Bossman641
09-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Studs-

Rodgers
Hawk
O-Line - Held the best thing since sliced bread to nothing

Duds-

The refs - 20+ penalties

I'd like to dominate Cullen Jenkins for stud. He got good push and had a few nice pressures. For a guy who didn't show much last year, I thought it was a positive sign.

ThunderDan
09-08-2008, 09:33 PM
It's great to see that the Vikings went out a spent millions to improve the team and ..... nothing.

PackerTimer
09-08-2008, 09:34 PM
The refs were definitley the duds of this game. A lot of those penatly calls (on both sides) weren't very good. The interference calls on Harris and Williams are two exambles of some very bad calls.

PackerTimer
09-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Tony Moll didn't play very well. The rest of the O-Line held up pretty well against a very good defensive line.

gbgary
09-08-2008, 09:36 PM
i agree with the studs. thinking about putting MM in the dud side but i haven't decided yet. :D

VegasPackFan
09-08-2008, 09:36 PM
I'd like to dominate Cullen Jenkins for stud

Bossman, you are one kinky dude!

gbgary
09-08-2008, 09:38 PM

:lol:

falco
09-08-2008, 09:38 PM
jackson looked bad, grant looked much better

defense has to do better on getting off the field, gave up so many 3rd downs

i thought they did extremely well against the rush, given the lack of depth at DT

rodgers had some great throws, that play to driver was beautiful
MM just now on the radio saying moll should have read the D and known it would be a pass

BallHawk
09-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Greg Jennings was studly. 5 catches for 91 yards.

Ruvell Martin had 1 catch for 13 yards. Beastly.

mmmdk
09-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Packers are better than Vikings today but you have to hand the game ball to Rodgers; tremendoud pressure and he delivered. Rodgers is for real.

Charles Woodson
09-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Ruvell Martin had 1 catch for 13 yards. Beastly.
:lol: :lol:
I second the nomination for playcalling as dud, along with Moll

Charles Woodson
09-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Bigby as Stud, he came clutch with that Pick.. Dagger

Bossman641
09-08-2008, 09:45 PM

http://i.packers.com/pg/jenkins_cullen_2005/photo5.jpg

He's dreamy

Gunakor
09-08-2008, 09:45 PM

Yeah, but he should have just fell down. Had he fumbled the ball away running around like that... He loses studliness for that IMO.

Charles Woodson
09-08-2008, 09:46 PM

Yeah, but he should have just fell down. Had he fumbled the ball away running around like that... He loses studliness for that IMO.
Yea i agree, but i dont blame him. Every Defensive player dreams about a pick 6

RashanGary
09-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Packers with first year QB = STUDS

Fucking dirt queens with vet QB = DUDS

Hahaha. Fuck you queens.

HA fucking HA bitch queens.

Sef0r
Packers are better than Vikings today but you have to hand the game ball to Rodgers; tremendoud pressure and he delivered. Rodgers is for real.

4 games, lets give him 4 games. Last thing you want to do is think it will be all good from here. After 2 games other defenses will have enough tape to plan for him. I do not want to give in to the hype, let him settle in.

I am not a Rodgers basher, just a realist. If it all goes back from game 3, I wont feel as let down.

MJZiggy
Maybe he was trying to run out the clock by himself... :lol:

PackerPro42
09-08-2008, 09:49 PM
I thought Kampman was a stud tonight. Got great push on everyplay and seemed to make up for some of the LB slack when Jackson got into the second level. All in all the LB core played well tonight.

Rodgers too.

mission
09-08-2008, 09:51 PM

Like I said... dating back to 12+ months ago.

"Rodgers has the intangible, immeasurables to be a very successful QB" ...

Has Favre EVER had an 80%+ completion percentage?

Cuz, um... A-Rod has played in really two regular season games. yall know the stats at dallas... saw the game tonight.

Dare I say it ... he's very Tom Bradyish.......

(i said it)

MJZiggy
09-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Blackmon for stud!!! (and whoever made that last block for him too)

mission
09-08-2008, 09:52 PM

YES!!!!! Awesome... and our boy Bigby!!! :wink:

Scott Campbell
09-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Ted's a stud - for the night anyway. It looks like maybe they did know what they were doing.

falco
09-08-2008, 09:58 PM
hopefully the packers silence a lot of critics tonight

we'll see what happens when they play a team with a legit passing game

of course next week we're playing the lions so we may have to wait awhile[/list]

boiga
09-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Bigby as Stud, he came clutch with that Pick.. Dagger Although, why the hell couldn't he just sit his ass down and end the game. Considering he nearly gave up that onside kick too, I do NOT want to bet the game on Bigby's hands.

Studs: The OLine. Sure they committed a dozen unnecessary penalties between them, but Rodgers was well protected against a mean pass rush. Clifton might deserve the game ball as much as Rodgers.

-D-backs: Harris, Tramon and C-Wood saved the game a couple of times. Sure Al had the penalty, but he also got away with on later that made up for it. C-wood did too. Tramon was robbed though. Al and Chuck also made some nifty open field tackles against AP that saved 7.

