennings.

Allen, 43 sacks in 4 years.....he's blue chip.

Cleft Crusty
09-08-2008, 09:29 PM

He was pretty quiet tonight. Much like when he faced Clifton in Kansas City. He's not dominant at his position in the way Peterson is.

gbgary
09-08-2008, 09:41 PM
mr crusty, did MM get a hair-ball late in the 4th? he hung (hanged?) the D out to dry with the gutless play calling.

Cleft Crusty
09-08-2008, 09:46 PM
mr crusty, did MM get a hair-ball late in the 4th? he hung the D out to dry with the gutless play calling.

Coaches always play this game. Do I run the clock and give the other team a chance to move the ball with no timeouts down the length of the field, or do I stay with my regular offense and try to get the first down. Given that the Packer offense was largely conservative through the entire game, it would have made some sense to play a conservative offense, but not what were essentially 'give-up' runs into a ten man D-line with Brandon Jackson. But, it's easy to question play calling. McCarthy called it correct because the Packers won. Leave it right there. You can pounce on him when it goes sour on him.

gbgary
09-08-2008, 10:24 PM
mr crusty, did MM get a hair-ball late in the 4th? he hung the D out to dry with the gutless play calling.

Coaches always play this game. Do I run the clock and give the other team a chance to move the ball with no timeouts down the length of the field, or do I stay with my regular offense and try to get the first down. Given that the Packer offense was largely conservative through the entire game, it would have made some sense to play a conservative offense, but not what were essentially 'give-up' runs into a ten man D-line with Brandon Jackson. But, it's easy to question play calling. McCarthy called it correct because the Packers won. Leave it right there. You can pounce on him when it goes sour on him.

what? you never suffered from a hair-ball? i serve-up a fat one like that and you didn't take a swing. i figured with your medical history a hair-ball was a sure thing.

Harlan Huckleby
09-08-2008, 10:28 PM
CC,

I've heard some carping about the Oline from forum know-nothings. Don't you have to give them credit for matching an outstanding D-line?

BallHawk
09-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Seeing Grant tonight made me realize how far behind Jackson is. What are your thoughts on this?

Scott Campbell
09-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Cleft,

How many more games like this until the Farve background noise dies down?

Guiness
09-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Crusty, when they clear away the wires from the defibrilator I'm sure you needed after the win, would you mind answering a question of great importance?

Why the hell did ARod grow that 'stache back???

Cleft Crusty
09-08-2008, 10:37 PM

what? you never suffered from a hair-ball? i serve-up a fat one like that and you didn't take a swing. i figured with your medical history a hair-ball was a sure thing.

I'm an old man and have very little hair anymore. Plus I clean myself in the shower, not by licking myself.

Cleft Crusty
09-08-2008, 10:40 PM
CC,

I've heard some carping about the Oline from forum know-nothings. Don't you have to give them credit for matching an outstanding D-line?

It really was a nice effort against that D-line. Clifton of course was impressive (other than the penalties), Tauscher and Colledge only had a few whiffs. Moll played fairly well also, and his penalty bringing back the TD was ticky-tack - but to be expected from an officiating crew notorious for flag-throwing.

Cleft Crusty
09-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Seeing Grant tonight made me realize how far behind Jackson is. What are your thoughts on this?

Jackson is a different back than Grant. They did try to use him in some situations, but on the one screen, he never had a chance, because the entire stadium knew it was coming. Grant is just a better fit for the scheme, and as I mentioned above, is on e of the two Packers that ay be Blue Chippers. A running back needs a good line, but a line needs a good running back to make them look great. Grant can run.

Cleft Crusty
09-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Cleft,

How many more games like this until the Favre background noise dies down?

Favre who?

Seriously, Rodgers will have to continue playing well. Every time he doesn't, Favre will be mentioned. Some people don't understand football, and realize there is a time when a veteran has to be let go.

What did Vince say: It's better to get rid of a veteran a year too soon rather than too late.

Also, if people pay attention, they will realize that the Thompson philosophy helped them win this game. The value of draft picks, and accumulating depth has resulted in an outstanding Special Teams, already contributing to a touchdown.

