PDA

View Full Version : KGB

Brohm
09-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Some think he was a dud, but I thought he looked good last night. Though he was off-sides on that hit, he usually times those well and it was good to see the burst back in him. That sack/hit was textbook and thoughh e was 1/4sec too soon, that's why he was there. With him back up and healthy it gives a huge boost to the pass rush and opens thing up for AK.

That being said, Montgomery was looking good too. Seems we are pretty stacked at DE atm with some good vets, able back-ups and nice prospects.

HarveyWallbangers
09-09-2008, 05:08 PM
I thought the DL played well. The one long run that Peterson had was a poor play by the blitzer, Woodson. Otherwise, they did a decent job on Peterson and they got a good pass rush on.

Maxie the Taxi
09-09-2008, 05:49 PM
I liked the way KGB played too. I was glad to see him in there and I assume, healthy.

bobblehead
09-09-2008, 06:09 PM
I watched that replay 5 times in HD, he was absolutely without question NOT offsides. He guessed the snap count right and shocked the refs by blowing away the tackle....they threw a bad flag.

texaspackerbacker
09-09-2008, 06:12 PM
I was glad a few years when they signed KGB rather than letting him get away. I have, however, gradually changed my mind on that.

As I said in the other thread, he's like a hitter in baseball with "warning track power"--almost always ALMOST getting to the QB.

If he was getting about the same pay as Montgomery or Jason Hunter, I suppose I'd have about as high an opinion of him as I do of those guys, but as it is, he gets paid geometrically more, he seems to get hurt a lot more often, and I don't recall even seeing him contribute on special teams.

red
09-09-2008, 06:14 PM
he's always been just fine on passing plays

but i did see him getting taken right out of the plays on running downs a few times

he's just a liability against the run, like he's always been. great against the pass, horrible against the rush. thats why he can't be an every down DE

enter cullen jenkins

texaspackerbacker
09-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Fine if that's what you call near misses on sacks and jumping offsides chronically.

Brohm
09-09-2008, 06:24 PM
KGB had 9.5 sacks last year before getting hurt and was a consistent double digit sack threat prior to being overused as a starting DE. He was poor against the run (ok being nice there) but his pass rush is something that needs to be accounted for. That being said just having the threat there opens up more 1-on-1 blocking for the rest of the DL on passing downs. Long term, I hope Montgomery, Hunter or Thompson can develop into a more well rounded DE as well as replace KGB's pass rush once he retires.

mission
09-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Fine if that's what you call near misses on sacks and jumping offsides chronically.

Near misses on sacks ALL NIGHT by our whole team last night caused their QB to pass for less than 50% (or helped it at least) ... KGB just is what he is.

And he's of higher value to this team than you think imho..

]{ilr]3
09-09-2008, 06:31 PM
I watched that replay 5 times in HD, he was absolutely without question NOT offsides. He guessed the snap count right and shocked the refs by blowing away the tackle....they threw a bad flag.

I agree! I rewinded it several times as well. He was perfect getting off the line on that sack!

pbmax
09-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Odd how this can change from year to year, but I agree that KGB is close to invaluable on the D Line currently. He backed up the LT on most of his rushes and while he didn't get home often, he forced some early throws when the middle was still clogged by the DTs. He was really close on one of Jackson's scrambles but it looked like he collided with Kampman and AK's blocker and hit the deck before he hit the QB.

Every year I envision releasing him and his salary, but in a way he might be proof that Thompson isn't sacrificing the present for the future. I can't imagine him still on the roster if the guys behind him could be counted on to perform. I hope he stays healthy.

Harlan Huckleby
09-09-2008, 07:28 PM
KGB was working against a THIRD string LT.

pbmax
09-09-2008, 07:47 PM
That was after the half wasn't it Harlan?

KGB was working against a THIRD string LT.

Harlan Huckleby
09-09-2008, 08:10 PM
ok, i don't member exactly when, but he was up against a 2nd stringer until then.

pbmax
09-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Granted. Hopefully, if his knee continues to heal, then his productivity will improve as well.

LEWCWA
09-09-2008, 08:35 PM

I thought that too. It looked like he was right on time...

LEWCWA
09-09-2008, 08:37 PM
I was glad a few years when they signed KGB rather than letting him get away. I have, however, gradually changed my mind on that.

As I said in the other thread, he's like a hitter in baseball with "warning track power"--almost always ALMOST getting to the QB.

If he was getting about the same pay as Montgomery or Jason Hunter, I suppose I'd have about as high an opinion of him as I do of those guys, but as it is, he gets paid geometrically more, he seems to get hurt a lot more often, and I don't recall even seeing him contribute on special teams.

I have to disagree with this completely. KGB is an awsome luxery for a team to have. The guy can flat out get after the QB. The fact that the Packers can afford this luxery is awsome!

The Leaper
09-10-2008, 09:10 AM
KGB might not have gotten any sacks, but he put consistent pressure on the QB in passing situations. That most certainly caused incompletions and reduced the options for the QB.

Sure...he's a liability against the run, but that isn't his role. As a situational pass rusher, KGB is vitally important to this defense. He forces blocking backs to watch both sides of the DL, rather than simply focus entirely on Kampy.

LL2
09-10-2008, 09:14 AM
KGB might not have gotten any sacks, but he put consistent pressure on the QB in passing situations. That most certainly caused incompletions and reduced the options for the QB.

Sure...he's a liability against the run, but that isn't his role. As a situational pass rusher, KGB is vitally important to this defense. He forces blocking backs to watch both sides of the DL, rather than simply focus entirely on Kampy.

I agree...we need KGB. Until TT can find a better DE stud to compliment Kampman we need KGB. Jenkins needs to play better.

Noodle
09-10-2008, 09:29 AM
I think both ends, KGB and Kampman, did an excellent job maintaining outside leverage so that T-Jack couldn't skip out of the pocket and kill the Pack with his legs (which are far more lethal than his arm).

This reduced some of the things KGB and Kampy could do, but it was important to keep T-Jack hemmed in.

Pacopete4
09-10-2008, 09:31 AM
To be honest.... KGB, Montgomery, Jenkins, and Kampy all put pressure on the QB throughout the game.. you can't ask much more than that, our dline rotation showed to still work

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2008, 09:57 AM
I agree...we need KGB. Until TT can find a better DE stud to compliment Kampman we need KGB. Jenkins needs to play better.

McGinn said Jenkins had a good game. I think he got 3 1/2 pressures in the game.

Guiness
09-10-2008, 10:04 AM
coulda worked better - only 1 sack! I've got GB's D in my FF, and pressures don't count :cry:

lol - seriously, I was happy with it too. Jump Pass took a lot of licks Monday night, and was scrambling around a lot too. He managed to escape often enough, like that 18yd scamper in the 4th quarter, but that sort of pressure will result in good things for us.

bobblehead
09-10-2008, 12:56 PM

McGinn said Jenkins had a good game. I think he got 3 1/2 pressures in the game.

I noticed something after a running play when jenkins was in on the tackle, he HOPPED to his feet...more like a 200 pounder would. I know its a little thing and somewhat meaningless in the real picture, but guys who are his size with live bodies and energy are rare. He looked strong and agile in that game and I expect a pretty big year from him.

HarveyWallbangers
09-10-2008, 01:11 PM
He needs to stay healthy though.