PDA

View Full Version : 49'ers QB Alex Smith on IR again

oregonpackfan
09-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Niners QB Smith on injured reserve again
2 hours ago
Loading... Must Read?Thank YouYes 4

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) — Alex Smith's season is over with another shoulder injury. The high-priced quarterback's short career with the San Francisco 49ers is probably finished as well.

The 49ers put Smith on injured reserve Wednesday with a broken bone in his right shoulder. The top pick in the 2005 draft probably will require more surgery on the joint that limited him to seven games last season.

Coach Mike Nolan improbably claimed to know little about the injury that ended his former franchise quarterback's fourth NFL campaign before Smith even played in a regular-season game this fall. Smith's teammates expressed more concern than their gruff coach over his latest injury, which popped up during the club's final practice before last week's season opener.

``I feel sorry for him,'' said running back Frank Gore, the Niners' third-round pick in Smith's draft. ``He was a great teammate and worked hard. I just hope the best for him, and hope he gets well.''

After paying Smith more than $31 million during his four years with the 49ers, the bleak realities of NFL salary cap life mean the club is likely to release him before next season. General manager Scot McCloughan said last week that San Francisco can't risk paying $9 million in base salary to a backup quarterback in 2009.

Smith lost his starting job to journeyman J.T. O'Sullivan in training camp.

``I'm not going to answer any hypothetical questions about the future,'' said Nolan, who had an embarrassing public spat with Smith last year over the severity of the quarterback's shoulder injury. ``We'll cross that bridge when we get there. My focus right now is on (Sunday's game against) Seattle.''

Smith refused to comment after practice, and didn't respond to an additional request for comment Wednesday afternoon.

Smith had surgery on his shoulder in December to repair three torn ligaments, the product of a separated shoulder from a game in late September 2007. He attempted to play through pain after the injury, but obviously struggled in all three games, culminating in an awful effort in a 24-0 loss at Seattle.

``I thought he wasn't ready to go,'' said Seahawks linebacker Julian Peterson, Smith's former teammate in San Francisco. ``I thought he just tried to tough it out for the team, and it really wasn't a smart move for the team and for himself. He tried to do it for the team, and wasn't really ready.''

After several months of rehabilitation, Smith appeared to be at full strength in training camp despite losing his job to O'Sullivan, who was quicker to pick up new offensive coordinator Mike Martz's system. But Smith experienced severe pain in his shoulder last Friday while making a long throw during practice, and subsequent tests found a significant problem.

Dr. James Andrews, who performed Smith's last surgery, apparently confirmed the team's diagnosis of a broken bone in Smith's shoulder, though the quarterback and the team still don't know how it happened.

The 49ers signed 38-year-old Jamie Martin, a veteran of Martz's system who was out of football, to back up O'Sullivan and Shaun Hill.

``He worked so hard to get back, and then to have this happen to him now is so unfortunate,'' said Hill, who backed up Smith along with Trent Dilfer for the past two seasons. ``Obviously, it's not an easy thing for him. Even last year, Trent and I were excited for what he was going to do. ... I don't think he's a bust at all. Injuries hampered him.''

Smith passed for 4,679 yards with 31 interceptions and 19 touchdowns in his first three seasons with the 49ers, who selected the former Utah star with the first draft pick of Nolan's regime. He left the Utes one year early to capitalize on the excitement of their undefeated season under coach Urban Meyer, and he was rewarded with $24 million in guaranteed money as the No. 1 pick in a notoriously weak draft with no clear-cut top selections.

Smith went 11-19 as a starter, never finding a consistent NFL groove while playing for four offensive coordinators in four seasons and throwing to one of the league's worst collections of receivers. San Francisco's offense finished last in the NFL in 2005 and 2007, with Smith receiving a share of the blame even though he played only part of his rookie season and missed most of 10 games last year.

In 2006, his only full season as a starter, Smith took every snap and posted respectable numbers for offensive coordinator Norv Turner while the 49ers went 7-9. Turner then left to become San Diego's head coach.

The Associated Press

Joemailman
09-10-2008, 08:11 PM
In my opinion, another 1st round pick QB who was thrown in there too early in his career, and lost his confidence. If Arod continues to do well, I wonder if teams may change their approach. Probably not though, because of the money a high draft pick makes.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-10-2008, 08:14 PM
4 OF coordinators in 4 years.

Recipe for disaster.