-LB'ers: They were the ones who stopped AP the most often and made the big stops on those short yardage 3rd downs. Poppinga has taken that step. Hawk showed some brilliance rushing the passer. I thought I saw Barnett out of position once on the TD run, but he was gold most of the game.

-Special Teams: Blackmon, consistent starting position advantage, etc. Although I'm not sure what happened on that blocked field goal.

-Ted: Our team lacks holes. We were consistent on all levels of the defense and productive in the offense against a fairly good team. Ted's drafted a good team here.

Duds: KGB was a nonentity tonight against a second tier tackle. He's either not up to full strength or has lost a step. Mike Montgomery got as many pressures.

b bulldog
09-08-2008, 10:01 PM
The new me, Hawk was a stud tonight. Pickett and Kampy were also good. Crosby's ko's were good but the block was his fault.

gbgary
09-08-2008, 10:04 PM
hey....the new punter, jack frost, was a stud too.

Harlan Huckleby
09-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Tony Moll didn't play very well. The rest of the O-Line held up pretty well against a very good defensive line.

i'm not so sure about this. Moll got two penalties for illegal man downfield, but it turns out neither were his fault. I think he played well against top competition. But it is hard to say, I just noticed a few plays.

Harlan Huckleby
09-08-2008, 10:09 PM

jack ought to be good in cold weather

red
09-08-2008, 10:09 PM

he kicked very well tonight

Harlan Huckleby
09-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Bigby as Stud, he came clutch with that Pick.. Dagger Although, why the hell couldn't he just sit his ass down and end the game.

ya, that stuck in my craw a bit too. that is a major mental error. you wonder if the coaches talk to these guys sometimes.

Packers4Ever
09-08-2008, 10:17 PM
The refs were definitley the duds of this game. A lot of those penatly calls (on both sides) weren't very good. The interference calls on Harris and Williams are two exambles of some very bad calls.

No kidding, they were the real duds !!

Maybe they just walked in off the street and offered to ref the game... :roll:

Iron Mike
09-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Studs--Jared Allen. $31 Million/1 tackle. :P

Cheesehead Craig
09-08-2008, 10:19 PM
KGB was bad against the run, we knew that coming in. But he got some decent pressure and forced TJack out of the pocket at times. He doesn't deserve Dud status.

texaspackerbacker
09-08-2008, 10:22 PM
It's pretty hard to have duds when you win against a top notch team.

The closest thing to it was Brandon Jackson along with KGB--KGB is like a hitter in baseball with "warning track power". He almost always almost gets there.

Stud (obvious): Rodgers, Grant, Jennings, Hawk, Woodson, Blackmon, the whole D Line--I think they read the clippings about how good the Vikings D Line was and they weren't).

Studs (less obvious): Popinga, Korey Hall (FB AND special teams), Mike Montgomery (I've always liked that guy), Jason Hunter (special teams), Tory Humphrey, Donald Driver (like always), Nick Collins and Atari Bigby (SOMEBODY sure was doing the job in centerfield), and Nick Barnett--second half especially.

The O Line had its moments against a really tough D, but generally was not executing as well as it should have.

pbmax
09-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Dud: Michael Wilbon. On PTI he gave Ted the nickname, Ted "I know more about football than everyone else" Thompson after the Favre trade.

My next screen name will be "Smarter Than Wilbon"!

Scott Campbell
09-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Studs--Jared Allen. $31 Million/1 tackle. :P

I'll drink to that! :glug: :glug:

Joemailman
09-08-2008, 10:27 PM

Jason Hunter.

Also thought Nick Collins played very physical tonight.

RashanGary
09-08-2008, 10:30 PM

Dude, if you don't take it as somethign, I'm takin' it as my sig :)

What a great night for Packer fans!!!!

boiga
09-08-2008, 10:41 PM
KGB was bad against the run, we knew that coming in. But he got some decent pressure and forced TJack out of the pocket at times. He doesn't deserve Dud status. Maybe you're right. He's as close to a dud that we had out there tonight though.

Guiness
09-08-2008, 10:44 PM

i'm not so sure about this. Moll got two penalties for illegal man downfield, but it turns out neither were his fault. I think he played well against top competition. But it is hard to say, I just noticed a few plays.

Not his fault? Why not?

MJZiggy
09-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Because he thought they were run plays and Rodgers took the pass option attached to them. Happened once or twice last season too. The only ones who know the pass is coming are the QB and receiver.

Harlan Huckleby
09-08-2008, 10:47 PM

Not his fault? Why not?

they were plays where he was supposed to block downfield after a short time interval. a quick pass or run option. (that's what Larry McCarren thought, Arod waited too long to throw.)

Guiness
09-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Hey blue dog, since you're hanging out here...

Also, who knew that Jermichael Finley could play defensive tackle!? Maybe a star was born tonight out of the ashes of the packers desperate lack of depth.
Did that really happen????

Harlan Huckleby
09-08-2008, 10:55 PM
nah, that was a post i made before the game, sort of a premonition. thought i might be able to trip-up Crusty, make him think the game was already over.

Iron Mike
09-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Dud: Michael Wilbon. On PTI he gave Ted the nickname, Ted "I know more about football than everyone else" Thompson after the Favre trade.

