PDA

View Full Version : The Packers Greatest player - Don Hutson?

woodbuck27
06-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Don Hutson
Winning Respect

By Ralph Hickok

It took Don Hutson a long time to win respect.

He was a pretty good high school football player in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, but at 6 feet tall and only 160 pounds, no one thought of him as a prospect during those single-platoon days, when an end had to play defense as well as offense.

However, a high school teammate was recruited by the University of Alabama and said he wouldn't go unless his friend, Don Hutson, could go, too. So Alabama Coach Wallace Wade reluctantly accepted Hutson.

Hutson starred as a sprinter on the track team, but didn't become a starting end until near the end of his junior season. Then, as a senior in 1934, he suddenly blossomed, winning All-America honors and catching six passes for 165 yards and two touchdowns in Alabama's 29-13 Rose Bowl victory over Stanford.

By then, Hutson weighed 175 pounds, which still wasn't enough to impress most NFL coaches. After all, as a professional, he would be up against much bigger players than he'd faced in most of his college games, and his size would be a terrific handicap on defense.

There was no college draft in those days, so teams were free to bid for Hutson's services. Only two were interested: The Green Bay Packers and the Brooklyn Dodgers. (Yes, Virginia, there really was a football team with that name.)

Hutson eventually signed with the Packers, but he still didn't seem to get much respect. He didn't even play in their first game of the season. When he lined up at left end in their second game, against the Chicago Bears, the Bears hardly seemed to notice. They were more worried about the dangerous veteran Johnny Blood, who was flanked to the right.

The Packers were on their own 17-yard line, but they were about the only team in the NFL that would pass from that position. Tailback Arnie Herber took the snap, the Bears double-covered Blood and halfback Beattie Feathers covered Hutson. Hutson faked to the outside, cut back to the inside, and flew past Feathers. He caught Herber's pass in stride just across the fifty and went on to score. An 83-yard touchdown reception on his first play from scrimmage--not bad.

But, despite the fact that he put up unheard-of pass reception numbers during his first four seasons, many hard-bitten NFL players were still scornful of Hutson because he wasn't really a full-time player. When the Packers kicked off to open a game, he didn't start, and he was often taken out during games so that someone bigger and stronger could replace him on defense.

In the middle of the 1939 season, Coach Curly Lambeau came up with a brilliant idea. On defense, he began using blocking back Larry Craig to play defensive end, while Hutson moved back to safety.

Hutson quickly established himself as one of the best defensive backs in the NFL. In 1940, he not only caught a record 45 passes, he tied for the league lead with 6 interceptions.

But 1942 was his greatest season. In fact, it was one of the greatest seasons any NFL player has ever had. Hutson caught 74 passes that year for 1,211 yards and 17 touchdowns. He also intercepted 7 passes, kicked 33 extra points and a field goal, and totaled 138 points.

Those numbers may not seem like much today, but Hutson did it in just 11 games. Projected over a 16-game season, he would have had 108 receptions, 1,761 yards, and 25 TDs.

Hutson caught more passes that year than the entire Detroit Lions team; he had more reception yardage than two of the ten NFL teams and more touchdown receptions than six of them.

When Hutson retired after the 1945 season, he held virtually every NFL receiving record: Most receptions in a game, season, and career; most reception yardage in a game, season and career, and most touchdown receptions in a game, a season, and a career. He was also the NFL's single-season and career scoring leader.

Hutson's TD record in 1942 was like Babe Ruth's 60 home runs in 1927.

Ruth's record wasn't broken for 34 years. Hutson's record stood even longer, until Mark Clayton of Miami caught 18 touchdown passes in 1984. That was 42 years after Hutson's incredible season. And Clayton was in 14 games, to Hutson's 11, in an era when the forward pass played a much bigger role in football than it had in Hutson's day.

His receiving records have gradually fallen as seasons have lengthened and offenses have become more pass-oriented. He hasn't exactly been forgotten--when he died last year, there were fairly lengthy obits in a lot of sports sections--but he isn't nearly as well remembered as he ought to be.

Unfortunately, many pro football fans seem to think that the sport didn't begin until it was nationally televised. While baseball fans still honor the memories of Ruth, Cobb, Honus Wagner, and many other great players from the distant past, Hutson is only vaguely known, along with such other antediluvian stars as Bronko Nagurski, Benny Friedman and Arnie Herber.

ny10804
06-20-2006, 08:01 PM
I think Don was the greatest two-way player of all-time. What he did would be unprecedented in today's game, so yes, I think he is one of the greatest Packers of all-time -- the greatest would be a tie between him and Brett.

The Shadow
06-20-2006, 08:43 PM
Bart Starr!

KYPack
06-20-2006, 09:43 PM
Don was such an incredible football player that it took years for his records to even seem believable. Don was like a "Back to the future" player. It was like he came from the present and was projected back to '35-'45.

Some of his records seem amazing even in a present context, One that always blows my mind is some of his scoring records. Don scored 29 points against the Lions is a single quarter! He caught 4 TD passes in the second quarter and wound up scoring 31 points in the game.

Spaulding
06-21-2006, 11:39 AM
C'mon, gotta be Barty Smith. :D

Tony Oday
06-21-2006, 11:43 AM
hehe MAx McGee :) You have to love a guy playing football hung over!

woodbuck27
06-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Don was such an incredible football player that it took years for his records to even seem believable. Don was like a "Back to the future" player. It was like he came from the present and was projected back to '35-'45.

Some of his records seem amazing even in a present context, One that always blows my mind is some of his scoring records. Don scored 29 points against the Lions is a single quarter! He caught 4 TD passes in the second quarter and wound up scoring 31 points in the game.