Joemailman
09-10-2008, 08:18 PM
The same can probably be said of J.T. O'Sullivan.

mmmdk
09-10-2008, 08:26 PM
4 OF coordinators in 4 years.

Recipe for disaster.

Won't someone please ask McCarthy to compare Rodgers to Alex again?

Cheesehead Craig
09-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Nyah Nyah! We got the better QB!! :taunt:

ahaha
09-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Why is it, that every time a top pick QB, who plays early in his career and ends up flopping, always gets the "confidence" explanation for his suckiness. "They rushed him in there and it ruined his confidence, that's why he never developed over the years." Why not tell it like it is? Maybe this guy wasn't as good as we thought. Maybe he just sucks.

Lurker64
09-10-2008, 09:07 PM
So here's a question. Supposing the 49ers chose differently, and took Aaron Rodgers:

1) Does Alex Smith fall all the way to 24?
2) If Alex Smith is available at 24, would Thompson take him?
3) Would being thrust into the starting lineup immediately have ruined Rodgers?
4) Would Smith be able to be a competent NFL QB with a few years on the bench?

Zool
09-10-2008, 09:19 PM
If the Packers hadnt drafted Tony Mandarich, would they have selected

Barry Sanders
Deon Sanders
Derrick Thomas
Other

Chevelle2
09-10-2008, 09:27 PM
So here's a question. Supposing the 49ers chose differently, and took Aaron Rodgers:

My thoughts

1) No. I heard MIA's big board was Smith, Brown, Rodgers. I believe they would have taken him IMO

2) Yes. BPA, although I obviously don't know how they graded him. Maybe they hated him.

3) Im not sure if it would have ruined him, but he would have looked like trash.

4) Cant be worse than the mess the poor guy is in now.

hoosier
09-11-2008, 07:55 AM

1) Does Alex Smith fall all the way to 24? No idea. Chevelle's word that Mia would have picked him seems as good a speculation as any.

2) If Alex Smith is available at 24, would Thompson take him? No idea, but if TT had him ranked best available then yes, in a heartbeat.

3) Would being thrust into the starting lineup immediately have ruined Rodgers? My guess is that his development would have looked a lot like Smith's. By all reports Rodgers was somewhat immature coming out of college (had a chip on his shoulder after falling to #24, showed too much negative emotion when teammates screwed up, etc.), and given the total lack of continuity in SF, it's hard to imagine him having a successful early career. I think the Smith/Rodgers career contrast speaks volumes for what program continuity can do for a young player's development, and also speaks very highly of the job done by MM, Philbin and Clements.

4) Would Smith be able to be a competent NFL QB with a few years on the bench? My best guess is that most young QBs would fail to thrive in a situation like SF's, so Smith's failure is not a reflection of his potential. [/b]

Scott Campbell
09-11-2008, 08:23 AM
The 49ers signed 38-year-old Jamie Martin, a veteran of Martz's system who was out of football, to back up O'Sullivan and Shaun Hill.

A little irony. Martin played at Weber State - 30 minutes from the University of Utah.

run pMc
09-11-2008, 09:14 AM
> I want to say that it's doubtful, but nobody expected Rodgers to fall to #24. For the sake of discussion I'll say yes.

> Yes, I think so. .

>Yes. Rodgers didn't exactly impress in preseason his rookie year. With SF's supporting cast and where his skills & demeanor were at the time I think he would be in the same situation.

> Yes, at least right out of college. Now -- with 4 different playbooks in his head and a bad shoulder -- I'm not so sure. He might end up being a cross between Ryan Leaf and Chad Pennington.

I recall reading an article (sorry, can't find URL) where he was described as an extremely bright guy, but also the sort that had to fully absorb and understand the playbook to function in the system. With all the wrinkles in a pro offense playbook, combined with the looks a defense can give a QB, it's no surprise he struggled. I'm thinking he needed to sit for at least a year (maybe two) but with ~$24M guaranteed you can't do that. Consider how people are all over Harrell and his entire contract isn't even worth $24M.

If he sat behind Favre for 3 years and got coached up by Clements and M3, I think he would have had plenty of time to absorb the WCO and run it effectively. Plus, he'd have a competent receiver corps to throw to.

Coming out of college most people (including me) would have argued that Smith was a more capable QB than, say, Ingle Martin.

However, given his injuries and flameout in SF, (if I were the GM) I wouldn't touch him now except for maybe as a camp tryout like GB did with Tim Couch a few years back. It will be interesting to see (given that M3 coached him one year) if GB looks into signing him after he's released.