LOLZ--I was just watching Chris Berman and Tom Jackson on ESPNs halftime show backpedaling furiously away from anointing the Queens two weeks ago as the NFLs "Most Improved Team" to todays "one-dimensional."

Pacopete4
09-08-2008, 11:01 PM
If the Vikes don't being in Simms for a looksy they are complete fools.. Tjack cant complete a slant pass or an 8 yard out... his fundamentals are horrid.. good luck with that all season haha :lol:

Partial
09-08-2008, 11:06 PM
CNNSI and ESPN for having a pic up of Favre after his first win, but currently having LT up saying he's the best player in the AFC after Brady.

Should be Rodgers night up there.

HarveyWallbangers
09-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Nobody has talked about it, but our DL that everybody was worried about was studly. Tons of pressure and did a very good job against a great RB in the run game. He had two long runs for 45 yards on consecutive runs to the outside early in the game (which I thought looked like poor defensive alignment on the plays), but otherwise held him to 17 carries for 58 yards. I'll take that every game against that guy.

Pacopete4
09-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Partial,

Espn has Rodgers up there.. Headline "Rodgers That!"

Zool
09-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Nobody has talked about it, but our DL that everybody was worried about was studly. Tons of pressure and did a very good job against a great RB in the run game. He had two long runs for 45 yards on consecutive runs to the outside early in the game (which I thought looked like poor defensive alignment on the plays), but otherwise held him to 17 carries for 58 yards. I'll take that every game against that guy.

Rewatch and see Barnett out of place on both plays. I only caught some of the first half on TV, but he's continuing his play of the pre-season. I need Wist back to help me out with my voodoo doll of him.

Bossman641
09-08-2008, 11:14 PM

Rewatch and see Barnett out of place on both plays. I only caught some of the first half on TV, but he's continuing his play of the pre-season. I need Wist back to help me out with my voodoo doll of him.

I saw the same thing. He had a rough preseason. Time to shake the rust off.

Also, on the 4th down TD pass to Rice, there were a gang of linebackers that followed the RB and TE out to the flat. Don't know what the coverage was supposed to be, if it was man or zone, but somebody messed that one up as well.

oregonpackfan
09-08-2008, 11:16 PM

Yeah, yeah, the Barnett-Bashers are back at it again. Even though coaches, opposing players, and announcers point out the many positives Barnett brings to the team, there is a small, but vocal, number of PackerRats who continually belittle his talents and contributions.

Your scapegoating Barnett for the mistakes the defense makes is really getting old. :roll:

Pacopete4
09-08-2008, 11:17 PM

Yeah, yeah, the Barnett-Bashers are back at it again. Even though coaches, opposing players, and announcers point out the many positives Barnett brings to the team, there is a small, but vocal, number of PackerRats who continually belittle his talents and contributions.

Your scapegoating Barnett for the mistakes the defense makes is really getting old. :roll:

I don't know about the history of Barnett bashing.. but Zool I believe is right.. Barnett was outta position on the plays but he had a very good game besides that..

HarveyWallbangers
09-08-2008, 11:19 PM

Could have been--although I'd partially blame Woodson on the long run. He was blitzing from the outside and did a poor job.

Outside of the penalties, I thought the team played well. They showed they are still the better all-around team on this night. It was a blocked FG and penalty on Driver's pass play from being a laugher. It was aggravating that it got close at the end. Too many damn penalties.

The other dud was our defenders playing the pass option on several 3rd and long scrambles by Jackson. Jackson just isn't a very good passer out of the pocket. They should have been been playing the run more, and we could have gotten off the field earlier on a few drives.

Zool
09-08-2008, 11:20 PM

Watch the plays again, then we'll talk. He's running wild back there and not letting the running plays flow to him like the D is designed to do. Its not like I'm making this up because I have something against him.

Football announcers and "experts" are right about as often as I am, they just happen to get paid for it.

And Barnett was way out of position on both of those plays. Maybe he was surprised the Vikings were running the ball?

oregonpackfan
09-08-2008, 11:21 PM
I agree with the "Studs" selected by the fellow PackerRats.

I think we have to especially acknowledge the great game that Aaron Rodgers had tonight. With all the pressure he has had bear with the Favre debacle, his first regular season start, the home opener, national Monday Night Football game, etc. he had an outstanding game. I am talking more than just his 80+% completion rate. He demonstrated leadership and poise.

Few players placed in his position could have handled it better, IMO.

boiga
09-08-2008, 11:31 PM
I don't know about the history of Barnett bashing.. but Zool I believe is right.. Barnett was outta position on the plays but he had a very good game besides that.. Agreed. His tackling was much better and he made some major stops against AP. Despite those two plays (and maybe that 4th down TD), this was a great game for the entire LB corp.

HarveyWallbangers
09-09-2008, 12:05 AM
Because he thought they were run plays and Rodgers took the pass option attached to them. Happened once or twice last season too. The only ones who know the pass is coming are the QB and receiver.

Actually, McCarthy seems to infer that Moll was at fault.

