PDA

View Full Version : Brett the Jet Cover

sheepshead
09-10-2008, 08:40 AM
geez:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2008/09/si-cover-brett-the-jet.html

pbmax
09-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Get used to it, this is what the rest of the country experienced from 1994 to 2007 :lol:

The Leaper
09-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Well, it won't last long.

I expect the Jets to get stomped by a Pats team that everyone has been eager to write off. As much as I hate them, the Pats are the kind of team that will respond well to this adversity. Favre will have a long day this weekend, I think.

LL2
09-10-2008, 09:09 AM
I just wish that Brady didn't get hurt so the Patriots could make him stay on his needs...and hopefully they still will.

LL2
09-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Excellent quote over at JSO by Jimmy Johnson.

Former Dallas Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson of Fox disagreed.

“The Packers had a fading legend at quarterback making $12 million a year,” Johnson said. “In his two previous seasons, he had 47 interceptions, 45 sacks and fumbled the ball 18 times. So when Brett says, ‘Hey guys, I’m retiring,’ the Packers couldn’t wait to shake his hand and say goodbye. Now they are $12 million under the cap. When your skills deteriorate, it’s time to move on.”

sheepshead
09-10-2008, 09:24 AM

“The Packers had a fading legend at quarterback making $12 million a year,” Johnson said. “In his two previous seasons, he had 47 interceptions, 45 sacks and fumbled the ball 18 times. So when Brett says, ‘Hey guys, I’m retiring,’ the Packers couldn’t wait to shake his hand and say goodbye. Now they are $12 million under the cap. When your skills deteriorate, it’s time to move on.”

Hard to argue with facts like that.

Pacopete4
09-10-2008, 09:30 AM
really looked to be fading last season taking the youngest team on his back, specially in the first half of the season, to a 13-3 record and a NFC championship game... every time you tell Brett he can't do something, he'll go do it... so don't be surprised this season if he really does well with the Jets

Scott Campbell
09-10-2008, 10:04 AM
... every time you tell Brett he can't do something, he'll go do it.

What about when Deanna said "hey Brett, you can't keep drinking like this".

mraynrand
09-10-2008, 11:35 AM

It's actually pretty easy to argue with facts like that. First of all, the quote is misleading, since the stats refer to 2005 and 2006. Next, to counter Johnson's argument, just list off Brett's stats from 2007: 4155 yards, 28 TDs, 15 INTs, 15 sacks, 66.5% completions, 9 fumbles (5 lost), 95.7 passer rating, 13-3 record.

The decision to say goodbye to Favre wasn't based on his stats in 2005 and 2006. Jimmy makes it seem as though those stats made the Packers ecstatic about letting him go, as though his skills had diminished to the point where he couldn't play well anymore. It's a bad argument. We know why they moved on; it wasn't primarily for the reasons Jimmy tossed out.

Pacopete4
09-10-2008, 11:47 AM
... every time you tell Brett he can't do something, he'll go do it.

What about when Deanna said "hey Brett, you can't keep drinking like this".

Harder to stop drinking than it is to keep on drinking...

Freak Out
09-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Does it really bother you Sheepdip when you see #4 on the cover a magazine? Why?

Zool
09-10-2008, 02:08 PM
This is the song that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because...This is the song that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because...This is the song that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because...

MadtownPacker
09-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Surprised it took SI this long.

bobblehead
09-10-2008, 04:27 PM

The only point I disagree with is the money...brett redid his contract numerous times to help the team...I was ready to move on, but I never once begrudged him the remainder of his contract.

mraynrand
09-10-2008, 04:34 PM

The only point I disagree with is the money...brett redid his contract numerous times to help the team...I was ready to move on, but I never once begrudged him the remainder of his contract.

You don't dispute the absurdly misleading focus on stats from 2005 and 2006 - completely ignoring his most recent year? Johnson should at least be flogged for ignoring that (or the person posting this for leaving out that qualification if Jimmy made it).

GBRulz
09-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Is this one for sale right next to the Special Edition Retirement Issue? :wink:

So he's on a magazine cover...why are some of you so pissy about it, geez.

mmmdk
09-10-2008, 08:20 PM
really looked to be fading last season taking the youngest team on his back, specially in the first half of the season, to a 13-3 record and a NFC championship game... every time you tell Brett he can't do something, he'll go do it... so don't be surprised this season if he really does well with the Jets

The one guy that needs due credit is coach McCarthy; McCarthy did wonders with a declining Favre. Granted, Favre is still a top 10-12 NFL QB, at least he was in 2007. 2008? Jets 1 Dolphins 0...the Fins??? :P With that said; I think Mr. September/October will do fine vs Pats at the Meadows on sunday.

Iron Mike
09-10-2008, 09:55 PM

"When your skills deteriorate, it’s time to move on.”

I guess he would know.....getting beat 62-7 while coaching his last game. :bs:

GrnBay007
09-10-2008, 10:53 PM
So he's on a magazine cover...why are some of you so pissy about it, geez.

No kidding! Why? The Packers no longer wanted him. He moved on and is still noteworthy. It's pretty naive to think this would NOT happen.

It's kinda funny actually. There was all this talk about this whole deal being similar to a divorce. What I'm seeing is one party moving on and many fans being very angry by that. Kinda like the old break up...."I don't want you anymore, but I'll be damned if I let anyone else have you"

The guy still wanted to play football. Be happy for him and wish him well. Be happy for Rodgers finally getting to start and wish him well. Really, it's possible to do both!!

MadtownPacker
09-10-2008, 10:54 PM
geez:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2008/09/si-cover-brett-the-jet.htmlWhy didnt you put this in the Favre thread?

Brainerd
09-11-2008, 05:52 AM

It's actually pretty easy to argue with facts like that. First of all, the quote is misleading, since the stats refer to 2005 and 2006. Next, to counter Johnson's argument, just list off Brett's stats from 2007: 4155 yards, 28 TDs, 15 INTs, 15 sacks, 66.5% completions, 9 fumbles (5 lost), 95.7 passer rating, 13-3 record.

The decision to say goodbye to Favre wasn't based on his stats in 2005 and 2006. Jimmy makes it seem as though those stats made the Packers ecstatic about letting him go, as though his skills had diminished to the point where he couldn't play well anymore. It's a bad argument. We know why they moved on; it wasn't primarily for the reasons Jimmy tossed out.

Yeah, and that Johnson is a friggin Ex-Cowboy that told everyone he could get the Dolphins to the Superbowl when Don Shula could not. Guess what? They fired Shula and hired Johnson. The result? Johnson was the HC of the greatest Dolphin playoff defeat in history. They lost 62-7. In the playoffs!!! And what did Johnson do the following day? He quit! Johnson is a blowhard loser tool.

Is the hatred towards Favre so great now that its come to using Jimmy Johnson quotes to bash the greatest QB in Packers history? And us Favre fans aren't real Packer fans?

Deputy Nutz
09-11-2008, 08:43 AM
geez:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2008/09/si-cover-brett-the-jet.htmlWhy didnt you put this in the Favre thread?

He is an ego maniac.