PDA

View Full Version : Packer Rats in Texax: BEWARE! Ike is a mean SOB.

Maxie the Taxi
09-11-2008, 12:25 PM
I live in the Florida panhandle and we're already getting seas worse than Gus. The main thoroughfare through town is already underwater and closed off. THAT DIDN'T COME CLOSE TO HAPPENING WITH GUS, and Gus hit closer to us.

Please, don't get complacent if you're in the path of this one. My sincere prayers are with all of you. Please be safe!!!

Freak Out
09-11-2008, 12:30 PM
A friend of mine in Galveston is already gone. He's learned the hard way in the past.

Maxie the Taxi
09-11-2008, 12:34 PM
A friend of mine in Galveston is already gone. He's learned the hard way in the past.

Good for him. I don't think riding this one out is going to be smart. Ike seems to be pushing more water than usual. Surge could be a killer in the Galveston/Houston area.

BallHawk
09-11-2008, 12:45 PM
http://www.history.noaa.gov/images/issac_cline.jpg

Hai guz. Did somebody say something about a hurricane? Don't worry, Galveston is safe. I say so.

texaspackerbacker
09-11-2008, 01:41 PM
A few days ago, it looked like the Brownsville/South Padre Island area was the center. Yesterday, Corpus Christi seemed like the center, and it would be coming right up I35 in my direction. This morning, they're looking at Galveston where it comes ashore, and more like going up I45. That puts me on the outer fringe of it. If it moves any farther east, my area will miss it altogether, but Houston will get clobbered along with most of the oil refineries.

The good news is it isn't strengthening like they expected--not yet, anyway.

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2008, 01:45 PM
honestly, I would probably ride the storm out, unless I was right on the coast. Not that there is anything smart about this choice.

texaspackerbacker
09-11-2008, 01:51 PM
The trend these days is evacuation. They're expecting 2-3,000 in our county, more than that in Waco, and some huge number in Austin.

As long as I wasn't in a flood area, I, too, would rather stay home.

Here, 200 miles inland, it's all just theoretical anyway.

mraynrand
09-11-2008, 01:57 PM
I left Houston two days ago and finally feel safe now that I've made it to Spokane.

BallHawk
09-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Evacuating is only really necessary if you.....

1. Have somebody that requires medical attention
2. Live in a trailer home
3. Live in a flood-prone area
4. And if you have a cat 5 coming your way.

Rode out Wilma down here as well as Charley. Hurricane's are hyped a bit too much by the media, evac isn't really necessary for MOST people, IMO.

Maxie the Taxi
09-11-2008, 02:18 PM

1. Have somebody that requires medical attention
2. Live in a trailer home
3. Live in a flood-prone area
4. And if you have a cat 5 coming your way.

Rode out Wilma down here as well as Charley. Hurricane's are hyped a bit too much by the media, evac isn't really necessary for MOST people, IMO.

5. Are going to have a colonoscopy. :) (I had one this morning. Ouch.)

GoPackGo
09-11-2008, 03:18 PM
i just talked to my buddy in Houston. he's at the airport now and getting out of dodge

CyclonePackFan
09-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Left at 6 a.m. this morning, 2 hours before my evacuation was made mandatory. We got notice last night that JSC was closing at noon today, and that was enough for me and some friends to get out of dodge this morning.

It is nice that people got smarter and realized that if you're not in the southeast side, you need to STAY OFF THE DAMN INTERSTATE so those of us who actually need to get out can get out.

So now I'm stuck in the armpit of Texas (Dallas)...hopefully my house is unscathed when I return...

Tyrone Bigguns
09-11-2008, 08:08 PM

ty grew up in galveston. Lived thru one hurricane there.

oregonpackfan
09-11-2008, 11:26 PM
I understand the Texas-Arkansas football game has been postponed.

Though that game is relatively minor compared to other life events, I just wonder how many weddings, funerals, family reunions, business conferences, etc. have been cancelled to this event.

texaspackerbacker
09-11-2008, 11:31 PM
I understand the Texas-Arkansas football game has been postponed.

Though that game is relatively minor compared to other life events, I just wonder how many weddings, funerals, family reunions, business conferences, etc. have been cancelled to this event.

All over the eastern 2/3 of Texas, the Friday Night Lights were shining tonight--Thursday.

