PDA

View Full Version : Edit: Bretsky your OTHER dream as arrived

Zool
09-10-2008, 09:57 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3579404

Saints' Colston has thumb surgery, out 4 to 6 weeks

NEW ORLEANS -- Marques Colston, the New Orleans Saints' top receiver during the past two seasons, had surgery on his left thumb and will miss four to six weeks.

Colston said he had a torn ligament resulting from a play Sunday when he reached forward to make a catch while taking a helmet-first hit to his hands from Ronde Barber.

"I don't know if my thumb just got caught in an awkward position. It just bent all the way backward," said Colston, who was wearing a cast over his left hand. "I guess the only silver lining is that I'm going to have a chance to come back and play a good portion of the season and hopefully be back in time for that playoff push."

Colston tried to continue playing with the injury during the Saints' 24-20 victory over Tampa Bay but finished with only three catches for 26 yards. He made one catch after the injury.

Colston was a seventh-round draft choice out of Hofstra in 2006. At 6-foot-5, 225 pounds, he provides quarterback Drew Brees a big target and emerged as one of Brees' favorite receivers during his rookie year. Colston went on to compile 2,241 yards receiving for 19 touchdowns in his first two seasons.

His 168 catches are more than any NFL receiver has had through only two seasons. During the summer, Colston agreed to a three-year contract extension that could keep him in New Orleans through the 2011 season.

"It's tough, especially when you lose a guy as productive as him," Brees said after Wednesday's practice. "But there's always an opportunity for a younger guy to step up or guys that might not get as much playing time ordinarily to step up and contribute even more.

"I'm confident with all our guys. However we piece it together, whoever is on the field knows what to do and they know they'll get their opportunities," he said.

Most of Brees' 343 yards and all three of his touchdown passes in the victory over Tampa Bay involved receivers other than Colston.

How much tougher it is for other receivers to get open without Colston drawing double coverage remains to be seen. But the Saints also have a new receiving threat in tight end Jeremy Shockey, who made his debut last Sunday with six catches for 54 yards, including a drive-extending 10-yard catch on third down that set up a field goal.

"It was good for him to come out and play as many snaps as he did and make six catches, some of them very big, and third-down conversions," Brees said. "Certainly, he's a guy I'm not going to shy away from for any reason even if we haven't gotten as much time together as we hoped we would have through training camp, the preseason and such."

Colston's absence is expected to open the way for Robert Meachem to dress for a regular-season game for the first time since being drafted in the first round a year ago. New Orleans visits Washington on Sunday.

"You see the smile on my face? It's a dream come true," Meachem said. "I'll do whatever it takes to make my teammates and coaches proud and so my family back home can hold their heads high."

Meachem, who had a solid preseason that included a 60-yard touchdown and a 49-yard catch, was not sure why he was left off the active roster in the opener. The active receivers in the game were Colston, David Patten, Lance Moore, Devery Henderson and Terrance Copper. Copper and Moore both also play on special teams.

"Coach, he felt comfortable with the five guys who were at receiver. He's been in the league a long time, so he knows what he's doing. I didn't second-guess that," Meachem said. "Being a competitor, I wanted to be out there. It hurt not being out there, but we got the victory."

Bretsky
09-10-2008, 10:03 PM
And a star is born :!:

KYPack
09-10-2008, 10:05 PM
I thought this post was gonna be about a lesbian 8-way in Minnesota that B-Man could attend.

Zool
09-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Headline fixed.

Bretsky
09-10-2008, 10:08 PM
I thought this post was gonna be about a lesbian 8-way in Minnesota that B-Man could attend.

I thought that too

Actually I thought Zool had hooked us up with the Bikini gals at our PR party. Good ole Grailee sandwich :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zool
09-10-2008, 10:10 PM

I thought that too

Actually I thought Zool had hooked us up with the Bikini gals at our PR party. Good ole Grailee sandwich :lol: :lol: :lol:

With the 3 of them, it would have to be a club sammich.

pbmax
09-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Well these things happen in threes. If Odell Thurman makes a comeback and Bretsky gets the address of the Minnesota Lesbian Octagonal, his week will be complete :lol:

pbmax
09-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Nicely done.