Don Hutson would certainly be considered the GREATEST Packer by the older generation. I started in the beginning of the Lombardi Era so didn't see him but ALL I've read says he was the GREATEST.

Reggie 92
06-21-2006, 08:28 PM
I'm obviously a bit biased in my opinion but I'd have to say Reggie White is the "greatest" Packer ever. If you could draw up the perfect defensive end, (Pass rushing/run stopper, power, agility, leadership, dominance, and production) I feel he possessed all those attributes and then some.

Reggie is in the top ten list of any NFL player, regardless of position, from any era, IMO.

KYPack
06-21-2006, 09:16 PM
The Pack has had so many great players, it's hard to pick one great one:

Favre? sure
Reggie? a legend
Starr? 5 titles don't lie

Thanks to everybody who mentioned Don Hutson. I can think of no other legendary player who is so unknown. I heard of Don in my youth from the old time Packer fans who were still awed by this Superstar. I even got to talk to Champ Seibold many times. Champ was a teammate of Don's for 4 years, and told many stories about the great Don Hutson. Many of the stories were pertaining to Don's character, rather than his fabulous exploits on the field.
Don was a true Southern gentleman, quiet and humble to a fault. He was universally loved by all his teammates. He was really a humble guy and would always credit his teammates for his success.

On the field, it was another story. Don was a fierce competitor. He was much quicker and had far more speed than the average player of his day. Don could run a legit 9.7 hundred yard dash. He was about as fast in full football gear. When you see the old films of the footballers of the 30's and 40's, they look funny, kind of herky jerky. Not the flicks with Hutson in them, Don was fast and smooth. In the still pictures of Hutson you see him 5 & 10 yards behind the defensive backs, with Don a picture of grace & the DB with a frantic look on his face.

People talk of Jerry Rice, TO and the other guys of today. Yeah, they are great, but did they ever catch 220 - 300 passes in a single season? that's what they would have to do to equal the accomplishments of Hutson.

Don made another contribution to football that is often overlooked. When Hutson started in pro ball, ends played a few yards from the end of the line and ran simple routes like a down & in or a hook pattern. When Don retired, ends played like wide recivers. Pass routes also evolved. Why,?because teams weree copying Hutson and the Packers. The hook and go, the false shake, z in and z out routes were pioneered by Herber, Isbell, and Hutson.

I sit in my office as I type this, &I look at a picture of Javon Walker on the June calender page. There's a Packer trivia question on the bottom of the page.

Who were the two Packers who earned consensus All Pro honors a club record 5 times?

Well kids, waddaya say?

b bulldog
06-21-2006, 09:25 PM
Hutson is the best and he is also one of the NFL's alltime greatest.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-21-2006, 10:57 PM
I would take Bill Schroeder over Hutson anyday. I mean, Schroeder is 6'4" and runs the 40 in 4.2 seconds. Too bad, Schroeder played in a different era. Hutson played in a era where there wasn't a lot, if any, black CBs.

oregonpackfan
06-21-2006, 11:13 PM
I have already posted a couple of times that my Dad was at the game where Don Hutson scored 4 TD passes in a QUARTER. He stated that after the second TD, the opposition put 2 cornerbacks on him--one to hold him up at the line or scrimmage/knock him off his route and the second one to actually cover Hutson if he got past the first defender.

Through shifty moves and sheer grit, Hutson was a phenomenal receiver--particularly in the day where the majority of offensive plays were running plays.

Oregonpackfan

red
06-22-2006, 07:46 AM
we had this same talk over at packerchatters a couple of months ago, "who was the greatest packer", and it pretty much boiled down to brett and bart (IMO brett is the better qb, star threw almost as many int's as td's).

but then someone chimmed in with something lee remmel said. they said Lee considered Hutson the best ever.

it really is hard to argue with the team historian who's pretty much been there and seen it all

when you look at the numbers he put up compared to what others were putting up at the same time its amazing. not only did he shatter the records befor him, but he set the bar so high that it wouldn't be touched until the 80's. it is just like what ruth did. before babe ruth the single season hom e run record was something like 15, then he got 50-something, then took it up to 60. and if it wasn't for the roid-era that 60 would still be a god-like figure today

hutson did for catching the ball what ruth did for hitting the ball out of the park

woodbuck27
06-22-2006, 08:02 AM
"Who were the two Packers who earned consensus All Pro honors a club record 5 times?" KYPack

consensus All Pro honors ? Not sure what that means KYPack but. . .

Note: In 1931, the NFL picked its first All-League Team

**HOFer DE/Dt Reggie White "The Minister of Defense" was elected to 13 straight Pro Bowls. . .Named All-Pro 13 of 15 seasons including 10 as first-team selection. Recorded more sacks (124) than games played (121) in eight seasons with Eagles. . .Became Packers’ all-time sack leader with 68.5. . .Recorded 12 seasons with 10-plus sacks. . . NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 1987, 1998. . In 1993,White became the first big name free agent to switch teams. He joined the Green Bay Packers and instantly helped turn the fortunes of the once-proud franchise.

The team steadily improved and in 1996 returned to glory with White leading the NFL's top ranked defense to playoff and Super Bowl victories. In Super Bowl XXXI he recorded a record three sacks.

** HOFer Don Hutson 1935-45, was All-NFL 9 years and league MVP on two ocassions 1941 and 1942. NFL's first "super end". . .Also placekicked, played safety. . . NFL receiving champ eight years. . .Topped scorers five times. He wound up with 99 career touchdown receptions, a record that stood for more than four decades. When Hutson retired in 1945 after 11 superb seasons, he held 18 NFL records, including 488 career receptions.

That was 200 more than his closest competitor.

** No offensive lineman was more decorated than HOFer T Forrest Gregg in the 1960s. He played in nine Pro Bowls (1960-65, 1967-69) and was All-Pro eight straight years (1960-67). In 1965, he was named All-Pro at both tackle and guard, where he filled in for an ailing Jerry Kramer.