As for the confidence remark, I think it can be overblown, but there is something to it. Look at guys like David Carr and (more recently) Vince Young. Good coaching that is consistent from year to year combined with a capable supporting cast makes a big difference in a QB's development.

Guiness
09-11-2008, 10:25 AM
IMO stick a fork in him, he's done. We've got Tim Couch Jr here.

For the record, I think it was putting him on the field too soon, on a horrible team, that ruined him. Coaching might be better here, but I think that the coaches had the opportunity to work with him while he wasn't getting the tar taken out of him on a weekly basis is more important.

edit: just read run Pmc's comments, and he mentions Couch as well. I think the comparison is apt.

LL2
09-11-2008, 11:07 AM
With $31 Mil in his pocket Smith should be able to retire nicely for the rest of his life.

With all the guaranteed money thrown at high 1st rd picks they are expected to play and produce right away. Very few QB's start right away and become very productive like the Manning brothers. Flacco and Ryan seemed to do well in their first starts, but that doesn't make a career.

I like TT's aproach of stocking players with a lot of picks and letting them develop. He kind of has his own farm system going, and it saves the team a lot of money.

Scott Campbell
09-11-2008, 11:28 PM
He's 24, with a bunch of NFL starts. He's no longer going to command the big money, which played a huge role in his release. That makes him much more attractive than all the Daunte Cullpepper's and Jeff Garcia's out there, as he has upside and a reasonable shelf life left in him. The situation in SF was terrible, though his play didn't help his cause any. I'd like to see him get a shot somewhere else.

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2008, 11:30 PM
in the preseason game with the packers, it was clear the guy has a good arm. plenty of time for him to have a good NFL career.

Partial
09-11-2008, 11:34 PM
He's 24, with a bunch of NFL starts. He's no longer going to command the big money, which played a huge role in his release. That makes him much more attractive than all the Daunte Cullpepper's and Jeff Garcia's out there, as he has upside and a reasonable shelf life left in him. The situation in SF was terrible, though his play didn't help his cause any. I'd like to see him get a shot somewhere else.

homer.

Scott Campbell
09-11-2008, 11:35 PM

homer.

Yep. He's a great kid.

SnakeLH2006
09-12-2008, 01:24 AM
There's already a precedent for Alex Smith...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMe0Rz1frdE

Tarlam!
09-12-2008, 06:41 AM

I think comparing Leaf to Smith is just ridiculous. Leaf failed because he was a big headed dick. Smith hasn't failed yet. And he's better than Couch, IMHO.

It seems to me, Lane Kiffin is an issue.

KYPack
09-12-2008, 07:19 AM
From the "who gives a shit dept."

Tim Couch was not a bust. He just didn't have a very successful NFL career. He got a career ending shoulder injury in his fifth season and that was it.

He was a high #1 pick and got the cowboy shit knocked out of him by playing in front of a poor line. Tim was sacked 56 times his rookie year. By his 3rd and fourth season, he came on to be a solid NFL QB.

His 4th year, he lead the Browns to an 10-6 record and the play-offs. He threw for 2800 yards and 18 TD's and got his sacks down to 30. He had a long and accurate arm with 64 TD's in his career. He had a completion of over 70 yards for a TD in each of his 4 seasons. The guy could sling it.

The next season, his shoulder got tore up and that was it. After the shoulder, he worked hard to come back, but it was no go. His last comeback was with the Packers in Pre-season. Tim couldn't throw the ball 5 yards and the Pack let him go.

MadScientist
09-12-2008, 01:15 PM
The next season, his shoulder got tore up and that was it. After the shoulder, he worked hard to come back, but it was no go. His last comeback was with the Packers in Pre-season. Tim couldn't throw the ball 5 yards and the Pack let him go.

Which bodes ill for Smith's career. Shoulder injuries are killer for throwers (QB's, pitchers). I expect that he will make a good attempt to come back next year, but his chances for success are not promising.

At least he's rich enough to spend the rest of his life doing something he enjoys.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-12-2008, 07:29 PM

I think comparing Leaf to Smith is just ridiculous. Leaf failed because he was a big headed dick. Smith hasn't failed yet. And he's better than Couch, IMHO.

It seems to me, Lane Kiffin is an issue.

How does the coach of the Raiders affect Smith?

Tarlam!
09-12-2008, 11:03 PM
How does the coach of the Raiders affect Smith?

