PDA

View Full Version : play calling...

gbgary
09-08-2008, 09:33 PM
when the D needed a rest, and time needed to be eaten-up, MM failed them with the play calling. play action roll-out and let aaron get some yards with the arm or legs but you've got to get a first down, or two, late in the game.

Partial
09-08-2008, 09:34 PM
I thought the play calling left a little bit to be desired towards the end. My guess is to take the pressure off A-Rod there. Consequently, it came off as if they didn't trust him to get the job done. Regardless, that penalty was killer and running on 3rd and 10 was equally dumb.

PackerTimer
09-08-2008, 09:38 PM
I was ok with the play calling at the end of the game. Running on third and ten there is ok. Punt the ball and let the defense get a stop. The play call I didn't like was the end of the first half. Take a shot. I can't believe I agreed with Kornhole.

Bossman641
09-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Tauscher's penalty on 2nd down killed them. Once that happened I had no problem with the run on 3rd down to get to the 2 min warning.

Vikings ate up the screens we had tried. Defense had been on the field a lot but I trust them to stop the Vikings.

It wasn't one of MM's better called games though. The penalties didn't help.

VegasPackFan
09-08-2008, 09:40 PM
I agree. If you play fake on the second down play, you know all thos D linemen and Backers are going to bite on it. Rodgers just play fakes, rolls out, and then option for pass or run. WHo knows, he could have ended up all alone there and take it to the house.

mmmdk
09-08-2008, 09:41 PM
McCarthy will rebound at Detroit!

Lurker64
09-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Really, every coach of every team does the same sort of "bad play calling" and while it rankles the fans of virtually every team, it works a lot of the time so they keep doing it. You just have to live with sometimes being disappointed with the play that the coaches called. When the coaches start taking crazy risks that go against the conventional wisdom and they don't work out, that's when those coaches get fired. For example: Mike Martz.

Partial
09-08-2008, 09:47 PM
I was ok with the play calling at the end of the game. Running on third and ten there is ok. Punt the ball and let the defense get a stop. The play call I didn't like was the end of the first half. Take a shot. I can't believe I agreed with Kornhole.

For the 12 seconds or whatever it ran off the clock, I would have gone for it personally and taken 4-5 off in a pass.

gbgary
i love MM but sometimes.... :x

mmmdk
Really, every coach of every team does the same sort of "bad play calling" and while it rankles the fans of virtually every team, it works a lot of the time so they keep doing it. You just have to live with sometimes being disappointed with the play that the coaches called. When the coaches start taking crazy risks that go against the conventional wisdom and they don't work out, that's when those coaches get fired. For example: Mike Martz.

Jerry Glanville :lol:

boiga
09-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Yeah, I really don't understand why we didn't use that third down to make one more attempt for a TD. We were close enough and had the time out to make it happen.

Then again, that conservative play calling won the game for us, Rodgers was well protected, and we didn't have a turn over (some luck with that though.)

PackerTimer
09-08-2008, 09:50 PM

For the 12 seconds or whatever it ran off the clock, I would have gone for it personally and taken 4-5 off in a pass.

You might be right. How much time was left on the clock? I was thinking it was something like 2:30. If you throw and incomplete pass and lost 5 seconds and then a punt with 10 that gives the Vikings the ball back with 2:15 and the two minute warning. Maybe my recollection of how much time was left was wrong.

gbgary
09-08-2008, 09:52 PM
play-action roll-out run/pass option is hardly crazy nor risky. no more than running into a line with stripping the ball the number one thought in their minds.

mission
09-08-2008, 09:53 PM
My stomach was hurting so bad when we punted... I hate that the Packers affect me THAT much... my whole table was so happy to see that interception and they arent even Packer fans. They just wanted me to be a decent guy for the rest of hte night. lol

gbgary
09-08-2008, 09:55 PM
My stomach was hurting so bad when we punted... I hate that the Packers affect me THAT much... my whole table was so happy to see that interception and they arent even Packer fans. They just wanted me to be a decent guy for the rest of hte night. lol

i used to be that way. that subsides as the years pass. :lol: either that or i just got immune to it cuz of the 1000 nail bitters we lived through during the Brett years.