** HOFer safety Willie Wood 1960-71 was recognized as a premier free safety in the NFL. He became a starter in his sophomore 1961 season and held that job for more than a decade until his retirement following the 1971 campaign.

Willie played in eight Pro Bowls (1962, 1964-70) he won first - or second - team All-NFL honors nine times in a nine-year stretch from 1962 through the 1970 season. Willie Wood was All-NFL six times and played in six NFL championships,and Super Bowls I, II.

** During his final two years in Green Bay, HOFer WR James Lofton broke two of the Packers' most enduring receiving records. In 1985, he surpassed Don Hutson's career receiving yardage (7,991). A year later, he bettered Hutson's standard for most passes caught (488).

A seven-time Pro Bowler with the Packers, Lofton was traded to the Los Angeles Raiders after the 1986 season, played with three other teams and retired in 1993.

** During his career 1953-63, HOFer C Jim Ringo played in seven Pro Bowls (1958-64). He was named All-Pro six times.

**HOFer DB Herb Adderley played in five Pro Bowls (1964-68).

** HOFer DE Willie Davis 1960-69 never missed a game in his career and played in five Pro Bowls (1964-68).

MJZiggy
06-22-2006, 08:04 AM
Nice analogy Red. I learn so much from you guys.

KYPack
06-22-2006, 12:43 PM
"Who were the two Packers who earned consensus All Pro honors a club record 5 times?" KYPack

consensus All Pro honors ? Not sure what that means KYPack but. . .

Note: In 1931, the NFL picked its first All-League Team

**HOFer DE/Dt Reggie White "The Minister of Defense" was elected to 13 straight Pro Bowls. . .Named All-Pro 13 of 15 seasons including 10 as first-team selection. Recorded more sacks (124) than games played (121) in eight seasons with Eagles. . .Became Packers’ all-time sack leader with 68.5. . .Recorded 12 seasons with 10-plus sacks. . . NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 1987, 1998. . In 1993,White became the first big name free agent to switch teams. He joined the Green Bay Packers and instantly helped turn the fortunes of the once-proud franchise.

The team steadily improved and in 1996 returned to glory with White leading the NFL's top ranked defense to playoff and Super Bowl victories. In Super Bowl XXXI he recorded a record three sacks.

** HOFer Don Hutson 1935-45, was All-NFL 9 years and league MVP on two ocassions 1941 and 1942. NFL's first "super end". . .Also placekicked, played safety. . . NFL receiving champ eight years. . .Topped scorers five times. He wound up with 99 career touchdown receptions, a record that stood for more than four decades. When Hutson retired in 1945 after 11 superb seasons, he held 18 NFL records, including 488 career receptions.

That was 200 more than his closest competitor.

** No offensive lineman was more decorated than HOFer T Forrest Gregg in the 1960s. He played in nine Pro Bowls (1960-65, 1967-69) and was All-Pro eight straight years (1960-67). In 1965, he was named All-Pro at both tackle and guard, where he filled in for an ailing Jerry Kramer.

** HOFer safety Willie Wood 1960-71 was recognized as a premier free safety in the NFL. He became a starter in his sophomore 1961 season and held that job for more than a decade until his retirement following the 1971 campaign.

Willie played in eight Pro Bowls (1962, 1964-70) he won first - or second - team All-NFL honors nine times in a nine-year stretch from 1962 through the 1970 season. Willie Wood was All-NFL six times and played in six NFL championships,and Super Bowls I, II.

** During his final two years in Green Bay, HOFer WR James Lofton broke two of the Packers' most enduring receiving records. In 1985, he surpassed Don Hutson's career receiving yardage (7,991). A year later, he bettered Hutson's standard for most passes caught (488).

A seven-time Pro Bowler with the Packers, Lofton was traded to the Los Angeles Raiders after the 1986 season, played with three other teams and retired in 1993.

** During his career 1953-63, HOFer C Jim Ringo played in seven Pro Bowls (1958-64). He was named All-Pro six times.

**HOFer DB Herb Adderley played in five Pro Bowls (1964-68).

** HOFer DE Willie Davis 1960-69 never missed a game in his career and played in five Pro Bowls (1964-68).

WB,

Selection to the Pro Bowl and consensus All-Pro are two different things (BTW, this ain't to argue, it's a confusing deal)

The Pro Bowl is an All Star game. Although some participants claim All Pro status, that is reserved for consensus All Pro's.

Consensus All Pro's are players that are named to the All Pro Team by 3 out of the 5 top News sources (eg AP, UPI, Sporting News, Pro Football Writers of America, etc.)

My office Packer calendar is wrong again.

the answer to the trivia question i posted is listed as Don Hutson & Jim Ringo.

Don Hutson was a Consensus All Pro 11 TIMES!

woodbuck27
06-22-2006, 12:47 PM
WB,

"Selection to the Pro Bowl and consensus All-Pro are two different things (BTW, this ain't to argue, it's a confusing deal)

The Pro Bowl is an All Star game. Although some participants claim All Pro status, that is reserved for consensus All Pro's.

Consensus All Pro's are players that are named to the All Pro Team by 3 out of the 5 top News sources (eg AP, UPI, Sporting News, Pro Football Writers of America, etc.)

My office Packer calendar is wrong again.

the answer to the trivia question i posted is listed as Don Hutson & Jim Ringo.

