PDA

View Full Version : Christl Blog : OTA Camp Blog 06/20/06

motife
06-20-2006, 05:11 PM
TUESDAY, June 20, 2006, 3:47 p.m.
A score, but a gift

The Green Bay Packers’ offense finally scored in the two-minute drill Tuesday, but it took some extra downs and the defense throwing in the towel. The drill was limited to one series with the ball placed at the 30-yard line and with Brett Favre at quarterback. And as has been the case throughout the OTAs, everything unraveled from there. On first down, rookie left guard Daryn Colledge was guilty of a false start penalty, moving the ball back to the 25. On first-and-15, running back Noah Herron cut across the middle and dropped a perfect strike from Favre. On second-and-15, wide receiver Marc Boerigter beat cornerback Patrick Dendy on a go pattern down the sideline and dropped another perfect pass from Favre. On third down, Favre hit wide receiver Donald Driver on a slant for 6 yards. On fourth down, Favre connected with tight end Donald Lee, who stepped out of bounds short of the first down.

Rather than call off the period at that point, coach Mike McCarthy gave the offense a first down at the 50. But that plan lasted one play when rookie Jason Spitz, who was filling in for a missing Scott Wells at center, sailed the next snap over Favre’s head. This time, McCarthy had the ball spotted at the defense’s 45-yard line with the chains showing a second-and-five situation and he called for a Hail Mary. As the receivers all ran go routes, defensive coordinator Bob Sanders yelled, “Let ‘em have it. Let ‘em have it.” The defensive backs quit on the play and free agent wide receiver Ruvell Martin cradled Favre’s fly ball in the end zone.

Think the Chicago Bears will be as accommodating to the Packers’ offense come Sept. 10?

During the special teams period, free agent Jon Ryan averaged 49 yards on 10 punts and that was into a wind. B.J. Sander averaged 36.9 yards. Sander punted better earlier in practice in a session from the 2-yard line.

Herron dropped another screen pass from quarterback Aaron Rodgers in the first team session. … Tight end David Martin made a tough catch down the middle over linebacker Ben Taylor in another team period. The pass covered 29 yards. … Rodgers had another pass tipped at the line, this time by defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins. … Dendy intercepted a pass thrown by Favre and intended for Driver over the middle.

Spitz filled in at center with the first unit. Although he said he never played there at Louisville, Spitz worked at center before his junior and senior years in spring practice. Junius Coston took Spitz’s place at right guard. … Only three cornerbacks participated in practice: Ahmad Carroll, Dendy and Therrian Fontenot.

Wide receivers Rod Gardner (hamstring) and Robert Ferguson (thigh) were held out of team and 7-on-7 drills for a second straight day. Favre and Rodgers combined for 23 completions in 38 attempts in those sessions, but the young receivers failed again to seize the moment. Wide receivers caught `12 of the 23, but Driver had four catches. Second-round pick Greg Jennings caught two passes, one a wide receiver screen, but got at least a hand on three others and couldn't make the catch. Take away the wide receiver screens and short passes, and about the only medium-range catches were two passes over the middle to free agents Chris Francies and Ruvell Martin, and an out to Jennings.

Along with Jennings, defensive tackle Kenderick Allen also returned to practice. Wells, linebacker Tracy White and cornerback Jerron Wishom were missing for what McCarthy said were personal reasons.

Rastak
06-20-2006, 05:41 PM
"let em have it"

WTF is that?

Why?

billy_oliver880
06-20-2006, 05:44 PM
"let em have it"

WTF is that?

Why?

Frustration? :mad:

Polaris
06-20-2006, 05:49 PM
A better question is why we're throwing Hail Mary's on 2nd and 5 from the 45. I know it's just an OTA, but I think you practice the way you play and vice versa and I hope to God our offense this year isn't going to feature the "Let's throw it up for grabs and hope somebody makes a play" long ball that worked so poorly for us last year.

Tony Oday
06-20-2006, 05:50 PM
wow that looks shitty! all the drops cmon? MAN!!!! CMON!!!!!!!!

woodbuck27
06-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Boy! Am I ever impressed!! I can't wait till this season begins and we get on with it. Through another miserable season?

DAM. . . . we have a long ways to go. That sounded about what I might expect from a report of some "Special Olympics Football Team practise".

Nooooo, that would have sounded better.

Rastak
06-20-2006, 06:20 PM
"let em have it"

WTF is that?

Why?

Why would the DC be frustrated? I could see if McCarthy yelled it....although that would have been worse.

billy_oliver880
06-20-2006, 06:47 PM
"let em have it"

WTF is that?

Why?

Why would the DC be frustrated? I could see if McCarthy yelled it....although that would have been worse.

Simpathy for such a poor showing? :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
06-20-2006, 08:08 PM
"let em have it"

I think he was telling the DBs to deliver a helmet in the small of the back to the receiver.

Rastak
06-20-2006, 11:02 PM
"let em have it"

I think he was telling the DBs to deliver a helmet in the small of the back to the receiver.

Ah, and they misunderstood and thought he meant let 'em score.....that explains it.

:smile:

mmmdk
06-21-2006, 12:39 AM
There some good in this; the offense is working against a really good defense and it should make them better. I'm not worried yet. With that said, I believe the offense is very fragile at WR and OL plus, to some extend, the RBs. The offense cannot afford too many injuries or it'll be practice squad players starting.

RashanGary
06-21-2006, 02:41 AM
Kind of an arrogant way of saying "we torched you, we're better than you, we'll give you 1 just so you feel better at the end of the day."

KYPack
06-21-2006, 08:06 AM
Rookie Lineman screwing up?
WR's dropping balls all over the place?

The O floundering and ineffective?

I hope this is just the "pre-camp blues" or it's gonna be a long season.

Deputy Nutz
06-21-2006, 08:57 AM
All these fuckup in the OTAs are just unacceptable. Do you realize that the Bear game is only 2 months and 20 days away? Just terrible.

MJZiggy
06-21-2006, 09:05 AM
If they're gonna fuck up, I'd rather they did it in the OTAs than the Bears game. I say let them make the mistakes now and get the kinks worked out now so they don't have these missteps later. We have all of training camp to get it down perfectly.

Run2win38
06-21-2006, 09:39 AM
Sept 1 - 3
Oct 1 - 3
Nov 2 - 2
Dec 3 - 1

(I know the months and games don't match up - please be kind)

It'll be a long first half of the season (learning curve) - second half the Pack goes 5 - 3 and we start having some fun

We may get rolled a couple a times in the front end of the season - but the defense (which actually hits people now) keeps us in most of the games

Christmas will be good as we all see marked improvment - we'll have lots to look forward to in 07

Of course I hope I am wrong and the Pack whips all comers this season

SD GB fan
06-21-2006, 07:40 PM
i agree with starting out slow. this team is young and has a lot of new ppl starting. but they got talent and they just need a lot of chances to develop and show it. but with improvement this year and another solid draft next year, this cud be a playoff team in 07.

edit: if favre doesnt retire and keeps playing well or if arod immediately plays well.

Fritz
06-22-2006, 06:09 AM
"Special Olympics Football Team practise"

I think the special olympics people are going to come down hard on you for this one. I'd go with a keystone cops comparison.

I know these OTA's aren't supposed to mean anything, but doesn't it seem the news just gets progressively worse? I'm concerned that people on the forum who've been to some of these have noted that none of the coaches seem to be coming down on f__-offs like Ahmad Carroll. The whole thing is starting to sound like a circus act. Maybe at training camp a Volkswagen Beetle will pull up to the field and twelve offensive linemen will emerge.