Bossman641
09-08-2008, 09:56 PM

You might be right. How much time was left on the clock? I was thinking it was something like 2:30. If you throw and incomplete pass and lost 5 seconds and then a punt with 10 that gives the Vikings the ball back with 2:15 and the two minute warning. Maybe my recollection of how much time was left was wrong.

If Packers had passed and had an incomplete pass, they would have had to punt with around 2:20 or so left. Vikings would have got the ball back with 2:10 or so and had one play before the 2 min warning. Instead we ran it down to 2 min, punted, and the Vikings took over with around 1:50.

Partial
09-08-2008, 09:58 PM
But if we would have gotten the first down...

Either way, probably was a smart move to get rid of the last clock stoppage for the Vikes, but I like to live dangerously. Partial "danger" Powers, if you will.

Bossman641
09-08-2008, 10:00 PM

Either way, probably was a smart move to get rid of the last clock stoppage for the Vikes, but I like to live dangerously. Partial "danger" Powers, if you will.

What's the chances of picking up a 3rd and 12?

I trust the defense against TJack.

Joemailman
09-08-2008, 10:01 PM
MM played it like Holmgren used to play it. If you're up by more than a field goal late in the game, you bet the other team can't get a TD against your defense. It's the right strategy as long as it works.

Harlan Huckleby
09-08-2008, 10:03 PM
packer fans have some nerve complaining about play calling after this game.

I think the Vikings might have won if they would have fed Peterson the ball more.

Partial
09-08-2008, 10:03 PM

Well, according to A-Rods completion percentage about 4/5 :)

mission
09-08-2008, 10:06 PM

i used to be that way. that subsides as the years pass. :lol: either that or i just got immune to it cuz of the 1000 nail bitters we lived through during the Brett years.

i hope i can grow like that too man! i think a big part is that i want rodgers to succeed and think he has enough pressure on him... last thing i wanted to see was an 0-1 start... people might doubt this, but god damn, i care SO MUCH... too much.

i want to be normal. :D

gbgary
09-08-2008, 10:07 PM

i'm not talking about one play. we had three there to get a first down. just one first down would have done it. as for trusting the D that's fine but they were exhausted from being on the field the whole second half.

texaspackerbacker
09-08-2008, 10:09 PM

I think the Vikings might have won if they would have fed Peterson the ball more.

Amen to that!

If I was a Viking fan, I'd really be raising hell.

The Packer play calling IMO had no glaring problems other than using hindsight. What more do you guys want? We won against an excellent team in a game that wasn't as close as the score, and with a large amount of sloppiness and/or raw deal type penalties (the only ones I really had a quarrel with were the pass interference calls).

gbgary
09-08-2008, 10:12 PM

eight in the box was shutting him down. only when tjack managed to complete a pass or two did it open up a little for ap. that and the d being completely exhausted. if minn had a qb they'd be very good.

rbaloha1
09-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Play calling was fine.

After all its AR's first regular season game. The Vikings also have a good defense.

MM played it like Mangini -- rely on the defense to win the game at the end. Sound strategy given the Packers defense and T. Jackson's lack of experience.

LL2
09-09-2008, 08:40 AM
The play call I didn't like was the end of the first half. Take a shot. I can't believe I agreed with Kornhole.

I think there was 25 seconds on the clock. Rodgers just stood next to the ref for about 20 seconds and then called a timeout. They could've easily got one more play in and try for a TD. Instead they got no points as the FG was blocked. This was the worst call in the game.

cpk1994
09-09-2008, 09:28 AM

If Packers had passed and had an incomplete pass, they would have had to punt with around 2:20 or so left. Vikings would have got the ball back with 2:10 or so and had one play before the 2 min warning. Instead we ran it down to 2 min, punted, and the Vikings took over with around 1:50.Also realize that if the holding call had not occured, the clock would have run to 2:00 \WITHOUT another play. Then you run on 33rd down leaving the VIkes with about 1:05 - 1:10 and have to travel 3/4 of the field. I had no problem with M3 calls at the end of the game.

Bossman641
09-09-2008, 09:52 AM

If Packers had passed and had an incomplete pass, they would have had to punt with around 2:20 or so left. Vikings would have got the ball back with 2:10 or so and had one play before the 2 min warning. Instead we ran it down to 2 min, punted, and the Vikings took over with around 1:50.Also realize that if the holding call had not occured, the clock would have run to 2:00 \WITHOUT another play. Then you run on 33rd down leaving the VIkes with about 1:05 - 1:10 and have to travel 3/4 of the field. I had no problem with M3 calls at the end of the game.

