PDA

View Full Version : OTA report from Journal-Sentinel

K-town
06-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Favre finished at OTAs
Green Bay -- Quarterback Brett Favre took part in his final workout Tuesday as the Green Bay Packers near the end of a voluntary four-week, 14-practice schedule.

Favre is expected to leave town later today. Backup Aaron Rodgers will take the reins with the No. 1 offense Wednesday on Clarke Hinkle Field in the Packers' final off-season practice.

"I thought he had three throws there in a row (in 7-on-7 drills) where the ball was really starting to spit off his fingers. That's about right," coach Mike McCarthy said. "We did a pitch count on him the whole time he was here, we kept him under 100 throws a week and feel really good about the amount of work he got done this past month."

Meanwhile, rookie third-rounder Jason Spitz ran with the No. 1 offense at center. He replaced starter Scott Wells, who was missing for personal reasons, and second-stringer Chris White, who remains out with a shoulder injury.

Also, barring an unexpected turn of events, cornerback Charles Woodson won't be in attendance on Wednesday. McCarthy had indicated last week there was a possibility he might show up but so far there's been no sign of him in Green Bay.

Disgruntled cornerback Al Harris is the only other player who didn't take part in any of the Packers' latest round of voluntary workouts.

Polaris
06-20-2006, 05:09 PM
I just finished reading Christl's account of today's practice, where he essentially states that throughout the OTAs the offense has repeatedly dissolved into a morass of errors on all parts.

Well coached teams do not beat themselves with mistakes and penalties, but after two minicamps and 13 OTAs that's exactly where we're at right now, and I think it's safe to say we aren't going to improve a lot between now and training camp.

I know that many people were under the impression that McCarthy would be a tough disciplinarian who would instill some discipline and clean up this error-riddled mess but it doesn't appear as though he's running his ship any more tightly than Coach Sherman did. More players missed more time at OTAs than they did under Sherman and the repeated errors and dropped passes at this point strongly indicate to me that there isn't enough focus on not making mistakes and IMO that falls squarely on the HC.

I understand this is just OTAs. I understand we've got a lot of rookies. But this is when McCarthy should be laying the foundation for the type of team he wants on the field.

I'll reserve judgement until I see them play, but I have to tell you, I'm expecting to see a very error-prone team on the field this year.......and I simply do not believe we have the talent to win unless we play with a minimum of mistakes.

woodbuck27
06-20-2006, 06:12 PM
"I understand this is just OTAs. I understand we've got a lot of rookies. But this is when McCarthy should be laying the foundation for the type of team he wants on the field.

I'll reserve judgement until I see them play, but I have to tell you, I'm expecting to see a very error-prone team on the field this year.......and I simply do not believe we have the talent to win unless we play with a minimum of mistakes." Polaris

This late into the OTA's and we are getting such damning reports of continued bad attendance and,procedural errors on the OL, and dropped after dropped after dropped pass, and Gado not doing much to the point that it looks now , like Noah Herron may have overtaken him . . . .and Al Harris and Charles Woodson (players we count on, not giving a rat's ass).

GG HELP US !!!!!

I can't wait to read all the PR hype from M3 and TT. No TT won't be seen out of the office from now till TC, if it's as it was last off season.

The Green Bay Packers are not looking REAL good.

packer4life
06-21-2006, 07:16 AM
i pray mccarthy isn't akin to a one-and-done ray rhodes...

MJZiggy
06-21-2006, 07:32 AM
"I understand this is just OTAs. I understand we've got a lot of rookies. But this is when McCarthy should be laying the foundation for the type of team he wants on the field.

I'll reserve judgement until I see them play, but I have to tell you, I'm expecting to see a very error-prone team on the field this year.......and I simply do not believe we have the talent to win unless we play with a minimum of mistakes." Polaris

This late into the OTA's and we are getting such damning reports of continued bad attendance and,procedural errors on the OL, and dropped after dropped after dropped pass, and Gado not doing much to the point that it looks now , like Noah Herron may have overtaken him . . . .and Al Harris and Charles Woodson (players we count on, not giving a rat's ass).

GG HELP US !!!!!

I can't wait to read all the PR hype from M3 and TT. No TT won't be seen out of the office from now till TC, if it's as it was last off season.

Settle down, Buck. We're just getting way more information on OTAs this year than we have in previous seasons. They're not supposed to be perfect in everything they do right now. If they're gonna make mistakes I want them to happen in June. Let 'em get the bugs worked out now and we can all reserve judgment until training camp when they said they'd be putting all of these installations together and can at least do some hitting. Then we'll see if they can get their consistency down. NOthing to panic about yet.

jack's smirking revenge
06-21-2006, 09:12 AM

GG HELP US !!!!!

Settle down, Buck. We're just getting way more information on OTAs this year than we have in previous seasons. They're not supposed to be perfect in everything they do right now. If they're gonna make mistakes I want them to happen in June. Let 'em get the bugs worked out now and we can all reserve judgment until training camp when they said they'd be putting all of these installations together and can at least do some hitting. Then we'll see if they can get their consistency down. NOthing to panic about yet.

Thank you for your voice of reason Zig. We're not even in real preseason yet. This is like pre-practice practice. If the errors still exist once we get into preseason games, then I'll pull out my best Chicken Little. But, right now, there's nothing to be truly concerned about. Mistakes and errors will happen and a whole new team chemistry and offensive blocking scheme are being developed and implemented. At least the problems are showing now, rather than September 1.

There is much time to fix what appears to be broken.

tyler

Spaulding
06-21-2006, 09:35 AM
I agree not all has been encouraging but a better measure would be to compare with objective reporting for some of the other team OTA's if that exists and they have wonderful fans and websites like Packerrats - had to get props in :) My guess is they are dealing with the same fundamental mistakes (especially if given new schemes for offense where prior Sherman rarely spun much in differences from Holmgren's original philosophy) and will just take time.

Jack's point is dead on that should we see these same lack of execution come even the 2nd or 3rd week of the pre-season that then it should be cause for worry.

Until then I'm ever the optimist and am thinking that if we were 4-12 last year and in pretty much every game (except for the Raven debacle) and had such a horrendous turnover ratio, 5th string running back, depleted receiving corp, tougher schedule, and a much less talented defensive unit that we're bound for better things this year. Be it the mediocrity of the wonderful 8-8's of the 80's or even possibly a wildcard, I'm chomping at the bit and ready for it.

Bring it on already - screw the NHL and NBA. Thankfully their ships have sailed this year.