(The illegal downfield penalty on Moll, what is the rule?)
They give you a yard past...Based on my understanding and looking at the picture, the engagement of the block, he ended up falling forward and got too far downfield. But we should have been engaged there, that shouldn't have been a problem based on the defense and the way we were blocking it.

cpk1994
09-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Bigby as Stud, he came clutch with that Pick.. DaggerI nominiate him for Dud on the same play has he idotically busted out his Darren Sharper imitation. Go down, you moron!.

mission
09-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Bigby as Stud, he came clutch with that Pick.. DaggerI nominiate him for Dud on the same play has he idotically busted out his Darren Sharper imitation. Go down, you moron!.

Bigby has had some good pick returns and I dont ever remember him fumbling.

Some of yall talk so passively in your play preferences. How bout not going down but "hold onto the ball" ... you play to win and with NFL players, cant be expecting them to make mistakes. Great teams dont play with fear of what *might* go wrong. They go for the jugular.

That's the difference between creators and joe blow though ... mentality.

Chevelle2
09-09-2008, 11:08 AM

Cuz, um... A-Rod has played in really two regular season games. yall know the stats at dallas... saw the game tonight.

(i said it)

I have felt this way for a while. Glad you said it.

HarveyWallbangers
09-09-2008, 11:12 AM

Some of yall talk so passively in your play preferences. How bout not going down but "hold onto the ball" ... you play to win and with NFL players, cant be expecting them to make mistakes. Great teams dont play with fear of what *might* go wrong. They go for the jugular.

Nah, there's no excuse for him not taking a knee there. It was a decision that could have cost them the game. The Vikings didn't have any more timeouts. The game is over if he takes a knee. When he decided to run with the ball, he gave the Vikings the chance to knock it out. The coach agrees with me on this one.

"It was a big play by Atari Bigby. He needs to kneel on the ball"

mngolf19
09-09-2008, 11:12 AM

Hahaha. Fuck you queens.

You really are a dipshit aren't you. I congratulate Rodgers for a great game, and the Packers for winning.

Guiness
09-09-2008, 11:13 AM

Ok Mission, but what good could have come from him running with the ball, even if he brought it back for 6?

A minute left. 2 kneel downs vs a db scrambling around in the open field with every opposing player trying to strip the ball instead of tackling him.

No, you don't play for what might go wrong, but no good could come from him scrambling around.

Guiness
09-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Jenkins made a great stop on AP on 3rd and 1, just before the TD pass to Rice that I think bears mentioning. It might be the reason they threw on that 4th down, as well as the later 3rd and 2 when they went to a 3 wide set.

packers11
09-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Stud : Mainly everyone

Dud : (for 1 play) Poppinga. Get some hands, Barnett was right behind you and could have took that to the house...

(for 1 play) Bigby. Catch the damn ball if your on the onside unit... Extremely lucky it took a bounce to the sidelines ...

boiga
09-09-2008, 11:24 AM
You really are a dipshit aren't you. I congratulate Rodgers for a great game, and the Packers for winning. Don't mind JH, he becomes a dick when intoxicated. Thanks for being classy and the congrats.

The Vikes played a good game last night and should feel good about their team. When you get your starting safety and left tackle back, this will be a much harder game. If you guys continue what you did last night, you'll get a winning record and will have a shot at the playoffs. Childress' play calling hurts you (4 wide on 3rd and 1???) but you have a lot of talent on that team.

MadtownPacker
09-09-2008, 11:34 AM
That's the difference between creators and joe blow though ... mentality.Wrong, that is the difference between being a showboat and thinking about the fact the game can be over if he just kneels.The victory was in his hands. Save the flamboyant sheeze for after the clock runs out.

mission
09-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Even without the coach quote, you guys are right on the Bigby play.

There is nothing good to happen at that point with the game already locked up. I kinda (kinda? lol) forgot the context of that play this morning apparently.

For as much as I say "I'm right", I'm definitely wrong on that one. :)

DonHutson
09-09-2008, 12:51 PM
STUDS:

Rodgers - made plays with his arm, his feet, his eyes, and his head. Didn't get rattled. Didn't make mistakes. Maybe that fat bitch Pat Williams remembers his name now.

Harris - not a spotless game, but he's sure fun to watch. Loved the fearlessness to charge headfirst into AP after the pummeling he took the first time around. The entire secondary played very well.

Pass rush - not a ton of sacks, but that's fine. Jackson is elusive and seems to have a pretty good feel in the pocket. The Packers put a lot of good hits on him, and he never had forever to throw the ball.

Grant - one of the quietest 90+ yard games I've seen, but he made the big play when we needed one.

Blackmon - if he could just stay healthy he's as good a PR as anyone. He's fearless, has great acceleration, and great instincts. Amazing return at a crucial time.

Don Hutson - while the punt was in the air, I turned to my wife and said this one's going back for a TD. 76 yards later and I'm one smart guy.

:)

DUDS:

OL penalties - Moll in particular. I don't buy that he's allowed to just charge downfield on those option plays. Nobody else had that problem and he did it twice. Clifton needs to clean it up as well, but he did a spectacular job pass blocking so I'll cut him a lot of slack.

missed FG - Crosby nailed a longer one and drilled his kickoffs, but that could've been a costly miss on a chip shot.

OVERALL:

It might have been different if Jared Allen had played.