Cleft Crusty
09-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Crusty, when they clear away the wires from the defibrilator I'm sure you needed after the win, would you mind answering a question of great importance?

Why the hell did ARod grow that 'stache back???

I don't need a defibrillator for a football game. I really couldn't care who wins or loses. I'm a completely dispassionate, objective reporter. In fact, I almost fell asleep from boredom at one point. Or that was my meds.

What does facial hair have to do with football? What the hell do you care about a stache? Are you a football fan or a teen magazine reader, like my worthless daughter who reads 'Tiger Beat' and US magazine? Grow up. As long as Rodgers' stache isn't long enough to allow the defense to tackle him, Packer fans shouldn't worry.

RashanGary
09-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Cleft,

You are invincable :) :)

CaliforniaCheez
09-09-2008, 04:10 AM
The packers could easily lost that game if the vikings had a competent QB.

It looked like a preseason game! Flags, miscommunication, poor tackling, poor lane discipline, etc. Hawk was burned in coverage a few times I hope that is just rust. The Safeties were slow reacting.

Hopefully Wells and Sitton are available for the Dallas game.

Fortunately the vikings suck much worse.

Cleft, What are your thoughts on the forgotten fundamental of tackling?

Doesn't it seem that games just aren't as entertaining anymore because of league wide poor tackling??

I don't think records are being broken by better players. Records fall because the opposition isn't trying and just doesn't tackle properly.

The Gunshooter
09-09-2008, 07:42 AM

He was pretty quiet tonight. Much like when he faced Clifton in Kansas City. He's not dominant at his position in the way Peterson is.

But he did draw two holding penalties by flopping around like a rotting salmon in spawn. Are you saying that shouldn't translate into all-pro votes?

Zool
09-09-2008, 07:51 AM

But he did draw two holding penalties by flopping around like a rotting salmon in spawn. Are you saying that shouldn't translate into all-pro votes?

He should at least get an Emmy nomination for that first one.

Cleft Crusty
09-09-2008, 11:19 AM
The packers could easily lost that game if the vikings had a competent QB.

It looked like a preseason game! Flags, miscommunication, poor tackling, poor lane discipline, etc. Hawk was burned in coverage a few times I hope that is just rust. The Safeties were slow reacting.

Hopefully Wells and Sitton are available for the Dallas game.

Fortunately the vikings suck much worse.

Cleft, What are your thoughts on the forgotten fundamental of tackling?

Doesn't it seem that games just aren't as entertaining anymore because of league wide poor tackling??

I don't think records are being broken by better players. Records fall because the opposition isn't trying and just doesn't tackle properly.

It's the first game of the season. And a lot of guys hadn't played at all or at least not very much at their position. Hawk did get completely spun around in coverage, and there were other blown coverages - probably by Barnett on that Rice TD.

Here's an important point. The Vikings, in the offseason, saw the Packers as the team to beat, and rightly so. You have to get by the Packers if you want the Superbowl. So the Vikings went out and spent money to get guys to beat the Packers. That game yesterday was their attempt to do what their entire offseason was geared towards, and they cam up empty. But it wasn't for lack of trying. It was because, despite a very good defensive line, offensive line, and running back, the Packers are better. One distinct difference is in philosophy and success in the draft. The Packers draft for depth, and they have it in spades. That's why their special teams totally outclassed the Vikings. That wasn't so true years ago.

For referee haters, this was a delightful game. I should note that I believe the officials blew the call on illegal man downfield. The rule is that if you are not blocking, you cannot be more than 1 yard past the line of scrimmage. Moll was blocking, had blocked, and had moved the D-lineman down the field. It was the wrong call, or if you wish, it was incorrectly called by the official because Moll had a really nice block on a play he thought was a run - the official probably called it because he saw Moll downfield, but he hadn't seen Moll blow away the defender.

Cleft Crusty
09-09-2008, 11:23 AM

Gamesmanship is part of the game. It usually doesn't work as well in football, and less well for holding on the line. It works the best with receivers flopping when contacted by d-backs. Still, Allen is a lightweight when it comes to flopping technique. He could take some lessons from the master albeit from another sport, Vlade Divac. I hear that Vlade has opened a school to teach the finer points of flopping.