PDA

View Full Version : Lumpy may see action Sunday

Maxie the Taxi
09-11-2008, 11:32 AM
from Packers.com

Grant is still hurting and Jackson has a slight concussion.

"While McCarthy expressed confidence in the availability of Grant and Jackson for Sunday, he also said he would be comfortable with Lumpkin taking on an increased role if a situation called for him to be the feature back.

"I think he could handle it all," McCarthy said. "He's done a very good job with his opportunities. You can only judge him on what he's done, and very time the young man has been given an opportunity to play, he has improved."

MTPackerfan
09-11-2008, 11:56 AM
I would be curious to see how Lumpy does compared to Jackson. I thought Jackson was back to his old tentative ways on Monday night.

Maxie the Taxi
09-11-2008, 12:03 PM
I would be curious to see how Lumpy does compared to Jackson. I thought Jackson was back to his old tentative ways on Monday night.

Me too. I'd rather have a healthy Lumpy than a concussed Jackson. On the other hand, I'd rather have a limping Grant than either of the other two.

Guiness
09-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Umm, Detroit. We could start Jon Ryan if he was still on the squad.

Geez though, I shudder when I saw that. Talk about your classic let-down game. MM has his work cut out for him keeping the team focused.

Lumpkin could start, and look fine, but I don't think it's terribly fair to say BJack couldn't run against Minn at the end of the game when they knew we were trying to run down the clock, and Lumpkin could run against Detroit, so he's better!!!

swede
09-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Umm, Detroit. We could start Jon Ryan if he was still on the squad.

Geez though, I shudder when I saw that. Talk about your classic let-down game. MM has his work cut out for him keeping the team focused.

Lumpkin could start, and look fine, but I don't think it's terribly fair to say BJack couldn't run against Minn at the end of the game when they knew we were trying to run down the clock, and Lumpkin could run against Detroit, so he's better!!!

Having to go without Grant, and having a ton of other niggling injuries as well, is just the sort of adversity that can help to focus a team's attention. I hope that Lumpy is fired up and ready to create backup RB controversy if Grant and BJack can't go.

MadtownPacker
09-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Having to go without Grant, and having a ton of other niggling injuries as well, is just the sort of adversity that can help to focus a team's attention. I hope that Lumpy is fired up and ready to create backup RB controversy if Grant and BJack can't go.Uh oh,that truth might have slipped. :shock:

But yeah, time to take our Lumpkins this weekend and find out what the rookie gots. I got my chips on him to do some big things.

Sparkey
09-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Having to go without Grant, and having a ton of other niggling injuries as well, is just the sort of adversity that can help to focus a team's attention. I hope that Lumpy is fired up and ready to create backup RB controversy if Grant and BJack can't go.Uh oh,that truth might have slipped. :shock:

But yeah, time to take our Lumpkins this weekend and find out what the rookie gots. I got my chips on him to do some big things.

My biggest concern with Lumps is how he would be with blitz recognition.

mission
09-11-2008, 01:21 PM

My biggest concern with Lumps is how he would be with blitz recognition.

If the Lions blitz, A-Rod will eat them alive IMO. I dont think we'll be seeing a lot of it but who knows ...

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2008, 01:24 PM

Me too. I'd rather have a healthy Lumpy than a concussed Jackson. On the other hand, I'd rather have a limping Grant than either of the other two.

I hope Grant is inactive. I'd rather take a loss now than lose Grant for 8 weeks. Look how long it has taken his hamstring just to get to this 80% stage.

It will be damn interesting to see if Lumpy can get yards under real game conditions. And I think it is important not to coddle Jackson one bit just because he is a 2nd round pick.

Don't be too shocked if DeShawn Wynn gets elevated from the practice squad sometime this year. I don't know how good he is overall, but he's shown he is a natural runner, has been effective in his short stints.

Guiness
09-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Geez Blue Dog - I'd clean forgotten we've got Wynn sitting there.

IMO I think Grant is active...but not starting. They put him in if Lump/BJack are ineffective and he is needed. And if that is the case, Wynn could well come up the following week.

MM should be confident enough that we can beat Detroit with what we've got.

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2008, 01:40 PM

ya, I think some moron said he was in New Orleans.

I really can't agree with having Grant on the sidelines on an "as needed" basis. Too risky. Its only one game.

Maxie the Taxi
09-11-2008, 02:29 PM

I really can't agree with having Grant on the sidelines on an "as needed" basis. Too risky. Its only one game.

I agree. Plus, I'd sit Ruvell for a while and play Jones and Nelson. We've got Allen and Swain on the PS.

boiga
09-11-2008, 02:37 PM
I don't think Grant would be willing to sit out though, barring a serious relapse. His pay is determined by his play, so he'll want to be out there.

He was smart in the Minn game holding himself back a little on that long run, and I'd bet 80% of Grant will be more productive than Jackson or Lumps. He just has to play smart again and take a reduced number of reps.