Don Hutson was a Consensus All Pro 11 TIMES!" KYPack

Got ya.

bbbffl66
06-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Hutson and Sharpe are by far the 2 greatest Packer receivers. My pick for all time Packer though is #66. Ray was by far the most dominant defenseman on a great defensive team. 1962? title game MVP. HOF. Heart of Lombardi's defense.

woodbuck27
06-22-2006, 03:35 PM
Hutson and Sharpe are by far the 2 greatest Packer receivers. My pick for all time Packer though is #66. Ray was by far the most dominant defenseman on a great defensive team. 1962? title game MVP. HOF. Heart of Lombardi's defense.

Don't forget James Lofton . . . but my All-Time favourite Packer on "D" was easily that Ray fella. . . with the funny Irish name.

Fritz
06-22-2006, 04:04 PM
I would take Bill Schroeder over Hutson anyday. I mean, Schroeder is 6'4" and runs the 40 in 4.2 seconds. Too bad, Schroeder played in a different era. Hutson played in a era where there wasn't a lot, if any, black CBs.

You're a funny guy, Tank. Hah hah.

Hutson was hands down best ever. Look at his numbers extrapolated over 16 games. 108 catches? 25 touchdowns? And I bet he didn't get nearly as many passes thrown his way as a T.O. or a Randy Moss would.

Harlan Huckleby
06-22-2006, 06:39 PM
I would take Bill Schroeder over Hutson anyday. I mean, Schroeder is 6'4" and runs the 40 in 4.2 seconds.

I would take Darren Charles over Bill Schroeder. DC is a warrior!

Anti-Polar Bear
06-22-2006, 08:41 PM
I would take Bill Schroeder over Hutson anyday. I mean, Schroeder is 6'4" and runs the 40 in 4.2 seconds.

Charles is 6'6" and runs the 4o in 6.7 seconds. Charles can't even make the team with the Titans, which has Drew Benett and Tyrone Calico starting. Benett and Calico??? WTF!

Schroeder played 7 years in the NFL, including 5 with the Packers, and managed to start 78 of 111 possible games. If Schroeder was playing in the Hutson era, he would have tore that league apart. We all know a WR is not a good WR until he excells against black CBs. Schroeder excelled.

woodbuck27
06-22-2006, 09:39 PM
"If Schroeder was playing in the Hutson era, he would have tore that league apart. We all know a WR is not a good WR until he excells against black CBs. Schroeder excelled." APB

Nope on this one, APB. Hint below.

During his final two years in Green Bay, HOFer WR James Lofton broke two of the Packers' most enduring receiving records. In 1985, he surpassed Don Hutson's career receiving yardage (7,991). A year later, he bettered Hutson's standard for most passes caught (488).

note: Don Hutson retired as a Packer in 1945. His Packer records stood for 40 fricken years.

Oh, I'll toss this in there.

Like everyone in the days before free substitution, Hutson was a 60-minute player who spent most of his career as a very fine safety on defense. In his final six seasons, he swiped 30 opposing quarterbacks’ passes. Often after scoring a touchdown, he would kick the extra point. In one quarter of a 1945 game, he caught four touchdown passes and kicked five PATs for an amazing 29 points.

When Sterling Sharpe was laying claim to being the finest Packer WR ever, James lofton said more or less. . ."NO, maybe the third best, and the BEST ever Packer WR, was Don Hutson."

Current and former Packer executives, such as Bob Harlan and Ron Wolf have traditionally referred to Hutson as the greatest player the game has known.

Oh . . and did Bill Schroeder have a street or building named after him? Did he ever have his number retired?

Hutson has been honored in a variety of ways. Don Hutson Street in Green Bay is named for him, his #14 was the first number retired by the Packers, he is a member of the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame, and in 1994 the Packers named their new state-of-the-art indoor practice facility across the street from Lambeau Field the "Don Hutson Center".

For a story on one of his #14 jerseys that now is in the Packers HOF. Link below:

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2005/09/02/1/

Tank, it's well supported that Hutson isn't just a Packer Great at WR but arguably the Greatest Footbal player in NFL History.

You really do LOVE Bill Schroeder though. Your a stand by your man - sorta guy Tank.

Hang in there Big guy. You are. . .'the Man'.

Harlan Huckleby
06-22-2006, 10:17 PM
tank, i was just yanking your chain, taking note of your history w/ Darrin Charles.

woodbuck27
06-22-2006, 11:03 PM

Darren Charles?! mmmm Doesn't he make his living as a singer HH?

Harlan Huckleby
06-23-2006, 01:14 AM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/16/164603.jpg http://www.sequelsolutions.biz/Rudy.jpg

Actually, Darrin Charles has movie star looks, maybe he is a singer too.

But his real claim to fame is that he kicked Tank's ass in highschool football when Tank was a cornerback with a peanut-shaped helmet. Darrin got a UW scholarship, Tank did not.

woodbuck27
06-23-2006, 07:41 AM
Here is a good Article on Don Hutson:

Hutson was first modern receiver
By David Whitley
Special to ESPN.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before there was Jerry Rice, before there was Steve Largent, before there were even pass patterns, there was Don Hutson.
He was a receiver ahead of his time by a half-century. That's how long it took for the National Football League to catch up with the "Alabama Antelope." Hutson didn't merely catch more passes and score more touchdowns than anybody imagined possible. He changed the way football was played.

Few teams threw the ball in 1935 unless they were desperate or wanted to surprise the opponent. Hutson was football's Copernicus, proving that the universe did not revolve around the run.

By the time he retired in 1945, passing was part of the game. As for the receiving part, nobody played the game like Hutson. Statistically, his only rivals weren't born when Hutson left the game.

He led the NFL in touchdowns eight times. More than 50 years later, nobody else has led the league more than three times.

He also led the league in catches a record eight times, including 1942, when he had a then-astonishing 74 receptions. His nearest rival caught 27 passes that season.