:shock:

MadtownPacker
09-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Don Hutson - while the punt was in the air, I turned to my wife and said this one's going back for a TD. 76 yards later and I'm one smart guy.But then she turned you into a Dud by reminding you that you say that on every return. :lol:

AV David
09-09-2008, 02:13 PM
MNgolf 19

I appreciate your class.

cpk1994
09-09-2008, 02:14 PM

That's the difference between creators and joe blow though ... mentality.Mission, when he picked the ball, all he had to was go down and the GAME WAS OVER. You don't give the other team a chance to get the ball back. Anything could have happened to jar the bal loose. Going down in that case was going for the jugular becuase THE GAME WAS OVER.

Noodle
09-09-2008, 02:17 PM
How about Frost for one of the studs? He had a 42 net and seemed to do well directionally. Not bad for a guy who's still unpacking his moving boxes.

mission
09-09-2008, 02:17 PM

That's the difference between creators and joe blow though ... mentality.Mission, when he picked the ball, all he had to was go down and the GAME WAS OVER. You don't give the other team a chance to get the ball back. Anything could have happened to jar the bal loose. Going down in that case was going for the jugular becuase THE GAME WAS OVER.

Scroll up buddy. :roll:

gbgary
09-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Don Hutson - while the punt was in the air, I turned to my wife and said this one's going back for a TD. 76 yards later and I'm one smart guy.

when that ball was coming down and nobody was within 10 (maybe more) yards of him, i thought the same thing.

gbgary
09-09-2008, 02:34 PM

ya know...cuz of his legs, i'd say he's more majkowskiish.

cpk1994
09-09-2008, 02:41 PM

Scroll up buddy. :roll:I see that now sorry. :oops:

DonHutson
09-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Don Hutson - while the punt was in the air, I turned to my wife and said this one's going back for a TD. 76 yards later and I'm one smart guy.But then she turned you into a Dud by reminding you that you say that on every return. :lol:

No, but I did predict a Rodgers QB sneak for a TD about five times before he finally did it.

:oops:

Maxie the Taxi
09-09-2008, 05:23 PM
I don't think anyone mentioned this, so I will. I think Mike McCarthy was the biggest Packer stud last night. I continue to be impressed.

First, he put together a reasonable game plan.
Second, he had his regulars ready. Winning in the pre-season is unnecessary.
Third, he played it "smart" with key guys in the pre-season (like Pickett) and it paid off when it counted.
Fourth, he didn't panic during the game. Kept to the plan.
Fifth, I thought the playcalling was good, with one or two exceptions. He put his guys in positions to succeed, especially Rogers.
Sixth and most important, in the post game press conference he defended his guys tenaciously, like Al Harris defends a pass. He defended Rodgers saying he took what the defense gave him and "didn't take chances." (Wow, was that a shot?) Regarding the penalties, all he said was that he "liked his team" and they'd fix the mistakes. He refused to let the reporters steer the conference toward the negative.

I said it before and I'll say it again, MM is the Packers' greatest asset and before long will be rivaling Holmgren as their best coach since Lombardi.

Harlan Huckleby
09-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Pass rush - not a ton of sacks, but that's fine. Jackson is elusive and seems to have a pretty good feel in the pocket. The Packers put a lot of good hits on him, and he never had forever to throw the ball.

ok, D-line did fine. But the Vikes played with third string LT, that skews the results.

[OL penalties - Moll in particular. I don't buy that he's allowed to just charge downfield on those option plays. Nobody else had that problem and he did it twice.

I don't think we can judge, we don't have enough information. LArry McCerran commented on both downfield penalties that Moll did what he was supposed to do. And I noticed on the called-back touchdown there was at least one other O-lineman blocking downfield.

boiga
09-09-2008, 07:16 PM
I don't think we can judge, we don't have enough information. LArry McCerran commented on both downfield penalties that Moll did what he was supposed to do. And I noticed on the called-back touchdown there was at least one other O-lineman blocking downfield. You can block down field as long as you don't move forward after disengaging from the guy you started blocking at the line of scrimmage. That's what Moll did, and he needs to gain the awareness to know when to look for a LB to block and when to sit still so Aaron can throw the ball without it being called back.

HarveyWallbangers
09-09-2008, 09:17 PM
ok, D-line did fine. But the Vikes played with third string LT, that skews the results.

Well, their vaunted DL couldn't take advantage of our 3rd string RG. BTW, KGB had 4 sacks in 2 games last year against McKinnie. He owned him, so things might have been worse for them if McKinnie was in against a healthy KGB.

retailguy
09-09-2008, 10:29 PM

Hahaha. Fuck you queens.

You really are a dipshit aren't you. I congratulate Rodgers for a great game, and the Packers for winning.

Thanks for the classy comment. JH is our version of the idiot fan. Most other teams take it to the opponents board. He can't seem to do that, he just trashes his own teams board....

:roll:

HarveyWallbangers
09-09-2008, 11:00 PM

They give you a yard past...Based on my understanding and looking at the picture, the engagement of the block, he ended up falling forward and got too far downfield. But we should have been engaged there, that shouldn't have been a problem based on the defense and the way we were blocking it.

Sounds like McCarthy has changed course now. He said this about Moll on the play.

