PDA

View Full Version : Colt's Mathis = KGB version 2.0

Partial
06-20-2006, 02:13 PM
What a mistake paying this guy 6 mill a year to be a starting DE at 235. Watch as his production falls and they cut him after a year or two.

retailguy
06-20-2006, 02:37 PM
What a mistake paying this guy 6 mill a year to be a starting DE at 235. Watch as his production falls and they cut him after a year or two.

Pass rush skills are worth their weight in gold. He won't be cut after two years....

Partial
06-20-2006, 02:46 PM
His production will drop 10 fold. Especially if they don't resign the guy that gets all the attention on the other end.

retailguy
06-20-2006, 02:54 PM
His production will drop 10 fold. Especially if they don't resign the guy that gets all the attention on the other end.

That remains to be seen, however, a case could be built that the reason Freeney is so successful is because Mathis is on the other side....

I honestly don't expect his "performance" to drop.

Partial
06-20-2006, 03:12 PM
I suspect it will. He plays 35% of the snaps only and that will jump to about 80% now that he's the starter. That is a huge increase, especially when you're 235 and using your quickness to beat 330 pound tackles. Like KGB, he'll be a liability against the run and be much less effective pass rushing.

I don't foresee good things from that. Freeney was around before him, and actually, his rookie year I believe was his most dominant one.

I guarantee this is a huge mistake that is talked about by many analysts for years to come.

KYPack
06-20-2006, 03:55 PM
I noticed in Colt losses this past season, both Pitt and SD ran right at Freeney and Mathis. Guys like this are always better in spot duty than full time work.

Partial
06-20-2006, 04:18 PM
They're both liabilities against the run. Both are undersized and will get owned if a team pounds the ball all game. That's how you beat the colts. Keep their offense off the field and wear down their pass-rushing ends.

They are going to be in trouble without Triplett and Thorton to help stop the run.

HarveyWallbangers
06-20-2006, 05:18 PM
I suspect it will. He plays 35% of the snaps only and that will jump to about 80% now that he's the starter.

If his playing status changes, he'll likely be less effective. However, what makes you think his playing status will change? They still have their starter, Raheem Brock.

Partial
06-20-2006, 05:28 PM
[quote]Mathis, 25, is scheduled to become Indianapolis' full-time starter at left end in 2006 as the Colts revamp their defensive line. Former left end Raheem Brock will move inside to tackle for 2006. At just 235 pounds, Mathis will be one of the lightest defensive ends in the league, and there are some concerns the increased workload may affect his level of play. But coach Tony Dungy said at the team's recent minicamp that coaches will closely monitor his snaps over the course of the season.[/quote

In the same article on ESPN.com, it states that he played 37% and 35% of the defensive snaps the past two seasons respectively. I have a hunch he is going to have a real hard time being an every down player at that size.

woodbuck27
06-20-2006, 06:28 PM
Yup ! Mathis is doing really fine for a 5th Round choice, especially since he was drafted in 2003.

He has had a very impressive sack record, and that's what scores the points. He also is very light for a DE . . .more like a LBer at 6'-2" and 245 lbs. but still; ; ; ; those SACKS . . .

In three NFL seasons, Mathis has 25.5 sacks and has forced 17 fumbles, forcing eight fumbles last season, six in 2004 and three as a rookie.

Those #'s. . .THAT IS WHAT. . . get's the $BUCKS$ for Robert Mathis.

HarveyWallbangers
06-20-2006, 07:43 PM
In the same article on ESPN.com, it states that he played 37% and 35% of the defensive snaps the past two seasons respectively. I have a hunch he is going to have a real hard time being an every down player at that size.

Interesting. Thanks for that note. I still have to believe Brock will get a lot of snaps at DE in the base defense. This is probably as much to reward Mathis as anything. Green Bay never had a solid DE like Brock to pair with KGB, so they asked him to play way more snaps than he should. I'm betting Mathis doesn't get much more than 1/2 the snaps, and that would be the way to use them. Who knows though--maybe Indy will play him more to justify his salary (which is the mistake Green Bay made).

ny10804
06-20-2006, 08:05 PM
Being compared to Kabeer isn't so bad of a thing in my opinion. I will say Robert Mathis is extremely small for a DE -- it would be like AJ Hawk playing DE. I will also say that KGB is a great 2nd and long / 3rd down DE, and that Mike Montgomery should be the running down DE.