In nine seasons he was the top touchdown receiver in the league (Rice is second all-time with six). Amazingly, not only is Hutson listed first for most consecutive years (five) leading the NFL in touchdown catches, he also is second with four.

Hutson finished his career with 99 touchdown receptions, an astounding 62 TDs ahead of his closest competitor. Largent finally broke Hutson's record 44 years later. Largent, Rice and other modern-day receivers simply traced the footsteps that Hutson blazed.

He began setting records when the NFL had nine teams and little offensive imagination. It was single-platoon football, and Hutson had 23 interceptions in his final four seasons as a defensive back. He also scored 193 career points as a place-kicker.

Hutson retired with 488 receptions and 7,991 yards. The second-place receiver had 190 catches and 3,309 yards. Hutson played in an era of 10- to 12-game seasons, so his records might have stood forever if he had the 16-game opportunities enjoyed today. As it was, Hutson was still an obvious choice to be a charter member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1963.

"I love to see my records broken, I really do," he said in 1989. "You get a chance to relive a part of your life, the whole experience."

Hutson was born on Jan. 31, 1913, in Pine Bluff, Ark. As a Boy Scout he played with snakes. He said that's where he got his quickness and agility. While he didn't start for Pine Bluff's high school football team until his senior year, he was a star in baseball.

He came to the University of Alabama on a partial baseball scholarship and was an outstanding centerfielder. He also ran track. But it was on the gridiron that Hutson made his most lasting impression. A walk-on, he became an All-American end in 1934.

In the 1935 Rose Bowl, he caught six passes for 165 yards and two touchdowns in Alabama's 29-13 victory over Stanford.

"Don had the most fluid motion you had ever seen when he was running," said the other end on that Alabama team, some player named Bear Bryant. "It looked like he was going just as fast as possible when all of a sudden he would put on an extra burst of speed and be gone."

Hutson was 6-foot-1 and 185 pounds when he showed up in Green Bay in 1935, and people wondered if he could take the pounding of pro football. Defenders weren't limited to a five-yard zone in which they could legally hit a receiver back then. It turned out, the pounders were the ones in trouble.

The only reason he was in Green Bay was because most of the other coaches in the league thought he was too fragile. The Chicago Bears were the first team to change their mind, in the Packers' second game of 1935.

Before a crowd of 13,600 at City Stadium, on the first play from scrimmage, Green Bay quarterback Arnie Herber threw a pass deep downfield. Beattie Feathers, Chicago's defensive back, was sure it was out of everyone's reach. Then a rookie flew past him, caught the ball without breaking stride and scored the game's only touchdown in a 7-0 Packer win.

Defenses couldn't contain Hutson. He ran a 9.7 100-yard dash and could shift and shake. His precise routes were revolutionary. Defenses began double and triple-teaming him, concepts that were unheard of at the time.

"He would glide downfield," Packers coach Curly Lambeau said, "leaning forward as if to steady himself close to the ground. Then, as suddenly as you gulp or blink an eye, he would feint one way and go the other, reach up like a dancer, gracefully squeeze the ball and leave the scene of the accident -- the accident being the defensive backs who tangled their feet up and fell trying to cover him."

They kept falling over themselves for 11 seasons.

"Hutson Does It Again!"

"Don Paces Packers to World Title!"

"Amazing Hutson Can't Be Stopped!"

Those were the headlines Green Bay fans were treated to during the World War II era. Perhaps Hutson's greatest performance came on Oct. 7, 1945. He caught four touchdown passes and kicked five extra points -- in one quarter. The 29-point quarter is a record that may never be broken.

"He had all the moves," said teammate Tony Canadeo. "He invented the moves. And he had great hands and speed, deceptive speed. He could go get the long ones; run the hitch, the down-and-out. He'd go over the middle, too, and he was great at getting off the line because he always had people popping him."

In that era, sportswriters usually did not get comments from players. That was fine by Hutson, a humble man who liked to let his feats speak for themselves.

About his 29-point quarter, he later recalled, "Well, the wind was blowing hard and straight downfield, and you couldn't throw the ball 20 yards the other way. Those defenders just couldn't get that in their heads, that's all."

The weather always seemed to work in his favor. Like the afternoon he had 14 catches against the New York Giants, or 237 receiving yards against Brooklyn. Hutson caught passes in 50 straight games from 1941-45.

Twenty percent of all his receptions were touchdowns. He scored a total of 105 touchdowns in just 117 games. The Packers won three NFL championships (1936, `39 and '44). He retired with 19 NFL records, was named to the all-pro team in 8 of his 11 seasons and was NFL MVP in 1941 and '42.

Following his retirement as a player, Hutson was an assistant coach for the Packers under Lambeau for three seasons (1946-48). He served on the club's board of directors from1952-80, when he was elected a director emeritus.

When the Packers built their indoor practice facility in 1994, they needed a name. Despite the many great names that played for the storied franchise, there was never any doubt which athlete the place would honor.

It was christened the Don Hutson Center.

"I don't know if there is such a thing as royalty in professional football," said Packers general manager Ron Wolf as he stood next to Hutson at the dedication ceremony, "but this is the closest I've ever come to it."

The king of receivers died three years later, on June 26, 1997, at age 84. At the time, he still held 10 NFL records and 18 team marks.

