PDA

View Full Version : Be glad the Packers are not in this boat

CaliforniaCheez
09-10-2008, 08:45 AM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080910/COL08/809100351/1049/SPORTS01

DETROIT FREE PRESS
BY DREW SHARP • FREE PRESS COLUMNIST • September 10, 2008

If Lions don't beat Packers, Rod Marinelli's in trouble

The perverse timing could only be categorized as classic Lions.

Fox broke for commercial during Sunday's Lions-Falcons broadcast, right after Atlanta took a stunningly quick 21-0 first-quarter lead. And the commercial was for Lions season tickets, complete with the team's "Believe in Now" sales pitch.

I'm sure when the team bought the time, they figured a strong start against the 33rd-ranked team in a 32-team league would result in phones ringing off hooks in Allen Park.

Instead the Lions find themselves on familiar ground, quelling doubts regarding their competence while trying to keep such qualms from filtering into players' heads.

There's trouble when the coach speaks of keeping the locker room together and avoiding finger-pointing after one game. There's trouble when a team takes an alleged lesser opponent for granted, as some Lions conceded was the case Sunday against Atlanta.

That speaks to a lack of preparation and execution.

And that speaks to a lack of coaching.

But Marinelli being a good man with convictions has nothing to do with whether he's up to the extraordinary challenges of becoming a successful NFL coach.

It's only Week 2 of Year 3, but Marinelli faces his first ultimatum game.

It's win or else against Green Bay on Sunday.

Lose and the season's over in two weeks. Lose and the internal doubts intensify. Lose and William Clay Ford should immediately gauge Bill Cowher's interest in returning to the sidelines in 2009 after a three-year detour to the television studio.

Perhaps that's a harsh assessment, but it's a direct response to the "Believe in Now" dictum. Marinelli speaks in the commercial about how all that matters is "right here, right now."

He's confronting his first critical crossroads right here, right now.

Marinelli filled the locker room with his guys for this very purpose. He wants veterans who knew him during his assistant days at Tampa Bay to watch his back. He wants fiery personalities who, like him, are sickened at the mere thought of not giving maximum effort.

But it's not leadership when Jon Kitna chews out an assistant coach during the game. There are inevitably short fuses in heated competition, but Kitna's reaction resembled a meltdown, borne from the frustration of a season potentially unraveling before it even began.

Although Marinelli preaches calm and continuity, the Lions must display a sense of urgency against the Packers. Aaron Rodgers didn't look as scared and tentative as many thought he would when he officially succeeded Brett Favre at quarterback in the Packers' Monday night victory against Minnesota.

The Lions already are in full-bunker mode. And they have only themselves to blame.

Now they're not even guaranteed a sellout for their home opener Sunday against the Packers.

The Lions have until 1 p.m. Thursday to sell about 4,500 remaining tickets or risk the first non-sellout for a regular-season game in Ford Field's six-year history.

It's interesting to note the Lions are offering special $99 single-game ticket packages to spur stagnant sales. Buyers get two tickets, two hot dogs, two drinks and two blindfolds.

Maybe they should offer two barf bags, as well.

It has to tough being a Lions fan. Do they deserve an award for perseverence or be condemned for continuing with the futility??

It isn't fun and I can't bring myself to talk "smack" to a Lions fan. I feel sorry for them. Last year when fans at Lambeau were holding up "KEEP MILLEN" signs it had to hurt.

The Leaper
09-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Forget Marinelli. I think the guy who is more likely to get canned immediately is Matt Millen.

Carolina_Packer
09-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Forget Marinelli. I think the guy who is more likely to get canned immediately is Matt Millen.

Should be, but he seems to have incriminating photos of the Ford family, and is inexplicably still there after many years of futility. Why now?

Guiness
09-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Um, is that $99 ticket special for real? (yes, I know there are no blindfolds!!)
I might take a spin down! It's not a bad drive for me...

wrt the main part of the article...um, expecting a win against a top 5 team in the NFL is a little much at this point, isn't it? Would they expect a win against Dallas or SD?

*off to check*
mmmm - they have tickets for $46/each in the upper section, $79 in the lower (bad corner seats). No mention of a special though. Those prices seem a little low, but I'm not sure, I don't know what regular prices are there.

oregonpackfan
09-10-2008, 11:23 AM
With Ford as the owner and Millan as the GM, the Lions are destined for mediocrity for years to come. Even if a fine coach like Bill Cowher took over, he would be handcuffed by having to deal with the decisions of Ford and Millan, IMO.

Lurker64
09-10-2008, 11:40 AM
wrt the main part of the article...um, expecting a win against a top 5 team in the NFL is a little much at this point, isn't it? Would they expect a win against Dallas or SD?

I think it's less of an issue that "The Lions are in trouble if they don't win this weekend, since they have a reasonable chance of doing based on what they've said and what they've done in the offseason" and more of an issue that "the embarrassing loss to the Falcons put the Lions in a really bad position to start the season, so much so that if they don't at least show a pulse against the Packers this week, the finger pointing and recrimination might pull the locker room apart." If they play well and lose they're probably okay since they can point to: a) Progress and b) They played a good team. But if they're getting run out of the stadium like they were against Atlanta, so much so that the QB and the top two WRs ended up screaming their heads off at the coaches, enough to get them to mostly abandon the run (something contrary to the Marinelli philosophy) which at least got the final number not look like the butt-kicking they got, the Lions are in serious trouble.

Pugger
09-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Their QB and 2 WRs were seen screaming at coaches? Egad, that team is indeed in trouble. But I guess that will happen when you have decades of losing seasons. :roll: Let's hope they don't come out as wounded animals on Sunday...

The Leaper
09-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Should be, but he seems to have incriminating photos of the Ford family, and is inexplicably still there after many years of futility. Why now?

It is far easier to replace a front office person right now than it is a coach. Coaches are typically replaced during the offseason.

If they decide to clean house, Millen should be the first to go.

mngolf19
09-10-2008, 01:02 PM

It is far easier to replace a front office person right now than it is a coach. Coaches are typically replaced during the offseason.

If they decide to clean house, Millen should be the first to go.

But it never happens with Millen. Like Carolina said, Millen must have pics of the Ford family. They are currently the worst franchise in the league and have been for decades literally.

SkinBasket
09-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Lose and William Clay Ford should immediately gauge Bill Cowher's interest in returning to the sidelines in 2009 after a three-year detour to the television studio.[/b]

I don't think someone like Cowher touches that job until Millen is gone. He's got enough sense to know whatever coach takes that job is going to be fighting against incompetence from all angels. It's really amazing how they've churned through coaches and coordinators while Millen just hangs out, tries to start fights with players, and calls everyone fags. Oh, and once a year completely fucks up their draft.

sheepshead
09-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Or the Raiders or the 49ers.

MadScientist
09-10-2008, 02:44 PM
But it never happens with Millen. Like Carolina said, Millen must have pics of the Ford family. They are currently the worst franchise in the league and have been for decades literally.

Having a pathetically run franchise as a division opponent should be a good thing for both of our teams. But it's not. If the Packers win, it's expected, if they loose it's stunningly bad.

This is a team that the Packers have been playing for 80 years, and the rivalry barely rates above 'meh'.

Zool
09-10-2008, 02:46 PM
This is a team that the Packers have been playing for 80 years, and the rivalry barely rates above 'meh'.

Thats a good point. The Lions are an after thought yearly and its really too bad. Detroit has some crazy die-hard fans.