PDA

View Full Version : Question about Tony Moll / The penalties...

packers11
09-09-2008, 10:31 AM
I don't get the penalty... He got called for it twice... I understand he can't be blocking down field, but in the Seahawks game (playoffs) someone did the exact same thing... Why didn't they get flagged???

Guiness
09-09-2008, 10:45 AM
I asked this Q in the game thread....

He was called for 'ineligible receiver downfield'. I missed it, but apparently the announcers said it appeared to be A Rod's fault. The call was a run or quick pass play, and Moll was supposed to get to the second level, and block a (LB? Safety?) but Rodgers either held the ball to long before passing, or went to a slower developing route - so by the time he threw, Moll was past the LoS.

Of course, Moll could've also missed an audible?

boiga
09-09-2008, 10:45 AM
It was a good call, just not one that refs are particularly consistent about.

The rule is that an O-linemen can't move more than 1 yrd down field from the rest of the line before the pass is thrown or they are considered an ineligible receiver. Moll had been expecting a run play and fell forward while blocking. Considering that he was laying on the ground at the time, it's a nonsense rule, but it is in the books.

M3 blamed Moll for it because he was a little out of position, run play or no.

vince
09-09-2008, 10:50 AM
This thread from last year explains the rule and covers the lineman downfield rule pretty well...

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=10729&highlight=ineligible+lineman+downfield