PDA

View Full Version : Packers Franchise Worth 1 Billion

swede
09-10-2008, 10:15 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=9/10/2008&id=45991

Doesn't some organization like the Webster Street Boys and Girls Club get the money if the Packers were to be sold?

KYPack
09-10-2008, 10:33 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=9/10/2008&id=45991

Doesn't some organization like the Webster Street Boys and Girls Club get the money if the Packers were to be sold?

The American Legion Post was in line for that. They were written out of the by-laws in the '97 stock issue.

Scott Campbell
09-10-2008, 10:45 PM
I'm never going to be able to afford a team at this rate. :(

Zool
09-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Homer : Aw ... The Denver Broncos !?!
Marge : I think owning the Denver Broncos is pretty good.
Homer : Yeah, yeah.
Marge : Well, explain to me why it isn't.
Homer : You just don't understand football, Marge.

MadtownPacker
09-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Too bad the stock that got sold dont count.

GBRulz
09-10-2008, 11:07 PM

Why did you wait so long to buy a team? Ten years ago, the average NFL franchise was only $288 million! You snooze, you lose :lol:

boiga
09-10-2008, 11:21 PM

Why did you wait so long to buy a team? Ten years ago, the average NFL franchise was only $288 million! You snooze, you lose :lol:

That kind of kills the owners complaints that they aren't getting a big enough slice of the pie, doesn't it? If their net worth has more than tripled over the last ten years, then they really ought to just leave the formula as it stands. That's a damn good investment there.

Also, next time some one complains about Murphy's salary, laugh at them.

mraynrand
09-10-2008, 11:33 PM
I own a bunch of Freddie Mac and Fanny Mae stock. Can I buy a team with that?

LL2
09-11-2008, 08:54 AM
I own a bunch of Freddie Mac and Fanny Mae stock. Can I buy a team with that?

I'm afraid not...I think the government has your money now.

SudsMcBucky
09-11-2008, 10:01 AM
[quote="GBRulz"][quote=Scott Campbell]
That kind of kills the owners complaints that they aren't getting a big enough slice of the pie, doesn't it? If their net worth has more than tripled over the last ten years, then they really ought to just leave the formula as it stands. That's a damn good investment there.

Also, next time some one complains about Murphy's salary, laugh at them.

Well, the owners SHOULD get the biggest slice of the pie. After all, they DID put up a HUGE piece of cash to purchase this. If you were the owner of a company, wouldn't you expect the biggest piece of the pie? That's kind of why people buy companies. They take the risk/lay out the big dollars, they get the biggest rewards.

mraynrand
09-11-2008, 10:08 AM
One BILLION Dollars!!

http://www.solarnavigator.net/films_movies_actors/film_images/Austin_Powers_Mike_Myers_as_Dr_Evil.jpg

boiga
09-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Well, the owners SHOULD get the biggest slice of the pie. After all, they DID put up a HUGE piece of cash to purchase this. If you were the owner of a company, wouldn't you expect the biggest piece of the pie? That's kind of why people buy companies. They take the risk/lay out the big dollars, they get the biggest rewards.

The owners do get the biggest piece of the pie at the end of the day. The players get a little over half on the yearly revenue in the form of paychecks while the owners use the rest to pay for marketing, stadium renovations, etc. Whatever is left over goes in the owner's pocket, which I'm sure depends on the team.

However, any increase in the value of the franchise goes directly into the owners net worth. So, if they bought a franchise for 288 million dollars 10 years ago and now it's worth over a billion dollars, you've more than tripled the value of your investment. Considering that the stadium construction that added so much to those net worths over the last 10 years were all heavily subsidized by local taxpayers, most of that increase in value goes directly into the owners pocket. That's hundreds of millions of dollars.

And they are complaining? The current system has been good for the owners.

Pugger
09-11-2008, 07:01 PM
From what I understand if the Packers, God forbid, fold :shock: I think the assets go to Green Bay Packers Charities Inc. :?:

NewsBruin
09-11-2008, 08:20 PM
When my best friend and I went to Lambeau a few years back, we saw a very nice memorial to the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard on Lambeau property (between the parking lot and Brett Favre's steakhouse).

Did they do this to satisfy the American Legion requirements of the original stock, if the team were to be sold?

oregonpackfan
09-11-2008, 11:31 PM

Scott,

Maybe it is time you cut household expenses.

If you would put half a dozen of your wives on Ebay, that could cut your expenses, increase your portfolio, and get you that much closer to the $1 billion in personal assets! :)

Scott Campbell
09-11-2008, 11:35 PM

Scott,

Maybe it is time you cut household expenses.

If you would put half a dozen of your wives on Ebay, that could cut your expenses, increase your portfolio, and get you that much closer to the $1 billion in personal assets! :)

Yeah, but if they aren't around to work, I might have to get a job.

SnakeLH2006
09-12-2008, 01:20 AM
Damn... 1 Billion dollars???

http://www.forsythe4kc.com/uploaded_images/billion_dollars-720856.jpg

SudsMcBucky
09-12-2008, 08:10 AM
[
The owners do get the biggest piece of the pie at the end of the day. The players get a little over half on the yearly revenue in the form of paychecks while the owners use the rest to pay for marketing, stadium renovations, etc. Whatever is left over goes in the owner's pocket, which I'm sure depends on the team.

However, any increase in the value of the franchise goes directly into the owners net worth. So, if they bought a franchise for 288 million dollars 10 years ago and now it's worth over a billion dollars, you've more than tripled the value of your investment. Considering that the stadium construction that added so much to those net worths over the last 10 years were all heavily subsidized by local taxpayers, most of that increase in value goes directly into the owners pocket. That's hundreds of millions of dollars.

And they are complaining? The current system has been good for the owners.

Yes, and it's ALSO been good for the players. The owners SHOULD also get the increase in value of their franchises. Kind of like owning stock that pay dividends. Let's face it, EVERYONE (except maybe fans who are paying much higher ticket prices and PSL's) are winning in the NFL: the owners, the players, the networks, etc....

boiga
09-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Yes, and it's ALSO been good for the players. The owners SHOULD also get the increase in value of their franchises. Kind of like owning stock that pay dividends. Let's face it, EVERYONE (except maybe fans who are paying much higher ticket prices and PSL's) are winning in the NFL: the owners, the players, the networks, etc....

I agree, which is why I don't think the owners should bargain too hard for a bigger slice in the new CBA. The current system works. Put in a rookie pay scale, put in some reforms that consider improving technology, and get this done before the uncapped year screws up the parity.