"He most certainly was the greatest player in the history of this franchise," Wolf said. "In the era he played, he was the dominant player in the game."

woodbuck27
06-23-2006, 07:28 PM
NFL Records that Don Hutson still owns:

SCORING

Most Seasons Leading League (tied)

5 Don Hutson, Green Bay, 1940-44
Gino Cappelletti, Boston, 1961, 1963-66

Most Consecutive Seasons Leading League

Touchdowns

Most Seasons Leading League

8 Don Hutson, Green Bay, 1935-38, 1941-44
3 Jim Brown, Cleveland, 1958-59, 1963
Lance Alworth, San Diego, 1964-66
Emmitt Smith, Dallas, 1992, 1994-95

4 Don Hutson, Green Bay, 1935-38, 1941-44

PASS RECEIVING

8 Don Hutson, Green Bay, 1936-37, 1939, 1941-45

5 Don Hutson, Green Bay, 1941-45

YARDS GAINED

7 Don Hutson, Green Bay, 1936, 1938-39, 1941-44

4 Don Hutson, Green Bay, 1941-44

TOUCHDOWN

9 Don Hutson, Green Bay, 1935-38, 1940-44

6 Jerry Rice, San Francisco, 1986-87, 1989-1991, 1993

4 Don Hutson, Green Bay, 1935-38

That is 10 - Individual NFL records that Don Hutson still owns.

Records where he is still in the ballpark.

Most Games, 200 or More Yards Pass Receiving, Career

5 Lance Alworth, San Diego, 1962-1970; Dallas, 1971-72

4 Don Hutson, Green Bay, 1935-45
Charley Hennigan, Houston, 1960-66
Jerry Rice, San Francisco, 1985-2000; Oakland, 2001-04; Seattle, 2004

Most Games, 200 or More Yards Pass Receiving, Season

3 Charley Hennigan, Houston, 1961

2 Don Hutson, Green Bay, 1942
Gene Roberts, N.Y. Giants, 1949
Lance Alworth, San Diego, 1963
Don Maynard, N.Y. Jets, 1968

Most Touchdowns, Season

22 Jerry Rice, San Francisco, 1987

18 Mark Clayton, Miami, 1984
Sterling Sharpe, Green Bay, 1994

17 Don Hutson, Green Bay, 1942
Elroy (Crazylegs) Hirsch, Los Angeles, 1951
Bill Groman, Houston, 1961
Jerry Rice, San Francisco, 1989
Cris Carter, Minnesota, 1995
Carl Pickens, Cincinnati, 1995
Randy Moss, Minnesota, 1998
Randy Moss, Minnesota, 2003

KYPack
06-26-2006, 08:39 AM
There are a couple things I wanted to add to this thread. Any thread about Don Hutson is worth responding to. Most of the stories about Don have become lore to Packer fans. Here is a lesser known story about the great Don Hutson and his exploits for the Green Bay Packers.

Most Hutson bio’s tell of Don’s rookie year (1935) and his debut against the Bears. All the Packers (& Pro Football, for that matter) were awed by Don’s catch of an 83 yard bomb for his first Green Bay catch. However, many of the old Packers will tell you that Don’s SECOND Bear game in ’35 was even more amazing. The rest of the ’35 season, George Halas was complaining about Hutson and the Bear’s fluke (according to Halas) loss to GB in September. Halas felt Hutson was a gimmick player, a part timer that couldn’t stay on the field for 60 minutes. Halas also railed at the Bears that they had to beat the Packers in the ’35 rematch in Chicago. The other thing that Halas demanded was that the Bears stop Don Hutson.

Halas’s orders were followed to a “Tââ⠀šÂ¬Ã‚, for 57 & ½ minutes. The Bears mauled both the Pack and Hutson all game long. With 2 minutes and 30 seconds to go, the Bears were in control 14 -3. When Hutson went in for a final series, Halas and the Bears bench were screaming at the defense to stop Hutson and maim him if they could. Don was triple teamed and couldn’t even get off the line. Then, on third down, Herber brought Hutson from one side to the other and threw Don a quick strike in the flat. The whole Bear defense converged on Hutson. Don ducked, faked , made full pivots and eluded tackler after tackler. Don finally worked his way into the Bear secondary, faked to the middle, and cut to the sideline alone. There, he went into his sprinter gear, and out-ran the entire Bear team to make it 14 - 10. Accounts of the game stated that all 11 Bear defenders had shots at Hutson, but nobody could tackle the “Alabama Antelope”.

The Packers kicked to the Bears who proceeded to run out the clock. On the second plunge into the line, the Bears fumbled the ball. It was GB’s ball, deep in Bear territory, with only seconds to go. Wrigley field was now a madhouse as the fans and the Bear bench were screaming at their players to stop the Pack. Arnie Herber was at his finest as he had Hutson slant over the middle. As half the Bear D converged on Don, he swiftly pivoted and ran the equivalent of the “fadeÃ¢à ‚¬Â pattern to the back corner of the end zone. Observers estimated Herber had a window about a foot in which to put the ball. Arnie threw it in there and Don dove and made his usual "once in a lifetime" catch for the Packer victory. The Packer players would always talk about that victory & how great it was to run off the field to total silence!

That game raised Don’s status from a good rookie to a respected player, one you could count on in the clutch. All the veterans realized that they had to protect Don, because he could make them all a lot of money.

Bretsky
06-26-2006, 08:43 AM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/16/164603.jpg http://www.sequelsolutions.biz/Rudy.jpg

Actually, Darrin Charles has movie star looks, maybe he is a singer too.

But his real claim to fame is that he kicked Tank's ass in highschool football when Tank was a cornerback with a peanut-shaped helmet. Darrin got a UW scholarship, Tank did not.

Rumor has it Tank was so traumatized after getting his ass kicked rather than face what occured he turned to drugs and has never since recovered

Partial
06-26-2006, 08:54 AM
Rumor has it Tank was so traumatized after getting his ass kicked rather than face what occured he turned to drugs and has never since recovered

:lol:

KYPack
06-27-2006, 11:28 AM
In 1999 Paul Zimmerman picked the All Time NFL team. His wide receivers? Don Hutson, Lance Alworth, Raymond Berry, and Jerry Rice. In his comments about Don included this statement “ I'd never forgotten a story told to me by a Green Bay fan who swore he saw Hutson snatch a ball with one hand -- with the palm turned down.”

