PDA

View Full Version : Play Of The Day - Grant's Run To Daylight

Joemailman
09-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Great description and graphic of Grant's 57 yard run which set up the Packers' final touchdown.

http://www.jsonline.com/multimedia/graphic.asp?graphic=http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/sep08/play0908.jpg

NewsBruin
09-09-2008, 09:46 PM
I'm not askng this to further the blocking-style debate, but this was a power-gap play, rather than a zone-block run, correct?

HarveyWallbangers
09-09-2008, 09:56 PM
I'm not askng this to further the blocking-style debate, but this was a power-gap play, rather than a zone-block run, correct?

Hard to say from a graphic, but it looks like a zone-block to me. The interior guys put a double on the DTs and then both got to the second level. The first cutback lane for Grant just happened to be pretty much right up the gut.

We need Nutz or ND to analyze.

NewsBruin
09-09-2008, 10:02 PM
And it says "zone-run" in the bottom, so I jumped before I finished reading.

I just assumed it was power-gap, because I saw the O-line targeting individual linemen and linebackers.

Joemailman
09-09-2008, 10:03 PM
It looks like a zone play to me. The key was that Moll was able to drive Kevin Williams into Greenaway which freed Hall to get out on Sharper.

Farley Face
09-09-2008, 10:07 PM
This was ZBS.

pbmax
09-10-2008, 08:19 AM
I was impressed twice while watching this game by the O Line's run blocking. On this play, Moll simply took Kevin Williams the direction of the play and then didn't let go. In the previous two years, Williams would have slipped that block.

The second was Colledge who actually moved Pat Williams up and back to create a gap between himself and Spitz for Rodgers to sneak the TD. It may no longer be a question of IF they can do it, but how consistently.

McGinn noted that Pat Williams was less of a factor in this game with Spitz on him at center. I wonder if that means he stays there even with Wells getting healthy? If they stick with their philosophy of playing the best five, it will be interesting to see who gets moved to where at Guard and who takes a seat.

pbmax
09-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Video from NFL.com:

Highlights with Packer Radio Network Audio, Grants run starts at 2:55 (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80aa8e32)

Keep watching after the Game Camera angle, because they replay the run from the Sky Cam and it shows you all the blocking covered in this JSOnline piece.

Noodle
09-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Great link, pb!

Notice how, in the second angle, Cliffy follows the play, starts raising his arm, to celebrate, but then puts his head on a swivel, no doubt remembering the cheap hit Sapp put on him.

Guiness
09-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Ya, great highlight video. The first highlight, the long pass to Jennings was something too. I also love that block 57 (Hunter?) threw at the end of Blackmon's TD punt return.

WRT this play - R. Martin was the only receiver? Do they consider him a better blocker, or were they just giving Driver and Jennings a blow?

Hall sure did blow up Sharper. Like it said in the JSO graphic, no one touched him, so he was full steam looking for someone to hit. Humphrey got just enough of Allen to make him change direction and take him our of the play.

Colledge sure did do a great job. Actually, for all our concern about the interior OL, they're the ones that really broke this play. Moll took two guys out of the play, and Henderson over-pursued, and Spitz followed him, then pushed him all the way into the backfield!

The guy who should've made the stop, or at least prevented things from getting out of hand, was the other safety, Johnson. He's the rookie who was pressed into service though, isn't he?

Bossman641
09-10-2008, 11:12 AM
WRT this play - R. Martin was the only receiver? Do they consider him a better blocker, or were they just giving Driver and Jennings a blow?

Ruvell is considered the team's best blocking WR. Ruvell is normally the only WR out there when the Packers go 2 TE, 2 backs, and 1 WR. Sort of a tip off that it's gonna be a run. It'll be interesting to see if MM works a play action out of this formation.

Pacopete4
09-10-2008, 11:16 AM

Ruvell is considered the team's best blocking WR. Ruvell is normally the only WR out there when the Packers go 2 TE, 2 backs, and 1 WR. Sort of a tip off that it's gonna be a run. It'll be interesting to see if MM works a play action out of this formation.

I think they do work a play action outta this.. didn't Brett hit him against the 49ers wide open, I mean like.. no one around him at all from this formation? You're correct he's the best WR Blocker we have but he is also the best jump baller we have to, plus his great size and a lot of the times when you have single wide out, those are the types of WR's you want on the field.. not sure it tips a lot

Guiness
09-10-2008, 11:27 AM
The JSO article said the safety was doubling RM, so I guess the Lions were concerned about a pass to him.

bobblehead
09-10-2008, 01:01 PM
I was impressed twice while watching this game by the O Line's run blocking. On this play, Moll simply took Kevin Williams the direction of the play and then didn't let go. In the previous two years, Williams would have slipped that block.

The second was Colledge who actually moved Pat Williams up and back to create a gap between himself and Spitz for Rodgers to sneak the TD. It may no longer be a question of IF they can do it, but how consistently.

McGinn noted that Pat Williams was less of a factor in this game with Spitz on him at center. I wonder if that means he stays there even with Wells getting healthy? If they stick with their philosophy of playing the best five, it will be interesting to see who gets moved to where at Guard and who takes a seat.

I think wells is done as the starter, but his value as a backup (he started as a guard remember) is still very big as he is definately low end starter material. He can back up center or either guard, and that has value. Problem is that TT doesn't keep "valuable" guys who have maxed out very often so I would bet he plays out his nice contract and is not resigned...I know, I'm looking pretty far ahead.