"We'll absolve him," McCarthy said.

mraynrand
09-09-2008, 11:04 PM

Sounds like McCarthy has changed course now. He said this about Moll on the play.

"We'll absolve him," McCarthy said.

I looked at that play, and I need to again, but I could swear he was engaged in a block almost the whole time - he may have blocked too well - he freed himself up and looked like he was going upfield. Still, in any event it seemed like a real ticky-tack call. I hate that officiating crew - they always throw lots of flags.

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2008, 12:23 AM
One thing that went unnoticed when praising Jennings for his great catch. Rodgers let go of the ball from his own 29 and Jennings caught it at the Vikings 5 or 6 yard line. That's 66 yards in the air. Actually, he threw it from just outside the right hash to just outside the left hash, so maybe tack on another yard or two. That's good arm strength and pretty damn good accuracy on such a deep ball.

Noodle
09-10-2008, 09:16 AM
One thing that went unnoticed when praising Jennings for his great catch. Rodgers let go of the ball from his own 29 and Jennings caught it at the Vikings 5 or 6 yard line. That's 66 yards in the air. Actually, he threw it from just outside the right hash to just outside the left hash, so maybe tack on another yard or two. That's good arm strength and pretty damn good accuracy on such a deep ball.

meh, Favre takes craps that go farther with more accuracy.

:wink:

DonHutson
09-10-2008, 09:50 PM

That's true. He crapped all over Green Bay all the way from Mississippi this summer. That's what? 1500 miles?

Zool
09-10-2008, 09:55 PM

That's true. He crapped all over Green Bay all the way from Mississippi this summer. That's what? 1500 miles?

Don't forget about the crap he took from NY(NJ?) after the last preseason game.

MadtownPacker
09-10-2008, 10:03 PM

Don't forget about the crap he took from NY(NJ?) after the last preseason game.Arent you in the other thread lecturing Paco about this same thing?

Zool
09-10-2008, 10:05 PM

Don't forget about the crap he took from NY(NJ?) after the last preseason game.Arent you in the other thread lecturing Paco about this same thing?

Si. Mainly the visual of a dude shitting 1500 miles was too funny to pass up.

Partial
09-10-2008, 11:07 PM

Thats one heck of a hurl. Do we have a highlight anywhere?

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2008, 11:10 PM
packers.com
nfl.com

Did you not watch the game?

Partial
09-10-2008, 11:11 PM
I was in class, so no. I only watched the 4th quarter.

pbmax
09-10-2008, 11:15 PM
The best part? Rodger could have thrown it earlier or deeper. Jennings was past the DB and had to throttle down before going to the ball. Another yard or two (or earlier) and he runs right through it into the endzone.

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2008, 11:17 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos

Click Highlights > Green Bay > Aaron Rodgers

There's a video titles "WK1: Aaron Rodgers highlights". It's 4:28 long. The long bomb starts at 0:45.

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2008, 11:22 PM
The ball he threw to Driver that could have been a 68 yard TD was a good throw also. The pump fake on the play was what made it a great play by Rodgers. Unfortunately, they don't have a highlight since it was called back.

Partial
09-10-2008, 11:26 PM
The best part? Rodger could have thrown it earlier or deeper. Jennings was past the DB and had to throttle down before going to the ball. Another yard or two (or earlier) and he runs right through it into the endzone.

Isn't that the worst part? I just watched it. Jennings had to slow WAY down reducing the chance to catch it. Lucky for us Jennings is an absolute beast and will get that ball more often than not.

Perhaps I'm wrong, and I'm not digging on A-Rod for the sake of digging on him, I think the catch was more impressive than the throw. The distance was phenomenal throw and further than I thought he could chuck it.

Iron Mike
09-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Thats one heck of a hurl. Do we have a highlight anywhere?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neQN1EC5DbE

Lurker64
Perhaps I'm wrong, and I'm not digging on A-Rod for the sake of digging on him, I think the catch was more impressive than the throw. The distance was phenomenal throw and further than I thought he could chuck it.

Well, to be consistent, QBs get credit on deep passes where the WR makes a good play to catch the ball all the time. It happened with Favre, it's going to happen with Rodgers, it pretty much happens every time you have a competent QB and a good WR. Sometimes the WR is going to make the QB look good by making a play.

HarveyWallbangers
Isn't that the worst part? I just watched it. Jennings had to slow WAY down reducing the chance to catch it. Lucky for us Jennings is an absolute beast and will get that ball more often than not.

Give me a break. He threw it 66 yards in the air. There are QBs in the NFL QB Challenge that can't throw it that far and in bounds--much less in a live game putting it within good range for your receiver to make a play. It was a great throw. Arm strength + accuracy on such a deep ball. Did you want him to pull a Mike Vick and throw it out of the stadium?

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2008, 11:35 PM

I disagree. He couldn't throw it earlier because then Tyrell Johnson could have made a play on the ball. He threw it at the right time. If you notice he did a little pump fake, Tyrell Johnson bit on it, and that's what allowed Jennings to get one on one coverage. If he waited any longer, only Jamarcus Russell (from his knees) could have thrown the ball that far. Besides, he also couldn't wait any longer because Jared Allen was about to hit him into next week.