Exactly.

Like I said earlier, the holding penalty is what screwed everything up. The runs on first and second down were absolutely the right call. Everyone is looking back now and saying OMG we ran 3 times for -2 yards. Horrible play-calling.

If everything had gone how it was supposed to we would have run the clock down to 2 min after second down, ran into the middle of the line one more time and forced the Vikings to go 80 yards in a min. I don't think anyone would have had a problem with that situation.

Instead, Tauscher got the holding penalty on 2nd down and we got the worst of both worlds. Negative yards and having to run a 3rd play before the 2 min warning due to a 25 second play clock on the dead ball.

So the only question really then is "Do you trust Rodgers to pick up a 3rd and 12?"

gbgary
09-09-2008, 10:28 AM

Exactly.

Like I said earlier, the holding penalty is what screwed everything up. ...
So the only question really then is "Do you trust Rodgers to pick up a 3rd and 12?"

like i said...just one first down would have done it. keep the ball away from minn and not let them have a chance to win it. the way aaron was playing last night he should have been trusted to pick up that first down. at the risk of being redundant, a play-action roll-out would have been perfect. run if it's there, pass if it's there or throw it away...no harm done. that's it from me on this. now let's kick some lion tail.

Guiness
09-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Like I said earlier, the holding penalty is what screwed everything up. The runs on first and second down were absolutely the right call. Everyone is looking back now and saying OMG we ran 3 times for -2 yards. Horrible play-calling.

Although it was hard to watch, because you knew BJack was going to get no yards, I also agree that it was the right thing to do. I'll take the odds that Tausch doesn't get a holding call every time.

Go for it on 3rd after that call? I don't like it. I wasn't happy with the time left on the clock, because Minn was moving the ball against our D, who was exhausted, but that's a case of taking what's given to you.

The Leaper
09-09-2008, 10:51 AM
If you are just going to run the ball 3 times and give it back to MIN, then take a knee and take the chance of a penalty out of it.

Jackson could have fumbled (he already did once in the game) or you could get a penalty (which we did)...I've always argued it is better to take a knee in those situations. It reduces the potential for unfavorable outcomes.

Guiness
09-09-2008, 11:22 AM
If you are just going to run the ball 3 times and give it back to MIN, then take a knee and take the chance of a penalty out of it.

Interesting. I've never seen or thought of that...

MadtownPacker
09-09-2008, 11:22 AM
I had no issue with that last series by the offense but the 3rd quarter and early 4th playcalls reeked of fear IMO. M3 was playing not to lose and almost did. ARod was ready to let er rip and M3 got all conservative. He will need to give Rodgers a longer lease so he can close out the game.

This game should really have been a blow out with the offensive and ST performance.

boiga
09-09-2008, 11:40 AM
I had no issue with that last series by the offense but the 3rd quarter and early 4th playcalls reeked of fear IMO. M3 was playing not to lose and almost did. ARod was ready to let er rip and M3 got all conservative. He will need to give Rodgers a longer lease so he can close out the game.

This game should really have been a blow out with the offensive and ST performance. I agree, although I can understand where M3 is coming from. He would probably prefer to lose because he was too conservative than because his new young QB makes a horrendous mistake in the 4th quarter. Rodgers had to prove to himself that he can get the job done, and putting too much on his shoulders early might have risked his long term state of mind.

As a fan though, I'll take a flashy win over a conservative one any time. On the other hand, we got a conservative win, which is light years better than a flashy loss.

TennesseePackerBacker
09-09-2008, 12:22 PM

The Vikings fed it to AP plenty in the first half and attempted only 7 passes. The halftime score shouldve been atleast 13-3, AP doesn't become dominant until you get the 8 out of the box. Tjack ended up with 35 attempts, obviously once the Vikes went down 2 scores they had no option but to pass, pass, pass. Childress was a victim of circumstance.

McCarthy on the other hand showed no killer instinct, I dare say Bellicheck would've atleast tossed the fade once. I couldn't believe the Packers didn't atleast run the most low-risk play in the fade to the back of the endzone. That was really the only bad playcalling in my eyes.