Indeed, I should have said Nolan. My mistake.

vince
09-13-2008, 09:54 AM
A decent read...

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2008/09/aaron-and-alex-a-long-way-from-2005/
Aaron and Alex: Three Years Later
By Andrew Brandt

At the risk of overkill on the impressive debut of Aaron Rodgers, the timing of such performance in light of Alex Smith being placed on IR yesterday is striking. Again, when it comes to Aaron, I admit that I am a close friend, a fan, and a biased commentator. I do not know, nor have I ever met, Alex Smith and I genuinely feel bad for his injury. However, the fortunes of two franchises hang in the balance due to the selection of these two players over three years ago.

After what appeared to be significant due diligence on every angle of both players, the 49ers opted for Smith over Rodgers with the first pick in the 2005 NFL Draft. As discussed in this space before, the economics of that selection have become hugely disproportionate to the price of picks not far below that slot. For the right to have the top draft pick and select the highest premium position with that pick – a quarterback – San Francisco was left with the following contractual obligation:

Six years, 49.5M with almost half of that amount, 24M, guaranteed. Smith received a staggering 20% growth rate in guaranteed money from the Eli Manning deal (20M) the prior year!

Following the selection of Smith at the top, we all now know what happened to Aaron. Stuck in the green room with agent Mike Sullivan at his side, he sat and waited. And waited. And waited. (This difficult scenario of a player alone in the green room was avoided the next year as Brady Quinn was ushered into a separate area away from the cameras by Commissioner Goodell.) As the staff was cleaning up the room and folding the chairs after all the other invited players and their entourages had left, Aaron sat and waited for the call that finally came from my cell phone.

No other team truly needed a quarterback. Tampa was there with the fifth pick. Jon Gruden had promised Aaron that if he were there, he would be a Buc (Gruden apparently told the same to USC wide receiver Mike Williams). Neither one would be.

Maybe the Titans at #6? No, Pacman. The Chiefs at #15? No, Derrick Johnson. And on it went. Finally, with our pick at #24 and some of our defensive end favorites already selected – Marcus Spears and DeMarcus Ware of the Cowboys among them – we were going to opt for Aaron. I called Sullivan’s phone. Aaron answered, obviously excited by the Green Bay area code. I could not tell Aaron the news yet, but merely asked to speak with Mike. I had to tell Mike to wait because the phone could have rung with an offer we might not have been able to refuse. Now Aaron had to sit another agonizing 10 minutes after waiting 5 hours in an empty green room with the cameras recording every moment. Mercifully, we finally picked him, got him out of that green room, and allowed its cleaning staff to finish their work.

The deal I did for Aaron slotted in at #24 – 5 years, 7.7M with 4.13M guaranteed. That part took 10 minutes to negotiate; the rest of the weeks-long negotiation was about the escalators, and excruciating process of trying to determine when and if he would have a chance to earn the extra money faced with the unanswerable question as to Brett Favre’s retirement. Now, of course, Aaron has only this year to earn an escalator, the last of four that had that potential.

Thus, in the past few days, the first quarterback picked in the 2005 NFL Draft, the one with 24M guaranteed has been placed on season-ending injured reserve. The second quarterback picked in the 2005 NFL Draft, the one with almost 20M less guaranteed, started his first game and looked better than Smith has looked in his career.

At this time next year, there may be dramatic shifts on the financial side for these two players whose careers seem inextricably linked. With the 49ers having exercised the buyback in Smith’s contract, his 2009 salary is scheduled to be 9.625M! That number is now entirely irrelevant; there is no chance of Smith receiving that money.

As to Rodgers, he will be in the last year of that deal we signed in 2005 and, for different reasons than Smith, I doubt Aaron will ever see that salary. Assuming he stays healthy and continues to play even close to the way he did Monday, the Packers will go to him long before this time next season to lock him up with a market deal that may exceed the 18M guaranteed that Jaguars quarterback David Garrard received this spring. That money, combined with the guaranteed money in his present contract, will get him close to the level that Alex Smith received based on that fateful draft day in 2005.

Guiness
09-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Great article by Brandt. I'm really starting to like him as a writer.

Smith got 20% more than Eli? Why, oh why. Eli was even a QB as well, and had someone trade up to get him. I know they're slotted, and go up every year, but sometimes it seems like the teams just decide to throw a bit of money to make a splash?

Scott Campbell
09-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Great article by Brandt. I'm really starting to like him as a writer.

I particularly like the perspective he writes from. It's unique.