I know about that catch, the story of the catch and its legacy will be the last of my posts about Don. It tells what a great player Don was, but also what a great man he was.
Like Paul Zimmerman, I never saw Don play. But I, too, heard about that catch. This is the story as I heard it.

The Packers were losing to the Chicago Cardinals in the opening game of 1939. This was a game they had to win. A loss to the Cards would be a blot on their record that could knock the Pack out of the ’39 race. Not many teams would lose to the Cards that year (they’d only win one game) so a loss would be a huge negative.

The Pack finally got the ball in the last two minutes, down 10 -7. There was no time to run, and kicking a field goal was a pretty iffy proposition in 1939. The Packers needed to score on this possession. On third and long, Arnie Herber tried to get off a desperation pass to Hutson. The Cardinals had Don double covered on the sideline. Herber misfired on his pass as it was way ahead of both Hutson and the two defenders. But Hutson performed a miracle. He lunged out and picked the pass off. He moved so fast it was difficult to see the play, but all the fans along the sideline saw Hutson reach out and catch the pass. The ball was maybe a foot or two off the turf, but Hutson was able to catch the back of the ball at ankle height with his palm down, a foot or so from the sideline! He then sprinted down near the Chicago goal. The Packers soon scored to turn the near upset loss into a win, 14 – 10.

When I was a kid, I would hear the tale of Hutson’s miracle catch from several people, my dad, old time Packer fans, Champ Seibold, and the odd broadcaster. The catch fell into the area of Packer lore. There were no written accounts of Don’s catch, it became an anecdotal legend.

Then, in 1994, GM Ron Wolf and Mike Holmgren dedicated the new Don Hutson indoor practice facility. They invited Don to the dedication and made a presentation to Don in front of the invitees and the media. Ron Wolf was perfect as he stated he felt he “was in the presence of Pro Football Royalty” by being up there with Don. At the mention of being royalty, Don blushed with embarrassment and dropped his head. After all these years, he was still the shy country kid from Arkansas!

Other light remarks were made to relax Don, then Wolf spoke once more.

“Don, I’ve always heard people tell about that ankle high, miracle catch against the Cards, could you tell me a little bit about that”?

(I was always a Ron Wolf man, but I’m a Wolf fanatic now. That was the perfect question. After years of hearing about the catch, now I’d hear about it from the man himself.)

But, it wasn’t to be. Don just hemmed and hawed and made a statement that “people get to telling stories over the years”. The shy guy from the U of Alabama was no braggart and wasn’t about to start now. A world class athlete, a HOF football player, but an even better human being, that was Don’s legacy, and it a great one. A legacy for all time.

woodbuck27
06-29-2006, 09:24 AM
KYPack .Those last two stories about the Legendary Don Hutson are just excellent.

You would have made an excellent Scout Leader and I certainly feel that your Grand Children will benefit from that talent you have to relate a good story. I certainly appreciated that ability from Mr. Eldon Bell my Maternal Grandfather. Many a time I would sit on the woodbox and take in his stories of his hunting and fishing exploits and years spent logging.

He was truly a fine gentleman and an excellent story teller as well as my Father was. The absolute two greatest men and best influences on my LIFE.

the_idle_threat
06-29-2006, 04:19 PM
I dunno ... I vote for T.J. Rubley.

woodbuck27
06-29-2006, 04:46 PM
I dunno ... I vote for T.J. Rubley.

Ahhhh. . . . Ole T.J.

the_idle_threat
06-29-2006, 07:38 PM
:mrgreen:

Yeah, I almost feel sorry for the guy. He gets only a few minutes of playing time in his career, makes a boneheaded mistake, and now his name is a punchline in Packer lore.

That being said, I don't feel TOO sorry. :lol:

woodbuck27
06-30-2006, 11:42 AM
:mrgreen:

Yeah, I almost feel sorry for the guy. He gets only a few minutes of playing time in his career, makes a boneheaded mistake, and now his name is a punchline in Packer lore.

That being said, I don't feel TOO sorry. :lol:

Here is a little bit of what happened to T.J. after he was with us. He's mentioned in this story below as the back-up QB with the Winnepeg Blue Bombers in 1998.

It's a decent story on what can happen to an Organization if you import the wrong man in charge of spending or not.

Septermer 30, 1998

"The only thing more pathetic then the 1998 Winnipeg Blue Bombers, is the
man behind them"

By Shashi Ramu, Guest Benchwarmer

In a season of ups and downs (well, mostly downs) and having witnessed some on-field miracles (well, two to be exact), the 1998 version of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers is a pathetic joke. No, wait a minute - there's one thing that is more of a joke than the teams 2-11 record - it's the fact that the man behind it all is still employed.

The media, the fans, the other coaches - heck, even some of the
players - expected 'Coach Jeff' to be long gone after the possibility of
"playing .500" was flushed down the toilet. But the question which no one
has conclusively answered yet is, "Whose fault is it?" Well folks, here's
your answer.

Having been involved with the league and its teams over the years,
I am exposed to some, shall we say, "real" opinions and beliefs about what
on earth has gone wrong here in the "Peg" this year.

Commissioner John Tory and Chief Operating Officer Jeff Giles say
that they are letting Winnipeg finish the season without any interference,
no matter how brutal it becomes, because of the revenue that the Grey Cup
is going to bring in. But what's the use of all this extra money if there's
only 10 season ticket holders for the Blue and Gold next year? People are
not interested in watching a losing team. Look at Hamilton - they have the
best team in the whole league, but because of their awful performance on
the football field over the 1996 and 1997 seasons, they are still averaging
18,000 people per game.

