PDA

View Full Version : swine cosmetics

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2008, 01:45 AM
i know Obama's "lipstick on a pig" comment was already discussed somewhere else, but I can't find it.

It was obviously an innocent remark by Obama, and totally silly and dishonest that people are suggesting that Obama called Palin a pig. Dirty politics.

But I say it is karma biting the Messiah in the ass. Obama and his followers have played very dirty. When Clinton made her comment about the Bobby Kennedy assasination, the Obama campaign immediately came out with a strong condemnation, suggesting that Clinton had stooped very low in suggesting that Obama might take a bullet. They claimed she said it to bolster her candidacy. That's not at all what she was suggesting, and the Obama camp knew it. They let the controversy burn red hot for two days, then after the damage was done, Obama denounced the criticism of Clinton.

At the Dem convention, Obama said in his acceptance speech "John McCain says middle class people earn up to $5M per year, he's out of touch." If you look at the actual quote that this accusation is based on, it is obvious that McCain meant nothing of the sort, he was making a flip joke mocking a question, and he explicitly stated he was kidding. Obama knows this, he is playing dirty politics.

Obama, and especially his zealous followers, have been nothing short of ruthless.

SkinBasket
09-11-2008, 07:03 AM
I agree with mraynrand, in that it's not a big deal and it's just part of the game.

I do not believe, however, that it was an accident or that he didn't intend to link the comment to Palin. If that were the case, he wouldn't have delivered the line like some amateur night comedian, pausing for the laughs after "you can put lipstick on a pig," and then again after he delivered his punchline. Did he really think his crowd thought his turn of phrase was funny without the association?

Then again, maybe he's just becoming accustomed to crowds cheering when he blows his nose and laughing out of sheer ecstatic jubilation of being within 1000 yards of him.

BTW, this discussion is happening in the Stick a fork in this moron thread.

Maxie the Taxi
09-11-2008, 09:09 AM
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr125/ciribiribin/images.jpgBlue Dog, I think I love you!

The Leaper
09-11-2008, 09:20 AM
It was obviously an innocent remark by Obama, and totally silly and dishonest that people are suggesting that Obama called Palin a pig. Dirty politics.

Yep...just as McCain's "houses" quote was really just an innocent remark and POUNDED and POUNDED and POUNDED by the Dems. Dirty politics.

Both sides play dirty...thinking one side is above the other means you are biased or dumb.

Bottom line...Obama's line was innocent, but it opened a door for the other side to take a potshot. In an election, the person who opens the fewest doors usually wins. Obama and Biden both stuck their foot in their mouth this week...and several surrogates on the Dem side did as well.

IMO, the Dems are showing frustration. They've thought they had this election wrapped up for years now. Bush is an idiot, and the country seems to desperately want change. However, there sits old, wrinkled, boring McCain...neck and neck with the Dems golden boy. The frustration is causing people to say some really stupid stuff.

texaspackerbacker
09-11-2008, 10:52 AM
There's also the McCain comment about 100 years in Iraq.

These things obviously get more coverage for a longer time and without the attempted mitigation by the media when it is the Republicans saying them.

I honestly don't think Obama meant to call Palin a pig. His remark was mostly innocent, and the Republican outrage indeed was phony. But just the same, this just goes a little way toward making up for the media leaping on Republican innocent or out of context comments.

The bottom line is that the whole mess has hurt Obama and helped McCain/Palin. The other bottom line is that Obama without a teleprompter is a ticking time bomb for his own cause--probably because of the tangled web he's weaving while habitually trying to deceive. McCain and Palin, on the other hand, are real and genuine. They are also right and in tune with the people on the issues. Therefore, they don't need to deceive, and can speak from the heart without danger of alienating a bunch of people.

Maxie the Taxi
09-11-2008, 11:15 AM
There's also the McCain comment about 100 years in Iraq.

These things obviously get more coverage for a longer time and without the attempted mitigation by the media when it is the Republicans saying them.

I honestly don't think Obama meant to call Palin a pig. His remark was mostly innocent, and the Republican outrage indeed was phony. But just the same, this just goes a little way toward making up for the media leaping on Republican innocent or out of context comments.

The bottom line is that the whole mess has hurt Obama and helped McCain/Palin. The other bottom line is that Obama without a teleprompter is a ticking time bomb for his own cause--probably because of the tangled web he's weaving while habitually trying to deceive. McCain and Palin, on the other hand, are real and genuine. They are also right and in tune with the people on the issues. Therefore, they don't need to deceive, and can speak from the heart without danger of alienating a bunch of people.

I honestly question Obama's being innocent in his remark. Of course, we will never know for sure what his intention was. My guess is he was trying to be cute (getting a jab in at Palin under the radar) but didn't get away with it. Even if he didn't intend the remark as a jab, he should have caught on after the audience reacted as they did. He'd have to be brain-dead not to be aware of Palin's pitt bull/hockey mom/lipstick quote. His mistake was in choosing not to dispell the audience's inference at the moment.