Also, Ruvell's fracture is being exaggerated. He made a great catch last game, so he can perform as he is.

texaspackerbacker
09-11-2008, 06:54 PM
So that was Grant at 80%? I know he's something special, but wow!

Seriously, I think he will play most of the downs as long as the game is in doubt.

I expect a lot more from Lumpkin than from Jackson, based on what I've seen from the two of them. Jackson is a serviceable third down back who can do some things OK. Lumpkin, however, seemed to have a lot more potential--speed, strength, cutting ability, etc. Neither one is close to Grant, but if we needed somebody to go in and run 20 times in a game or so, I could see Lumpkin getting a lot more yards than Jackson.

SnakeLH2006
09-12-2008, 02:01 AM
So that was Grant at 80%? I know he's something special, but wow!

Seriously, I think he will play most of the downs as long as the game is in doubt.

I expect a lot more from Lumpkin than from Jackson, based on what I've seen from the two of them. Jackson is a serviceable third down back who can do some things OK. Lumpkin, however, seemed to have a lot more potential--speed, strength, cutting ability, etc. Neither one is close to Grant, but if we needed somebody to go in and run 20 times in a game or so, I could see Lumpkin getting a lot more yards than Jackson.

True....Grant got paid cuz he makes big plays...as good as we remember B.Jack looking late last year he looked the fool getting stuffed, botching easy catches, fumbling in the first game. Granted it was preseason, but the Lump looks good. Give him a chance.

mission
09-12-2008, 03:46 AM

wait -- so he's NOT a saint?

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2008, 03:53 AM
that's right, mission, we took Lassie to the vet and had her put down. she's in heaven now.

mission
09-12-2008, 04:02 AM
that's right, mission, we took Lassie to the vet and had her put down. she's in heaven now.

timmy musta told paugh too late huh ...

mmmdk
09-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Lumpy? Do you mean Kreggy!? :lol:

I believe he'll see action on sunday; we need someone to bowl over and be able to run up the gut on Lions. BJ was a no show vs Vikings but the upcoming D-line is not the Viking D-line. Oh and I expect Grant to be very limited or inactive sunday.

Holdout hammy...funny! :D

boiga
09-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Lumpy? Do you mean Kreggy!? :lol:

More like "Fuzzy" http://www.geocities.com/televisioncity/set/3995/icons/sfuzzy.gif

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2008, 12:07 PM
"Lumpy" - sounds like one of the 7 dwarfs.

If Grant goes down, I'm afraid our running back would be the three dwarfs. Poor Aaron Rodgers, Snow White.

I would rather lose to the Lions than lose Grant for an extended period. I think they should error on the side of caution. When I heard that Grant was told to not "open it up all the way" in the last game for fear of blowing out the hamstring, I realize we're playing with fire.

rbaloha1
09-12-2008, 01:02 PM
I have complete faith with Lumpkin. Played at Georgia so KL should not be overwhelmed by a regular season NFL game.

KL was impressive in preseason displaying decent cutting ability and a good forward lean. Wynn is also a serviceable backup for a few games.

Jackson did not look right against the Vikings. Maybe the concussion affected his ability to find the right holes.

While none of the rbs match RG's vision and big play potential they all can move the chains. TT continues to amaze with creating good depth at all positions except qb.

MadtownPacker
09-12-2008, 01:05 PM
This is what Jackson can't or doesn't do.

http://packerrats.com/gallery/media/081608/lumpkins.wmv

BobDobbs
09-12-2008, 03:12 PM
I hope that they use Jackson as a receiver out of the backfield more. Although not on screen plays until our lineman find a way to block that play. I think he's great in the open field. Behind the line though he just kind of stutter steps a little bit. It' like he' waiting for a hole to really open up wide instead of slicing through. The NFL is no place for hesitation, maybe that is something he can get past.
After Jackson's performance last week and Grant's ailing hammy it is time to give Lumpkin 10-15 carries against the Lions.

MadtownPacker
09-12-2008, 07:39 PM
After Jackson's performance last week and Grant's ailing hammy it is time to give Lumpkin 10-15 carries against the Lions.We have another believer ladies and gentlemen!!

Let the Lumpkins era begin!!!!!!! :alc:

The Shadow
09-12-2008, 07:42 PM
]"Lumpy" - sounds like one of the 7 dwarfs.[/b]

If Grant goes down, I'm afraid our running back would be the three dwarfs. Poor Aaron Rodgers, Snow White.

I would rather lose to the Lions than lose Grant for an extended period. I think they should error on the side of caution. When I heard that Grant was told to not "open it up all the way" in the last game for fear of blowing out the hamstring, I realize we're playing with fire.

Clarence "Lumpy" Rutherford was one of Wally Cleaver's friends - besides Eddie Haskell.

Iron Mike
09-13-2008, 08:02 AM
Clarence "Lumpy" Rutherford was one of Wally Cleaver's friends - besides Eddie Haskell.

http://www.portfolio.com/images/feeds/blogs/200px-B_lumpy01.JPG