Now, as a University of Manitoba graduate who was born and raised
literally worshipping the ground that the Blue Bombers walked on, I'm mad.
No, check that. I'm irate.

Coach Reinebold rode in on his Harley with his earrings, is very
loud voice (it's not so loud lately, is it?), press conference after press
conference, key slogans like "We're gonna be a hard-ass football team!" and best of all, those oh-so-attractive circles under his eyes - the guy either
never sleeps or he has a whole other career on the side that we don't even
know about.

What did he do over the past two years? He took out his pen and
clipboard and started firing people - some of the best football players
that have ever come through this town. Last spring he fired the team's
captain - who almost immediately signed with Saskatchewan. By the way, they made it to the Grey Cup.

Reinebold has gone through more quarterbacks than I can count on
two hands (all of which have been feeble on even their best outing). And
best of all he's allowed his lack of discipline and a failure to resolve
his conflicts with people affect his judgment.

Remember Gerald Wilcox? He was one of the best football players, not only for the team but for the city. More recently, remember Chris Armstrong? He went back to Montreal and, incidentally, has been one of the Alouettes' most productive players on offense, especially against the Blue Bombers. Last year, Kevin McDougall's "Don't give up on me, coach" cost the city close to $80,000.

This year, whether we like it or not, Reinebold has already paid in full
$150,000 for a guy (T.J. Rubley) who had never played a down of Canadian
Football before July (this QB now makes his home on the sidelines - he
sports the headset and clipboard quite well, I might add.)

A reliable source within the front office has been quoted as saying,

"It's gonna be a public relations nightmare to clean up everything
that he's done here." Another reliable player source has said, "I'm afraid
that every day when I walk in there, I'm gonna lose my job."

Here's the solution, Winnipeg. Just end it! Just cut your losses -
you won't have egg on your face, the CFL will probably throw a
wine-and-cheese banquet at Skydome to celebrate, and best of all, our
fake-and-baked insomnia-ridden wanna-be savior will climb his sorry ass
onto that Harley and drive back to the land of make believe. Or better yet
maybe he'll join Homer Simpson in his daydreams under the sea. Who knows?

Save this city the embarrassment of having to rush the field after every
(flukish) win. (Remember when we only used to do that after they won
play-off games?) Now the words "Bomber" and "play-offs" are the biggest
oxymoron anybody around here has ever heard.

And to close - a message to the lion tamer himself. Do us all a
favour and just accept your share of the responsibility. And at the same
time, look at this as an experience. Hopefully, somewhere in that brain you
realize that firing players, making empty promises, and being totally
self-absorbed for two years was not the right way to run a major
professional athletic organization. Take the lead from such noble men as
Joe Paopao and Adam Rita, and maybe (or maybe not) we'll meet again some day.

KYPack
07-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Woodbuck, thanks once again for starting this thread. Any time I can see a thread about Don Hutson, it’s great. In an earlier post, you mentioned me sitting around a campfire with some boy scouts relating these tales of Don. That comment really knocked me out because that was how I heard about Don and his exploits. When I was in the boy scouts, our summer camp was at Twin Lakes in central WI. Every summer we would camp there. One of the Scout troops had a man named Champ Seibold as their scoutmaster. Champ played for the Packers and was teammate of Don’s for four seasons. Each summer there would be a big group campfire. Champ would be there and the scouts & soutmasters would prod him to tell us stories of Lambeau’s Packer and Don Hutson .
You’d have to poke him to talk about it, but eventually Champ would talk of the Pack and Don. Champ would impress us of two things:
1 What a great person Don was, Hutson was a genuinely nice person, shy, quiet, and a great friend.
2. Hutson was not just a great player, Don was a transcendent player. The game was much different after Don left it.
In that era, sportswriters usually did not get comments from players. That was fine by Hutson, a humble man who liked to let his feats speak for themselves.
Don also helped hold the team together. Players who were reluctant to approach the volatile Lambeau would go to Don when they had issues. After Don retired, an old Packer down on his luck knew he could get help from Hutson. A few of ‘em made a pilgrimage to Don’s Cadillac dealership in Racine for a little help. Don would be only too glad to help an old pal.
Few teams threw the ball in 1935 unless they were desperate or wanted to surprise the opponent. By the time he retired in 1945, passing was part of the game. He was a receiver ahead of his time by a half-century. That's how long it took for the National Football League to catch up with the "Alabama Antelope." Hutson didn't merely catch more passes and score more touchdowns than anybody imagined possible. He changed the way football was played. As for the receiving part, nobody played the game like Hutson. Statistically, his only rivals weren't born when Hutson left the game.
Champ told us a lot about Don as a person and a player. I wish I would’ve taken notes, I’m sure I’ve forgotten some gems, but I remember much of what was said.

This thread can use one bump. We’ll be pretty near camp before it falls off. If one person learns about Don Hutson and what an impact he had on the Pack & Pro Football, I’m happy.

woodbuck27
07-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Yes KYPack. We must never forget, the really GREAT Packers, and in my humble mind, this man was the GREATEST PACKER of them all.

The stories in this thread and all other accounts of Don Hudson puts that fact, I feel, in full perspective. How much better can we keep some semblance of his reality alive in us Packer fans?

Don Hutson - ALL TIME GREATEST - GREEN BAY PACKER.

To all members.This thread is merely 'a testament' to support that 'as a fact'.

He gets my vote in that category.

Harlan Huckleby
07-03-2006, 11:45 AM
DonHutson was one of my favorite posters at JSO, but he, uhhh, didn't make it here. I guess it is like European immigrants coming to America, a few of them died at sea before reaching Ellis Island.

KYPack
07-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Bimp

(As inspector Clouseau would say)

woodbuck27
07-08-2006, 05:28 PM
No one can say we don't keep it up KY.