PDA

View Full Version : An Al Harris idea

PaCkFan_n_MD
06-20-2006, 09:40 AM
Since al harris wants a new contract and IMO hes to old for a new one, why not give him however much cap space we have left after we sign our rookies and any other possible cheap free agents. Say we have 2m in space left, why not give him a 2m dollar rise just this year. This way he will be happy this year and maye one more and then we can cut him. This may not be possible for what ever reason, but its just an idea................

PlantPage55
06-20-2006, 09:55 AM
We will need to save SOME for an emergency...what if so many people go down this season that we need to sign a bunch of guys like last year?

Partial
06-20-2006, 09:55 AM
They may need that space to renegoiate later on. Harris has one to two good years max, so i'd wait him out.

Harlan Huckleby
06-20-2006, 11:20 AM
I think Al likes your suggestion a lot.

Willard
06-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Maybe PaCkFan_n_MD IS Al Harris!

retailguy
06-20-2006, 11:45 AM
What message does this proposal send the other 52 players on the team? :shock:

Maybe Al would be the only player in camp the day after that happened.

Packers4Ever
06-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Since al harris wants a new contract and IMO hes to old for a new one, why not give him however much cap space we have left after we sign our rookies and any other possible cheap free agents. Say we have 2m in space left, why not give him a 2m dollar rise just this year. This way he will be happy this year and maye one more and then we can cut him. This may not be possible for what ever reason, but its just an idea................

I could live with that idea, PackFan, rather than turn him flat down.

After all, were there any others in the secondary all that helpful

last year? So maybe as a small thanks? I know, I know, my kind

of thinking would bust the bank, :D

KYPack
06-20-2006, 05:17 PM

You simply can't manage the roster in this fashion. Not only is it a dangerous precedent, you need to maintain a reserve for other moves during the year, as others have mentioned.

We'll be OK at corner this year Harris or no Harris.

woodbuck27
06-20-2006, 05:47 PM
"We'll be OK at corner this year Harris or no Harris." KYPack

Well I won't go that far ( I'm not really excited over the C.Woodson signing as $ could have been better spent ) but for sure Al Harris is not gaining a thing for himself by playing the "Jeee I want more $ routine".

Get in there Alllll, and act like 'a team player'. . . and maybe?

It didn't work for Jawhine Walker and it did for Donald Driver. Which player does Al Harris resemble today? That in essence is. . . what it's always about.Today and certainly 'of late'.

What you did for me (the Packers) TODAY?!!

If Al Harris is wanting to be a problem, so what. . . .we have way. . . . too many other one's.

MadtownPacker
06-20-2006, 06:41 PM
I got much love for Harrisment but NO! DOing this would be a terrible move by TT. Maye add some incentives for INT or something but cant just give him the $$$. He has a fair contract and if he plays lights out this season maybe but I think Carroll is gonna be taking his job.

Packers4Ever
06-20-2006, 09:42 PM

You simply can't manage the roster in this fashion. Not only is it a dangerous precedent, you need to maintain a reserve for other moves during the year, as others have mentioned.

I'm holding you to that, KY ! :smile:

KYPack
06-20-2006, 09:49 PM

OK.

I think Carroll will "get it" in his 3rd year.

Charles Woodson is a "Northern guy" I feel he'll flourish in the WI/Pack environs and will play at a high level.

One or two of the young guys can fill in at nickle & maybe, just maybe Hawkins can help at dime.

If Al Harris wants to get paid, he can play. If not, he can sit.

If I'm wrong, you can tease me, & I'll take it like a man.

Packers4Ever
06-20-2006, 10:03 PM
[quote=PaCkFan_n_MD]]

OK.

I think Carroll will "get it" in his 3rd year.

Charles Woodson is a "Northern guy" I feel he'll flourish in the WI/Pack environs and will play at a high level.

One or two of the young guys can fill in at nickle & maybe, just maybe Hawkins can help at dime.

If Al Harris wants to get paid, he can play. If not, he can sit.

If I'm wrong, you can tease me, & I'll take it like a man.