Headline fixed.

Joemailman
09-10-2008, 10:12 PM
I was afraid the Packers had traded Arod for Odell Thurman.

KYPack
09-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Headline fixed.

Shit, ya shouldn't have fixed it.

With a headline like that, this cudda been the PR's own FYI!

MJZiggy
09-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Ya know, every time someone mentions the thought that it could be an FYI or 25 thread, the thread it's posted in instantly dies...

Bretsky
09-10-2008, 10:19 PM
I was afraid the Packers had traded Arod for Odell Thurman.

How about Harrell for Meachem ?? :lol:

Zool
09-10-2008, 10:21 PM
But then we would have to cut either Jordy, Jones or Ruvell. I dont think Thompson dares to cut Ruvell. BH will be outside his house.

pbmax
09-10-2008, 10:22 PM
I am against our GM making personnel decisions based on who he is dating :lol:

But then we would have to cut either Jordy, Jones or Ruvell. I dont think Thompson dates to cut Ruvell. BH will be outside his house.

Bretsky
09-10-2008, 10:24 PM
But then we would have to cut either Jordy, Jones or Ruvell. I dont think Thompson dares to cut Ruvell. BH will be outside his house.

Ballhawk would be showing up as the plane arrives to take a bat to Meachem's knees.

Speaking of Jordy, anybody notice how dam good the couple WR's look that were drafted after him.

I've been quite silent on this one so far.......seeing I like Chad Jackson I figured I should wait around a while before comparing Jordy to Royal and D Jackson from Phily.

Zool
09-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Ballhawk would be showing up as the plane arrives to take a bat to Meachem's knees.

Speaking of Jordy, anybody notice how dam good the couple WR's look that were drafted after him.

I've been quite silent on this one so far.......seeing I like Chad Jackson I figured I should wait around a while before comparing Jordy to Royal and D Jackson from Phily.

We need him to fill our tall fast white WR quota for the season.

pbmax
09-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Royal and Jackson could be good, but there is nothing in front of them. So they get an immediate opportunity. If Marshall returns, Royals' number might head south.

Jordy has three or four vets ahead of him that could start for either the Broncos or Eagles.

Bretsky
09-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Royal and Jackson could be good, but there is nothing in front of them. So they get an immediate opportunity. If Marshall returns, Royals' number might head south.

Jordy has three or four vets ahead of him that could start for either the Broncos or Eagles.

Did you watch the Broncos game ? Royal ran some sick...smooth looking routes. I haven't seen a ton of Jackson and he's got a great setup with McNabb and I think he's a special teams demon as well.

I'm not convinced having Ruvell Martin......or James Jones....ahead of you should get in the way of a guy with huge talent or upside. Both a decent players; but I'm sure we're all hoping Nelson at least moves to the four slot by end of year.

Bretsky
09-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Well these things happen in threes. If Odell Thurman makes a comeback and Bretsky gets the address of the Minnesota Lesbian Octagonal, his week will be complete :lol:

HEY, is HW holding out on me ????

Hand over the address :!: :!:

Zool
09-10-2008, 10:33 PM

Did you watch the Broncos game ? Royal ran some sick...smooth looking routes. I haven't seen a ton of Jackson and he's got a great setup with McNabb and I think he's a special teams demon as well.

I'm not convinced having Ruvell Martin......or James Jones....ahead of you should get in the way of a guy with huge talent or upside. Both a decent players; but I'm sure we're all hoping Nelson at least moves to the four slot by end of year.

He's in the 4 slot via injury right now, but I get your meaning. I'm hoping he is no more than a 2 years to develop guy and he can return kicks for now.