Partial
It's an incredible toss but he threw it a second or so too late. The ball would not have been picked off a fraction of a second sooner. As it was, there was certainly the shot for the INT.

Like I said, I'd be critical of any QB with that toss. Good, but not incredible as I went in expecting. That said, I doubt too many guys can chuck it that far. That's an absolute bear of an arm.

mraynrand

Give me a break. He threw it 66 yards in the air. There are QBs in the NFL QB Challenge that can't throw it that far and in bounds--much less in a live game putting it within good range for your receiver to make a play. It was a great throw. Arm strength + accuracy on such a deep ball. Did you want him to pull a Mike Vick and throw it out of the stadium?

Yep, it was a very nice ball. Still, you gotta watch Jennings on that play - he runs this great pattern to lure the safety inside jumping on a crossing route and then goes deep, using his body to shield the D-back. even with the great grab, Jennings really helped Rodgers on that play with a great route.

mission
09-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Man, if you don't remember tons of Brett Favre long balls coming up short (and sometimes INT) then you just spent too much time in class ...

The first thought I had was ... wow, he still gave him a chance to make a play. I thought FOR SURE that there would be a safety coming over to catch it hanging ... i was just used to that. brett could throw a cannon but he didnt always have the right touch on the long ball... not like a marino had ...

very impressive play... jennings moreso but hey, you gotta give playmakers a chance to make plays. that's what they do.

jennings vs some guy who's a DB because he probably wasnt natural enough with the ball?

ill take my chances with jennings.. fukkin beast!

Partial
09-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Favre doesn't throw a good deep ball so I doubt he would have put it right on the numbers either.

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Yep, it was a very nice ball. Still, you gotta watch Jennings on that play - he runs this great pattern to lure the safety inside jumping on a crossing route and then goes deep, using his body to shield the D-back. even with the great grab, Jennings really helped Rodgers on that play with a great route.

Agreed. It was a fantastic route and a great catch, but let's not minimize the throw. I just watched the replay on the NFL Network's rebroadcast of the game. They showed the play from about 6 different angles. You can tell that Rodgers threw the ball at the right time. He had to give Jennings a chance to set up the safety. I believe Jennings did a slant (medium distance) and go. Great route to sell the slant and then hauled ass on the go. You also could tell that he threw about 66 yards and that Jared Allen would have blindsided him if he held the ball much longer.

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2008, 11:54 PM
I didn't hear anybody get nit-picky on Favre's throw to Jennings last year against Oakland. It was one-on-one coverage. Brett threw it from his own 14 to the Oakland 43 (43 yards) and he underthrew it. I didn't criticize the throw because he gave his playmaker a chance. There was nothing to get nit-picky about ARod's throw on Monday night.

You can go here to see what I'm talking about:
http://www.nfl.com/videos?categoryId=teams
Select Green Bay > Greg Jennings > 2007
You'll see "Greg Jennings Highlight, WK17 vs. Raiders"

Last year, I specifically pointed out Brett's throws at KC and at Denver to point out that he still had good arm strength.

The throw in KC went from the 31 to KC's 21 (48 yards).

The throw on Monday Night (which was a phenomenal throw) went from his own 11 to Denver's 37 (52 yards). This ball by Rodgers traveled about 14 yards further than the Denver throw. Seriously, that's good arm strength.

mraynrand
09-11-2008, 12:36 AM
I didn't hear anybody get nit-picky on Favre's throw to Jennings last year against Oakland. It was one-on-one coverage. Brett threw it from his own 14 to the Oakland 43 (43 yards) and he underthrew it. I didn't criticize the throw because he gave his playmaker a chance. There was nothing to get nit-picky about ARod's throw on Monday night.

You can go here to see what I'm talking about:
http://www.nfl.com/videos?categoryId=teams
Select Green Bay > Greg Jennings > 2007
You'll see "Greg Jennings Highlight, WK17 vs. Raiders"

Last year, I specifically pointed out Brett's throws at KC and at Denver to point out that he still had good arm strength.

The throw in KC went from the 31 to KC's 21 (48 yards).

The throw on Monday Night (which was a phenomenal throw) went from his own 11 to Denver's 37 (52 yards). This ball by Rodgers traveled about 14 yards further than the Denver throw. Seriously, that's good arm strength.

Rodgers threw a nice ball. It was pretty clear they were going to go after the corner and he launched up a strong throw for Jennings to go get. If he was trying to throw it i stride and lead Jennings, it wasn't a great accurate throw. If he was putting it up there for Jennings to go get, it was a good throw, showing well-above NFL average arm strength. My first reaction was thinking back to Walker going to get one of Favre's throws in the that Dec 22, 2003 game, or a jump ball that Moss might grab. I see it as good read on the play, good throw, great catch. I just think that Jennings was more the star on that play than Rodgers, while still giving Rodgers credit for the read and for a throw not many could make (honestly, I'm pretty sure Favre can't throw it 65 yards in the air anymore). (If you go backto the K.C. and Denver games last year, the throws were good, the catches were good, and the reads - especially in K.C. were good)

Noodle
09-11-2008, 10:39 AM
I gotta say, I don't care whether Favre can throw it 60 or 600 yards. Last I checked, he doesn't play for the Pack anymore.