You're on !! :wink:

PaCkFan_n_MD
06-21-2006, 09:34 AM
looks like al heard my idea and now he's not coming to training camp. sry all :smile:

Run2win38
06-21-2006, 10:41 AM
This pay for performance goes two ways Al

A raise? I am all for it - but lets start of by shrinking your base a bit

And then give you all kinds of incentives to earn big bucks

You players are kind of like little sub-contractors anyway - selling your services - the good small business men and women guarantee their work. If fact you could go out and buy the insurance that protects the Packers in case you screw up a knee or something while performing your job - isn't that what other small buisness men and women have to do in the real world?

What do ya say Al?

Otherwise - shut up and play for what you signed for

MJZiggy
06-21-2006, 10:48 AM
Welcome to the forum Run2win. Hope you like the place.

Run2win38
06-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the welcome MJZiggy

I enjoy the banter taking place here

You all are fun to read - hope I can bring somehting every once and a while

billy_oliver880
06-21-2006, 11:47 AM

Run...you could be like me and bring nothing to the table but post anyways. :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
06-21-2006, 11:52 AM

standards are pretty low. don't hold anything back.

Packers4Ever
06-21-2006, 01:00 PM

Big welcome from me too, Run2win, I think you'll enjoy this forum, well run and lots of great people. Sometimes someone may get a little too flappy but doesn't happen that much.

Now - am I wrong or didn't I read that AC was to be mentored by AL ???

CaptainKickass
06-21-2006, 03:58 PM
I wonder if Carrol knew/had a feeling that AL was gonna pull this BS and that's why he's shut up and accepted the demotion as well as the signing of Chuck W. so well.....

hmmmmmmm???

MJZiggy
06-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Ahh, conspiracy theories in the offseason...I think Carroll shut up and took his demotion because he knew having a hissy fit would get him nowhere but demoted further. There's a time to sit back and take a look at what you still have left to lose. I think this was his wake-up call. Let's see how wide awake he gets.

Harlan Huckleby
06-21-2006, 05:29 PM
It ain't much of a demotion. Caroll will play a lot, probably end up starting some games as injuries occur in secondary. He's young and getting better, Harris and Woodson are well past their prime.

Packers4Ever
06-21-2006, 07:28 PM
Ahh, conspiracy theories in the offseason...I think Carroll shut up and took his demotion because he knew having a hissy fit would get him nowhere but demoted further. There's a time to sit back and take a look at what you still have left to lose. I think this was his wake-up call. Let's see how wide awake he gets.

I'm not sure Carroll even has a clue what a wake up call is, MJ. Everyone's

buzzing about how "improved" he is this year, so far, but I just can't buy

it, at least not yet. He's been 'talked to,' coached, and every other thing

for 2 years to give him that wake up call, but.....I'm afraid I only vision

him as a younger T.O. or one of these "look at me" characters. Maybe

when I see a little maturity developing in him I can speak a little more

kindly. Until then, I'll just watch..... :neutral:

Scott Campbell
06-21-2006, 07:58 PM

I'm not sure Carroll even has a clue what a wake up call is, MJ. Everyone's

buzzing about how "improved" he is this year, so far, but I just can't buy

it, at least not yet. He's been 'talked to,' coached, and every other thing

for 2 years to give him that wake up call, but.....

He came out early. It's not like he entered the league as a 22 year old.

Fritz
06-22-2006, 06:15 AM
What if Ted goes to Al's agent and promises to renegotiate after this season? If he does that and Harris plays well, TT could negotiate a much shorter term deal with higher pay, so the Pack is not stuck paying for Harris when he's sitting in a rocking chair reading the paper with his bi-focals. If Harris plays like crap, TT could say no soap to the guy.

Harlan Huckleby
06-22-2006, 12:39 PM
What if Ted goes to Al's agent and promises to renegotiate after this season?

Nah, that is of little use to Al. He is at age where his bargaining position goes down every year. Harris is gonna get his deal upgrade now or never and he knows it.

He had his shot, 2004, got his $7M nest egg.