Bretsky
09-10-2008, 10:38 PM

He's in the 4 slot via injury right now, but I get your meaning. I'm hoping he is no more than a 2 years to develop guy and he can return kicks for now.

I was debating making a thread out of the top drafted WR's and seeing how they are all doing. But I'll wait a while. In training camp both the Broncos and Eagles raved about their guys like we marveled over Jennings.
Jones got some decent raves last year but not near Jennings. Just haven't heard about this guy sticking out in any way yet...and then when the dude can't been out my average Martin I have to wonder :?:

pbmax
09-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Saw the Broncos and Royal looked great. But Cutler was also throwing away from Nnamdi Asomugha and toward D'Angelo Hall. Not saying he isn't good, but I don't think he keeps this up.

As for Jordy, you would want to see him 3rd or fourth eventually. But he needs repetitions. Royal was a top three receiver all through the offseason and probably saw a lot more time with the 1s and Cutler. Same with DeSean.

pbmax
09-10-2008, 10:40 PM
All good points. Jones needs to stay healthy. But WRs usually take 3 years to develop. Jennings/Royal/Jackson are the rarer cases. He has time.

In training camp both the Broncos and Eagles raved about their guys like we marveled over Jennings.
Jones got some decent raves last year but not near Jennings. Just haven't heard about this guy sticking out in any way yet...and then when the dude can't been out my average Martin I have to wonder :?:

Zool
09-10-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm not sold on Jackson. Kevin Curtis is starting ahead of him. He looks to be really good in the return game though.

Lurker64
09-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Part of the concern with Jackson is that he's tiny and fragile. Performing well in one game doesn't defray either of those concerns.

gex
09-10-2008, 10:48 PM
This is some funny shit :lol:

Bretsky
09-10-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm not sold on Jackson. Kevin Curtis is starting ahead of him. He looks to be really good in the return game though.

I'm not sold on any of them yet; just interesting to compare the results and will be after a full year as well.

I'm guessing for the draft buffs Jordy Nelson wasn't rated above a few of the WR's left on the board. Then again, neither was Jennings.

Time will tell.

I wonder what the deal was with that Merhring dude; think his first name was Philip.

He fell a ways and seemed to fit out needs on the DL pretty well in round one.

My gut tells me he was a bad person...TT identifies them and veers away from them quite well it seems.

Partial
09-10-2008, 11:00 PM
I'm onto you you shaggy minx. Thought you could pull a fast one did ya? Well, we'll see who has the last laugh.

boiga
09-10-2008, 11:11 PM

I can see why Ted picked Jordy. He's 5 inches taller and thirty pounds heavier than Royal. I'd hate to see a guy like royal being hit by a monster like Bigby in the open field. He'd break in two.

We have plenty short (for a WR) crafty route runners on our team. Nelson will deliver in the long term. Few worries there.

pbmax
09-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Except for Jolly (and Nick, but that was Sherman) we have been avoiding trouble well. I am also impressed by the younger guys in the press. Bigby's texts with Florio made a good impression and seemed confident without going over the edge.

And then the article today on the Calvin Johnson on JSO quoted Bush and TWill at some length and they both seemed to have the same confidence and openness. That must have been some meeting with Ari Fleischer.

My gut tells me he was a bad person...TT identifies them and veers away from them quite well it seems.

KYPack
09-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Young WR's are a puzzle to me. All of 'em look great in college ball. Then, some of 'em hit the NFL and can't even make it out of camp. Others raise their game a half notch and go on to stardom.

Pro scouts can't spot it, but what is the big difference? It might be timing and the ability to run precise routes, but I don't know for sure.

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2008, 08:24 AM
I think ball skills play a huge part, and it's hard to quantify it. I played a lot of rec ball. I wasn't the biggest or fastest, but I had a knack for judging a ball in there. Judging how to run to where I was catching the ball in stride when it got to me. Perfect example is Troy Williamson vs. Greg Jennings. One has it. One doesn't. You can't teach it. I also was faster during the game than I was in a straight sprint. Some guys have track speed. Some guys have game speed and quickness. It seems like Ted Thompson does a good job evaluating this.