Partial
09-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Two of my gfs good friends just got married and moved down there. Hope they're on their way out.

Partial
09-12-2008, 12:06 AM
Left at 6 a.m. this morning, 2 hours before my evacuation was made mandatory. We got notice last night that JSC was closing at noon today, and that was enough for me and some friends to get out of dodge this morning.

It is nice that people got smarter and realized that if you're not in the southeast side, you need to STAY OFF THE DAMN INTERSTATE so those of us who actually need to get out can get out.

So now I'm stuck in the armpit of Texas (Dallas)...hopefully my house is unscathed when I return...

grad school?

CyclonePackFan
09-12-2008, 08:54 AM

grad school?

Johnson Space Center...working down here full-time now doing Proximity Operations and Docking for the new Lunar Lander

Somewhat irritating that I've had to board up my house 3 times in a little over a month. Did it for Edouard because I had moved in 2 days prior and was basically living in a construction zone with all the other houses around me getting built, did it for Gustav because I had to leave the Thursday before Labor Day (when Houston was still in the bullseye) and wouldn't be able to make it home in time if it did come my way, and now Ike (looks like I was justified on that one)

Although as I'm reading the news, I'm liking my call to evacuate when I did more and more by the minute.

Freak Out
09-12-2008, 05:01 PM
40 percent of the population stays behind in Galveston? Fucking crazy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/12/AR2008091201883.html?hpid=topnews

mraynrand
09-12-2008, 05:16 PM

http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A2221/222171/300_222171.jpg

?????????????????

Tyrone Bigguns
09-12-2008, 05:22 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/12/AR2008091201883.html?hpid=topnews

When you've been thru as many hurricanes as they have...you just ride them out.

Ty lived there, ty rode out hurricanes, Ty's family friends..some leaving..some staying.

It is only, at this moment a 2. If you have a decent structure and are on high ground...you ride it out.

Freak Out
09-12-2008, 05:49 PM

Ty lived there, ty rode out hurricanes, Ty's family friends..some leaving..some staying.

It is only, at this moment a 2. If you have a decent structure and are on high ground...you ride it out.

I've been to the Island a few times and don't remember seeing any high ground. :lol: Of course you've lived there and I have not so you know better than I what the terrain is like but it sounds like it is going to get nasty.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-12-2008, 06:03 PM

I've been to the Island a few times and don't remember seeing any high ground. :lol: Of course you've lived there and I have not so you know better than I what the terrain is like but it sounds like it is going to get nasty.

Yeah..i hear you. Not high ground like really high..but, you get the point.

There will for sure be some intense flooding.

Where Ty learned to swim.

http://www.cardcow.com/images/set145/card00167_fr.jpg

Where Ty first learned to eat fried seafood.

http://www.gaidosofgalveston.com/restaraunts.html

Ty lived on one of the fish streets by UT Hospital.

CyclonePackFan
09-12-2008, 06:58 PM

Ty's hit it pretty much on the head. I'm gone, but then again, this is my first hurricane. If it were a high Cat 3 or above, I have a feeling a lot more people would have left. It's too bad, they've been working hard on making Galveston a major tourist attraction, and they've been succeeding. In an instant all their hard work might be gone.

Good luck to your friends, Ty.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-12-2008, 07:07 PM

Ty's hit it pretty much on the head. I'm gone, but then again, this is my first hurricane. If it were a high Cat 3 or above, I have a feeling a lot more people would have left. It's too bad, they've been working hard on making Galveston a major tourist attraction, and they've been succeeding. In an instant all their hard work might be gone.

Good luck to your friends, Ty.

Most of them have been there for 40 years or so..and associated with UT hospital. They should be fine..keeping fingers crossed.

Freak Out
09-12-2008, 07:57 PM
I've eaten at the crab place on the seawall.

I tried to convince my parents a couple of years back to spend a winter in Galveston because it seemed to me that the town really slowed down in the winter and rents were very low (at least compared to what we are used to) and look for a place to buy. The weather was very pleasant in the winter and the town really had everything one would need. They would have none of it though....to far from the kids.

GBRulz
09-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Last night I was watching some of the coverage on the Weather Channel. I had to laugh because a streaker ran behind one of the news guys broadcasting from Beaumont. They quickly changed to another feed !!

BallHawk
09-14-2008, 10:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKwMiExUKXg

Bear costume. Hurricane. Epic.