PDA

View Full Version : Props to Romo

GrnBay007
09-11-2008, 08:08 PM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/09/11/if-tony-romo-sees-you-stranded-on-the-side-of-the-road-theres/?icid=200100397x1209154827x1200523866

Nice to hear stories like this.....

Is there nothing Tony Romo can't do? Beat the Browns? Check. Woo Jessica Simpson from John Mayer after he had already dumped her? Check. Make Wade Phillips less goofy-seeming by comparison. HUGE CHECK.

And just when you thought Romo was the model of perfection, (ugh, don't know about that!!) he goes and saves a couple from a burning automobile, somehow making him more perfect. Okay, slight exaggeration, but Romo, returning home after the Cowboys thoroughly waxed the Browns earlier in the day in Cleveland, pulled over to assist Bill and Sharon White, who were busily changing a car tire after suffering a blowout.

"I don't know, a hundred cars, probably more, had to go by. Nobody was stopping," said Bill. "That's just kind of the way it is in today's world."

And then ... "Bill was fooling with that tire, and I was standing beside the car watching him," Sharon said. "The next thing I know, a nice-looking young man, very well-dressed, but with something strange on his chin, he walked up, smiled, and said, 'Hey, you need some help?' "

Sharon hadn't even noticed a car pull up. So now it's Bill and the well-dressed young man both bent over a flat tire at midnight on a Sunday, trying to figure out why a faulty air compressor plugged into the cigarette lighter was leaking more than pumping.

Bill admitted to not getting a good look at the guy (probably didn't want to seem like he was staring at that thing on his face), but it didn't take Sharon long to figure out that she was in the presence of greatness (well, save that Seattle game from the '06 playoffs, anyhow):

"I didn't want to bother him," Sharon said, "but I asked again, 'You're Tony Romo, right?' " I knew it was him by then. But he smiled and said, 'Yes, ma'am.' " Sharon: "I did something no 50-year-old woman should be doing, but I screamed real loud, and then jumped up and hugged him."

In all seriousness, this is an amazing story, and it says a lot about Romo the person. And although it's a relatively small gesture, it's something the Whites will certainly never forget -- and probably something most of us wouldn't have even thought about doing.

Look, we're driving a 10-year old car that is sitting in a parking lot with a flat tire in the dead of night. He could tell by that we're nothing special. But here's a young man making millions of dollars, and he's got all this fame and glory, and he does this?" The Whites couldn't thank Romo enough. "But if I ever had the opportunity, I'd also like to thank two other people. His mom and dad," Bill said. "They obviously raised him right. We've got kids about his age. We know how difficult it can sometimes be in this day and age."

Well, except the part about finding the right girl. But otherwise, I couldn't agree more. And for all the mindless stories we see about "making it rain" and "puppy-murdering quarterbacks," it's refreshing to read that everybody in the NFL hasn't lost their mind.

boiga
09-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I had read that one as well. It's good to know that Romo's still a good ol' Wisconsin boy at heart. Also, I really do enjoy his giant Pepsi commercial. The stupid grin at the end is priceless.

Tony makes it harder to hate the Cowboys. Then TO says something and all is right in the world again.

GrnBay007
09-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Tony makes it harder to hate the Cowboys. Then TO says something and all is right in the world again.

:lol: :lol:

texaspackerbacker
09-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Just a typical Wisconsin boy.

You can take the kid out of Wisconsin, but you can't take Wisconsin out of the kid.

Tony Oday
09-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Good thing to see a gootball player making GOOD headlines.

Rastak
09-11-2008, 08:25 PM

Yea, that was pretty cool.

Iron Mike
09-11-2008, 09:02 PM

You can take the kid out of Wisconsin, but you can't take Wisconsin out of the kid.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=793583

MJZiggy
09-11-2008, 09:48 PM

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=793583

Harvey should like that article. It is true though about people in Wisconsin though. Only there can you get into a 5-minute conversation with the clerk at the CVS (while the guys are outside yelling for you to move it...)