I don't believe he intended to call Palin a pig (that's where the Republican response went off track). I do think Obama was referring to McCain's "same old" policies by mouthing that old saying. But he had to know the audience would draw the inference they did. That's what made the comment snide. He could get the jab in and still claim plausable deniability.

For God's sake, the man even had to pause in the middle of his comment for the audience's reaction to quiet so the punch line could be heard.

No, he knew (or should have known). I've seen him do this kind of thing before with a straight "innocent" demeanor. As ya'll noted above, the man has no scruples. Using the $5-million/yr. = rich McCain quote was beyond audacity.

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2008, 12:49 PM
My guess is he was trying to be cute (getting a jab in at Palin under the radar) but didn't get away with it. Even if he didn't intend the remark as a jab, he should have caught on after the audience reacted as they did. He'd have to be brain-dead not to be aware of Palin's pitt bull/hockey mom/lipstick quote. His mistake was in choosing not to dispell the audience's inference at the moment.

I can agree with your last statement, he must have known why people reacted so strongly, and he chose to just go with the flow.

He's a very smart politician, I really doubt he would even play-around with calling a popular, sympathetic opponent a "pig."

BallHawk
09-11-2008, 12:56 PM
November 4th can't get here soon enough.

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Both sides play dirty...thinking one side is above the other means you are biased or dumb.

I'm not sure which of those two camps I fall into. I have found Obama's crowd to be worse than either Clinton or McCain zealots. Unless you want to count the racist rumor mongering about BHO on the internet to be part of the campaign.

Speaking of which .... my mom got some spam that said Obama was not really part black, but part arab. There are plenty of Arabs in Kenya, Somalia , so I suppose that is the basis. Anyway, my mom, who dislikes and distrusts Obama, was excited by this email, she found it interesting. Arabs were slave traders, not slaves she pointed out. I tried to tell her that this is ugly, racist propoganda, and it doesn't matter a damn even if he was part Arab.

I always wondered what sort of morons could be influenced by those ridiculous internet emails. Now I know. Elderly people are suseptible to rumor mongering, that crap actually has an effect.

Maxie the Taxi
09-11-2008, 01:06 PM

I'm not sure which of those two camps I fall into. I have found Obama's crowd to be worse than either Clinton or McCain zealots. Unless you want to count the racist rumor mongering about BHO on the internet to be part of the campaign.

Speaking of which .... my mom got some spam that said Obama was not really part black, but part arab. There are plenty of Arabs in Kenya, Somalia , so I suppose that is the basis. Anyway, my mom, who dislikes and distrusts Obama, was excited by this email, she found it interesting. Arabs were slave traders, not slaves she pointed out. I tried to tell her that this is ugly, racist propoganda, and it doesn't matter a damn even if he was part Arab.

I always wondered what sort of morons could be influenced by those ridiculous internet emails. Now I know. Elderly people are suseptible to rumor mongering, that crap actually has an effect.

There's got to be a huge bunch of swing votes among the elderly (I'm talking 90+). One woman told me she's leaning toward McCain now because of the Palin choice. She's standing up to her husband who wants her to vote Obama. Her husband is a union man who voted Democrat his entire life. He wouldn't have a black man living next to him, but he's voting for one. That's racial progress, I guess.

mraynrand
09-11-2008, 01:36 PM

are you saying your mother is a moron?

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2008, 01:43 PM
yes. i threw her under the bus

texaspackerbacker
09-11-2008, 01:46 PM
yes. i threw her under the bus

Obama yo mama! I just couldn't help myself. I had to say that.

swede
09-11-2008, 03:37 PM
I agree with mraynrand, in that it's not a big deal and it's just part of the game.

I do not believe, however, that it was an accident or that he didn't intend to link the comment to Palin. If that were the case, he wouldn't have delivered the line like some amateur night comedian, pausing for the laughs after "you can put lipstick on a pig," and then again after he delivered his punchline. Did he really think his crowd thought his turn of phrase was funny without the association?

Skin is right on this. The line is a homey colloquialism meant to draw smiles and make a good point.

The reaction of the crowd proves the point the the line now carries a double entendre of which Senator Obama is keenly aware. They hooted in delight, and if they're smart enough to see the connection you know Barry is. Obama even touched his brow before delivering the line as if he weren't absolutely sure he wanted to go there. But he did go there knowing he had a certain amount of cover since both he and McCain have used the line before.

The McCain campaign should have shrugged it off without any of that false outrage that characterizes the tired old act of modern politics. The unofficial McCain Campaign reaction bothered me more than the line itself. The official reaction has been a little bit better and not so hysterical.