I do care that A-Rod can make the kind of throw he made to Jennings. That's a scary weapon to have in your arsenal, and the Pack can use it to punish teams that try to sit on the slants that have been the bread and butter of the offense.

And I love that Jennings has the talent to pull it in. You add in Jones, and we have some serious vertical threats. Not the Willie Gault kind of phantom threat, but guys who can actually get a step and adjust to the ball, then fight like a beast to bring it down.

Guiness
09-11-2008, 12:06 PM
65 yds in the air? I would think just about any NFL QB can do that - my University QB did it. Kyle Boller, JP Losman, Akili Smith and Rex Grossman can all do it.The question is more do you want them to.

Does he know when he should do it - the QB has to read the coverage, and guess where everyone will be a second and a half later (or however long the ball is in the air). You have to have the WR personnel to go and get the ball. Moss and Cunningham made a living underthrowing balls that Moss came back for, turning the DB around.

I think in pass plays like this often come about because the WR goes back to the huddle and tells the QB he's got the DB's number, and the QB and whoever is calling the plays believes him.

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2008, 01:18 PM
65 yds in the air? I would think just about any NFL QB can do that - my University QB did it. Kyle Boller, JP Losman, Akili Smith and Rex Grossman can all do it.The question is more do you want them to.

Have you ever watched one of those things? Many of the QBs couldn't throw it 65 yards. You'd think they can, but they don't.

Doing a little research.

In 2006, Byron Leftwich won with a 73 yard throw.

In 1998, Favre threw it 76 yards and that was a record at the time.

Couldn't find much else. I know Cunningham had one that was close to 80 yards early in his career, but he threw it out of bounds. That dude had a crazy arm on deep balls.

Being able to throw in those things without a huge windup and without somebody about to crush you is different than throwing it 66 yards in a game. It's impressive. You don't see it too often in a game. I'd guess if Rodgers could throw it 66 yards in a game, he could add several yards in the QB challenge competition where he'd have several throws and would be able to wind up. That would put him amongst the best in that competition. Who knows though? Maybe he threw the ball further than he's ever thrown it.

Guiness
09-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Being able to throw in those things without a huge windup and without somebody about to crush you is different than throwing it 66 yards in a game. It's impressive. You don't see it too often in a game. I'd guess if Rodgers could throw it 66 yards in a game, he could add several yards in the QB challenge competition where he'd have several throws and would be able to wind up. That would put him amongst the best in that competition. Who knows though? Maybe he threw the ball further than he's ever thrown it.

You're quite right, and that was kind of my point - many can do it (in practice) but you don't want them to in a game for various reasons. But what you said - do it w/o a windup, and making sure you've got your arms down to cover your ribs for the shot you're about to take from a 300lb DT...is probably quite true. The list gets shorter in those conditions.

Yet more proof game tape is more important than the combine for drafting.

BTW what did you mean by 'one of those things?' A QB competition?

Chevelle2
09-11-2008, 01:47 PM

Have you ever watched one of those things? Many of the QBs couldn't throw it 65 yards. You'd think they can, but they don't.

Doing a little research.

Couldn't find much else. I know Cunningham had one that was close to 80 yards early in his career, but he threw it out of bounds. That dude had a crazy arm on deep balls.

I heard that Favre was rarely invited because they knew he would have just blown everyone away.

mraynrand
09-11-2008, 01:49 PM

Doing a little research.

I watched the QB competition following the 1995 season. Favre was just launching the deep balls. I think he won with 70+ yards, but you are required to throw it deep and within a narrow margin. So after Favre had thrown his last competetive throw, the other guys kept handing him ball after ball and he was tossing them about 80-85 yards in the air - but out of bounds. I recall seeing Dan McGuire throw something 85 or so yards in the air during a preseason game for Seattle years ago,but the ball was way off the mark.

Rodgers' throw was a very nice, very strong, probably pretty accurate throw. The best thing about it is that it demonstrated, along with a number of his sideline throws, that there is no throw (that elite QBs in the league have) that he can't also make.

(edit: DAN McGuire)

Rastak
09-11-2008, 07:11 PM

Hahaha. Fuck you queens.

It's what I love about PR....intelligent discourse mixed with a bipolar monkeydick!

Variety is the spice of life.

Rastak
09-11-2008, 07:14 PM

Agreed. It was a fantastic route and a great catch, but let's not minimize the throw. I just watched the replay on the NFL Network's rebroadcast of the game. They showed the play from about 6 different angles. You can tell that Rodgers threw the ball at the right time. He had to give Jennings a chance to set up the safety. I believe Jennings did a slant (medium distance) and go. Great route to sell the slant and then hauled ass on the go. You also could tell that he threw about 66 yards and that Jared Allen would have blindsided him if he held the ball much longer.

I haven't watched the replay on Tivo but I thought it was a great throw and a great catch. Gordon (if I recall) had nice coverage but Jennings made a really nice catch. Great concentration on a perfect throw.

cpk1994
09-11-2008, 07:22 PM

Doing a little research.

I heard that Favre was rarely invited because they knew he would have just blown everyone away.Considering he stunk when he did compete in that(other than long distance throw of course) I don't think that is true.