MadtownPacker
09-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Not bad. It is hard to hate Romo when he aint wearing that star.

Where did you get the article? Can you post a link?

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2008, 10:28 PM
maybe Rodgers & Romo will be the next generation to replace Brady & Manning

falco
09-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Yeah, I had read that one as well. It's good to know that Romo's still a good ol' Wisconsin boy at heart. Also, I really do enjoy his giant Pepsi commercial. The stupid grin at the end is priceless.

i want to hate tony, but can't now

but for a real packer fan, its never "harder to hate the Cowboys" come on Boiga I expect better

Chevelle2
09-11-2008, 10:38 PM

That would be really cool (although I like Manning)

I see the next wave of stars at QB being headed by Romo, Rodgers and Cutler, and possibly Rivers.....and even further down the line Ryan.

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2008, 10:41 PM
the oldsters are 31 and 32, I suppose they will hold on to their crowns for a few more years.

Chevelle2
09-11-2008, 10:45 PM

That would be really cool (although I like Manning)

I see the next wave of stars at QB being headed by Romo, Rodgers and Cutler, and possibly Rivers.....and even further down the line Ryan.

MadtownPacker
09-11-2008, 10:50 PM
the oldsters are 31 and 32, I suppose they will hold on to their crowns for a few more years.Maybe Manning but I think the ballad of tom brady ended last Sunday. He will be close to 33 by the time he is fully recovered and even then he wont be the same (see Carson Palmer). If his replacement is any good I see him getting the bledsoe treatment from dirty, old belicheat.

Partial
09-11-2008, 11:21 PM
the oldsters are 31 and 32, I suppose they will hold on to their crowns for a few more years.Maybe Manning but I think the ballad of tom brady ended last Sunday. He will be close to 33 by the time he is fully recovered and even then he wont be the same (see Carson Palmer). If his replacement is any good I see him getting the bledsoe treatment from dirty, old belicheat.

Dude, you don't push out a legend like Tom Brady. Fans would not let it happen.

SnakeLH2006
09-12-2008, 01:35 AM
It's damn hard to hate on Romo...He's a deece guy, funny, smart, and maybe the best QB in the NFL this season. Yea I hate the Cowgirls, but damn if he wasn't raised right. Good stuff. Thank god we got ass-clowns like TO (I made every fucking team the best wherever I was and fuck D. McNabb), Pacman (I was just dropping dollars and my homey went and peeled that security dude yo, fo real), and Tank (gotta stay strapped cuz ya never know when Al-Quada is coming and pays the internet bill) Johnson being crazy dumbfucks so we can hate the Cowgirls. :lol: Romo is a great dude tho (just wish he stop hanging with untalented fake skanks like J. Simpson tho). Just my 2 cents. 8-)

J. Simpson is a trailer skank yo...

http://media.monstersandcritics.com/articles/1364744/article_images/headline_1192192718.jpg

MJZiggy
09-12-2008, 05:12 AM

Dude, you don't push out a legend like Tom Brady. Fans would not let it happen.

Have you been under a rock the last 6 months? Fans just learned a hard lesson on how little control they have...

Scott Campbell
09-12-2008, 06:09 AM
Have you been under a rock the last 6 months?

I've been under a rock. What'd I miss?

MJZiggy
09-12-2008, 06:13 AM
Oh nothing much...apparently they banged some particles together over in Europe somewhere...Oh and Russia's mad at some chick named Georgia. I think it's cause she won't put out or something.

Tarlam!
09-12-2008, 06:17 AM
(...)Russia's mad at some chick named Georgia. I think it's cause she won't put out or something.

OK, now, that made me go red. :oops:

Badgerinmaine
09-12-2008, 07:09 AM

Absolutely. I've heard similar stories about other athletes in the past, too. I don't like his football team at all, but that's no reason I can't like Tony Romo.