Bretsky
09-11-2008, 12:44 PM

I can see why Ted picked Jordy. He's 5 inches taller and thirty pounds heavier than Royal. I'd hate to see a guy like royal being hit by a monster like Bigby in the open field. He'd break in two.

We have plenty short (for a WR) crafty route runners on our team. Nelson will deliver in the long term. Few worries there.

I look it the other way; we have two good sized big targets in Jones and Ruvell Martin with average speed. Jennings has average size. Driver on the small side. So I wouldn't think we'd shy away from a burner who is smaller.

Lurker64
09-11-2008, 01:13 PM
I look it the other way; we have two good sized big targets in Jones and Ruvell Martin with average speed. Jennings has average size. Driver on the small side. So I wouldn't think we'd shy away from a burner who is smaller.

James Jones is 6'1" 207 lbs
Ruvell Martin is 6'4 210 lbs
Donald Driver is 6'0 190 lbs
Greg Jennings is 5'11 187 lbs.
Jordy Nelson is 6'3" 217 lbs.

Jordy is significantly bigger than any of our other WRs (except Martin) and is significantly faster than Martin. Jones and Nelson also had the same time in the 40 yard dash, but both play faster than they timed, and both have different running styles. Jordy has more of a long stride than Jones does.

I totally see why we would go for the "Big guy who was fast and has good hands."

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Young WR's are a puzzle to me. All of 'em look great in college ball. Then, some of 'em hit the NFL and can't even make it out of camp. Others raise their game a half notch and go on to stardom.

Pro scouts can't spot it, but what is the big difference? It might be timing and the ability to run precise routes, but I don't know for sure.

The college DBs play soft. Not a lot of contact coming off the line. I think college WRs can get by with speed alone. The pros have to be really tough, they have to LIKE contact. Like Driver.

pbmax
09-11-2008, 06:01 PM
That's an excellent point Blue Dog. And it might get worse before it gets better. Teams facing a spread offense, currently spreading to Michigan as we speak, typically will run more zone (especially underneath) than they normally do to keep people facing the QB/RB combo in case they decide to run it.

KYPack
09-11-2008, 07:45 PM

The college DBs play soft. Not a lot of contact coming off the line. I think college WRs can get by with speed alone. The pros have to be really tough, they have to LIKE contact. Like Driver.

Right. College WR's face a pro calibre CB every third or fourth game. They just don't face coverage that's anywhere near pro quality. It's hard to judge which guys will make it, even tho you know they must have their stuff down. Some kids you think are tough just wilt and unknowns like Rod Smith light it up.

Very tough to figure out in advance.

Bretsky
09-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Meachem.......first TD today

pbmax
09-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Jordy too. Don't tell Ballhawk, he'll worry about Ruvell.

Bretsky
09-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Jordy too. Don't tell Ballhawk, he'll worry about Ruvell.

Where was Ruvell ? Is he hurt again or just invisible again ? Well scratch the again on the invisible; I remember his game against the Giants :lol:

Zool
09-14-2008, 08:53 PM
He was in street clothes the whole game.

pbmax
09-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Inactive with a broken finger.

Bretsky
10-01-2008, 10:44 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/nfl/news?slug=bf-skinny_092908

10. This spot has become Robert Meachem's parking space. This is where I talk about how Meachem is the most talented Saints receiver not named Colston. This is where I gush about how well he played in the preseason and how he's done nothing but produce in games despite a ridiculous lack of looks. And it was more of the same in Week 4 – three pass targets, two catches, 99 yards and a touchdown. So, to recap, that's now three career games played, six targets, five catches, three receptions of 47-plus yards, and two touchdowns. Like Norwood, Meachem is making a serious case for more involvement.